Background Blitz -- Map Overview -- Feb 8th to Feb 24th | WINNER ANNOUNCED

Started by nihilyst, Wed 08/02/2012 18:28:40

Previous topic - Next topic

nihilyst

This time, we're going in a slightly different direction. Instead of making your average in-game background, you get to make your average in-game map screen. You can do overview screens of cities, islands, castles, a moon crater, an apartment building or whatever you like.

Restriction: Anything that fits with AGS is fine.

Voting will start on Feb 24th.
And now: get to work and have fun :D

cheers
nihilyst

Misj'

nice theme...working on something, but don't know if I'll make the deadline.

ps. All of you, grab your pen and draw something so I won't win by default if I submit a yellow square. ;-)

gameboy

Don't worry, I've also been working on something. Probably coming out tomorrow or day after.

oraxon

Our hero and heroine escape to a tropical island...and then their problems REALLY begin.

Misj'

Quote from: oraxon on Thu 23/02/2012 08:44:51
Our hero and heroine escape to a tropical island...and then their problems REALLY begin.
nice  :)

Privateer Puddin'

gameboy

Ali

I must chip in to say, I think "Paddleboats" is a hilarious.

oraxon

Thanks gameboy! Sharp, classy map you painted there.
Thanks Misj', looking forward to yours!
:) Thanks Ali. Just saw your video from Adventure-X, your game's gonna rock.

nihilyst

Great entries so far. Is someone still working on something?

Misj'

Quote from: nihilyst on Fri 24/02/2012 20:09:37
Great entries so far. Is someone still working on something?
Will be entring in a few minutes...

So here's my entry...I wanted to take a different take on the overview map than the other entries, so I decided on an actual map overview for the part of the story that would take place in the hotel...it still fits within the rules :)

Background-story: a young scientist is stuck at a conference in a tropical resort and has to find a way to spend his time in an absolute non-science related manner without his professor - whom he told he was sick - catching up on him. Yes, it's a total rip of Ferris Bueller's day off...so there's probably going to be a singing routine somewhere in the game...aloha doctor.

I decided to go for a hand-drawn on-a-budget cartoon look...so some of the roughness is intentional. Some of it is due to lack of time (yeah, sorry about that). Also, the goal of the lighting was to create a mood and focus on the map rather than an accurate representation of physics or logic (who in their right mind would make an exotic hotel-lobby this dark?)

In-game the red dot would point to the player's current location, and the plant would be substituted for different objects depending on where you are (jukebox, hand-dryer, etc). And if I had a little more time I would have finished this rough animation of the character (my apologies for the file-size, my usual software had a weird glitch):

WHAM

Oh no! Deadline is today?
I had hoped to use this as a good excuse to dig up and old project and start re-drawing the concept arts into actual game-useable maps, but I have no time until maybe sunday! :'(
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

nihilyst

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 24/02/2012 20:43:41
Oh no! Deadline is today?
I had hoped to use this as a good excuse to dig up and old project and start re-drawing the concept arts into actual game-useable maps, but I have no time until maybe sunday! :'(

So then let's just extend the deadline until monday :D

Armageddon

Oh no! Now I have to throw something together. ::)

WHAM

Quote from: nihilyst on Fri 24/02/2012 21:04:04
So then let's just extend the deadline until monday :D

That would be awesome! I hope it's not cheating if I use an old reference picture for the redraw?

I can post both the old picture (higher res and antialias) and the new one (pixellated AGS-appropriate look) for comparison too, if that's okay.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Puzzler

Hi everybody!

The more, the merrier.

Kinda crappy half-an-hour spill on the canvas, but there you go:

...and yeah now I realise it's not even a map, per se. Tried to do like a town center thing and forgot the assignment ten minutes in.

misj, gameboy and oraxon are my favourites so far.  :D

UPDATE: This next one took quite awhile. Couple of hours or so. Little bit different style.

WHAM

Sorry, my MAGS project has taken all my time and I won't be able to do the picture in time if I want to get the game done. :(
Sorry guys!

Kastchey

A map of an area within Catskill Mountains with the dreadful House Martense in the center.

Composition partially based on an incredibly charming picture of a real area (or so I read) within the mountain range.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk