* Jetpack Sam

Started by steptoe, Thu 29/12/2011 21:44:27

Previous topic - Next topic

steptoe

Hi

-------------Jetpack Sam---------------

Do any of you remember the  80's Dos game Dangerous Dave?

Games in those day would fit on a Floppy.

Simple stuff be we got hooked and the rest is history  ;)

Well, here I have done a loose version of Dangerous Dave, updated but still with that Dos feel for those of you who can remember the good old days of Dos.

As the title suggests, Jetpack Sam flies around with his Jetpack trying to collect precious gems, gold and silver.

There are some changes to the original game and there are Bonus and Secret Areas to discover as well as mystery balls with random outcomes.

Loads of levels which includes:

* Jaws
* Hot pants
* Crispy duck
* Snakes alive
* Great balls of fire
* Don't lose you head
* Pressing engagement

and loads more......

There are enticing traps along the way such as raging fires, moving spikes, electrical arcs, swinging blades and much more to try and stop you!

L Mouse button controls Walk/Fly and R Mouse button controls Jet power up.

Below images subject to some change which will be shown at a later POST below:

Specs:

16 bit colour
320 x 240 resolution
Game progress: 10% 20% 30%

steptoe

It's not over until the fat lady sings..

poc301

Never heard of it, but reminds me of a game similar to what you've described, called "Space Taxi".  I used to love that thing.  It was also DOS based.

-Bill

NickyNyce

This looks pretty cool steptoe, you have been a busy bee I see. With a game like this, controls are everything, I'm interested to see how you pull this off.

Good luck with it

steptoe

Hi Guys

I've just read that Dangerous Dave came out in 1988!

NickyNyce: well, nothing is ever easy.

With some help from the script gods and my own hard work, I have attempted to re-live that 'Dos feel' and  hope this game fulfills my efforts.

Although Dos was keyboard controlled this game is mainly controlled by mouse but keys can be used as a secondary option..

poc301: Iv'e never heard of Space Taxi, I'll have to check it out.

Come on you testers, show yourselves  ;)

:=

Baron

I remember Space Taxi from my Commodore 64 days!  But your game reminds me more of Jetpack.  Up until a couple years ago my buddy and I would still send each other levels we'd constructed using the in-game level editor.  Oh, the silliness.....  Anyway, good luck!

Igor Hardy

Oooh, I remember playing some cool jetpack shareware games back in the early 90s. Probably clones of the titles that you mention here.

Sektor 13

Hehe, before i started to read your post, pictures reminded me of Dangerous Dave 1 :). So i think you are close.

Well, i like Dangerous Dave 2 the best, but it is almost completely different game.

Keep on the good work !

ShiverMeSideways

Hey, I like this!

While I hated Dave 1 (but loved Dave 2) - couldn't finish either, what this game really reminds me of, at least from the screen, is Jetpack: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetpack_(video_game). If you could add in an editor, I know I'd be sold! :D

However, make sure the gameplay is solid, because in a game like this, there really isn't that much room for error, the platforming must be spot on and the controls tight! At first, I didn't like the graphics, but they grew on me, they have that old '90s QBasic feel to them.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with this! :)

steptoe

Hi

Sektor 13: Dave 2 never heard of, I'll check it out.

Edit: Seen Dave 2 on Youtube, cool  :D

ShiverMeSideways: I've seen Jetpack screens and it's similar in a way but mine is not quite as busy, as we speak that is.

Adding an editor would be a great idea. I think Lemmings or Worms had this.

The room graphics are not meant to be à la perfick (dos was very pixel orientated) and I'm glad they grew on you ;)

I am naturally trying to make the game play as user friendly and solid as possible.

Jetpack Sam is not gravity based though :'( Mind you, if I get some decent comment reviews maybe Jetpack Sam 2 will?

Still, much work to do and so many levels to create.

Edit: revised shots soon.

Cheers guys

:=

steptoe

Levels include:

* Jaws
* Hot pants
* Rolled over
* Crispy duck
* Snakes alive
* Great balls of fire
* Don't lose you head
* Pressing engagement
* Ocotopussy

You start off with 6 lives so be carefull!

Game progress: 98%
Graphics: 99%
Sounds: 96%

TESTER WANTED! Game almost finished.

Some updated screenshots:

ArKaN01D

This looks awesome! ;D I haven't played Dangerous Dave, this sure is reminding me of Jetpak, a game I used to play for hours on end.
I'm always right. And don't try to argue because someone who's always right is gonna be right about always being right!

steptoe

Hi ArKaN01D

Lots have mentioned Jetpak. I see there is jetpak-solar-crisis. I'll download it.

Just played some. Great game  :=

Mine is more a venture into doing a mouse click game.

I have sent you a PM.

Cheers

steptoe

steptoe

Game tweaked and almost ready.

Your full game stats at the end will tell you how you done.

Beginning Info shot:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk