I need help developing a story.

Started by Renodox, Sat 31/12/2011 02:51:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Renodox

I had a dream a couple nights ago and I think that it would make a GREAT plot for a game.

"I found myself on the set for the movie The Lion King, but what was weird about it was that Nala was just as big as me.  When I looked at the size of the set I realized that something was wrong and discovered that I was Simba!  Anyway, I noticed that I was wearing a strange badge on my chest.

Moving on... I later met up with Timon who ALSO had a badge.  He mentioned that he was not the real Timon the Meerkat and had been human too.  However, neither one of us knew how this happened.  We decided to try and remove each other's badges as neither one of us could do so ourselves.  Together we succeeded but the badges connected to the new host bodies and we switched bodies!"

Anyway, I came up with this game plot: You start out in an animal body.  However, you know that you are not an animal and are: in fact, human.  You notice that you are wearing a badge but you are a quadruped and the badge is in a spot you cannot reach it with your mouth.  So, you start the game trying to find a way to remove the badge.  When you finally get another to remove the badge for you, you switch bodies.  This means you play as a different animal for a while.  As the game progresses, you learn how to remove the badge yourself (if you can do so in that body) but you cannot remain outside of a body.  Therefore, you attach the badge to other animals to take that form.  Each form comes with new capabilities but also opens you to new dangers.

During the game, you discover that there are other people who are also trapped in animal bodies due to these badges and none of them know the full story about how or why it happened.  You mission: find your true body, discover how to deactivate all the badges to save everyone, and discover who's doing this and for what purpose.

Anyway, I think this can make a pretty elaborate game plot but I'm having difficulty coming up with an engaging story.  If someone is willing to help me out with a storyline I'd be appreciative of it.  Thanks.

poc301

Never saw the movie, so I don't know much about it, but I do know it is copyrighted material (Lion King).  And seeing as how Disney just released a 3D version of it, and I think it is, or was, on broadway, they might not want you doing anything with their intellectual property.  If it was some old and abandoned property from 20-30+ years ago, maybe, but I'd be leery of them sending a cease and desist.

-Bill

Renodox

No, no, you misunderstand.  I'm NOT suggesting that we do a movie about The Lion King.  That was just the litteral, subconscious thoughts when you're asleep, dream I had that spurred this idea.

The IDEA is that we make a game about switching bodies with animals trying to solve a mystery and recover your true form.

Icey

Grim

Interesting... I think, for me it would only work if characters were presented as humans wearing some kind of really lame animal costumes with badges on them, instead of real-looking animals. That would add a great layer of abstract weirdness to it.

Oh, and I'd place it in a zoo.

The main character, stuck behind bars, one day realizes that he is in fact a human and therefore shouldn't be held captive in form of an exhibition. But nobody believes him. The only thing that keeps him from insanity and reassures him that he needs to break free is that badge, that has a very normal name on it, a name you wouldn't give to an animal. Something like Brian, or Steve.
   When he eventually manages to communicate with a gorilla in a neighboring cage, it turns out his name is Bob, and he has known about all this for a while now... But maybe if they work together, there is some way they can convince everyone there's been a mistake and they don't belong in a zoo?

Animals can get mental illnesses just like humans. This would be an interesting premise to explore that. Especially in a place like zoo, where they are surrounded by people, they can sometimes (perhaps) start thinking they are actually humans. Home pets do that, I'm sure. In fact, since it's really against nature to keep animals at home, most pets suffer from some bizzare dellusions...

Renodox

That's not really what I was looking for.  While I do want some rather exotic animals to be in it, this is a game that spans several areas.  Even different reigons of the world.

The badge is sort of what holds the person's mind/soul.  That is why when the badge is so important.  When the badge is put on a new body, it transfers you into that body.

I want this to be a fresh new idea kind of game.  Unfortunately, escape from captivity is kind of a common theme.

Thank you for the feedback though.

Ghost

The idea is pretty cool, and there's popular african/native american myths revolving around that concept: People being able to turn into animals. Discworld uses it frequently too.

Swapping bodies as you describe it- to gain abilities that allow you to solve puzzles- has been done frequently, so I suggest you concentrate on the story: Where does the badge come from? How does the player see this ability: Blessing, curse? Does turning into an animal affect the players mind maybe, so that at a certain point he won't be able to change back? Is there one big goal to reach?

You got a concept that allows you a lot of freedom, and it would be fun to explore a few rooms in different animal bodies, I think.

Renodox

Yes, there is a major goal to complete.  The thing is that you're not caught up in a truly isolated incident.  There are SEVERAL people who are in this trouble.  Thing is: nobody know just WHY.  SO while it is a goal to return to your normal self, you need to learn why is this happening and maybe even find a way to stop it.

What I'm looking for is a person who's good at writing stories for games to help me write one.  No I don't intend for him or her to do all it alone, but I can't do it myself either.

Anian

So wait...how does the world function? I mean is everybody turned into animals and is this like antropomorphic animals, what about the world outside the movie set?

Quote from: Grim on Sat 31/12/2011 04:30:25
Interesting... I think, for me it would only work if characters were presented as humans wearing some kind of really lame animal costumes with badges on them, instead of real-looking animals. That would add a great layer of abstract weirdness to it.

Oh, and I'd place it in a zoo.

The main character, stuck behind bars, one day realizes that he is in fact a human and therefore shouldn't be held captive in form of an exhibition. But nobody believes him. The only thing that keeps him from insanity and reassures him that he needs to break free is that badge, that has a very normal name on it, a name you wouldn't give to an animal. Something like Brian, or Steve.
   When he eventually manages to communicate with a gorilla in a neighboring cage, it turns out his name is Bob, and he has known about all this for a while now... But maybe if they work together, there is some way they can convince everyone there's been a mistake and they don't belong in a zoo?

Animals can get mental illnesses just like humans. This would be an interesting premise to explore that. Especially in a place like zoo, where they are surrounded by people, they can sometimes (perhaps) start thinking they are actually humans. Home pets do that, I'm sure. In fact, since it's really against nature to keep animals at home, most pets suffer from some bizzare dellusions...
I like this, animal costumes, and other people visit them in the zoo, then there's some people who actually like to be animals and maybe start to forget they ever were humans (they start acting like animals, scratching, swinging from trees).
Then the plot could be either animals that think they're human or evil zookeeper who actually abducted them...they could even be children who got abducted and are slowly turned into animals - you have to save them before it's too late.
Or or or make even weirder and maybe slightly less original - kids don't get turned into animals but into cirkus freaks for a carnival and the evil ring master is doing it...there, now I've gone totally unoriginal and it wasn't even my intention.  :(
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Cyrus

Quote from: Grim on Sat 31/12/2011 04:30:25

I love that idea! But I agree with Renodox that there could be more to the plot than escaping from captivity. I also think this game can have really strange and absurdistic graphic style, maybe some combination of cartoony and realistic.

Icey

How about make it were there is a lab were they test animal genes on human to see the end results. Then there is a break out in another part of the lab and when you notice that they didn't strap you in fully that's when you get up to try to see what's going on. It seems like one of the big muscled guy that they was experimenting on with a lion gene has became enraged and has started attacking the scientist. Some how you have been noticed and every now thinks you about to team up with the lion dude. It's up to you to escape this place and at times you may run into the lion dude who you may need to help cause her sick daughter is there somewhere in the research facility.

RickJ

I think the people are all in some sort of comma.  There is some sort of medical device strapped to their chests.  It monitors their physical condition and provides physiological stimulus.  The badges on their animal bodies is a metaphor for the medical device strapped to their human chest.

Their animal forms exist in a shared dreamscape.  Apparently all the medical devices are interconnected making the shared dreamscape possible.  It's not clear at this point if this is by design or by accident.

Removal of a badge symbolizes disconnection of the medical device.  Although the device remains connected symbolically disconnecting it blocks it's physiological affects.  

The animal forms are symbolic of the different personality traits of each individual (as in classic Greek philosophy, lions are brave, foxes are clever, chickens are chicken, etc).  Without the physiological stimulation from the medical device there is distress, confusion, anxiety, etc.  In this state different aspects of personality are able to emerge, personified by different animal forms.

So why are these people in a coma and connected to mysterious medical devices?  I suppose you'll have to play the game to find out!  :=

Icey

So the people would be in a dream world were they become animals? if that's the case then have it were they are all hooked up to the same computer but are in different location depending on the animal type.

Also do I sense another swarm game in the works? nah, but it would be a cool idea.

Renodox

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE POSTING

I don't want it to be humans in animal costumes, it's not a transformation that reflects your heart and mind, it is not a dream, and it's not anthromorphic animals.

If you want any of these ideas for your own game then feel free to use it.  I won't mind nor complain.

However, for my story the basis is: Someone has found a way to put a person's essence into a badge and has been placing them on different animals from around the world.  When a badge containing someone's essence is placed on an animal that person's mind takes over the animal's body.  Who ends up in what body seems to be random.  The people are fully aware of what has happened to them: they know they were human and now they are trapped in an animal body.  You are one of these people.  However, due to a malfunction in your badge you are able to remove the badge and you can place it onto a different animal body and take on that form.  You cannot change into any animal you want at will: some animals won't allow you to place the badge on them, and you can only turn into an animal that's in the immediate area.

While changing bodies is necessary in the game, there are several ways to complete a task depending on which body you inhabit. 

Sometimes, it will be necessary to inhabit the body of an animal you may not want to be because of the "inconveniences" they face.  I.E. If you must inhabit the body of a cow you must endure how it feels to be milked. 

True sex will not occur in the game.  You may have to deal with other animals being attracted to you but you never want to be with them.

The animal bodies will remain the same as any real animal in the world.  This way, the badge cannot just be plucked off the body if he animal doesn't have hands. 

You will have some urges that the real animal has which may be trouble for you and you have to fight it.

For the most part, your character sees the change as a curse, and starts to get used to it and learn the advantages of being able to take on other bodies in time.  The ultimate goal to return to true form remains, however. 

Until the game finally ends you cannot return to your true form.

Please stick to these criteria.

LetterAfterZ

This concept reminds me a bit of the blue crystal (iirc) from Zac McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders.

It was an object you could use on any animal to essentially posess it.

For example you needed to become a bird in peru to fly into this ancient ruin, you could become a yak (in which your only command was chew cud), you could become your gold fish (swim left, swim right), I think a racoon or something as well.. can't remember what else.

Such a cool game...

But yeah, I think this concept sounds great ... what would happen if you stuck the badge on another human?

Tabata

Sounds to me like there could be someone behind the scenes, who is reaching for power.
He found and hired a mad scientist, who is now testing his newest development.
Soldiers with this badges are very useful:
They can be set as a spy or weapon, whatever is needed to infiltrate and also to conquer (depends on the animal chosen).
There weren't voluntary for such a test and so they catched some people - like you/the player, who awakes in a body of an animal and has to find a way to escape.

Dualnames

Hey Renodox!! Glad to see you around, again!!  :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

LRH

Neat idea, but I'd like to add something as the guy who has made many games about/based on/ featuring dreams. Many times your dream will seem very surreal and exciting in your memory, but when you put it into the form of a game, it can be very difficult to achieve the same emotions and surroundings found in your dream. I say plan all you can first.

Eggie

It IS a neat idea. But yeah, as Domithan said, the main thing now is to plan out how exactly all the nuts and bolts of this idea fit together in a game.
An intuitive way of switching badges seems important, but don't be too explicit. The idea of figuring out on my own that I can possess these various animals and figure out how to use their abilities on my own is very appealing.

Renodox

QuoteNeat idea, but I'd like to add something as the guy who has made many games about/based on/ featuring dreams. Many times your dream will seem very surreal and exciting in your memory, but when you put it into the form of a game, it can be very difficult to achieve the same emotions and surroundings found in your dream. I say plan all you can first.

That's why I'm looking for help.  I tried to make a game myself a long ways back and I discovered that it's a heck of a lot harder to do than I had hoped.  I eventually scrapped the idea on the basis that I would've been too ashamed to ever show my face on the net again if I put that up.  I've done some research on the matter, learned a few things, and I concluded that before I do anything I need to make a story.  A story that can have several paths (like a choose-your-own-adventure story) and is open enough to put some mechanics in it.  As for the mood being the same as the dream, I know THAT'S not going to happen.  I can't even use the exact same idea as the dream had (I would like to use a certain line from it but you'll have to ask about it before I say what it is).  But, you've done some games: would you please help me out?  Or do you know someone else who might?

Quote... what would happen if you stuck the badge on another human?
I haven't really thought of that.  Right now, I would say that the badge could be transported by the other human but it would not take effect on the human.  The concept of the badges being used on animals is like an episode of The New Batman Adventures: "Animal Act."  The Mad Hatter figures out how to mind control animals from a distance (it seems like miles) but he claims that with humans it still requires proximity.

Essencially, it's the concept that human will and intelligence is more powerful than animals.  So, since you are a human (in mind) your will is no stronger than that of a human's and therefore not strong enough to overcome a human's ego.  Although, I could see a sequel where the tech is "perfected" and you can also switch with humans.  I can even see the concept of such a thing being introduced in this game.  It's a work in progress.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk