Crash near the end of a dialog.

Started by KodiakBehr, Wed 25/01/2012 02:52:25

Previous topic - Next topic

KodiakBehr

Is anyone aware of anything that can cause a crash without any explanation or AGS-specific error message when running a dialog (with a fair amount of code embedded within)?

I want to trace the root of the problem, but this particular dialog happens to also be a rather complex puzzle and it may take some time to root it out.  I'm without any hints as to the cause of the crash.

KodiakBehr

Nevermind.  I wrote my way around it.

Sslaxx

Could you be more specific? Both about what the problem was and what you did to work around it?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

KodiakBehr

Yeah, sorry about the ambiguous question.  If I knew what the problem was, I might have been able to solve it.

By repeatedly cutting code and running to see what worked, I learned that the error was originating with a specific if-statement being called within the dialog.  If an integer variable was greater than -1 and another variable was less than 1, then a specific message was to be displayed.

No idea why this specific statement was causing crashes, when other identical ones ran perfectly.  It will remain a mystery to me.  But in my frustration realized there was a more elegant way of re-writing the entire puzzle, with the added bonus keeping it a lot more logical for a player to solve.

Moderator, by all means delete or lock or whatever it is that needs to be done.  Apologies.

KB

Khris

This is about other people who have the same problem and find this thread using the forum search.

Could you at least post the code that caused the crash?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk