Untitled: Quest for Glory fangame [Including Teaser Trailer]

Started by poc301, Thu 19/01/2012 21:14:47

Previous topic - Next topic

poc301

Weggieware Games presents Untitled (A work in progress)

There is no official title yet, but it is a game inspired by the amazing Quest For Glory series. 

Teaser Trailer - 2 minutes

STORY:
The game takes place years after Quest For Glory 5.  The Hero from the original series disappeared after he saved Silmaria from the Dragon of Doom.  After the events in Silmaria the world was a much safer place, and the demand for heroes faded.  As such, less heroes attented the F.A.C.S. (Famous Adventurer's Correspondence School), and it eventually went out of business. 

Now an ancient evil stirs in the land of Woland.  Undead are rising and attacking the town, and there are rumors of an evil cult behind it all.  Word of these events brings the Famous Adventurer out of retirement to reopen F.A.C.S. in order to train more heroes.  Due to an interdimensional copyright infringement issue (hey, it happens, right?), the name was not able to be used, so he renamed the school R.O.A.C.H. (Renowned Online Adventurer's College for Heroes).

The first student is about to graduate from the school (guess who that is!).

Will you be able to solve the mystery in Woland and stop the undead invasion?  What is with the rumors of an evil cult behind it all?  And finally, what really happened to the Great Hero after he saved Silmaria?

GAME FEATURES:

All the staples from the original QFG games including day/night cycles, a few cameo appearances from games past, and (hopefully) the same humor that made the games so amazing.

3 Classes : Fighter, Mage and Thief.  Each class has their own unique look.  Each class can be further specialized into a subclass during the game, which opens up additional ways to play.

Turn-based combat system.  One move at a time, no button mashing.

A cartoonish art-style and rotoscoped animations for characters.  Each character has different movement styles/techniques.  For instance, in the intro sequence, the Famous Adventurer has a different walk than the player.  Different people recorded the movements so their body languages are unique.

Fully voice acted script.

And much, much more!

SCREENSHOTS:

And again, the teaser trailer video : CLICKIE!

Thanks,

Bill

Darth Mandarb

Ghost

Colour me intrigued. And a bitgreen from envy for such an awesome feature list!

Rotoscoping, really? Fangames can have that? Sounds amazing- how did you do it?

poc301

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 19/01/2012 23:22:00
Colour me intrigued. And a bitgreen from envy for such an awesome feature list!

Rotoscoping, really? Fangames can have that? Sounds amazing- how did you do it?

lol thanks Ghost :)

Rotoscoping is a lot of fun actually.  For the walking animations, there are TONS of reference videos on youtube.  You can just do a search for walk reference or something and find tons of videos.  I basically download the video from YouTube (applications or browser add-ins can do it), then I extract the frames of the animation into individual PNG files.  Then I edit each pic, and turn it into what you see.

For a lot of the other animations (casting spells, weapon swings, sneaking, crouching, getting objects, etc), I've got many many many many videos of myself, my wife, sister-in-law, friends, etc, all doing various motions in front of a white sheet in a spare bedroom.  I can edit the video the same way described above and get the animations.

Here are a few of them that I've started working on (I'm fine tuning them still) :

Hero - Fighter Class (Full walkset is done, up/down/side/diagonals)

Famous Adventurer Walking Sideways

Famous Adventurer turning around

Note that the green shirt on the Famous Adventurer wasn't there on the initial screengrab that I took.  I freehanded it, hoping to get the proper flow and motion of the fabric.  I'm still working on it :)

-Bill

Sane Co.

So far looks so good, can't wait.
I would suggest giving the main character (I presume) a bit more color, he doesn't seem natural. So far so good I say to you.

snoopy

YES!!! finally a quest for glory fangame. Will we be able to play as a Paladin? Will we be able to save our character to import in hopefully future quest for glory fangames ? And will you be having voices for the characters ?

poc301

Quote from: Sane Co. on Fri 20/01/2012 14:53:06
So far looks so good, can't wait.
I would suggest giving the main character (I presume) a bit more color, he doesn't seem natural. So far so good I say to you.

Hi Sane.  The colors are supposed to be this way.  1-2 shades per color, more or less a "light" and "dark" shade of each one.  Notice the background screens are like this also.  I am taking a page from the "Family Guy" and "American Dad" television show art style.  There is something simplistic and somehow elegant to me in this kind of style.

Quote from: Snoopy on Fri 20/01/2012 14:53:06

YES!!! finally a quest for glory fangame. Will we be able to play as a Paladin? Will we be able to save our character to import in hopefully future quest for glory fangames ? And will you be having voices for the characters ?

There is no paladin in this game since the player just graduated from R.O.A.C.H.  That, of course, doesn't mean they can't BECOME a paladin by playing honorably and doing noble deeds throughout the game.  

Yes, the game will export a save file to import into future games in the series.

Yes, there will be full voice acting for this game.  I will include it as a separate download probably, to keep file size down for those with slower internet connections.

Thanks,

Bill

johanvepa

Just wanted to check in on this, being a fanboy myself. I made a horribly embarrassing first post about how much I love QfG I, and now I'm trying to recreate a few of the screens from the old game (the only real QfG I game) as an exercise. Harder than you'd think, this game making. Best of luck to you.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Nanuaraq on Sun 03/02/2013 11:38:36I made a horribly embarrassing first post
Which you've now done again.

Please read the Forum Rules before posting again.

poc301 - If you're still out there somewhere (last active almost a year ago) and if you want to post an update let me know (in a PM) and I'll unlock this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk