MAGS January: "The Pub" (WINNER)

Started by Atelier, Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'The Pub'

This month's guidelines were set by icey:

Create a game featuring a pub, bar, or club in some way. The pub could be a visited location in the game, but if it's not, reference to the pub and it's importance in the plot/action of the game is sufficient.

Ideas to help you:

• The player meets a shady pub-lurker in the corner, who has a nefarious proposition for them.
• A ghost-hunter is called in to investigate a haunted pub.
• A pub bet is taken to the next level...
• An elderly couple save up enough to become proprietors of their dream pub.

Ending 31/1/12

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Ghost

Ah. All great adventures start in a pup, usually in the cellar, where there are giant rats and jellymoulds, your first conveninent money drops, and (somewhat unexplained) merchants who give you your starting stuff. The DSA stories I could tell... *fond memories*.

Time to get the BakeSale out of my system, I'm starting to get a taste for these MAGS things.

Icey

I won't be making a game for this mags. Instead I will be offering help to those who plan to enter :]

Bogdan

Hi
I was wondering if you could answer my question.
So, I am working on this game for quite a while.
I have finished all the backgrounds and maybe 5-10% of scripting.
But I have still a lot of work to do in the game (there are no dialogues, few more character have to be imported, there is no music, nor sounds, ...).
Since I read from your(Atelier's) post that "...game must be completely new!".
Does this mean that I can't enter MAGS if I finish it on time? Because I think it would not be fair from my side to enter the competition with a game that I was working on for a long time. By the way I forgot the mention the most important thing, and why I am so interested in joining this MAGS - my game is about ghost hunting AND there is a pub as one of few locations you can visit and gather a lot of information about ghosts and the haunted area.

Thanks in forward.

Icey

I think the only way it would be able to get in this mags is if(And I hope this works) Atelier let's me make 3 trophies for this mags. The voting stays the same so if you get the most votes then you get the 1st place golden trophy. 2nd and 3rd place winners will receive the silver(2nd) and the bronze(3rd).

Truth be told I don't it will effect the MAGS rules by a long shot seeing how the OSD one let you use older osd sprites to make your entire. But....there was a reason to that cause OSD is open source.

Atelier

Quote from: Bogdan on Tue 03/01/2012 18:11:50
Hi
I was wondering if you could answer my question.
So, I am working on this game for quite a while.
I have finished all the backgrounds and maybe 5-10% of scripting.
But I have still a lot of work to do in the game (there are no dialogues, few more character have to be imported, there is no music, nor sounds, ...).
Since I read from your(Atelier's) post that "...game must be completely new!".
Does this mean that I can't enter MAGS if I finish it on time? Because I think it would not be fair from my side to enter the competition with a game that I was working on for a long time. By the way I forgot the mention the most important thing, and why I am so interested in joining this MAGS - my game is about ghost hunting AND there is a pub as one of few locations you can visit and gather a lot of information about ghosts and the haunted area.

Thanks in forward.

It's fine :) Because I know from experience that time working on a game ≠ relative effort on the game. It might be true in your case I'm not sure, but it's not true that a game that has spent longer 'in the making' has actually had that much time solely dedicated to it. The only real way to guage it is by hours worked exclusively on the game. But even then that doesn't factor in the productivity of the hour.

Ah, I'll stop rambling. Until I receive a poison pen letter written in blood, it's ok to enter and good luck :)

OneDollar

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 03/01/2012 19:17:08
It's fine :)

I'm too attached to my blood to write you a letter, but I don't agree. The spirit of MAGS has always been that games should be new and created solely for the current month's competition. The exception to this is using materials that are freely available, for example music, graphics and modules. This covers the Oceanspirit Dennis games Icey is talking about because they are new games based on assets that are free for everyone to use.

So I would have said that Bogdan's entry wouldn't be covered, unless he released everything he made before the month started to give all the MAGS entrants the same start. Even then I still think it goes against the spirit of the rules as you are supposed to be *making* a game, not adapting or finishing a game. Otherwise I could fix up one of my old MAGS entries and release a much better version this month because it has a pub in it.

Still, you're in charge of MAGS so I guess it's your call.

Ghost

I agree with OneDollar because this really can turn into a spiral. I have games around that I've been tinkering on for ages, with lots of polish and all the time I wanted. If I can easily put them in as a MAGS just by finding a convenient "hook", where's the fairness? Having one month for a game is a strict and harsh deadline but also part of the fun, and MAGS games have their own category anyways, to indicate that they are not made under "normal circumstances".
A theme that provides assets/allows usage of them is one thing, yes, but I somehow liked MAGS for stating that a game has to be specifically made for it.

That 's not to offend anyone! Not Bogdan and especially not one of the best hosts MAGS ever had. Just my opinion.

Bogdan

I am sorry I never really ought to cause this unexpected commotion.
I won't compete in MAGS with this game. Besides, It will just make me more time to polish it and finish it. :)

Khris

Not sure I have any say in this matter since I never entered even one MAGS but if I do: a decisive "no" to entering with a game started before the beginning of the current month.
That's just absurd, no matter the circumstances; it's like entering a car in a horse race. (Or a bicycle, the point is, something that isn't a horse.)

(Btw, I plan to enter a shitty 5 minute game into every MAGS that doesn't get entries from now on, please start polishing my trophies whoever's responsible.)

Atelier

If it's the will of the people then ok. ;)

But still, the point I was getting at was that working on something for "quite a while" doesn't mean it is close to completion. I mean, 5% of scripting, no music or sounds, no dialogues, and still lacking imported characters doesn't sound like it's got an inordinate head start from people just joining. We can also trust Bogdan on that otherwise he wouldn't have been truthful enough to ask in the first place. I reckon a game with those completion statistics would be undistinguishable from another entry at the end of the month.

But yes, all backgrounds finished definitely changes that, as well as a convenient theme (which may/may not be relevant, because all entries would have similar themes anyway; apart from providing a 'get-in' clause). Primarily I just didn't want anybody to miss out. In future though I will definitely be less slack on that rule.

Quote from: Khris on Tue 03/01/2012 21:08:44
(Btw, I plan to enter a shitty 5 minute game into every MAGS that doesn't get entries from now on, please start polishing my trophies whoever's responsible.)

Woo!

Quote from: Bogdan on Tue 03/01/2012 21:07:43
I am sorry I never really ought to cause this unexpected commotion.
I won't compete in MAGS with this game. Besides, It will just make me more time to polish it and finish it. :)

I'll look out for it in Completed Games ;)

ddq

Yeah, you've got to do it all within the month. That's kinda the point of MAGS.

Ponch

Since we're discussing MAGs so thoroughly, I have a question: What if I wanted to tell a story in an existing series, but used all new assets to tell it?

For example, what if I wanted to tell the story of a person living in the universe of Barn Runner, but the player character, his sprite, GUI, etc was all new and the backgrounds and objects and stuff were also new. Would that be acceptable, since the story and the art was made for MAGs, even if the universe is borrowed?

I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but I've never asked until now. So thanks, Bogdan, for opening this can of worms.  :D

Icey

That would work.... I think

Armageddon

I'm sure that's fine, how many OSD games were made for MAGS in the last three months?

Radiant

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 04/01/2012 02:33:18
Since we're discussing MAGs so thoroughly, I have a question: What if I wanted to tell a story in an existing series, but used all new assets to tell it?

I feel that should be okay - I did a RON game for MAGS a couple years ago (when the theme was not RON-related), and nobody objected to that.

Ponch

Okay. As per the new rules, I am officially declaring that I'm in. Look for my game at the end of the month... maybe.  8)

Ghost

You're brave. I'm still sufering adrenalin and caffeine withdrawal, and when I close my eyes I see "z"ombies dancing with an @. Maybe next month...

Moogle

i read up on the new rules in the last thread. Boy was that a lot of back and forth but glad to see it was resolved. I would like to make a game for this competition but i just one question. What if you don't know how to create music?
OSD online

Ghost

Ask around here. There are several talented musicians on the forums, just post a request here or in the recruit thread.
Alternatively, use free/public domain music.

Moogle

that's right I almost forgot about about that part of the forums. I'll give that a shot. thanks.
OSD online

Sane Co.

Atelier should post the revised rules on the MAGS main page, or in each post, so new people won't go against them without knowing.
Sane Co.

Ghost

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 10/01/2012 05:56:42
You're brave. I'm still sufering adrenalin and caffeine withdrawal, and when I close my eyes I see "z"ombies dancing with an @. Maybe next month...

I restate. I am also brave, I have gotten rid of the superfluous caffeine, and I am officially entering this MAGS.
Screenshot upcoming really very soonishly.

Radiant

Quote from: Sane Co. on Wed 11/01/2012 05:29:21
Atelier should post the revised rules on the MAGS main page, or in each post, so new people won't go against them without knowing.
I thought we were merely discussing the first draft so far, with several people opining  that formalized rules aren't necessary in the first place?

Kasander

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48
First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee.

I can easily meet first and second criteria, but about third, that's another cup of coffe (since I'm greenhorn in AGS). Nevertheless, I would like to participate in this month's MAGS.

I don't want to spoil too much about my game, and some things are still to decide. But this I know for sure:
- the protagonist is a young girl from 1910s-1920s
- the game will take place in a dreamy, weird world
- there will be an inn in it ;)

I have another (non-AGS) project on my mind at the moment, but I'll do my best and will try to make it on time.
Cheers to all the other participants! ;D

Atelier

Hi Kasander and welcome, your entry sounds interesting :D And Ghost, I'm glad you could make it back in :) So it's almost half way and it's shaping up nicely.

Ghost

Okay, this is taking shape... progress is steady. Seems like I can make it to the deadline.

Might & Magic VII. Need I say more? The game was huge, full of quests, and there was a party of unlikely heroes trying to save the world.
Well, technically. Because the epic game also had TAVERNS, and in those taverns, you could play ARCOMAGE, a simple Magic clone.
Rumour has it that quite a number of players never bothered with the game's main quest. They sat in the taverns and played Arcomage.

So here it is- a blatant ripoff faithful recreation of the game that once was played in every pub, nonchalantly called:
A Game Of Cards About Powerhungry Wizards Who Try To Wreck Each Other's Tower With Spells And Beasts While Keeping Their Own Tower Intact (Note to self: Working Title!)

Dualnames

Ghost, this looks AAAWWWWWEWEWEWEWEWEWEWSSOSOSOSOSOSOSOSMMMMMEEEEEE!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

CaptainD

I think Acromage was in M&M VIII as well.  Loved it!  (But did complete the main quest, stupid though it was - never completed M&MVII, too buggy trying to get it to work on Vista even in compatability mode).

Anyway, I digress - I can't wait to play A Game Of Cards About Powerhungry Wizards Who Try To Wreck Each Other's Tower With Spells And Beasts While Keeping Their Own Tower Intact!  A name that Leonard of Quirm himself would be proud of!  ;D

You could always call it AGOCAPWWTTWEOTWSABWKEOTI for short.

Actually, Agocapwa has a nice ring to it.

Radiant

I just realized that neither the original Arcomage nor the free remake runs on my computer, so please finish this :)

Ghost

Yes, I think after MM7 it was in every Might&Magic. The cool thing is that the rules are all there, so no inventing cards or need to tweak. Even if I can't make it to the deadline (3+34=102 cards eat a lot of art), I'll defenitely see this through.
In 320x240, too. Low-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

Thanks for the comments, lads, now get your own MAGS started!

CaptainD is also resposible for a possible title: Agocapwa = Age o' Card War

Calin Leafshade

QuoteLow-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

I love this sentence.

Tabata

Nostalgic Cards-War?
Nice idea - we are going nostalgic and we will play strong card-fights in the pub ;D

QuoteLow-res is so much nicer than 640x480 (which is also low res, but less so).

It's a real Ghost's Glimpse - and I like it, too!

How about a little interim report from the "rest" of the participants, too?
... and maybe a screenie ?
... and ...
I would love to get some information about all the MAGS-games in work  ;)

Ponch

I should have a screenie up before Friday.

Moogle

Treasure Finder:PMQ
[Mog.Net + Studio3 + Sane Co.]
This is a child's Storybook style game. It explains the story of how the players quest requires him to travel to the hidden world to search for the fall artifacts known as the Dawn stars. The Dawn stars only fall once every 1000 years so this is this once in a life time chance to try and gather 3 of them.
OSD online

Atelier

Ok moogle does it follow the guidelines or have you entered because it has the word pub in the title? Ghost's is just ok I think because it has context (a card game associated with taverns and being played inside a pub). As long as your entry features a pub or makes (not a throwaway) reference to a pub it will be ok - but not if it's just in the title. I'm only checking because there isn't any mention of a pub in your premise.

Secondly I thought icey wasn't competing in MAGS for a while? Not only was it generally agreed he shouldn't as some form of punishment for the debacle last month, icey even said himself he wouldn't:

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 05/01/2012 22:20:26
I already said that I wasn't going to enter cause not only am I busy but I mean I already got to see the two mags I wanted to see and I don't think I want to enter again cause the time is to much to worry about.

Or are you just entering for him because you devised some kind of sneaky workaround? Sane Co you seem a decent guy, could you shed some light? Sorry don't want to cause another scene, just trying to figure out what's really going on.

Moogle

No Icey, Sane Co. and I are working on this game together. i am not really a good drawer so that's where Icey fills in and i can't make music so that's why I have Sane Co..

Usually me and Icey always work together and I am able to release a PMQ game cause I work under Studio3. and I know i didn't explain much in the game he explains that he was tasked by someone in the Pub.
OSD online

Icey

Atelier I said I would not enter from the very beginning however I still offered my help as well to those who would need it for this MAGS. Nobody asked me for help besides Mog so I plan to keep both of my words. I promised I wouldn't enter and I promised I would help those in need.

Also I got my OSD and PMQ mags so I have no more intention of making anymore as of now. It's fully up to Mog what he want's to do if he wins but I just hope it's another interesting mags I will follow up on on the sidelines.

Atelier

Hm ok. Icey actually set the theme: "Create a game where the hero is given a quest by someone in a Pub then leaves to go and do what he was tasked to do." I altered it a bit, but those words conveniently fit almost exactly with the premise of your game, so the whole thing will remain suspicious.

Ghost

I just messed up. Please forgive the double post, it was a MESS.

Ghost

-

Sane Co.

I don't believe that there is anything wrong going on, but I wouldn't know, I'm only doing music.

Icey

I promise there is nothing going on here. No cheating no nothing.

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 17/01/2012 20:44:04
Hm ok. Icey actually set the theme: "Create a game where the hero is given a quest by someone in a Pub then leaves to go and do what he was tasked to do." I altered it a bit, but those words conveniently fit almost exactly with the premise of your game, so the whole thing will remain suspicious.

Damn it! I thought it just had to have a pub in it!

I may or may not be in MAGS this month.  :-\

WHAM

I played around with an idea of the player working in a small inn in a medieval countryside and having to throw out rowdy customer so he can close the inn for the night, but I just haven't had any time to do more than scribble ideas in notepad. :(

There would have been a pass-out drunk knight who would have threatened you with a sword if you'd disturb his sleep, a "Strider" waiting for some "hobbits" and a pretty young lady unwilling to leave unless with a hansome man... *sigh*
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ghost

Quote from: WHAM on Wed 18/01/2012 19:11:39
I played around with an idea of the player working in a small inn in a medieval countryside and having to throw out rowdy customer so he can close the inn for the night, but I just haven't had any time to do more than scribble ideas in notepad. :(

Man, you still got eleven days  ;) Go for it! And have some cute wenches in it, no entry has mentioned them so far!

Note to self: Draw cute wenches.

Tabata

Quote from: Ponch on Wed 18/01/2012 19:11:00
Damn it! I thought it just had to have a pub in it!

I may or may not be in MAGS this month.  :-\

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 17/01/2012 20:44:04
...I altered it a bit, ...
Quote from: Atelier on Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48
Create a game featuring a pub, bar, or club in some way. The pub could be a visited location in the game, but if it's not, reference to the pub and it's importance in the plot/action of the game is sufficient.

That's the point for you to hold on!

... and the following of course ;)

Quote from: Ponch on Mon 16/01/2012 02:27:40
I should have a screenie up before Friday.

Waiting for your MAGS-game to come 

Ghost

Ponch, chill down, you're safe:
QuoteCreate a game featuring a pub, bar, or club in some way. The pub could be a visited location in the game, but if it's not, reference to the pub and it's importance in the plot/action of the game is sufficient.

To be honest, my first idea was about an actual PUB raising from the ground, grabbing a CLUB and then going on a quest to save a KID speaking in foreign language (DUB). It would've been called Grub's Master Quest and would have been very awesome.

PUBCLUB KIDDUB was the alternative title. Sounded a bit like poopdeck though.

Radiant

Quote from: Studio3 on Tue 17/01/2012 21:56:04
I promise there is nothing going on here. No cheating no nothing.

Dude, in the last thread you stated you wouldn't work on MAGS games for awhile (which even Sane Co mentioned was a good idea). And now, less than two weeks later, you are working on a MAGS game, pretending nothing happened. Breaking your word, that's what's going on here.

I need to find a bigger :facepalm: image macro.

Ghost

To be honest, I've been looking at this thread for a couple of HOURS now and wondered if it would even make sense to comment on the whole situation. I'll just write it down, okay? It's not bashing but I also think that I *can* speak my mind on the forums.

At the end of last months MAGS there was a discussion of forbidding S3 to enter MAGS for a while, but it has been nodded at in a non-commiting way, and there was no visible "conclusion". Icey himself said that he wouldn't enter this MAGS- maybe that was seen as the end of the whole affair.

I see hardly any difference between "entering MAGS" or "entering MAGS as part of a team". And honestly, the whole THING looks like a setup. The theme might as well have been "Mak me a teh Pupmaster Quest game". It's clear that anyone who enters a theme for MAGS will pick something he/she considers interesting. I did it, others did it. But the current trend doesn't sit too well with me.
Personally I always saw little sense that someone would set a theme and then enter the competition. I can't say if it has happened often; the first time it was obvious was the OSD MAGS by Icey, which really was full of custom rules. Not to stretch a point, but setting a theme means I play out ideas and prepare, it's like setting a challenge where I can make sure I have an edge.

Anyways, that's how I see things- we once again have a situation where things are a bit uneasy: as has been said by Atelier, the theme is suspiciously tailor-made, and really, what's the deal now?

Icey

I won't work on a game of my own. But I said I would help those who needed it. That part never changed. And seeing how my own friend asked me for help that gives me more of a reason to help him. Once again this isn't my game and I did keep my wordl Both of them.

Also Ghost are you saying I set this up from 2 months ago? lol I am totally not that smart you know. Mog may be with me but it's up to him to pick what he wan't for the next MAGS just as it is for everyone else who might win.

ddq

Icey

Wouldn't that make you the bad guy in this story?

Also what's tailor-made?

ddq

I am Jeremy Irons. This is Tailor Made. Yes, I watched "I Love New York 2".

Ghost

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 01:15:56
Also Ghost are you saying I set this up from 2 months ago?

No, that's not what I said. I said that this month's theme is tailor-made* for you, as the creator of "Pub Master", because its rules are to create a game about someone given some task in some pub, which pretty much is the plot of the Pub-Master games. And then you entering the competition, with a team.

It's like me setting the theme to "make a game about a girl trapped in a haunted house where there is a daemon in the attic... I will enter too, I *might* have an idea..."

----------------------
* as in "made to perfectly suit you"

[add]
And this is not meant to start yet another row.

Icey

Oh that makes perfect sense now. That is why I said I wasn't going to enter cause that right there would be like cheat as of course I have the upper hand. But this game Mog's game is more of a mini game. It's not canon at all in the PMQ or the PMQ.Legends series. I mean we haven't seen Ponch's game yet but from what I have seen your game looks/sounds really good. Anyone has a chance in this MAGS so long as you have the main character go to do something that he was tasked to do by the PUB.

It doesn't have to be some grand Final Fantasy adventure, it could be a simple "go to the bath room and clean up all the mess that was made before the time runs out."

Sane Co.

One question that one needs to ask is how much influence from icey is being put toward Mr. Mog. If his role is more than he and Mr. Mog claim, then there should be action taken. But if Icey is actually only doing backgrounds I think that that is fine, if you have an objection you should have brought it up when Icey said he was availible to help.
By the way, how do I get the music to Mr. Mog?

Icey

I don't know why he never be on sometimes. Just PM it to him or you can send it to PMQ2project@gmail.com

Khris

How is being part of a team that enters a MAGS game different from entering MAGS?
Are you really this thick? I'm not insinuating that you're deliberately trying to circumvent your being banned, but you are banned, so GTHO of this thread and the competition.

There's no way we can tell how much of this game is actually done by icey but I'd say ban it from entering anyway, if only for being thick.
After seeing Moogle's coding skills in the Beginner's thread it's a pretty safe bet that icey isn't "just doing the backgrounds".
Please let's not turn this into another back-and-forth, ban them and be done with it.

I'm sick of putting up with his shit. He needs to cool off until he manages to post in a way that doesn't generate angry facepalming all around, all the time.

Icey

Mog may ask me here and there for a little more assistance but only a little cause he is brand new to AGS. The game isn't even all that to tell you the truth. Just 3 small simple levels. Stop throwing in your negative 2 cents in all the time please. I am not even upset so if there was anyone here that was mad then I mean hey I can't control how people feel especially if there getting mad over text cause text can not always display emotions.

And it wouldn't be right to ban it from the comp. Is that why no one asked me for help? cause hey thought it would put them in jeopardy?  :(

Oh and that's another reason why most of my help goes to mog's game is cause he was the only one who asked me so why shouldn't I help him a little more over someone else?

Now let's leave it at that and get back to the MAGS cause I wanna play these games when there done, real talk.

Dualnames

I know this comes as news flash but icey has been around for 3 years this August..what..the hell.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Kasander

Seems I forgot to say hi in my first post on the forum.
Hi everyone! :) And thanks for welcoming me Atelier.

Quote from: Tabata on Sun 15/01/2012 12:27:03
How about a little interim report from the "rest" of the participants, too?
... and maybe a screenie ?
... and ...
I would love to get some information about all the MAGS-games in work  ;)

I have screenplay ready, more or less all plot, scenes and dialogs, and that's about it. The first (of six) room isn't even done. No scripting, just two characters ready (should be 20-30), including protagonist (but only 1/3 of her walk cycle is done). You can see her below:

I had overestimated my superpowers a little. It's higly unlikely that I'll finish it on time :/ Working on it as I do now, 8-14 hours daily, I would need at least 3-4 weeks. I still need to learn a lot about AGS, I'm halfway through Densming's tutorial.

Khris

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 04:46:59Stop throwing in your negative 2 cents in all the time please. I am not even upset so if there was anyone here that was mad then I mean hey I can't control how people feel especially if there getting mad over text cause text can not always display emotions.
STFU. This isn't about YOU getting upset, you pretentious little asshole.
I'm not getting mad "over text", I'm getting mad about you being an idiot, posting in a way that clearly shows that you still don't get why you're an idiot. The combination of your ignorance about why you annoy people and your steadfast determination to continue to do so is staggering, and unprecedented in the over seven years I'm frequenting this forum. Seriously, they have to invent a new word for what you're doing. It's not trolling, it's way worse.
Maybe immat'rolling.

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 04:46:59And it wouldn't be right to ban it from the comp. Is that why no one asked me for help? cause hey thought it would put them in jeopardy?  :(
Oh and that's another reason why most of my help goes to mog's game is cause he was the only one who asked me so why shouldn't I help him a little more over someone else?
Did it ever occur to you that other people might not need your help?
Also, did you get the part about being banned from MAGS for quite a while? So how is it "not right" to ban what's-his-name's game from the competition; especially after you've just admitted that you're doing more than his backgrounds?

You had countless chances to change your obnoxious attitude, and I'm pretty sure that by now you've lost the backing of a lot of people who were willing to give you the benefit of the doubt a lot longer than I.
Stop acting like nothing can touch you, get it through your thick skull that you annoy the hell out of at the very least two people here, constantly.
GTFO, get some other hobby, annoy the RPGmaker forums, I don't care. Just GET THE FUCK OUT of here.

Icey

I know there are plenty of reason why nobody asked me for help. My whole point is that he asked me for help and I said I was offering help.

I said he may ask me for a little more help meaning here and there with some big things like setting up variables and stuff.

Also Dualnames it would be 4 years.

And another thing is I don't even know why we go back and forth khris. I am not going to take some shit from anybody and apparently you aren't ether. And on top of that I'm 16(17) and 31. There is no way I'm going to get through to you my opinion so what makes you think yours is going to get to me? cause your way older?

I don't try to annoy anyone in the forums. I just try to do my thing so I can get the hell in into Squ...never mind.

Dualnames

QuoteAlso Dualnames it would be 4 years.

I expect the formula that extracted this result posted below this post with detail. Mine is quite simple.

Date Registered:    12 Aug 2009, 23:08
Current Date:    19 Jan 2012, 11:45

2 years, 5 months, 7 days and 3 hours or so.

That means this august it goes, 3 years.

WHAM

Wait, people can be banned from the MAGS? And Icey is banned? When did this happen and why? Have I missed some good drama?
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Monsieur OUXX

I see a game.
I see a game taking place in a pub.
I see a game taking place in the pub where the Mittens crew went.
I see two Mitteners dancing.
I see an angry bartender telling them not to dance.
I see puzzles involving means of distraction in order to make the dance possible.
I see beer and drunk Mitteners everywhere.

Kastchey

Quote from: ddq on Thu 19/01/2012 01:20:11
Get out.
Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 01:25:30
Wouldn't that make you the bad guy in this story?
Yes, that would make ddq the bad guy and that would make you the oppressed baby lion. Now go play your role and be off to that other jungle where you will meet new friends, find the love of your life and acquire the means to realize your goal. After 10 years (or 20 years in iceydecimal) have passed, you will return here to show ddq, Khris and other villains what you're made of. Sounds cool? Then run, little cub, run!

Ponch

Quote from: Kasander on Thu 19/01/2012 07:15:08
I had overestimated my superpowers a little. It's higly unlikely that I'll finish it on time :/ Working on it as I do now, 8-14 hours daily, I would need at least 3-4 weeks. I still need to learn a lot about AGS, I'm halfway through Densming's tutorial.

Hi, Kasander. Welcome to AGS.

This game looks very cool. I hope that you'll still finish it, even if you don't make the deadline for MAGS. I also wish I had 8-14 hours a day to work on my games. I'm envious of your free time!  ;)

Sane Co.

What is the chance that our project won't qualify? Because I don't want to do my job and not have the reward of it being able to enter.

Atelier

Nice screen Kasander, and yep, 8-14 hours daily is very impressive ;D

Quote from: Sane Co. on Thu 19/01/2012 16:02:52
What is the chance that our project won't qualify? Because I don't want to do my job and not have the reward of it being able to enter.

That's fair enough, to be honest I wouldn't waste your time on it. I'm not going to let either icey or moogle enter, who are practically siamese twins. It's just so obvious that icey is calling the shots and got moogle to enter for him; moogle even said he 'works under Studio3' (which as a statement is just plain bizarre).

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 01:48:36
Anyone has a chance in this MAGS so long as you have the main character go to do something that he was tasked to do by the PUB.

Those aren't even the guidelines, they're the ones you sent me initially. More evidence that you set this theme for yourself. I'm sorry icey but it was agreed you can't enter and concealing yourself within a team is no loophole. So to avoid hostility from others, I would just stay away from these threads completely in future.

miguel

Well, just because I've offered myself Photoshop CS5 and have been playing around with the puppet warp feature (fantastic stuff!) and smart objects, I've decided to enter MAGS for the first time! I Will supply some ingame screens tonight.

Regarding the never-ending Icey story, I believe that enough has been said. He's acting like a child and children should be dealt like ones.
This new event/entry that he started sounds like a big mess. And even if based on the Mags rules he could initiate some kind of debate regarding his authorisation to enter, I believe that he was banned for a while.
How long should he banned for? Until he starts posting like a responsible person, that acknowledges his past behaviour and makes a effort on improving himself. It will be clear for all of us when that time comes.

His friends should, in my opinion, make a new entry if they want to participate.  
Working on a RON game!!!!!

spud

Ok here's my entry

Once Upon a Time in Keel
==================

320x200
16bit
AGS Editor v3.2.1

The guidelines were that it must involve a pub somehow so i decided to not only have a pub but have 3 pubs.

I haven't made a game with AGS since 2004 so had to re-learn a lot of things.

Description
============

In the sleepy village of Keel the pub trophy has been stolen and it's up to Al the Landlord to find it.

Credits
=====

Everything by Spud

Download Link - Size 1MB (will upload to a more permanent place later on)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/zzapsp

Sane Co.

Our first entry!
readily downloading now!

Icey

That's not fair at all. If you guys wanna take this to some voice chat service than fine by me cause I am not going to argue with a whole bunch of adults and one 16yr old. The odds are not fair at all. I can give people help cause I am human. its what I want to do and what I can do. There isn't no loop arounds it's just me helping him out cause he asked damn it. He works under studio 3 just like a lot of other people. I got games in the making for these people cause they asked me to help turn their comic into a game. These people are like mog. Got their own "group" but work under me when it comes to me working on there game

Where the hell do you think Gearblade DX came from? That isn't my game but I help create it for my friend cause we colaberated to get a demo out. However I now own all rights of the game so...it's mine now but it wasn't always mine.

Also another thing that's not fair are the guide lines for this months mags cause that was sure not what I said I wanted to have the mags. What's up there right now is cool but the origanal should have be included as well. I didn't set any thing for myself ether. I only asked for that to see what cool Pub adventure games could be made. Your the one who change it so don't get mad at me.

WHAM

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 19:48:20
...no loop arounds...
...we colaberated to...
...However I now own all rights of the game so...

Why can't I stop laughing at these? And why can't I stop laughing how a 16 year old kid is trying to get adults to develop games about Pubs so he can also see what pubs are like, as he is too young to visit. :D Maybe I'm just mean...  8)

Icey

My phone mixed up some words and then changed some. Yeah, so what I typed it on my phone big deal. I don't complain when you guys talk about me while I'm in school do I? And here's a news flash, I check my email cause I will get my phone taken away by a teacher. PMQ was not inspired by the fact that I couldn't go into a pub because I was to young. Also I got most of you to make a OSD game which let me remind you spawned in a topic a PMQ and was born from Dave the main character of PMQ. Therefore you already made a game about a character who adventures started from a pub topic.

So to answer you question WHAM, yeah I do and guess what, they already did. No OSD game is about him going on quest from a PUB besides Ponch's game. All heroes got to start somewhere and it looks like Dennis started his in a pub but never originally mentioned it.

Moogle

Wait so I can't now? That not even right dude. i asked him for help and everyone is making such a big conspiracy over it. but to be honest though is it really that serious? cause when it all comes down to it it's the people who play it and vote for it.

It's really come to the point where if i can't enter then i don't want to even work on the game no more.
OSD online

Ponch

Amidst all the drama, Ponch posts a topic related picture. Will anyone notice? Let's find out!  8)

Somewhere on the last remaining server of the mostly forgotten "Quest World Of Evercraft" game, in an empty zone, Mugg's Tavern sits in the middle of a low polygon forest, still open for business.

It's a great place for those who want to lay low for a while. Even better, it sells surprisingly cheap beer. You see, Mugg's menu still uses prices from late 1999, back when the game was still the most popular MMORPG on the webs. (The devs never got around to patching the prices. They were too busy nerfing less popular classes).

But to the surprise of everyone at the bar, a new quest is about to be offered -- the first new quest this game has seen in over a decade.

Will you be up to the challenge? Find out Jan 31st!  :=

WHAM

@Moogle: After what Icey did in the previous MAGS (I had to read through the thread to understand it all and I was apalled) I'm not surprised at all and I think he should not be allowed to participate in any way or form in MAGS for at least six months, not even as advisor or assistant in a team. But that is for Atelier, the grand master of the MAGS, to decide, not me.

@Ponch: The idea sound great! Colour me interested!  ;D

Sane Co.

What one should do is make a demo inside a pub, where the bartender tells you jokes, that would be priceless.

Ponch

Quote from: WHAM on Thu 19/01/2012 20:26:02
@Ponch: The idea sound great! Colour me interested!  ;D

Thanks. It looks a lot better with the snow coming down and the torches flickering by the door. That's just the background picture.  :)

Tabata

YAY - Ponch is still in  :D
... with cheap beer in a nice pub!

You're such a cool cow  ;)

Atelier

Quote from: Moogle on Thu 19/01/2012 20:19:29
Wait so I can't now? That not even right dude.

I genuinely sympathise, but I can't allow you to enter because Icey has been helping you. There is no difference between this and Icey entering in person because he is still working on an entry. If you wanted to enter with Sane without Icey then go for it, you have just as much right as everybody else. This is impossible now though because you threw the shit at the fan by mentioning you were in a team with Icey. And you'll only jeopardise yourself in future too, because as you admitted, you always work together. So Icey or moogle, if you still have objections just PM me and we can talk about it. But please, can we all end the discussion here because it's just getting tiresome now.

Thanks for the entry Spud :)
And Ponch, sounds interesting so far!

Icey

Mog if he says no then just give me the game if you really don't want anymore. I'll finish it up for you.

My comment was pushed way down even through I had responded to Mog after WHAM posted?

And it's cool it's no big deal, I'll just completely drop out for good(until there is a MAGS based on making a game using Ben304 style) and I won't enter again.

Sane Co.

Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 23:55:38
Mog if he says no then just give me the game if you really don't want anymore. I'll finish it up for you.
Look, you need to stop being so arrogant. If Mog is any decent he won't allow you to work on the game so that he can enter the competition. You need to stop acting like you can get away with everything. And why even post that you would do such a thing. When will you get the idea into your head, that you should just lie low until you grow up, and stop parading your arogance everywhere? It would help you greatly in your quest to work for SE. If they saw how you were acting now they wouldn't hire you, and neither would I.

ddq

This is your fault, everyone. Stop talking to him like he's going to understand what you're saying. In fact, since the moderators still refuse to ban this urchin, I suggest you stop talking to him altogether.

There is no icey.

icey does not exist.

Icey

Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 20/01/2012 00:19:51
Quote from: Studio3 on Thu 19/01/2012 23:55:38
Look, you need to stop being so arrogant. If Mog is any decent he won't allow you to work on the game so that he can enter the competition. You need to stop acting like you can get away with everything. And why even post that you would do such a thing. When will you get the idea into your head, that you should just lie low until you grow up, and stop parading your arogance everywhere? It would help you greatly in your quest to work for SE. If they saw how you were acting now they wouldn't hire you, and neither would I.

First off I'm not arrogant but I did make many backgrounds for his game. I will finish it up for him and release out side of the MAGS. But one reason why I just try to drop everything is cause I don't want them to see my posts. I just rather have a portfolio and call it a day.

Radiant

Quote from: Tabata on Thu 19/01/2012 20:40:51
YAY - Ponch is still in  :D
... with cheap beer in a nice pub!

You're such a cool cow  ;)

Wow, where do you get all those wonderful smilies? :D

Tabata

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 20/01/2012 01:19:34
Wow, where do you get all those wonderful smilies? :D

Thanks     

They are collected from hundreds of free smiley-sites in laborious hand work.

slapstick

I have been lurking and wanting to enter one of these contests forever, but the problem is if I don't post, I won't have any accountability. So I will work tirelessly on 'Wench Quest', a game of drunken adventurers, dwarves, mini-quests and mixology puzzles! My writing partner has requested that there be a puzzle where if you don't throw a shoe at a cat you can't finish the game, but that idea's so awesome I think he stole it from something else.

Screenshot(s) coming this weekend, I hope! And since I've never done much game-wise before, fingers crossed it is not a hideous, buggy mess. (Thank goodness for all the lovely tutorials people take the time to write!)

What a fun, sexy time for you.

Ghost

Quote from: slapstick on Fri 20/01/2012 02:32:36
... 'Wench Quest' ...

There's going to be WENCHES! Yay!
And welcome to the forums!

Ponch

Tabata: Thanks! I think I'm pretty cool for an old cow, myself.  8)

Radiant: I'm convinced she gets paid to collect smilies. How else can you explain such dedication.

Slapstick: Hello! Thanks for joining this month's MAGS. Wench Quest sounds exactly like the sort of game we're looking for this month. (Or any month)  ;)

ddq

Good luck, slapstick. I know first games can be tough, but it sounds like you've got a winning idea! Keep at it.

Ponch

Quote from: ddq on Fri 20/01/2012 04:01:34
Good luck, slapstick. I know first games can be tough, but it sounds like you've got a winning idea! Keep at it.

And don't let ddq's hipster glasses intimidate you!  :D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

MUGGS tavern?  I'm trying to imagine how much effort it required for you not to call it JUGGS instead.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 20/01/2012 05:23:53
MUGGS tavern?  I'm trying to imagine how much effort it required for you not to call it JUGGS instead.

Stop reading my mind!!  8)

gameboy

I might enter this one as well, as I have made a mig chunk of a short game this week.
If I manage to find some time between making other projects, maybe I can finish it before the deadline.

Help Ed serve drinks, clean toilets, deal with cranky customers and a young crappy band, and find the mysterious hidden secret treasure hidden somewhere in the pub!

Chicky

Hah awesome, looks like my local venue Gameboy  :)

Sane Co.

Can me and Mog enter the game we were working on, even though Icey did a bit of backgrounds?

Khris

Did you miss this bit?

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 19/01/2012 16:25:31
Quote from: Sane Co. on Thu 19/01/2012 16:02:52

That's fair enough, to be honest I wouldn't waste your time on it. I'm not going to let either icey or moogle enter, who are practically siamese twins. It's just so obvious that icey is calling the shots and got moogle to enter for him; moogle even said he 'works under Studio3' (which as a statement is just plain bizarre).

spud

Atelier

Unfortunately yes, it's been like that for at least two days.

Gameboy, as ever I'm loving your art style :) And slapstick, welcome to the forums, nice of you to make your first post in a MAGS thread :D By the way if anybody needs an extension to the deadline, I'll definitely do that, seeing as I posted the guidelines a few days late.

miguel

I would love a couple of days extended, I am entering the competition and I know I said I'd post screens but I got sidetracked...

Ghost

Quote from: miguel on Fri 20/01/2012 21:09:10
I would love a couple of days extended, I am entering the competition and I know I said I'd post screens but I got sidetracked...

+1. Why not call it a week?  ::)

[edit]
The "roll eyes" is meant to indicate cheeky greed. We need more smileys. Tabby?

Radiant

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 20/01/2012 23:04:35
+1. Why not call it a week?  ::)

Given that February is a pretty short month already, if the first week was moved to the January MAGS then there'd be not much left...

Atelier

Because there are lot of entries this month, I think a week (tops) is a fair shout. But Radiant is right, so what I can do is start February as normal and let this topic simmer on the back burner while everybody finishes up.

Radiant

Quote from: Atelier on Fri 20/01/2012 23:29:19
Because there are lot of entries this month, I think a week (tops) is a fair shout. But Radiant is right, so what I can do is start February as normal and let this topic simmer on the back burner while everybody finishes up.

That's a good idea. I didn't have time this month but will consider something for February.

Tabata

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 20/01/2012 23:04:35
[edit]
The "roll eyes" is meant to indicate cheeky greed. We need more smileys. Tabby?

Someone's callin'?

delivery:

+1. Why not call it a week? 

Kasander

+ 1 for "Why not call it a week". ;) That would be great!

miguel

MAGS Competition - The Pub

Armando Diamond is a detective who has fallen in disgrace due to countless years of heavy drinking. He also caught siflis from a hooker named Gina.
On a normal day, while wandering around town for a drink, Armando found more than a pub! Gangsters were doing some "cleaning-up" inside and he was about to get in trouble...

Ghost

The grass and the plants are made of pure awesome, miguel!

Ponch

I second Ghost's praise. The look of this game is very cool. I particularly like the cloud. Very stylized and eye-catching. Nicely done, Miguel.

Kastchey

If there is an extension, then I might have something too! I should be able to finish it on time if I don't get too busy during the week.

Zombie Hunter Gi
(placeholder title, since nothing better comes to my mind)

Gi, a wandering jack-of-all-trades was (un)lucky enough to get a hold of a set of shipment documents that might just be the key to solve the case of mysterious abductions in a desolate mountain area. With nothing but a handful of coins, a bottle of wine, her trusty chainsaw and and a vision of a huge pile of money offered by the federal government, Gi sets out to find the shipment location, The Smelly Lavender pub situated in an underpopulated mountain village.

The idea is loosely based on a rather little known comic book of a similar theme.

miguel

Ghost & Ponch, thanks guys, but it's all made with CS5 standard shapes, the composition is mine, of course.
It's the only way I could find to finish this game in time. That and the opportunity to "study" the puppet wrap tool on characters, I'm finding it amazing!
I'm building all rooms with shapes and/or vector shapes to cut some time. Then I add some textures from CS5.

slapstick

Thanks for the warm welcome! Wow, so many great looking games this month, looks like I should have lurked around awhile longer. This stuff is hard, how do you folks make it look so easy??

Baby's first walk cycle...

Hope to have a legit screenshot soon.

Ekeko

Hey Guys!
Here I've got some info on the game I'm working on:

Yes, We've got a blue cup!

It's called Scum Pub, and the idea of the game is to prepare a special drink with the stuff you find in the kitchen.

Features:

-320x200 Resolution, YAY!
-Weird, Crazy, Ridiculous Puzzles!  :D
-Jokes that are so terribly bad, that you should feel wrong if you laugh about them!
-First Person Perspective, YEAH! YOU WILL FEEL LIKE PLAYING GOLDENEYE!  :o :o :o

Ghost

Quote from: Ekeko on Thu 26/01/2012 14:45:57
And probably much more that you will hopefuly see... If I can finish this in like... 4 days?!?!?!?  :P

Atelier mentioned an extension of the deadline, so keep it going!

This must be one of the largest MAGS ever! What's in the pipeline, eight games?

Kasander

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 26/01/2012 15:28:53
This must be one of the largest MAGS ever! What's in the pipeline, eight games?

I think it's nine actually:
Ghost
Ponch
miguel
spud
slapstick
gameboy
Kastchey
Ekeko
Kasander.

The more the merrier! Maybe it's too late now to call ourselves The Magnificient Seven, but we're only one participant short of being The Ten Commandments ;D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself :=  It's just too late, I'm too tired and I still have my pub to draw ;) Now, back to work!

PS: BTW Ghost, as a a longtime fan of M&M series, I'm looking forward to playing your game. It's so strange that I can't remember this Arcomage thing... Time bites, I guess.

Atelier

Thanks for the entries Kastchey, miguel, and Ekeko!

Quote from: Kasander on Sat 28/01/2012 00:21:09
I think it's nine actually

Awesome! There's over a week left to finish, will this be enough time for everybody?

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Sat 28/01/2012 00:37:02
There's over a week left to finish, will this be enough time for everybody?

Mmmmmmmmmaybe...  :-X

Ghost

There's over a week left to finish, will this be enough time for everybody?
I am making good progress. The card game itself is playable (and the full Arcomage set, no less!), it's mostly spriting, testing and the good old spit-and-polish now.
Can you post the exact deadline? Would be a nice motivation :)

Quote from: Ponch on Sat 28/01/2012 01:27:30
Mmmmmmmmmaybe...  :-X
Don't you dare fizzling this! I bought a dictionary and checked. Fizzling is not even a word!  ;D

Quote from: Kasander on Sat 28/01/2012 00:21:09
PS: BTW Ghost, as a a longtime fan of M&M series, I'm looking forward to playing your game. It's so strange that I can't remember this Arcomage thing... Time bites, I guess.
Thanks! Here's a nice site with in-game video to jog the nostalgia memories:
http://www.fantasy-art-and-portraits.com/fantasy_art_arcomage.html

Kasander

Awesome! There's over a week left to finish, will this be enough time for everybody?

Can I answer this on, let's say, Wednesday? ;) I'm quite positive about finishing my game in time, but the hardest parts of the work are still ahead. As for now, I can honestly say I'm about 60% positive that I'll make it on time (that is, until February the 7th, right?). That is if I won't slip on scripting (and AGS in general, being a newbie) too much.

I know I said I work 8-14 hours a day on my game before, but sometimes it comes down to just few hours daily because something gets in the way, like in everyone's life. Anyway, some of you guys said you were envious about this huge amount of spare time I have, but there's also the other side of the coin: this comes thanks to being unemployed. Apologies if it looks like I'm spilling my guts here, I just wanted to explain this rare phenomenon of spare time :) Can't say I recommend this kind of "dedication to gamemaking" ;)

Quote from: Ghost on Sat 28/01/2012 02:50:31
Thanks! Here's a nice site with in-game video to jog the nostalgia memories:
http://www.fantasy-art-and-portraits.com/fantasy_art_arcomage.html

I'll check it out, thanks. Actually I was thinking about reinstalling one of later M&Ms for a moment (I've spent less than hour with M&M IX for example), but I had to supress and strangle this thought... Not without shedding a tear though ;)

Ekeko

I guess that will be more than enough!

Ghost

I've gone BETA! Now that WAS a scripting frenzy!
(Spriting frenzy starting tomorrowind)

Sane Co.

(this comment has been rendered null)

Ponch

When is the exact deadline now? I has forgotted.  :-X

Ghost

Quote from: Ponch on Tue 31/01/2012 04:27:15
When is the exact deadline now? I has forgotted.  :-X

7th, if I understand it correctly. I HOPE it's the 7th.

Atelier

Yup the 7th is fine with me. It seems the MAGS site is still offline, so it seems quite likely that voting will have to be done through PMs. It's also an inconvenience because it means I can't open up the Maggies topic. Anyway, I'll put up the February guidelines tomorrow so in the meantime I'll leave you guys to it :)

Radiant

Quote from: Atelier on Tue 31/01/2012 22:43:49
Anyway, I'll put up the February guidelines tomorrow so in the meantime I'll leave you guys to it :)

I can't find them :(

Atelier

Ghost

Fancy a game of HUBRIS? Join the fun, I got spare decks for everyone!

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=1541

miguel

Guys, I can't make the deadline, sorry.
Starting to work again with split shifts!!$#>&%!!

Good luck to all!

Ponch

I'm out too. Just too many things going on right now. I didn't have enough time to finish it.

So that's three MAGs games in a row I started but did not finish.  :-[  Sigh.

Kasander

I bite the dust too. Contrary to you guys I had a lot of time to make it but AGS scripting is just too $&*#@%* complicated for my anti-logical newbie brain. I guess I should learn all about scripting in the first place, then do all the graphics, not the other way around. I'll post this pub I've drawn to show my take on the subject.

Chicky

That looks great Kasander, lovely style! Team up with a programmer and get it finished  :D

slapstick

Much like Kasander I find the drawing pictures is much easier than, you know, making the game work.  ;D (BTW your game looks beautiful Kasander! Did you do that on a tablet? It looks so nice, like colored pencils or pastels.)

I will power on though...It will just be more like a 3MAGS or 6MAGS or 12MAGS....

Atelier

Ghost and Kasander those pics are sweet.

Ekeko

Hey guys!
I've got a question...
Is it permitted to use music from other games? Say, Monkey Island?  :-\
Of course I take into account that I should note in the credits that I'm note the owner of the music and mention it's authors...

Atelier

I'm going to extend the deadline again to the 10th (it should have been tomorrow), as we still have some people unaccounted for, and so Kasander can enter (miguel and Ponch too, or is it not humanly possible?). So 10th is absolute maximum.

spud
slapstick
gameboy
Kastchey
Ekeko

Ekeko I PMd you.

Ekeko

Edit: Thanks!

Kasander

Thank you very much for your kind words guys. I really apreciate this :)

Quote from: slapstick on Mon 06/02/2012 17:52:26
BTW your game looks beautiful Kasander! Did you do that on a tablet? It looks so nice, like colored pencils or pastels.

Yes, I couldn't imagine drawing this amount of rather detailed 1024x768 backgrounds that I'm doing using mouse. I would get bald and raise my grandchildren sooner than I could finish any background! ;) Once I knew a guy who could draw some really sick-detailed stuff with mouse... But that was black&white, lo-res and happened in the previous millenium. ;)
There are some real "analog" pencil lines you can see in this pub of mine (for ex. on the barrel), this is all what's left of the original pencil sketch. All the rest is done with tablet, most of it in Photoshop, but that pastel feeling is "thanks to" Corel Painter I'm trying (I ended up erasing most of it as I wasn't too fond of the result).

PS: Atelier, I've decided to do as you said and look for some scripting help, so don't write me off yet!;)

PS.2: Well done Ghost! ;D

Ghost

Quote from: Atelier on Mon 06/02/2012 19:22:24
I'm going to extend the deadline again to the 10th (it should have been tomorrow), as we still have some people unaccounted for, and so Kasander can enter (miguel and Ponch too, or is it not humanly possible?). So 10th is absolute maximum.

Agh! You mean all that caffeine abuse I did last weekend was for NAUGHT??? Twelve litres, sir! It tingles on the way out!
Seriously, guys, three more days! Get it cracking!

PS: Kasander, thanks a lot. And now please tell me what you need help with!
PS2: Ponch, swing your udder!
Ps3: Miguel, I demand you make this game real. It looks like Spongebob Squarepants meets Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and we NEED games looking like that!
PS4: i Amstill h-h-h-hi on caffeineeee....

Kasander

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 06/02/2012 20:49:47
PS: Kasander, thanks a lot. And now please tell me what you need help with!

I had some basical problems, like with GUI, some animation issues. It hindered any progress and I couldn't get past it. Too much to describe here... At the moment I'm writing a "what to do" list. Fortunately, ddq - who was offering his help in February MAGS thread - agreed to lend a helping hand so hopefully we can pull this off. But if there'll be some obstacles we can't get by, I won't hesitate to ask for your help (thanks ;) )!

miguel

Atelier, I'll give it a try, thanks for the extension, now I don't have an excuse for not attempting to finish it! But I'll blame you for my divorce! There's no way she'll understand...

Ghost, thanks man, I'll do my best! Btw, RAM Ghost is brilliant!

Atelier

All entries should be posted within 24 hours please.

Ekeko

Ok! But I'm not sure my game's gonna have good music...  :-\

Kasander

With ddq's help I keep on fighting, hopefully we can pull it off before deadline. I have some speech yet to translate, but all the graphical assets are in the game (they're still to script). Oh, and I had to scale it all down, so even if I make it on time you won't be seeing this first screen (even though polished now) I had posted before. This is gonna be a short one room game.

Kastchey

I had very little time during the past two weeks, loads of unexpected work and in effect, I'm only halfway there and I think I won't be able to pull it off. I did what I could during the past three days to limit the game to three rooms and create something playable, but it didn't work out. Just too many other stuff to do, sigh.

By the way, Ghost, this is a really cool game. I don't know if you plan to expand it or not, but if you do:
Spoiler
The AI might need some improvements. It seems that if the AI player has any card to play, they will play it no matter if it benefits them or not. I once had the AI play the "all players -5 wall" card when my wall was 0, and my enemy's wall was >0. Also sometimes games would end in a suicide move from AI player who would use a "all players -x tower" card when my tower was >x and their <x.
Also, I would love to see a version that would include obtainable non-default cards and different AI levels, that would be awesome :)

Edit: I forgot to add that the first "AGSer" I got to play against just HAD to be Icey. Duh.
[close]

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 09/02/2012 18:36:38
All entries should be posted within 24 hours please.

What?  :o I thought this contest ended a few days ago. Crap! I might have finished my game. This is what I get for not checking the forums much this week.  :-X

gameboy

I had some unexpected occurrences last week and didn't have the time needed to work on the game. Due to that I had to shorten the game a bit, leave some parts out including some puzzles and multiple endings.

Anyway, big thanks for the final extension, Atelier! Without that I couldn't have finished what became my first MAGS game.

Here's my entry:

Ed Watts: Bar Runner

Download here!

Btw, I've been playing A LOT of Hubris recently... this stuff is pretty addicting. Great work Ghost!

Kasander

I believe the deadline is in couple of hours or so. Suddenly I gotta leave for few hours now but I gave my permission to ddq to upload and post a link to game asap. His putting the last touches right now... Anyway, if somehow goes wrong or something, blame it on me! Ddq was brilliant all the way and my kudos to him.

ddq

TWO SECONDS

Edit:

Kasander presents to you...

Jonah's Place

(patch with more interaction and extra dialog to come)

Ekeko

Do you think have what it takes to work for the...
SCUM PUB?

(I'll add another screenshot as soon as possible...)

If you think you do... Then download now!

MAGS Host

It's voting time :) 5/9 entries isn't bad at all, and those who couldn't make it had some really promising entries judging from the screens. I hope all will get released eventually!

As always, be sure to play all the games before casting your vote:

Once Upon a Time in Keel by spud   screenshot   download
HUBRIS by Ghost   screenshot   download
Ed Watts: Bar Runner by gameboy   screenshot   download
Jonah's Place by Kasander & ddq   screenshot   download
Scum Pub by Ekeko   screenshot   download

Because the MAGS site is still down, please PM your vote to this account. Don't worry about voting for yourself, I won't judge ;) Good luck everybody!!

Ghost

Ahhh, fresh games! With a side order of pretzels- I smell a nice gamey weekend.

Atelier

We have less votes than entries so far... hint.

gameboy

How long does the voting period last? I haven't had the time to play through all the games yet.

Ghost

It's a bit unfortunate that we have to resort to PMs- everybody has to check this thread and kick up the energy to send a PM. And the forums are still acting strange for me. Anyhow: I've cast my vote and I enjoyed all those cool little games a lot!

Kasander

I've played them all and voted!

C'mon AGS people, play them and cast your vote! This is not politics, you can't go wrong with playing MAGS games (or can you? ;))

Tabata

Quote from: Atelier on Mon 13/02/2012 16:27:22
We have less votes than entries so far... hint.

Come on!

â€" the participants deserve it â€"

It's a simple pm to tell our MAGS Host who entertained you best!

That's not too much in exchange for to get offered all the fun with those games!

Radiant

What is wrong with the MAGS site anyway, and why haven't people put up a mirror site yet? It's not like mirroring is hard these days.

Kasander

Quote from: gameboy on Mon 13/02/2012 16:46:17
How long does the voting period last?

Yeah, how long is it, one or two weeks?

MAGS Host

Until around the 20th, or until there's a clear winner, but although the vote number has improved, it's still close ;)

As an incentive, whoever votes will get entered into a virtual tombola, and the lucky winner will get some unknown shitty and quite probably token prize, courtesy of yours truly! But the whole rigmarole will be damn exciting.

Ponch

The 20th? That may or may not be enough time. I'm only halfway through the list of games.  :-[

MAGS Host

There's a couple of days left to try out the entries then send your vote.

Kasander

I'm shamelessly bumping this thread. Sunday is good day to check out on Jan MAGS games. And it's the last moment to do so (almost!). So if you have some spare time (and haven't tried them already), play and then

(by sending PM to MAGS Host). Thanks for your attention!

MAGS Host

Voting is over:

HUBRIS by Ghost - 7 votes
Ed Watts: Bar Runner by gameboy - 4 votes
Jonah's Place by Kasander & ddq - 2 votes
Scum Pub by Ekeko - 1 vote
Once Upon a Time in Keel by spud - 0 votes

Congrats Ghost. Many people commented on how addictive HUBRIS is.

Thank you to everybody who entered, whether you could finish or not.

As for voting, I hope votes via PM isn't permanent, but I can't think of any alternative (for the short term anyway). And Ponch ends up the winner of our golden tombola! Aren't you just soo lucky?

WHAM

Grats ghost! An earned victory!

Radiant

Quote from: MAGS Host on Mon 20/02/2012 15:44:55
As for voting, I hope votes via PM isn't permanent, but I can't think of any alternative (for the short term anyway).

What is wrong with the MAGS site anyway, and why haven't people put up a mirror site yet? It's not like mirroring is hard these days.

Ponch

Congrats, Ghost.  :D

And what am I supposed to do with a tombola? Fill it with all the MAGS games I've started but never finished?  ;)

Ekeko

Congratulations, Ghost!  ;D
Now we just have to wait for a Hubris extended edition!  ;)

spud

Congrats ghost

damn i knew i should have voted for myself :D

Ghost

Yay! Hooray! Glad to see Hubris made it- thanks to all voters!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk