BAKE SALE: RETINA

Started by Dualnames, Fri 13/01/2012 11:02:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Prologue:
I am quite aware of the rules, but I'm either breaking the games in-production ones, or these, so well. I'll be providing some concept art and designs for the following days till the bake sale. The game is 100% complete, and unlike I believe everyone else, I didn't make a wip topic, cause I never thought the end was due. So I apologize if this comes out of the blue.

Information:

Retina, is a keyboard controlled Zelda-like interfaced game. if anything it can be categorized as a prison simulator, I guess. In Retina, every item is represented by a letter. A wall is a series of the letters W.

The game takes place loosely around 2028, Christmas Eve.

You have been arrested for HIGH TREASON AGAINST THE CROWN, along with your friend. You are given FIVE DAYS to confess against your friend. A vision of the past seems to haunt you.

Features:
- Realistic actions (pretty much everything is possible. For example, taking your pillow and tearing it apart with a fork)
- Realistic reactions (everything you do, has an impact)
- Art by Victor Pflug/Pinback, creator of Beacon
- Soundtrack by Analog Guy, composer of Concurrence
-Themes/references of/to : Dreams, Fascism, Totalitariasm, Violence, Drugs, Music, Friendship

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

This looks very great; experimental in the positive sense, and the screens hint at a nice glum setting... Colour me interested, and congrats on finishing Retina!

CaptainD

Pretty much everything Ghost said - looks very interesting, and experimental in a good way.  I also like the idea that every interaction is possible, no matter how bizarre!

Chicky

This looks fab Dual! I think i'd just blame it all on my friend  :=

Dualnames

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AnalogGuy

Hi guys.  ;D

This was incredibly hard work mainly because of schedule and I was running out of time so I barely managed to compose everything needed... and in last possible day I had to work into 3.00 am (together with dualnames) in order to be able to finish the soundtrack and have the game ready for the bake sale. That tells you something about our devotion for the game and for the bake sale. ;)

Here's two important songs from the game as a demonstration:

Menu Theme

Memories of the past

Please enjoy!
Ask if you want me to compose your game.
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

Igor Hardy

I beta-tested this beast quite a bit. It's an amazing trip - as vile and dire as trips can get. A must play!

Also, great work on the soundtrack, AnalogGuy!

Dualnames

I have to say this game owes a lot to Mr. Igor Hardy as well.

Ponch

The bake sale team appreciates all your hard work and sleepless nights, gentlemen.  8)

Dualnames

Bumped, for no reason.  ;)

Igor Hardy

So now we've got bumped cake! (Yum  ???)

tzachs

How did this not get more attention?  :o

This is one of the more inventive and experimental games I've seen.
I'm very intrigued by the story, I think I didn't get the best ending, and didn't really understand everything that was going on. I would like to see a perfect walkthrough for this some day, if such a thing exists.

The game literally makes you feel like you're in prison, giving you that hopeless feeling that there's nothing you can do (which is mainly the reason that I don't want to replay it again, played it two times and got very depressed from being in prison)...

AnalogGuy

Another bump.

Tzachs is right. This game deserves a lot more recognition  ;)
---
One thing that I would like to see happen with films is for music not to be treated as just one more ingredient, but as an integral and fundamental part, due to its fatal capacity to affect the mood of the movie.

AnalogGuy

WTF? Retina was not even voted for nomination phase  >:(

Oh, right... Retina was made in 2012 whereas the nomination is for 2011 games....

sigh...
---

shredingskin

It's a really cool game, but I'm always doing pretty much the same things. I think I need a walktrough :(

lucydark

I wish I could play this game- Will Bake sale reopen or is there another resource for access to this game?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk