MAGS January: "The Pub" (WINNER)

Started by Atelier, Tue 03/01/2012 17:21:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekeko

Edit: Thanks!

Kasander

Thank you very much for your kind words guys. I really apreciate this :)

Quote from: slapstick on Mon 06/02/2012 17:52:26
BTW your game looks beautiful Kasander! Did you do that on a tablet? It looks so nice, like colored pencils or pastels.

Yes, I couldn't imagine drawing this amount of rather detailed 1024x768 backgrounds that I'm doing using mouse. I would get bald and raise my grandchildren sooner than I could finish any background! ;) Once I knew a guy who could draw some really sick-detailed stuff with mouse... But that was black&white, lo-res and happened in the previous millenium. ;)
There are some real "analog" pencil lines you can see in this pub of mine (for ex. on the barrel), this is all what's left of the original pencil sketch. All the rest is done with tablet, most of it in Photoshop, but that pastel feeling is "thanks to" Corel Painter I'm trying (I ended up erasing most of it as I wasn't too fond of the result).

PS: Atelier, I've decided to do as you said and look for some scripting help, so don't write me off yet!;)

PS.2: Well done Ghost! ;D

Ghost

Quote from: Atelier on Mon 06/02/2012 19:22:24
I'm going to extend the deadline again to the 10th (it should have been tomorrow), as we still have some people unaccounted for, and so Kasander can enter (miguel and Ponch too, or is it not humanly possible?). So 10th is absolute maximum.

Agh! You mean all that caffeine abuse I did last weekend was for NAUGHT??? Twelve litres, sir! It tingles on the way out!
Seriously, guys, three more days! Get it cracking!

PS: Kasander, thanks a lot. And now please tell me what you need help with!
PS2: Ponch, swing your udder!
Ps3: Miguel, I demand you make this game real. It looks like Spongebob Squarepants meets Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas and we NEED games looking like that!
PS4: i Amstill h-h-h-hi on caffeineeee....

Kasander

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 06/02/2012 20:49:47
PS: Kasander, thanks a lot. And now please tell me what you need help with!

I had some basical problems, like with GUI, some animation issues. It hindered any progress and I couldn't get past it. Too much to describe here... At the moment I'm writing a "what to do" list. Fortunately, ddq - who was offering his help in February MAGS thread - agreed to lend a helping hand so hopefully we can pull this off. But if there'll be some obstacles we can't get by, I won't hesitate to ask for your help (thanks ;) )!

miguel

Atelier, I'll give it a try, thanks for the extension, now I don't have an excuse for not attempting to finish it! But I'll blame you for my divorce! There's no way she'll understand...

Ghost, thanks man, I'll do my best! Btw, RAM Ghost is brilliant!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Atelier

All entries should be posted within 24 hours please.

Ekeko

Ok! But I'm not sure my game's gonna have good music...  :-\

Kasander

With ddq's help I keep on fighting, hopefully we can pull it off before deadline. I have some speech yet to translate, but all the graphical assets are in the game (they're still to script). Oh, and I had to scale it all down, so even if I make it on time you won't be seeing this first screen (even though polished now) I had posted before. This is gonna be a short one room game.

Kastchey

I had very little time during the past two weeks, loads of unexpected work and in effect, I'm only halfway there and I think I won't be able to pull it off. I did what I could during the past three days to limit the game to three rooms and create something playable, but it didn't work out. Just too many other stuff to do, sigh.

By the way, Ghost, this is a really cool game. I don't know if you plan to expand it or not, but if you do:
Spoiler
The AI might need some improvements. It seems that if the AI player has any card to play, they will play it no matter if it benefits them or not. I once had the AI play the "all players -5 wall" card when my wall was 0, and my enemy's wall was >0. Also sometimes games would end in a suicide move from AI player who would use a "all players -x tower" card when my tower was >x and their <x.
Also, I would love to see a version that would include obtainable non-default cards and different AI levels, that would be awesome :)

Edit: I forgot to add that the first "AGSer" I got to play against just HAD to be Icey. Duh.
[close]

Ponch

Quote from: Atelier on Thu 09/02/2012 18:36:38
All entries should be posted within 24 hours please.

What?  :o I thought this contest ended a few days ago. Crap! I might have finished my game. This is what I get for not checking the forums much this week.  :-X

gameboy

I had some unexpected occurrences last week and didn't have the time needed to work on the game. Due to that I had to shorten the game a bit, leave some parts out including some puzzles and multiple endings.

Anyway, big thanks for the final extension, Atelier! Without that I couldn't have finished what became my first MAGS game.

Here's my entry:

Ed Watts: Bar Runner

Download here!

Btw, I've been playing A LOT of Hubris recently... this stuff is pretty addicting. Great work Ghost!

Kasander

I believe the deadline is in couple of hours or so. Suddenly I gotta leave for few hours now but I gave my permission to ddq to upload and post a link to game asap. His putting the last touches right now... Anyway, if somehow goes wrong or something, blame it on me! Ddq was brilliant all the way and my kudos to him.

ddq

TWO SECONDS

Edit:

Kasander presents to you...

Jonah's Place

(patch with more interaction and extra dialog to come)

Ekeko

Do you think have what it takes to work for the...
SCUM PUB?

(I'll add another screenshot as soon as possible...)

If you think you do... Then download now!

MAGS Host

It's voting time :) 5/9 entries isn't bad at all, and those who couldn't make it had some really promising entries judging from the screens. I hope all will get released eventually!

As always, be sure to play all the games before casting your vote:

Once Upon a Time in Keel by spud   screenshot   download
HUBRIS by Ghost   screenshot   download
Ed Watts: Bar Runner by gameboy   screenshot   download
Jonah's Place by Kasander & ddq   screenshot   download
Scum Pub by Ekeko   screenshot   download

Because the MAGS site is still down, please PM your vote to this account. Don't worry about voting for yourself, I won't judge ;) Good luck everybody!!

Ghost

Ahhh, fresh games! With a side order of pretzels- I smell a nice gamey weekend.

Atelier

We have less votes than entries so far... hint.

gameboy

How long does the voting period last? I haven't had the time to play through all the games yet.

Ghost

It's a bit unfortunate that we have to resort to PMs- everybody has to check this thread and kick up the energy to send a PM. And the forums are still acting strange for me. Anyhow: I've cast my vote and I enjoyed all those cool little games a lot!

Kasander

I've played them all and voted!

C'mon AGS people, play them and cast your vote! This is not politics, you can't go wrong with playing MAGS games (or can you? ;))

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk