Treasure Finder: PMQ

Started by Icey, Wed 25/01/2012 02:16:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Note: Keep all negative comments to oneself cause I don't want the Topic getting locked. However I have no problem with crit.

Play as Dave and go on a search for the 3 three magical Stars better known as the Dawn Stars.

TF:PMQ is a fun little short Mini Game. It's story is expressed through a Child's Storybook type of Style.

I was supposed to a extra level but I think I'll do it if someone is able to get at least 450p

Download

Ghost

I got 131 points in Bright forest, and then could't enter the other locations.  ???
Clicked like hell, to no effect. Do I need a certain score to unlock them, since your screenshots show additional levels?

[edit]
Okay, I just noticed that I can walk with the arrow keys, and click on the location spots when I am close enough. Again, a readme would have helped!  :o

Good Points:
Nice backgrounds-  I wouldn't say "child's book style" but the palette is nice.
Very nice music!
Simple mechanics, but not uninteresting.

Not So Good Points:
A readme or manual would be handy; it felt like a "find the hidden object" game. The need to select and cast a spell felt strange after being able to pick up stuff effortlessly, which suits the HOG formula.
Mouse scroll wheel down produces a sound effect, is that supposed to do something?
Obvious typos.
Very short!

Quote from: Studio3 on Wed 25/01/2012 02:16:25
I was supposed to a extra level but I think I'll do it if someone is able to get at least 450p

I did!

Icey

Thanks for Playing Ghost.

I bit of trouble setting the game it cause I never made a finding game before.

Mouse scroll) I will try to fix it cause sense I was using my laptop when I added that sound thingy I wasn't able to scroll in-game so..yeah I'll get on that.

Backgrounds)Thanks, I thought it sorta look like a child's book artwork, well not the in-game backgrounds like the level/world map but rather the cutscense.

Typoes) I figured there was a few types so when I fix the mouse things I will fix the typos as well.

Readme) I think that is the one thing I forgot to do. Might as well start it here.

TF: PMQ v1

Mouse) Left Click = Action Click   Right Click = Remove Magic cursor

Movement) Use the arrow key to move the player around on the world map.
NOTE: In order to go to the next level you must first walk with in range of the Shining (!) Location.

Tab) You can bring up a dialog box asking you if you want to turn ON/OFF the Active Hot Spot System.
I just noticed though that that part does not work though but it could just be on the Bright forest level.

TheRoger

Well I tried it too. After playing this game, I realised that it is possible to make a RPG with AGS : ) My final score was 382 and I beat the game like in a minute. Music was nice of course, but game it self quite short and it loops after the end, weird thing to do in a game. Unless you wanted that way for some reason. If I were you, I'd stick to longer and infrequent games. Some of your games are nice to play, but they're too short and sometimes lack of polish (bugs and typos).

Khris

I didn't try the cursor keys but got it to work after mindless clicking; pressing the mouse wheel makes the character walk in the level selection screen.

Icey

@Roger: Thanks for the complements, This Mog's game and I thought I had the skillz to assist him with a finding game cause I thought it wasn't that hard to make one of those games but I was so wrong cause just drawing a room for this type of game was kinda stressful cause you gotta think about the way everything is hidden and sticks out.

However I kept going cause when it comes to really really small games like this I can do a lot more than I normally do for a longer game.

@Khris: I was trying to setup the cursor were if the player clicks on the map he then would there but if he clicks a obj then he would interact with it. I couldn't figure out how to get it to work though...

Monsieur OUXX

Studio3 : How many times did we discuss this? BETA-TESTING. That's your weakness. You're so stubborn about this!

Snarky

Yeah. How awesome would it be if you had beta-tested the game, got feedback like this, fixed it, released it, and people would have been like "Oh, another game from Ice... HOLY SHIT! It's actually a fun little game that plays well and doesn't have any obvious issues!" You'd have blown everybody's minds.

But it's good to hear you're getting there, and it's still not too late to fix bugs and glaring (but easy-to-change) design issues. And then maybe next time you'll remember not to release before it's all ready, and it will be great.

Icey

I know know it's just I get really anxious to release my games to the world but at the same time I should have asked if some body would like to beta test it.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Studio3 on Wed 25/01/2012 21:58:30
I know know it's just I get really anxious to release my games to the world but at the same time I should have asked if some body would like to beta test it.

Next time I'll find your address and slap you in the face with a large trout. No less. DON'T DISAPPOINT ME, SON.

Icey

lol you got it  ;D

I should have the fixed version up by maybe 8:00 or less.

Ghost

Quote from: Studio3 on Wed 25/01/2012 22:38:21
lol you got it  ;D
I should have the fixed version up by maybe 8:00 or less.

Just a tip: No, seriously, NO!

Go the full extra mile, kid. I mean it. Look at this thread: You have released a game and people played it and now offer good feedback. Do not rush this.
HOGs are about carefully made rooms and one simple mechanic. You CAN do that, but take your time.

Fix the obvious bugs first. That's top priority, that's what everyone expects. Deliver that.
Add a few rooms. The falling star story is nice and simple and works just as well with seven stars. Or a dozen. Or with DragonBalls. Add rooms, maybe tie them to a theme (elements?).
Then, before you re-release, have people test the game.
Repeat until your testers claim that they find no bugs.
THEN re-release, here.

Believe me, it will be worth the effort: For you AND for us.

Icey

humm...your right I mean it's not a MAGS game so I really have time on my side. I fixed most of the Bugs & the typos already. I think I could add maybe 2 more levels to fit the world map(Snow Mt., Volcano). Those levels could be like Boss levels! And instead you can get 2 of the Dawn Stars from those bosses. I could even throw in the secret level so if you have enough points you could unlock it.

Dualnames

4L50 715 1MP0R74N7 2 7ELLZ U 7H47 U M4Y N07 54Y5 5K1LLZ 1N5734D 0F 5K1LL5. KTHXBAI.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Icey

Also it's important to tell you that you may not say skillz instead of skills. K thanks bye.

I think I got the point & the translation right ;)

LimpingFish

Complete
adjective
1.having all parts or elements; lacking nothing; whole; entire; full.

This is not a beta-testing forum. You just admitted you had no deadline, so why push the game out the door in such an unfinished state? It does no favours for you, your game, or the people who take the time to play it. Instead of thinking of things to add to the game after you've released it, plan things out in advance, and explore everything you might want to feature ahead of time.

Make a GiP thread and release a demo version, or an alpha version, to get bug feedback and such. Or beta-test with people outside your own creative group.

The shortened URL link in the thread title is redundant, seeing as you already link to the game's download page in the first post, so I've taken the liberty of removing it.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

The game can have some extras add but it doesn't mean it was already finished that's 1 reason why I released it. However I could made a demo GIP thread but I was nervous it was gonna get flamed cause of me working to many games, It was the cause of the whole back in forth in the Pub MAGS, and I didn't think anyone was going to wan't to try the game plus I already got 2 games going in the GIP.

As for the short url, I put it there cause it's way more easy to get to the download page for me and for others looking to check out the game.

Khris

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 27/01/2012 00:34:17However I could made a demo GIP thread but I was nervous it was gonna get flamed cause of me working to many games, It was the cause of the whole back in forth in the Pub MAGS
No, that happened because you tried to cheat then lied about it, then entered in the next MAGS although you were banned.

Quotewan't

Icey

want > wan't doesn't matter can read it? yes you can. I did it on an accident ok, my bad. I was more focused on his comment than my grammar.

Spoiler

I don't want to go back over that whole topic again but in a sense this game led to another argument about everyone seeing everything from one view and over looking what was really there. I didn't get banned I left of my own free will and you can't ban someone with given them a proper date. Something like take a break until you can come back with out some type of problem. It doesn't work like that. I even said early in the Dec MAGS that I was not going to enter but I would still help others, That doesn't change unless it was 1) announced by atelier, 2)I changed my mind.

With all that being said, I never did any of the 2 things you said. P.S. There is no such thing as team entering when it comes to MAGS voting. It's just you and your game. The other peoples don;t claim no reward other wise the MAGS would be out if control if a game with about 15 contributors was enter and won. That means 15 MAGS come March.
[close]

I'm not mad and was not mad when I last commented. I'm just sharing my thoughts. Now let's get back on topic.

Khris

Delude yourself all you want, that doesn't change what actually happened. We know it and you know it.

Quotethis game led to another argument about everyone seeing everything from one view and over looking what was really there.

If all your games suffer from the same serious flaw, why wouldn't we point that out every time it happens again? This is game #30 or so released without so much as an alpha test, it seems.
But yeah, again, this is really our fault for not seeing what's really there. ::)

You are aware that you're always anxious to release your latest game and that this has lead to publishing it in a broken state in the past, several times. You also know that the community's reaction will be accordingly.
So why are you still doing it?

Is it really impossible for you to at least once do something that at least resembles acting in a grown up, level-headed way?
You gotta be tired of getting put down every time you publish something, right? But, unfortunately, since you're clearly absolutely incapable of recognizing when something is your own fault, I won't get my hopes up.

WHAM

Improve your habits or...

Spoiler
I can dream, right?
[close]
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Icey

That's not really what I was trying to point out khris but that is something I can say I over look a lot. Yeah I get really excited about releasing the game to the point where I release it with a few-a lot of bugs. This is not what I intend to do as I go through game doing everything I'm supposed to do not really testing other things you can't do that may cause the game to crash or something. I can see things 1 way or maybe even my way but everyone see stuff different so that I think is the reason why you think I can't recognize the "obvious" cause I'm seeing it from a different angle than you.

miguel

Icey, it's not Khris's point of view. It's the community point of view towards games that aren't tested.
Please DO read what everybody writes about your conduct and try to learn something from it.

You kind of always try to work-around your way every time you screw it up. It doesn't work, STOP. And THINK.

Portuguese saying: Don't make excuses, avoid them!

Here's a tip from somebody that makes loads of mistakes when writing in English: add a dictionary for your browser, I use Firefox but all others should have it too.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Ghost

Quote from: Studio3 on Fri 27/01/2012 20:09:16
I can see things 1 way or maybe even my way but everyone see stuff different so that I think is the reason why you think I can't recognize the "obvious" cause I'm seeing it from a different angle than you.

I really do not know if you realize how tolerant EVERYBODY is towards you. By now you have established yourself as someone who can create a game worth playing (or at least playable without a crash), but for every good game there are at least three which are broken or buggy. Your attitude has remained the same: Whenever you are given advice, you either twist it, ignore it, or agree that you will follow it and THEN ignore it, or even complain about being given advice.

And still the very same people who are frustrated and even angered by your attitude will take the time to play your games and give, again, feedback and advice. I think you should be very glad about that.

You seem to think your the teen who's always scolded by the adults. In fact people of all ages, with experience that you lack, are trying to help you. And seriously, you can't blame anyone for being straightforward, blunt or even harsh after such a long time of a) repeating the same mistakes over and over and b) twisting the facts.

As for "let's get this back on topic", there's really not much to say. You have been told where your game lacks. It's up to you to improve the game, try it and test it, and then re-release it. Or better, make a GiP. Ask people to test your game. Become a team player outside of your "Studio3" idea.

Quote from: miguel on Fri 27/01/2012 21:45:31
Portuguese saying: Don't make excuses, avoid them!
miguel, that's a pretty cool saying!

LimpingFish

And on that note, I'm calling an end to this episode of "Leave It To Icey!"

I'll leave the thread open for now, in case anyone has anything to add about Studio3's actual game, but...beware the lock!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

@Ghost: I guess your right, I mean if there is at least one thing I could do I could try to see things from other peoples views, Maybe that'a work  :-\

@LimpingFish: Can you just lock the topic cause I guess later own I will just start up a GIP.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk