Deepest Quotes In Games

Started by Renodox, Sat 31/12/2011 04:19:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Renodox

I've decided to try my hand and writing a top ten list for GameFAQs and I thought a list of the deepest quotes from games would be an interesting read. However, I don't know that many quotes that seemed to be inspiring or insightful. So, I'm asking you what you think is a deep quote from a game, any system, any game. Just please let me know what the game is and who said it.

I have two:

1. Fate is not like the cut of a sword, rather the myraid of cracks when a hammer strikes ice.
-King's Quest 6, The Oracle

2. You cannot tell if a chest holds a treasure until you open it.
-Link's Awakening, The Owl

Babar

There is a fine line between corny and deep
- Babar the Un-elephant :P

As far as deep sentiments go, I dunno...the Longest Journey may have had a few lines?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Igor Hardy

Sacrifices have been made. But isn't that the truth behind all of man's glorious endeavors? The pyramids were built on the backs of a thousand slaves. The coliseum was built on the blood of the gladiators. Empires were built on the lives of their soldiers.
Black Dahlia, Agent Winslow

It's actually much better in the context of the story, of the scene and with the main character's response to it, but you're looking only for individual lines, right? :P

Grim Fandango has got lots of great ones, but my brain's memory banks are pretty tired today.

Anian

Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 31/12/2011 13:42:36
Grim Fandango has got lots of great ones, but my brain's memory banks are pretty tired today.
Indeed, thankfully there's whole qikiquotes and stuff out there. But basically every chat in GF is filled with life's (death's?) little truths, stuff like:

As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

GarageGothic

Quote from: anian on Sat 31/12/2011 14:33:06
Quote from: Ascovel on Sat 31/12/2011 13:42:36
Indeed, thankfully there's whole qikiquotes and stuff out there. But basically every chat in GF is filled with life's (death's?) little truths, stuff like:

As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself.

"Nobody knows what's gonna happen at the end of the line, so we might as well enjoy the trip"

Always liked that one.

Also TLJ, courtesy of wikiquote:

April: How can you do that? How can you remember every story ever told?
    The Teller: The secret is to tell them often, and to tell them in your own words, not the words of your ancestors.
    April: Doesn't that mean that the stories change with every generation?
    The Teller: Yes, as all Tales must. Change is important, otherwise the Tales will have no meaning to us... They will be just words, and we do not care about the words. We care about what the words tell us.

veryweirdguy

I'm not sure how deep they are (I suppose depth in poetry is the most subjective thing in existence ever), but I've always liked:

"It shone, pale as bone
As I stood there alone
And I thought to myself how the moon,
hat night, cast its light
On my heart's true delight,
And the reef where her body was strewn. "

and:

With boney hands I hold my partner
On soulless feet we cross the floor
The music stops as if to answer
An empty knocking at the door
It seems his skin was sweet as mango
When last I held him to my breast
But now we dance this grim fandango
And will four years before we rest.

Both from Grim Fandango, of course.

Dang, reading the memorable quotes from that game just makes me want some kind of HD remake or update or something. Or to dig out my copy.

Ghost

Phantasmagoria.  :=
"What do you want for dinner tomorrow?"
"Ah, dunno. Maybe a salad. Some tuna."

No, seriously. That's deep.

Babar

I had forgotten about Grim Fandango!

That game was so awesome. Each line was a goldmine. And vwg just posted my favourite moon-related bit of poetry :P.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Dualnames

Probably the deepest line ever, in a game. I think it's just bloody perfect.

"You wake up in a gas station. You remember everything."
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Armageddon

"Dat banana might come in handy."

Igor Hardy

"Und ze glitters like feuer - exactly as Plato described!"

A bit of heavy names dropping in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Grim

Quote from: Dualnames on Sat 31/12/2011 20:54:05
Probably the deepest line ever, in a game. I think it's just bloody perfect.

"You wake up in a gas station. You remember everything."

Seconded! This single line (well, two sentences, really) had convinced me to play the game better than a million dollar trailer would;)

Also, thanks for bringing up Grim Fandango quotes. Sweet nostalgia.... ;)

TerranRich

“The world’s full of lies. There’s no way of knowing what’s right. All we can do is believe in ourselves. It’s easy to sit back and let people trick you. … I’m done with their lies. … From here on out I use my own eyes. Think.” â€" Hope, Final Fantasy XIII (haven't played it myself, but I read it somewhere)

ddq

"As I hung by my neck gently swinging from side to side, I couldn't help but

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Just kidding
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Renodox

Quote from: TerranRich on Sun 01/01/2012 08:03:20
“The world’s full of lies. There’s no way of knowing what’s right. All we can do is believe in ourselves. It’s easy to sit back and let people trick you. … I’m done with their lies. … From here on out I use my own eyes. Think.” â€" Hope, Final Fantasy XIII (haven't played it myself, but I read it somewhere)

Thank you.  THAT'S a good line that I can use.  And you even told me where to find it.  Thanks a million for it.  Woul you like your name to be put up on a "Thanks To" list?

Calin Leafshade

Quote from: ddq on Sun 01/01/2012 10:38:03
"As I hung by my neck gently swinging from side to side, I couldn't help but

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Just kidding
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

That would be a mood-setting line rather than a line with some kind of resolution associated with it.

So even your irony doesn't work.

Fail.

ddq

You know, Steve, that's my second favorite thing about you (right after your sexy, sexy voice). Your complete inability to deal with friendly teasing. I like that in a woman

Calin Leafshade

My favourite thing about you is *your face*

ddq

Armageddon

I want to get a kitty face in here.

:3

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk