Dreams - Pub Master Quest

Started by Icey, Wed 29/02/2012 04:01:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

At last I am finally able to release this small game! :D

Dreams
Pub master quest

[Story]
For years now Dave has sworn to ave those in harm from evil. However he is bout to come face to face with a a sick little girl stuck in coma. The Docters say that this is her last nigh and if she does not wake up then they must pull the plug. Dave knew he couldn't help her in the real world so he wen't to sleep in order to Dream Link into her mind. He found himself in a cold, barron world. He seen the sick sitting quitely in a chair. She stated that she is being held captive by Death and the only way for her to awaken is for thy savior to lose all memories to the Void and if thy can retrive them back & remember who they are before time runs out then they both will be able to return to the living world. However if thy is to fail then both of our souls belong to Death...Forever!

Dive into the Dream here

Gilbert

Please, at least put a download link in your post.

Khris

It's the floating welder from the 6 Days credits!

Nice cutscene game, riddled with "typos" though. (Grifiti...? Someone grifityed on the wall...?)
And why can't I even look at the other main character, let alone talk to her?
This is like a techdemo for a two button interface.

Save for the art, which is obviously an attempt to recreate 304's style, but not bad, this is an incredibly lazy game. That's really the only word that applies here. Lazy. From what I've seen, coding and writing this took half an hour, tops.

I don't get why you keep doing this. Why you keep killing your rep like this.

Icey

I checked for typos and nothing came up underlined red so I thought it was straight. I didn't wan't you to talk to the little girl for the simple fact that there wasn't much to talk about.

I'm telling you the only reason I released it is cause I thought all the problems was fixed.

WHAM

Maybe Icey meant this: http://www.grifiti.com/products  ::)

Quote from: Icey games on Wed 29/02/2012 11:10:19
I'm telling you the only reason I released it is cause I thought all the problems was fixed.

What about the problems called "this is not a game" and "there is little to no content here"? Those are pretty big ones in my mind...

And before you ask: "What do you mean it's not a game"
It's not a game because:
- There is no challenge, I could script a program to play and "win" this "game" in 10 minutes
- There are no real gameplay mechanics involved

"What do you mean there is no content"
- Player is given little to no context
- The story is a mere fragment of a story

Other things that grind my gears:
- I'm pretty sure you are still using ripped music that is licenced to someone else / to a corporation
- The "twinkle" object is next to impossible to click on accurately
- There is no proper end, the game just loops back to the start
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Monsieur OUXX

Icey, this is my FIFTH post telling you to beta-test your games, and every time before you promised you would (since you promised, I guess it doesn't make it arrogant to write what I just wrote).

Are you THAT stubborn, and craving for failure? Or do we just have to wait one more year for you to be  mature enough?
Then again it's just frustrating to see you transform every potential success into failure, just because of stubbornness.

WHAM

Quote from: veryweirdguy on Wed 29/02/2012 17:52:53
Does anyone have a walkthrough for this?

Spoiler

Left click on everything in no specific order. After that, right click on everything in no specific order. Repeat until game restarts.
[close]
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Ponch

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Wed 29/02/2012 12:42:52
Icey, this is my FIFTH post telling you to beta-test your games, and every time before you promised you would

To be fair to Icey, he did have this game beta tested. I gave it a spin Sunday evening. I sent him a short report and promised a list of typos I found would follow. I didn't get the list to him in time, I suppose. But it was tested... sort of.  :)

Icey

! big thing I must point out before I start my real post, This game I can admit is short and doesn't have a big way or challenge to getting to the end of the game. However I wanted to make another finding game that was short and simple. I wanted to get this game out here after I had it tested and fixed what I had thought needed to be fixed because I have a big animation project to do for school and I have to put AGS Colosseum on hold because it's a big grade and I need to use AGS for it.

Now on to the post.

@WHAM: I find it few people may think this isn't a game. However as the creator I know that it's a game. It stung together with not 1 but 3 characters,1 BG, Lot's of text, Nice art, Music, and a start and a end. I can't make music and I'm not gonna result to using music made by just random people cause I don't like the way it fits in my game. I make levels based off of 1 song that I am listening to as I make the level. This song maybe used in the game or composed by a composer if it's a bigger project. Each PMQ game released since the Release Something is nothing more than a spin-off quest of Pub Master Quest Legends. The only reason why know it's "like" a fragment of a story is because you already know there are more Pub Master Quest's.
Also WHAM if you think this game has no point and your way to advance for the game why don't you create a walkthrough for the game?

@Monsieur OUXX: I know it may seem like I don't listen at times but there are many people around here I choose to listen(one being you). And even though it may not seem like it I always listen to khris. It sometimes gets me upset but I still take it and find away to work with it.

@Ponch: It's not that I couldn't wait for you, It's just after you told me there were spelling errors I wen't on and edited what I seen wrong.

WHAM

Icey: I already wrote a walkthrough, check a few posts up. The "walkthrough" works, and if that works, it's not a game, it's just a simplified visual novel, and there is a slight difference there. Just having characters, backgrounds, story and music, and being able to walk around on the screen, does not a game make.

Victor6

I'm not sure I should even bother asking this but; Is there actually any gameplay present?

Backgrounds, characters, music, dialogue, a start and an end != a game. That's a cutscene.

WHAM

Quote from: Victor6 on Wed 29/02/2012 23:35:08
Is there actually any gameplay present?

After thoroughly testing this "game" I can verify that you CAN click on things and TEXT will happen! Sometimes even walking! Nothing more, nothing less.

LimpingFish

Icey, the errors in this effort are so staggering - "He seen the sick sitting quitely", "Save us from from fate ahead us" - that whomever was responsible for teaching you the basic fundamentals of reading and/or writing should be ashamed.

It's also hard to tell who is saying what, as all the text is the same colour.

It took me five minutes to play this "game". It took me another five minutes to rewrite and edit it so it actually makes sense:

Dreams - Rewritten and Edited to make Sense.

***Intro***

"Where there is Light, there must also be Dark. Where there is Life, there must also be death. And where there is Evil, there is...The Saviour. The Saviour is sworn to help those too weak to protect themselves against the forces of darkness. The Saviour...is Dave.

However, Dave is about to come face to face with a little girl trapped in a coma, a girl named Molly, a girl who's time is running out. If she doesn't wake up soon, the machines keeping her alive will be shut off.

Knowing he could be of no use to her in the real world, Dave, against the advice of Molly's doctor, has asked to be put into an artificially-induced coma in order to DREAMLINK into Molly's mind.

But in doing so, Dave has lost his memories. He has no idea who he is, and no idea how he came to be standing in this cold, barren world."

Dave: What's going on? Where am I? Who am I?!

Molly: We are...trapped.

Death: This is my domain, human. No one can help you now. The girl is mine, and soon you both shall be consumed in darkness...forever!

(He fades away)

Molly: No. There is hope. The Saviour. You must remember. Your mind lies fragmented in this world. Remember. Only your memories can free our souls.

Dave: My...memories?

Molly: Remember.

Dave: I'll...try.

***Interactions***

Right click the Sign:

"The light from the sign seems insignificant, and out of place."

Dave: Pub? I know that word. Didn't my brother...Chris?...work in a- Yes! A pub! And I worked there too! I remember!"

Molly: "Remember."

Right-click on Graffiti:

"Though the paint may be fading, the letters are still legible."

Dave: PMQ? I...I've seen those letters before. I remember journeys. Journeys with friends. Quests! Pub Master Quests! I remember!"

Right-click on the Sparkle:

"Something sparkles in the bushes. A small glowing sphere."

Dave: Holding it in my hand makes me feel...warmer, somehow. I remember...a name. Muffy! I owe you so much. You saved my life with a sphere just like this! I remember!"

Right click on the Tree:

Someone has carved a heart into the trunk of this tree.

Dave: "D+T FOREVER". Did I do that? Is the "T"...Tifa? It is! I promised I would be with her always. I remember!

***Once all memories have been found***

Molly: Dave.

Dave: "I remember! Molly! I'm here to rescue you! We've got to get out of here! You have to wake up."

(Fade to white)

Molly: Saviour.

***Outro***

Dave awakens. He looks over at Molly, still asleep in the bed next to his.

Dave: Molly?

He feels a hand on his shoulder, and looks up into the face of the doctor standing beside him.

Doctor: I'm sorry.

Dave: No! I saved her! I know I did! She just...needs more time!"

As the doctor moves to shut off Molly's life-support, a small voice croaks:

MOLLY: Dave. Thank you.

(Fade to white)

***END***

It's still not a game, or particularity well written, but at least it doesn't read like a brain hemorrhage. If you want to use this version, Icey, then feel free to do so. If I must be credited, then I ask that I be credited only as Alan Smithee. Or you could just look at how I've written it (again, not in a way that's particularly special), how I tried to make a clear distinction between narrative and dialog so as to prevent confusing the player, and rework your own writing in a similar way.

I'll leave this thread open for now, but if we start going in the same old (oh, so very old!) circles, I'll be forced to drop a lock-block.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

I will fix it up and credit you.

I just think next time I might ask one of my friends to test it and proof read it and let me know what you think cause I think me going in alone isn't going to work unless I like type it in something like Word then add it to the game....Why didn't I ever think to do that before.

Baron

Quote from: Icey games on Wed 29/02/2012 04:01:32
He found himself in a cold, barron world

It's always cold in Baron World......

Anian

And again, it's hard for people to even download the game when they see in your posts that you really don't care about polish or even some basic double checking of your work, like reading what you actually wrote.
I've said this before, but what I wanted to say is that you inspired me to actually commit to a game in AGS, since somebody who barely makes coherent sentences can write code for AGS, surley I can as well. So thank you for that.

Quote from: LimpingFish on Wed 29/02/2012 23:49:56
Icey, the errors in this effort are so staggering - "He seen the sick sitting quitely", "Save us from from fate ahead us" - that whomever was responsible for teaching you the basic fundamentals of reading and/or writing should be ashamed.
Ashamed? No way, I was thinking more of a public mauling with a dicitionary.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Icey

I didn't mean to attack Poland, I was trying to say empty. I could have sworn the way you spell it was baron or barron. oh and your welcome....I think.

wisnoskij

Harsh much?

But, spell checkers are a necessity as far as I am concerned and one would of spotted most of these errors.

It is spelled "Barren"

Games do not need challenge to be games, freeware games do not need to be released in a polished state, stories do not have to be fully explained and complete.

Icey

I guess the big reason why I skipped over the big misspelled words and repeated words in such is because I already knew the story and cause I wrote it.

Quote from: wisnoskij on Sun 04/03/2012 15:32:44
Games do not need challenge to be games, freeware games do not need to be released in a polished state, stories do not have to be fully explained and complete.

Thank you for pointing that, Truth be told the only challenge is finding the 4 pieces of his memory. It's of course not that hard but you have to use some brain power to go around the room looking. Even if it's just 1% it's still brain power.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk