Fortnightly Writing Competition - CENSORED! (01 Feb. - 14 Feb. 2012)

Started by monkey0506, Thu 02/02/2012 01:03:31

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

We all know what you're thinking. Why? Because you posted it to Facebook. And we're sick and tired of it. From here on out, we're not going to tolerate this unadulterated behavior. You have officially been censored. Break the rules, and we won't ask why. Strike one: You're out!

In this fortnightly, spin a tale of censorship. Is it good, is it bad? Now is the time not only to voice your opinion, but to make it ours as well. The sky's the limit on this one, provided that you got proper clearance first!

Bonus points* for originality:  Think outside the [CENSORED FOR COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT].â,,¢

*That is, I will show personal bias toward you. :=

Ponch

monkey0506

There will be trophies for the top 3 if we get more than 5 entries.

There will be trophies for the top 5 if we get more than 10 entries.

There will be trophies for the top 10 if we get more than 25 entries.

There will be trophies for everyone if we get more than 50 entries.

Sinitrena

Eternal book

There was once a book that told a thousand stories and more. In this book everything that ever was and ever will be was written down and when you read from this book you made it happen. I would love to tell you a story from this book, tell you what was and what will be, of what is unlasting and what is eternal. I would love to show you how the world changed with a word but I can’t. All I can do is tell you from the time this book still existed, from the time magic was still possible and words had real power. But I prefer to tell you the story of the destruction of this book.

Truth is, this story was written in the book itself and so was the fact that I am telling you about all this now. Some people say that therefore the book never meant anything because things happen even though the book was destroyed and nobody reads from it anymore. But this is not true, because the book was power and knowledge and power through knowledge â€" and that is why it was destroyed.

People always used the book. That was to be expected. It is normal human behaviour to be curious. Whom will I marry? Will I have children? Who is going to be the next king? Will this building last for all eternity? People asked questions and people got answers and it never changed anything because the book knew everything and so it knew that people looked up their stories.

But then there was this man â€" some say he was a priest, some say he was a king or a peasant â€" I can’t tell you what is true. I could, if the book still existed and with it the truth but it doesn’t. Anyway, this man believed that it was a bad thing to know the truth, that people would try to reach higher if they didn’t know they couldn’t touch the sky, that they could do more, be more... Or maybe he believed that he could and would be more without the book â€" more important, more powerful, more than just a normal human being. He wanted to be a god â€" so it is said, at least.

The man walked up to the temple where the book was kept. He was tired and he was sad. It is said, someone he loved had died a short time ago.

“I want to see the book.”, he said.

“Of course.”, answered the priest. “It will just take a moment. Someone else is reading from it now.”

“Of course.”

“Please don’t do it.”, said the priest after a moments hesitation because he, of course, knew why the man was there. He ignored him.

No-one stopped the man as he walked into the temple even though they could have. Maybe it wasn’t written in the book that the man was stopped but it may would have been if someone tried. We will never know.

On the way through the atrium he took a candle from a small table. It is said that the book itself and every human screamed for three days while the book burnt.

You might think he could simply have stolen the book, that there was no reason to destroy it but that wasn’t enough because his future and everyone else’s stories would still be predetermined. He thought the destruction would change that.

Perhaps it did. Perhaps it is not true that my story to you was written in it such a long time ago. But that is the problem. It is not important whether our lives are predetermined or if we know what will happen in our lives. But it is important to know what really was and what really will be. It is important to know what is true and what is false and there is no way to know this anymore.

I miss the magic that was possible because of the book, the fact that things could change without any other reason than someone reading from the book, but I miss the truth more.

Father, asked the child, isn’t it more important to have different opinions than one ‘truth’ that everybody believes?

In this book there was every opinion and every thought and there was still truth and everybody could read everything. Now, now there still are different opinions but nobody can read them anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great theme, monkey!  :-*

Ponch

Good theme, Monkey. I wish I'd had time to write something for it.  (Damn, I missed out on MAGS too. Not a good month for me.  :-\ )

Dualnames

NIH-187

Description:

Experiment under the ID NIH-087 has been contained within a seamlessly endless white chamber (referenced to as Chamber from so forth). Thanks to the scientific expertise of [DATA REMOVED] the room floor is consisted of moving tiles. The tiles follow the algorithm given by the motion sensor system. Thus providing the illusion of movement and infinity, both essential to this experiment.

Purpose:

The experiment has been conducted twice after the creation of the Chamber. Unsuccessful results and severe misfortunes during both said attempts, experiment has now been abandoned until further notice from Dr [DATA REMOVED]. Below follow the logs of said attempts (see Logs 01-N3-M0/Zx32 and 02-C4-R1/Nx4)

Safety Procedure:

Under no circumstances shall entrance by allowed anymore to anyone, until authorization is present by Dr [DATA REMOVED]. Otherwise, armed personnel guarding the facility is protected under Article [DATA REMOVED] to terminate subject(s).

If entrance is authorized, armed personnel are required to provide the subject(s) with the inventory provided to previous attempts. Said inventory is consisted of the following:

Cyanide capsule (1)

White Robe (1)

Wireless Camera and Microphone (1)

Every other item must be placed in the box [DATA REMOVED] provided by the personnel. If subject fails to survive and does not include a will testament, the box must be incinerated.

Subject must also follow procedure 01-CVB, before being admitted entrance to Chamber. Upon entrance to the Chamber, the subject must at all times, provided that it's possible, provide video stream and audio to Dr [DATA REMOVED].

Provided the experiment is finished under huge success, the subject must return each and every item in any state, to retrieve the box [DATA REMOVED]. Otherwise the subject is to be terminated.

History:

01-N3-M0/Zx32

Subject: Male, Russian, age 25.

Subject followed the procedures correctly and without protest. Subject is believed to have suffered from depression and sleep deprivation. Regardless, experiment proceeds normally.

Subject enters the Chamber.

18 minutes of pure white-filled footage follow. Nothing worth mentioning in footage or audio stream.

Subject: I see a figure of a ...[pause] man? Is that a man? [pause] (this is whispered followed by heavy breathing)

Dr [DATA REMOVED]: We see the figure. Proceed.

16 seconds pass.

Subject: The man seems to slowly come towards me, how is that..possible?

Dr [DATA REMOVED]: We have acknowledged said fact, proceed.

2 minutes pass, slowly the black shaped figure of a man approaches the subject. Subject according to data collected from audio stream begins breathing heavily.

Dr [DATA REMOVED]: Subject, do you copy?

Subject: I'm...[pause]...here...oh ..shit..

Subject responds in trembling voice, almost overcome by a panic attack.

35 minutes pass, the figure has stopped moving towards the camera. Subject has been somewhat relaxed.

Subject: The figure appears to be a man facing the ground. I can hear some jargon out of him, or perhaps it's me hearing stuff. I can't make out what it is.

Dr [DATA REMOVED]: Proceed.

Another 12 minutes pass, the figure slowly fades to white during said period of time.

Subject: The figure is..[pause] OH FUCK, IT'S.. (heavy breathing and sudden increase in heart-rate occurs)

Dr [DATA REMOVED]: Return to face it, now!

Subject disregards suggestion and screams at the top of his lungs while running, the camera falls on the ground after 1 minute and 30 seconds approx and breaks. Audio and video stream are abruptly interrupted.
Subject has been terminated. End of log.

02-C4-R1/Nx4

[DATA REMOVED]

Procedure 01-CVB:

Subject must be placed in room [DATA REMOVED] for a certain period of time, decided upon analysis of data and background. Before entry subject must be relieved of hair (shaved entirely). Room [DATA REMOVED] serves the sole purpose of accommodating subject to extreme white light.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Sinitrena

Isn't it time to vote here? Or was the voting censored and I can't see it?  ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Sinitrena on Fri 17/02/2012 19:09:59
Isn't it time to vote here? Or was the voting censored and I can't see it?  ;)

Seriously, are we ever going to vote and get on to the next theme?  :-\

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ponch

kconan

Sinitrena

Someone count the votes and lets get the ball rolling again on the writing comps.

Dualnames

It's 3 on Sinitrena. So yeah, fine by me :D

demands hugs as a loser

Ponch

But Sinitrena hasn't been on in weeks.

Since someone has to do it, I declare Sinitrena the winner. If he hasn't not claimed his prize in 72 hours, Dualnames gives up the "Miss Congeniality" prize and becomes the winner instead.

You have three days, Sinitrena. We await your theme, all a'tingle with antici....

-pation.

The cow has spoken!  8)

Sinitrena

hugs Dual
I would have voted for you, but as Ponch pointed out I wasn't online for some time. (Exams at university take my online time away  :-\)

Thanks for the votes, guys.  ;D
New competition will be up soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk