Summerbatch - v2 consideration

Started by , Sun 29/01/2012 02:36:13

Previous topic - Next topic

AJA

Sure, I'm interested. Especially since I've been toying around with an idea that I was planning on making this spring anyway. Joining this batchamacallit might ensure that it actually gets finished.

m0ds

Thanks for your interest chaps, I'm updating the first post as we go and will get the forum thing set up so we can discuss further the legal issues and structure of the project. For now yes just gather motivation and think up some ideas! :D

Baron

Intrigued and supportive, but timeless.  Wait, that didn't come out right.

tzachs

Declaring my interest!
I'm a bit worn out from the bake sale, and have a wedding to arrange as well, so if I do join, it will probably be with a game on a smaller scale.

Ponch

Quote from: tzachs on Mon 30/01/2012 18:44:02
if I do join, it will probably be with a game on a smaller scale.

9 Weeks In. A dog has been falsely accused of chasing a car and sent to a medium security kennel until she learns her lesson. She must clear herself of these charges and restore her good name (good doggy!) before her litter of pups arrive. But she has only two days left!  8)

Ghost

Quote from: m0ds on Mon 30/01/2012 00:14:42
For now yes just gather motivation and think up some ideas! :D

And I've just got rid of the glue sniffing...  ;D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

As I mentioned in IRC, this is something for which I already have an early-phase project that will fit in nicely, so at least for now I'm in.

Snake

Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

m0ds

I'm out of crayons, but I'll definitely add you and you other fellows to the black & white list now :)

cat

Great idea, but I won't be able to participate. I want to finish my longtime project till autumn and don't have time for another project in a commercial quality.

kaputtnik

Yeah, so - Mr. 3o4, abstauber and me have another game sitting on our shelves, waiting to be finished. I'm having awesome fun thesis writing times at the moment, but the deadline is April 30, so I could probably add some awesome fun game making crunch times in May and finish it. Does this sound acceptable?
I, object.

Babar

I just realised...
If everyone who says they are entering creates a game in time (which may not happen, of course), you'll have 17 games as of now, and probably many more people are going to sign on.
I'd say that is a bit...overmuch for one bun...thing.

You could maybe split them into 2 or more bundles, but that'd probably just confuse and convolute things.
Perhaps you can take the opportunity of having a new name (i.e. "It is a summerbatch, not a bundle!") to also think up some different form of collection or whatever. Like a person could obtain any 10 games out of the total by providing whatever amount they wished, but if they wanted all of them, they'd pay a more than, or equal to a fixed value. This could, of course make the game authors angry because then perhaps their game would not be chosen, but it is only one suggestion I came up with on the fly.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Ghost

From personal experience: The number of interested people doesn't equal the number of finished games. There are team-ups, things getting in the way, and other things that will surely reduce the number. And not all finished games may reach the quality standards. Many potential games are a good thing to have because you'll often end up with considerably less actual games.

If there are really very many games, there's ways to deal with that too:
- The full collection could be sorted by theme and released side by side in smaller packs: SummerBatch A: "Suspension and Horror", SummerBatch B: "Screwball Comedy"... etc.
  This would nicely tie in with a small motivational "price drop" for people who buy all packs at once.
- Games could be saved for a future SummerSale.
- and I bet there's more...

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: Ghost on Tue 31/01/2012 11:26:21
And not all finished games may reach the quality standards.
Though when I look at the list of interested people, I doubt there will be many low quality games coming out of this, just too much awesomeness in there!

Colour me interested (in yellow) in the distant, distant hypothetical future, when/if my skills in graphics, storytelling and puzzle design are anywhere near a commercial quality standard...

qptain Nemo

What Ghost said.
Moreover, trying to eliminate the "problem" of too many entrants in advance won't do any constructive good. And it's not really a problem at all in my opinion, since the more games are in the bundle the more attractive it is to buy.

m0ds

No problem cat, best of luck - and yes mr Kaput that is absolutely fine. I have to go out so this is a bit rushed, but Babar I see what you're saying, it's a very interesting point of discussion and I have also wondered about the 'perfect limit'. What it would entail in terms of development, also how it pans out financially would need some thought because I see your point, and Ghost's and Nemo's...

If it's necessary would it be quality over quantity or vice versa, but I think that could make for quite a cool "quality control" period before release and general reason to aim for something well made. It could put people off though.

However, just having as many as possible great quality seems more fitting for now. Certainly, as Nemo says, in terms of actually getting material made. But this is something to discuss at a private forum. Holding some games back for a secondary .bat (ie winterbatch?) could be good for all of those involved if we can make a fair financial model out of it, and I have no problem promoting what you might consider "lesser quality" games in other batches. The less games you have in the batch of course means better potential earning for each team leader. But I wouldn't want people to feel they may not get their game in it. You all have some interesting thoughts & ideas though.

I agree we have the interest that could mean many great games :) There's a John Carpenter, a ghost, an elephant, a fish, a snake charmer & a Ben Chandler what more could you ask for?  ;D And there is still plenty of time to get involved.

To be fair, I'll make the end of February the last oppurtunity to be involved in this first batch, though. And if you have a game already made (or almost fully made) and own all the original content (no copyright or mp3's in it) you are also more than welcome to get in on the action, but early on in the process, show your interest - this is something I need to think about a bit further before saying "yeah sure". Brand new games are a must. The idea is to help everyone earn a little tho, not just an elite group only. For now though we'll discuss these interesting philosophical points further in private and find the best way.

Continue to use this thread as a place to sign-up and register your interest though!

Eggie

Me, Bluke4x4 and Krazy miiiiight have finished our big, stupid overambitious project that's taken us all way too long by this deadline. This would be a great thing to be involved in, we'll work hard, we'll try and get it all done and polished and worth paying money for.

Dualnames

Quote from: Snake on Mon 30/01/2012 21:12:27
Color me interested.
Quote from: m0ds on Mon 30/01/2012 21:37:25
I'm out of crayons, but I'll definitely add you and you other fellows to the black & white list now :)

I AM LITERALLY LAUGHING MY ASS OFF.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ghost

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 31/01/2012 18:08:50
I agree we have the interest that could mean many great games :) There's a John Carpenter, a ghost, an elephant, a fish, a snake charmer & a Ben Chandler what more could you ask for?

One of the most flattering sentences Ive ever read.  8) We lack a CAKE, though. Or cake dough.

Armageddon

If you give me a year to code my own 2D engine I'd be happy to join. ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk