[ ON HOLD ] King's Quest 4

Started by Karens, Sun 15/01/2012 09:39:52

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAM

I've never played Kings Quest 4, but I can't really say this looks inviting either. The characteers seen in the example pictures look, to be frank, poorly posed and deeeep in the uncanny valley. Then there is the issue of the backgrounds shown: All the backgrounds are far too well lit, oversaturated and look like they were cast out of plastic. In the title screen, I cannot tell if the woman's face in the mirror is happy, screaming, in shock or having some sort of twisted orgasm.

I understand it is hard to work with 3D models in a 2D environment, but judging by the fact that you say you only have about 5% done so far, I would warmly recommend looking into some other game engine, that would allow you to work in 3D.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Nightfable

I find the graphics really pretty and charming; you'll easily find people interested in joining your team.

Keep it up and don't let anything get you down!  :)

agentbauer

Yes, I agree with Nightfable, but I also suggest that you look for another game engine, as AGS is not the best for making a 3d game.
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

Karens

Hey, sorry for the late reply;

The hero; that's great, I will defin let you know when Im in need of beta testers :)

I worked a little with the TSL team in the past so I can probably find someone there too, thanks for the advice,

Arjunaz78; thanks, I know the MMgames KQ project appears to be dead, but according to the directors they're still in development,, but yeah, it seems to go mysteriously slow..

Im not sure about dubbing and additional voice packs, I haven't really decided yet, but Im not a great fan of it, I have to admit, as you might end up with some rather cheesy sounding dialogue and narration, (seeing as the game has some cheesy lines here and there),
I'll have to find some really talented people if so... :),, but I will defin. consider it for the future,

And thanks for the encouraging words! :), I thought a long time about doing this project to be honest,, being the workhorse I am I already made over 200 backgrounds with animation for the MMgames team and another 10 years with the TSL team, so I have a lot of experience with KQ  and fan game art,

About a 3d engine; (thanks for the link Haggis, I appreciate it!), I’ve looked into those and the amount of polygons, 3d faces I need for my scenes far exceed those in any real time adv. game engine,, so that wouldn’t be possible, (those real time scenes can probably handle a couple of thousand polygons, while mine are usually around a couple of millions.. :)

Nightfable

You worked on The Silver Lining? That is so cool!!  :D

Your screens are gorgeous, how long does it get you to make one background? What program do you use?

olzen

I rather like the looks of this! All due respect to developers of VGA-remakes, but it's refreshing to see someone trying something more up-to-date. Good luck with your project :)

Radiant

This looks very cool, and I'd definitely play it!

smaug

Awesome images, as always!

I have always had a penchant for VGA graphics, like Kings Quest V and VI, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, and the like. I have found the three dimensional games I have played, (and granted, there have not been too many) to be somewhat blocky and too 'shiny', (lacking in texture, is perhaps a better description) graphic wise.

But these screens are flourishing with details, textures, beautiful lighting and pure emotion.

I can not wait to see Rosella moving through this, the most beautiful rendition of Tamir, yet!

Karens

Im using Cinema4d, best 3d app in the world,
and I guess it depends on how complex the scene is, the amount of time it takes me,, sometimes I can create a screen in a day or two, and other times I need a week.

MMMorshew

Even if the title screen and Rosella looks a bit too kitschy for my taste, all those backgrounds are amazing. They even look a little like photos taken from some handmade miniature world. For some reason, I could also imagine characters made out of modeling clay moving trough these landscapes, like in Wallace and Gromit.  ;D

Nightfable

So many details!! I want to jump in there and explore!

BTW, do you have any sprites of Rosella walking yet? I really can't wait to see more!  8)

Karens

Quote from: MMMorshew on Tue 24/01/2012 11:07:29
Even if the title screen and Rosella looks a bit too kitschy for my taste, all those backgrounds are amazing. They even look a little like photos taken from some handmade miniature world. For some reason, I could also imagine characters made out of modeling clay moving trough these landscapes, like in Wallace and Gromit.  ;D

Thanks, maybe it's a KQ dollhouse... :)

[/quote]
Quote from: Nightfable on Wed 25/01/2012 21:10:59
So many details!! I want to jump in there and explore!

BTW, do you have any sprites of Rosella walking yet? I really can't wait to see more!  8)

I haven't started animating her yet, Rosella, but I made a concept thingie, maybe Ill use the model to create some new cover art, I agree the old one isn't too good, a bit kitschy,

Im not sure if she looks a bit unattractive, her nose is a bit round, reminds me a little of the Rosella troll in kq7, but I don't want her to look too glamorous either,

used the wrong texture for the Rosella version with braids, that's why she looked so weird as a peasant girl; in full makeup :)

Quote from: Lambonius on Thu 26/01/2012 18:58:35
I'd take that Rosella model back to the drawing board, frankly.  She's not attractive at all.  Very boyish, and not at all what we've come to expect from the way she is represented in the series.

I think the model itself is well-rendered, certainly--but she's just...homely.

Yeah, I can see the peasant version of Rosella looking a little dull, but she just doesn't look right with full makeup,, I can make her lips a little redder though.

The castle version after some tweaking,

and a first test of a looping walk animation, still needs some work,

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/Karenssss/?action=view&current=Untitled-2.mp4

http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r26/Karenssss/?action=view&current=Untitled-3.mp4

Anian

I'd use the one that's right next to the full picture with the red dress (second from the right in the middle), the profile one. That one has the nose the right size and the eyes are not to high up. Although some of those face look like Dreamworks models - strong beards, eyes just a bit too high up, round noses etc.  :)

Btw what is this renedered in, Bryce? It sort of looks like Bryce, on the backgrounds at least. Design looks pretty good I think, keep it up.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Sslaxx

Quote from: Nightfable on Thu 19/01/2012 16:46:41
I find the graphics really pretty and charming; you'll easily find people interested in joining your team.

Keep it up and don't let anything get you down!  :)
Nice to see you combined efforts with Agentbauer! This game is getting a lot of love at the moment.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

miguel

Karens, those are some impressive screens you're showing. Good work.
Don't let anybody say otherwise or that you can't make it on AGS, just do it. The amount of work you're putting in this project is something to be admired.
Good luck, pick your own time to do it and release it when it feels right to you.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Snarky

Quote from: Karens on Thu 26/01/2012 05:59:46
Im not sure if she looks a bit unattractive, her nose is a bit round, reminds me a little of the Rosella troll in kq7, but I don't want her to look too glamorous either,

I haven't been too keen on the background screens (a bit tacky, a bit plasticky, and a bit busy for me), but then I'm not a fan of 3D-rendered art.

I think the character model is very nicely designed, though. Don't worry about her being "unattractive"; it's much better for her face to have some personality and look like a real person than to be generically perfect, interchangeable with every other computer game heroine.

Igor Hardy

Yeah, I agree with Snarky about Rosella. She definitely has personality the way you modeled her.

Lambonius

I'd take that Rosella model back to the drawing board, frankly.  She's not attractive at all.  Very boyish, and not at all what we've come to expect from the way she is represented in the series.

I think the model itself is well-rendered, certainly--but she's just...homely.

Darth Mandarb

Okay, this is getting a little off-track in here.

This is not the critics lounge so let's refrain from critiquing the art-work like a Critics Lounge thread!

Karens - as there seems to be some mixed feelings about Rosella; if you want to get some general advice please post the request in the CL (personally I like how she looks)!

Nightfable

Quote from: Karens on Thu 26/01/2012 05:59:46

The castle version after some tweaking,

]] image removed from quote [[

Oooo, I love her new design! *applause* Does it take long to animate a walk-cycle in 3D? I'm struggling with the my pixel-art Rosella walk-cycles -- I find the animations tougher to do than painting the backgrounds.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk