Donna: Avenger of Blood (warning! nudity! run for the hills!) - curr. ver. 1.5

Started by Goldmund, Fri 13/01/2012 02:09:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

Quote from: Goldmund on Thu 26/01/2012 21:31:16
@Shadow -> thank you kind Sir for this in-depth review!

Dude, I didn't heap the praise on highly enough! Honestly, I don't have enough words to truly reflect what a good time I had playing the game!

You can't view the profanity and sexuality among the flaws, though, because they were intended and form the total effect of the game, it's tits for tits' sake.

Notice that my heading was not "things I don't like" or "flaws", which is what I usually do when I rate a game. In this case, NONE of the points I made lessened the experience. I called them "weaknesses" just as things to think about. I had to really nit pick to find anything negative, just to be thorough.

As I said in that section, it's not a flaw, but rather an element that while perhaps makes it more fun and appealing to many people, it also reduces the audience for the game. Consider it just something to think about when analyzing the game rather than a flaw :)

Also, thank you for the bugs report: I will iron them out in the next version,

You're welcome. None of them really took away from the game or were serious but just to bring them to your attention :)

Once again, congrats on an outstanding game

SHADOW

Valentijn

AMAZING game, I just wrote some of my many positive thoughts about it on the AGS game download page. Thank you for finishing this (after so many years)! It's exceptionally great, one of the Big Ones of AGS as far as I'm concerned.

One question, and since it might be an additional puzzle but may also not be, and is in any case not a puzzle needed to progress, I thought to put in here rather than the hints & tips section:
Spoiler

In the Countrysons headquarters, is there any way to get into Ernest Rightwell's computer? Any way to figure out the password? And if so, would that make a difference for the remainder of the game?
[close]

Chrille

Valentijn, I was curious about that too! I figured it wasn't possible since Milena mentions that there's no time for trying.
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Goldmund

Thank you - I'm happy that you enjoy the game!

As for your question, gentlemen...
Spoiler

Well, I suspect that Rightwell has some interesting info in his laptop, but even I couldn't guess his password -- and I'm the game's author -- so I don't think you should waste your time trying...  :-[ )
[close]

Bishy

I've encountered a problem. I saved the game right before breaking into the antique shop (as in, before using the strength skill to knock down the door).

When I try to restore it however, the game crashes. It claims there was an invalid number for SetInventory (the number being 0). My only other savepoint was long before this, so now i've lost the will to play it.

Goldmund

Oh well, life's a bitch.
If you have entered the antique shop, though, and can still find a shred of will to bear with Donna for some more time, you can do what is described in this post and play on:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45144.msg606753#msg606753

rorstudio

Just finished it!
Congratulations,Goldmund!
this is one of the  greatest adventure games ever!

Goldmund

Xionix

Congrats its a great game, the puzzles are very clever but never frustrating until I got to that piano one. I guess I'm very dumb in music stuff. Is good to see this kind of mature games.

Datadog

Finally got around to playing it, and I applaud you, sir. This is a fantastic game and I highly recommend it.

The atmosphere alone is perfectly crafted. The black and white settings, the lens effects, the moving environments, the controversy in the air - it's like something out of a film student's project. And the story is set like a modern supernatural film noire. Much like Gabriel Knight, there's a lot of investigating and researching, but the game doesn't chug because of it. Granted, there are some very difficult puzzles near the end, but I found writing everything down on a piece of paper makes it so much easier (and takes me back to a simpler time as well). Not to mention there's some genuinely scary moments in here. The use of editing really took me by shock at times. And I especially like the blood and calm meters - requiring my character have a smoke break every now and then really lent to the game's realism.

I even like how maturely the sexuality is handled. There's so much nudity and I could see so many instances where other developers might have gone overboard and exploited these women for a few cheap thrills - but that wasn't the case here. The main story always overwhelmed these moments, and the focus was kept on building character relationships. Of course, there was that one really funny scene in the brothel, but even that was handled extremely well. I'm sure people will be offended regardless, but for what it is, it works.

And weird as it sounds, my favorite part had to be the debate scenes with the four old men. Took me a while to play by their rules, but once I figured it out, these guys were a hoot to hang out with. And another favorite scene: the hotel. Won't give anything away, but that sequence alone is worth downloading the game for. It's like something out of a movie.

So once again, thanks for the amazing game. It was nothing like what I expected, and it does rank right up there with the likes of Gabriel Knight and The Longest Journey (I can tell those were huge inspirations behind the game). Nice job!

(And thanks for including that "hearing impaired" note in the download). :)

Goldmund

Cheers, Xionix, I'm glad you liked it.

Datadog - thanks for the in-depth and generous review!
I'm happy you liked the La Bookery bunch, I was afraid that they might bore the players as their parts are so dialog-heavy. I had a blast making the hotel sequence, so it's great it works for you.

Thank you for your comments about the nudity, too. Full frontal is important to my concept of the game. With all the titties and pussies on display I think it's actually much cleaner than the innuendo and bursting cleavages in most PG titles.
There were two reasons for full nudity (and substance use):
1) it was supposed to say to the players: this is real stuff. We're playing serious now. You can actually expect everything in the game, if it doesn't shy away from the fact that women are sometimes nude.
2) I was growing tired with how tame and mainstream 90% of independent games have become, as if we still had some corporate marketing boneheads saying what you can show and what you can't.

Quoteit does rank right up there with the likes of Gabriel Knight

You don't know how amazing this comment makes me feel!

QuoteIt was nothing like what I expected

Now I'm really interested in what you were expecting? :-)

Xionix

No problem, and we need to see more games like this. But, can you give me a tip on the piano puzzle lol, I have tried but I did not seem to get it right. I tried with the puppy book's teachings, but still can't pass it. My 1st language is spanish, I don't know if maybe I'm miss reading the book or something, or maybe the part of my brain that deal with music is mess up.

Goldmund

Xionix - there's a text file in the game directory entitled "for hearing impaired." It will give you a combo for bypassing the puzzle.

Datadog

Quote from: Goldmund on Wed 15/02/2012 09:27:41Now I'm really interested in what you were expecting? :-)

Well, the screen-shots at the beginning of the thread don't really do the game justice. The story and experience is a lot more artfully cinematic in its execution. I've often seen amateur filmmakers and writers tackle mature and controversial subject in their work as a means of projecting shock value or getting preachy, but I don't get that same vibe from this game. It has a very good self-awareness about it.

There are a few shocking moments, such as when I first realized I'd have to hunt innocent civilians to survive. It took a few attacks before I realized Donna was leaving them alive and only taking what blood she needed. I still felt bad when I saw them squirming on the ground, but at least certain lines weren't crossed. The game may be dark, but it doesn't thrive on darkness.

dbuske

None of the powers work because of no blood.
The mouse has no blood
What if your blessings come through raindrops
What if your healing comes through tears...

Tabata

I played a bit of the game and have to tell you that it is really well done in story and gameplay.
I am really enjoying it!
Thank you for giving this to us!

@dbuske:
You might want to check the hints section for that.
This seems to be a good part for you (and if that's not the point you will get help over there for sure) ;)

Goldmund

Quote from: dbuske on Sun 19/02/2012 21:38:50
None of the powers work because of no blood.
The mouse has no blood

Rat, you mean?
The rat has blood.

Tabata - wheeeee, flowers! :D Thank you, glad you enjoy.

anothersomeone3232

I finished the game. This is best adventure game that I have played in a very long time! :)
Way longer than I had expected. I did find a few errors/shortcuts:
Spoiler

Donna has the ability to walk through the stone slab blocking the final chamber.
- first look at the stone slab
- then exit stone slab
- finally click the wall surrounding the slab (where cursor is red)

Donna will proceed through the slab, Milena will appear out of nowhere, and you will wonder what happened (I believe this can happen other places as well)
[close]
and then there is this problem during the last scene? happens every time here and at one other place (but I forgot where)

http://www.mypicx.com/02272012/donna/

but altogether a fine game...

Goldmund

Hallo, merci for compliments & comments.

The odd screen picture you posted is something I can't do anything with, since the anomaly is obviously hardware/system based (graphic cards, types of windows, all the things I wish to know as little about as possible) and nothing I could fix in the editor.

The shortcut you describe, however, really pissed me off & I'm going to eliminate it! So sloppy!  :-\

david

so finally I beat the game and here are my comments:

a DEFINITELY MUST PLAY game RIGHT NOW, bitches :)

At first I got pretty discouraged by the beginning of the game, because I couldn't make any progress. The very first room and got stuck. I got frustrated but tried some more attempts to get over with it. I've read in the hints and tips forum that people easily pass this section. Apparently this one was the toughest part for me. The easiest was surprisingly piano notes. Once I got used to it and the controls and actions were more friendly to me, then it was a really roadtrip to this wonderful and unique world of ordinary people with extraordinary skills and spirits.
I have to say I didn't expect this game to be that long. As reading in H&T forum some people say like I assume this is my night 4 or the last night. So after reaching night four I told myself well this would come to the great finale.
How I was mistaken, and I am glad that I was wrong. Because the game has completely hooked me up and since then I  wanted to beat it totally to the end. I enjoyed this game moment to moment by every bit of my body :).
I assume that one can reach 3 endings, right?

I am very happy that there is no walkthrough for this game on web or something because this would only ruin the experience and the whole idea of this project.

So, if you still hesitate to give this goddamn game a shot, I urge you do it right now you will not be disappointed. And please take your time to beat this game, don't be afraid of failure sometimes. Try just try and try and you will be honored by this fine game. It is really worth a try.
thank you

@goldmund and the whole group of yours: Salute
I highly recommend trying this game called Devil's shroud, it is more likely based on the similar story and the atmosphere is quite the same. here is the link, since the link in the forum is not active anymore
http://thedevilsshroud.altervista.org/downloaden.html

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk