Coloring Ball: Triptych - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Started by antipus, Sun 26/02/2012 22:31:00

Previous topic - Next topic

antipus

Triptych

A triptych is a work of art that is divided into three sections. Traditionally, this form was used a great deal in the middle ages for religious art like altarpieces and stained glass windows. The idea was that the three images side by side would tell a story or more fully illustrate some sort of principle, with the center of the idea in the center panel.

With that in mind, here's the shape to fill:

Some ideas to get you going:

- Three characters, or three aspects of a character (like fighter, magic user, thief)
- Connect something using the past, present, and future
- See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil
- The three most important or useful items in an adventure
- Icons representing the three best games of all time

Remember, the best things in life are three!

Submissions: Feb. 26 - Mar. 12
Voting: Mar. 13 - Mar. 20
Awards: Mar. 21

Edited Timetable
Scratch Our Heads During the Forum Blackout: Feb. 26 - Mar. 4
Submissions: Mar. 5 - Mar. 20
Voting: Mar. 21 - Mar. 28
Awards: Mar. 29
Playing Arden's Vale has been shown to improve morale, revive unconscious kittens, and reverse hair loss.

Darius Poyer

I made this:

I might try to do something with the background. For now I'm alright with this.

EDIT
new:

Tabata

... and here we go with the description
Spoiler
... that is needed because I bite off too much from the cake, couldn't come up with what I was really aiming for and gave up      :c
[close]
dawn/birth           ~           at high noon/life           ~           dusk/death
(strong, green tree at coast)   ~   (frozen tree in mist)   ~   (desert with burned tree)

edit:   Ooops!   I didn't copy/paste the text for this post yesterday, sorry!

Victor6

*spot reserved for when I get my act together*

Darius Poyer

Got an idea for another one.

Bottle + Gasoline = Molotov

selmiak

darius, your ideas are really great, just an idea for your small pixel artworks: the molotov should be burning imho and why not use a foetus on the left panel of your first one to symbolize birth death and life.

and here are 2(two) Pacmans fighting over the last powerpellet :D

Tabata

Hi, hi, hi,  Those yellow shapes are magic somehow!
Again a really good entry of this kind  -  superb idea!

DrWhite

Here's my entry: Waiting for a local train at an east-bavarian train station.

Selmiaks entry should be printed on t-shirts!

antipus

Fantastic entries so far!  We've only got about 24 hours left, so last call for entries!  Can't wait for Victor6 to get his act together as well.   ;D

We'll see how voting goes... Do they typically allow more than one entry per person? I think if any contest allows three entries, it should be this one. Interesting if Darius makes a clean sweep of it... Does anyone see why we shouldn't allow multiples? Should Darius pick his favorite to submit for voting? Or can each be voted for individually, but he'll just get the highest single trophy? Any ideas? I just don't know how I should run this when voting starts in a couple days...
Playing Arden's Vale has been shown to improve morale, revive unconscious kittens, and reverse hair loss.

Gilbert

Since you are the host of this game, you can have the liberty on deciding whether multiple entries are allowed and can choose any appropriate voting/winner-selecting method, as long as you are not abusing the activity. This in general applies to most activities here, that occasional bending of common rules are okay, except for the ones with more clear-cut rules, such as MAGS.

Darius Poyer

I don't mind either way.

But choosing one for voting sounds like the best solution.

(I would go with the Molotov)

antipus

In the grand tradition of indie games, I'm a day late or so in posting this. But without any further adieu, LET THE VOTING COMMENCE!

#1 Birth, Life, and Death by Tabata

#2 Bottle + Gasoline = Molotov by Darius

#3 Pac-Mans and Power Pellet by selmiak

#4 Waiting for a Local Train at an East-Bavarian Train Station by DrWhite

Thanks for all the great entries, especially from over-achiever Darius.  ;D  I personally really liked the "Civilization" one, but decided to go with one entry per person for the contest.  Voting will go until March 28 or afterwards if I'm late again.  :-\

selmiak

Tabata

My vote goes to selmiak for his superb idea with the fighting smilies pacmans  ;D

simplistic and very effective

Darius Poyer

I can't in good conscience place my vote on selmiak. The reason would be the lack of effort in its creation. I also find it lacking congruity towards the themes intention. I feel that Mrs. Packman and Packman opposing the pellet would be far more effective a theme, given the task.

I will vote for DrWhite.

Kimbra

#2 Bottle + Gasoline = Molotov by Darius  :=

DrWhite

I also vote for the molotov-triptych by Darius (though I liked Civilisation more).

antipus

So far it seems like we have a winner, but we've got a tie for second. I'll leave the voting up for a few more days, and see if someone else want to throw their two cents in.

Maybe that will give me time to come up with cooler trophies...   :P

NickyNyce

To maybe help move this along and get the next one started, I'll vote for Tabata

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk