Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back!

Started by pcj, Fri 23/12/2011 02:11:26

Previous topic - Next topic

pcj

After 10 long years, we're pleased to announce the release of the latest Space Quest fangame, Vohaul Strikes Back.

We hope you enjoy playing it.  Please let us know if you have any questions.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank all the VSB developers for sticking through to the end, and all the beta testers for helping us polish the game.

I'm kind of impatient to get this released so I'll stop typing and let you get playing.  Enjoy!

(In case you missed the link above, click here to proceed to our download page.)

Also, be sure to check out our release trailer.
Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back is now available to download!

deadsuperhero

Oh my god. There goes the remainder of my free time.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Cyrus

Yoo-hoo!!! Most fangames that size die halfway in development, so thumbs up to you!

Akril15

Wow. My day just became infinitely more awesome.

Congratulations on getting this game done! I can't wait to play it.

Leon

Wow! That's a nice Christmas present  :D
On your website the direct installer isn't available:

Quote from: WebbrowserNot Found

The requested URL "/Installer_VSB.exe" was not found on this server.

All others download fine..
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

Secret Fawful

Shut up and take my money! Oh, this is free? Shut up and take my free time!

mjomble

Quote from: Leon on Fri 23/12/2011 08:44:57
Wow! That's a nice Christmas present  :D
On your website the direct installer isn't available:

Quote from: WebbrowserNot Found

The requested URL "/Installer_VSB.exe" was not found on this server.

All others download fine..

Fixed! And added an even more visible link to our forums.

And merry christmas to everyone from me as well!

We wouldn't have made it without AGS.
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).
And then tell everybody on the planet about them. And off the planet.

Dualnames

*Clap* *Clap* *Clap* *Clap*

Gentlemen, I salute you.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Radiant

How on earth is the installer 70 megabyte smaller than the zipfile?  :P

Yeah anyway, downloading now because this looks cool. I'll be back in this thread when I've had time to play the game. Congrats on completing a game of this magnitude!

pcj

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 23/12/2011 14:37:14
How on earth is the installer 70 megabyte smaller than the zipfile?  :P

Better compression, I didn't really go all out on compressing the zip file...

doctorfargo

Total coolness!  ;D

Downloading right now!

sthomannch

Excellent game! Very funny, nice graphics and cool puzzles

Azure

Holy crap, I remember recording some VO for this...then somehow kind of stalled ( which is unusual for me, I usually record everything I promise to). I'm so glad you guys finished this. Downloading now!
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

pcj

Quote from: Azure on Fri 23/12/2011 23:43:40
Holy crap, I remember recording some VO for this...then somehow kind of stalled ( which is unusual for me, I usually record everything I promise to). I'm so glad you guys finished this. Downloading now!

Not your fault, we just had more script changes come up than we expected.  We'll probably pick you up for the talkie version if you're still interested. 

mjomble

Heh, your name just went up on the website (in the team credits on the updated about page) about half an hour ago :D
You should play Vohaul Strikes Back and Incinerations (they both happen to be fan made Space Quest sequels made with AGS).

Azure

Quote from: pcj on Fri 23/12/2011 23:45:36

Not your fault, we just had more script changes come up than we expected.  We'll probably pick you up for the talkie version if you're still interested. 
Sure thing just PM or email me when you need me.
www.voiceacting.space - Casting Calls for voice actors

Cyrus

Brilliant writing and graphics (I particularly liked the "Copyright protection" part), but in my opinion the game has more of a LucasArts-ish feeling rather than Sierra-ish and Space Quest-ish. By the way, is this pie from the Act 5 of CMI?  ;)

olzen

I had to register an account here, so I could actually let you guys know how much I appreciate all the feedback we've gotten so far. Having been working on this since I had zits all over my face and was looking forward to SQ7, it really means a lot  that you people are enjoying it.

As for Cyrus' question, the pie is an original sprite drawn by Marty. I don't know if he deliberately went for the CMI pie-look ;) As to the feel of the game, you're probably right. Thing is - we're all huge LucasArts fans as well (I'll admit that I always preferred LucasArts' style over Sierra's), and you can definitely tell. But heck, maybe we'll see die-hard LucasArts-fans getting into "Space Quest" now ;D

Again, glad you're all having fun with the game. And don't forget to explore everything - you may find a few surprises along the way!

piperhcombs

Having fun so far, but I've run into a couple of problems/bugs:

Roger can get stuck in place
Spoiler
on the gate screen (to the left of the Colonel's tent) rendering him able to talk to everyone on the screen but unable to move anywhere including off screen. I had to kill myself via electric fence to get out of it.
[close]

Also, the entire game froze when
Spoiler
I had Roger put on the surgical mask after entering the sewer- I had already died once because I stood in the sewer too long- the cursor changed to the wait icon after I used the mask and then the game froze.
[close]
:cheers: + :claps:

Temperance&Booth  Sydney&Vaughn  Nadia&Weiss

mjomble

Quote from: piperhcombs on Sat 24/12/2011 09:21:05
Having fun so far, but I've run into a couple of problems/bugs: ...

Thanks for the report, we'll try and get this fixed in the next update.
I've also re-posted it on our bugs subforum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk