Summerbatch - v2 consideration

Started by , Sun 29/01/2012 02:36:13

Previous topic - Next topic

m0ds

http://www.summerbatch.co.uk

Hmm, the info here has been lost since the server change. Sorry. Please see page 6 for now :)

LimpingFish

I like the sound of this. I have a handful of stagnating projects that would benefit from a deadline/goal. And money is always biscuit! Though it's early days yet, a list of DOs and DON'Ts regarding possible copyright/licensing pitfalls is something that would prove handy.

But I do very much like the sound of this!
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

m0ds

Thanks man, would be great of you to do that! Licensing pitfalls, hmm, good point. Naturally it has to be your own IP from start to finish, and I guess it would mean the usual methods of AGS commercial games (ie the engine which excludes MP3). Feel free to discuss those DO's and DONT's though if I'm not quite catching your drift. And thanks to those who've PM'd but want to remain anonymous.

Big GC

For success I think you would need to approve games.

The "product" you put out should be a reflection of the best of AGS.
You want people like me who may buy these things to enjoy a high standard and be inclined to keep getting bundles in future.
Making a game - this should be easy......?

bicilotti

Colour me interested m0ds! A really nice idea which could provide devs limelight and some money, which is never bad. A couple of suggestions:

- as Big CG say, you should outline the approval process. That will make sure people will not try to freeride (like happened in some MAGS) and the buyer is left with a good aftertaste.

- Summerbatch must be limited in time! It is a special offer and as such should be fleshed (temporal window could be quite long though). Otherwise you kind of lose the uniqueness of the batch, that is what I think.

You proved you can organise stuff with adventureX, I wish you luck with this one!

Radiant

Considering how well the Bake Sale turned out, I'd be interested in this one too.

Dualnames

I'm officially declaring interest. Now what game to make, no clue yet. But I'm declaring an interest to be declared. Are non-ags games allowed?

EDIT: Also
QuoteConsider it a way to raise some pocket money. Alternatively, rob Dualnames.
Thumbs up for this amazing advice :P
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sane Co.

I will try my best to enter. Now to recruit some people.

Babar

Count me in as well, obviously. A mid-may deadline should be totally doable for what I am working on! :D
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

Sounds very interesting (And it's hard to NOT be tempted by having "make a game" and "get paid" in the same sentence.  ;D)
I'd like some more information about the "level of quality", though: Any chance for game without voice-acting, cinematic cutscenes, and medium-length, or would a larger, super-polished game be better suited?

In any case, this is an interesting project and I like the way it is presented and outlined!

veryweirdguy

I'm 'interested', but to what degree, I am not yet sure. I'd love to be kept posted though!

Bror_Jon

Quote from: Babar on Sun 29/01/2012 17:20:36
Count me in as well, obviously. A mid-may deadline should be totally doable for what I am working on! :D

Yes. For what YOU are working on. ._.

Also, I strongly approve of this Summerbatch!
Quote from: monkey_05_06
I officially love you good sir, Always and Eternally.

Babar

Quiet, you silent worker in the back-room! You'll ruin the surprise!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Igor Hardy

Great initiative!

I'd love to join. However, for the time being I'm focused on a game that will get finished much earlier than May, so I'm really not 100% sure how I'll feel about the deadline after I'm done with the current project.

LimpingFish

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 29/01/2012 03:12:50
Feel free to discuss those DO's and DONT's though if I'm not quite catching your drift.

No, you're right. The main points would be the MP3-less engine, and that a game is not based on an established IP. But also, just to cover ourselves, it might be handy for potential developers to keep in mind the various stipulations that are attached to free or royalty-free resources they may decide to use. From fonts to sound-effects or music, if you source something for free, make sure to keep track of who it came from and whether it's free for commercial use, requires a credit or permission, or is covered by a Creative Commons license (or some such).

As most of us probably know, the copyright pitfalls involved in producing a commercial game, as opposed to a freeware game, are significant, and just making them clear ahead of time might save us potential trouble.

Hooray for Captain Buzzkill! \o/
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Ilyich

Bundles seem to be everywhere these days, but since it's not a bundle, but a batch - I say go for it! :D Also, there's not that many adventure games in them and the fact that all the games will be exclusive makes it quite different.

I'm definitely interested in joining, but as someone who haven't finished a single game yet, I'm probably not the most trustworthy candidate. :D I should be able to make something half-decent by May though. And if that doesn't work out, I can always help someone with the graphics. :)

Ali

I think this a great idea, but for the next few months I'm too busy wasting money on my education to earn money making a game. Pity...

The big question remains, is this project named after Lord Cheekbones himself, Benedict Cumberbatch?

Mati256

I think this is a great idea. Of course free things are awesome, but if you want to earn some money from a thing you have taken the time and effort to create, then why be ashame? I say go for it! Try to make a living out of something you enjoy, that us the ultimate goal.
My Blog! (En Español)

qptain Nemo

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 29/01/2012 21:48:07
Hooray for Captain Buzzkill! \o/
Omg LimpingFish you like killed my mood and motivation forever  :(
Spoiler
Just kidding, nice advices there, mate ^_^
[close]

Quote from: Mati256 on Sun 29/01/2012 22:20:56
I think this is a great idea. Of course free things are awesome, but if you want to earn some money from a thing you have taken the time and effort to create, then why be ashame? I say go for it! Try to make a living out of something you enjoy, that us the ultimate goal.
'tis really nice to hear opinions like this one :) Thank you Mati256 for understanding and encouragement!

Stupot

Sounds great.  I won't be making any games until summer, and even then it'll probably be shite.  But some of us are gonna have to try and keep the freeware side of things propped up while eveybody else is selling out ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk