Background Blitz -- WINNER ANNOUNCED (again ;) )-- Plant/House (kinda)

Started by Misj', Sun 04/03/2012 22:01:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

PLANT/HOUSE (kinda)

Backstory:
As you probably all know, there's this girl/guy who has the power to shape plants to his/her will (by magic? - using a machine? - alien technology? - I don't know). So what do you do if you have that kind of power? - You build yourself a home made entirely out of living plants (ok, you can use other materials as well, as long as it makes sense, they are not 'reshaped', and plants are the main element).

So, what does this home/house/lair/dwelling/spaceship look look? - Any genre goes...

Restriction:
Anything that fits with AGS (and you might want to start thinking about using the color green)

Voting:
Starts the 21th of March. I will not vote myself unless there is a tie (but participants are encouraged to vote).

categories:
Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.
Personality: I added this category specifically for this Blitz. Since the background in man-made it should reflect the personality for the character who created it (is he/she evil, childish, creepy, weird...etc). How well does the background reflect a certain personality?

Have fun, be creative, and remember: plants are people too!  ;)

Prozail

I usually don't join in on this stuff (mostly just lurking), but I'll give it a shot for once :p

nihilyst

At first Nate Shure thought it to be a good idea living in a self-made freestyle house high in a treetop. I mean, he still had 900+ tv stations on his 50 inch flatscreen tv. But soon the postman cursed him for installing the mailbox in such heights, he realized that the nature-style shower didn't magically refill by itself, and every time he went to bed he wondered how he had passed the safety regulations in the first place.

2x

I might update on this before deadline, but I'm not sure if I can spare the time.

cheer
nihilyst

Armageddon

That's awesome nihilyst. Will the blue couch become the new blue cup? ::)

mode7

I wanted to join the background blitz for a long time now. Finally made it. Not quite finished and still quite loose but it's the best I can do with the time I can currently spare.

It's supposed to be some kind of wooden cathedral, a shrine of a ancient pagan religion.

Andail

Lovely use of colours and depth there, mode7 :) Really nice atmosphere.

Misj'

Nice entries guys!

If anyone is still working on something but needs an extension...please tell me (I love extensions)

Mouth for war

Well...not the winning background for sure but I thought I could add one to the contest anyway :D

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Misj'

Let's vote :)

categories:
Idea: Was it an original/creative interpretation of the theme?
Atmosphere: Was an interesting world created? - Did the scene evoke a feeling?
Design: How well the individual elements are designed, from clouds to doorknobs.
Composition: How well the elements are combined to create a pleasing whole, and lead the viewer to the points of interest.
Functionality: How well it would work as a background, with clearly defined entries and walkable areas, as well as a good viewing angle (this also includes introductionary shots of an area as long as a player character can be present in the scene).
Technique: How well it's rendered (within the chosen style!), in no way meaning the more elaborate the better.
Personality: I added this category specifically for this Blitz. Since the background in man-made it should reflect the personality for the character who created it (is he/she evil, childish, creepy, weird...etc). How well does the background reflect a certain personality?

Tabata

Idea: nihilyst
Atmosphere: mode7
Design: nihilyst
Composition: mode7
Functionality: nihilyst
Technique: nihilyst
Personality: mode7

Misj'

So....no one else is going to vote? - While I, of course, trust Tabata's opinion complicitly, I will wait one more day to close the voting just in case someone else wants to have a say.

Daniel Thomas

Idea: mode7
Atmosphere: mode7 (nihilyst close runner up)
Design: mode7
Functionality: nihilyst (I think all of them are functional)
Technique: mode7 (nihilyst close runner up)
Personality: nihilyst (mouth of war close runner up)

Code: ags

[b]Idea:[/b]
[b]Atmosphere:[/b]
[b]Design:[/b]
[b]Composition:[/b]
[b]Functionality:[/b]
[b]Technique:[/b]
[b]Personality:[/b]
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Lad

I will give my votes then.

Idea: mode7
Design: nihilyst
Personality: nihilyst

Choosing the technique was the hardest for me, but I managed to make up my mind on that somehow.

selmiak

Idea: nihilyst
Design: Mouth for war
Personality: Mouth for war

Misj'

Voting is closed...and after some extremely complex algorithms (read: there were more points than fingers) nihilyst was determined the winner.

Everyone, thanks for joining, and take it away, Nihilyst.

nihilyst

Strangely, with the algorithm I used, it's a tie between mode7 and me oO

Misj'

Quote from: nihilyst on Tue 27/03/2012 15:10:27
Strangely, with the algorithm I used, it's a tie between mode7 and me oO

Jikes, you're right (Math has never been my thing...I thought you came in one point more than mode7)...Hmmm...that means I have to do an executive vote where I'll vote in all the categories but only between the two of you (the reason why I hadn't voted yet was in case of a tie; and with 7 categories this should work)...

Idea: Mode7, I love the way the trees create a structure while still retaining their tree-nature. Nihilyst, your background has a nice combination of 'modified-nature' and man-made additions (like the TV)...I just feel that in some cases the man-made overshadowed the nature. Vote: Mode7
Atmosphere: Mode7, it's gloomy, shadowy, and kind of creepy (I wouldn't want to be part of the religion that created this cathedral). Nihilyst, it's a desolate but fun place to be. Both have a clear atmosphere, but today I'm siding with the happy world. Vote: Nihilyst.
Design: Mode7, the image feels both finished and in it's rough stages, and I like that a lot about it...on the other hand, I do feel the roughness does take away a bit from the design. Nihilyst, each element has gotten a good amount of treatment, although the leafs at the top seem to be added in a rush. Vote: Nihilyst
Composition: Mode7, there is depth, your eye is moved nicely towards the location of the altar, light is used in a great way to enhance the composition. Everything in the image is placed in light of that. Nihilyst, there is a lot going on in the image, and everything is laid out clearly. However, composition-wise there are too many focus-points. Vote: Mode7
Functionality: Mode7, the piece works great to set the mood, or to determine the location. On the other hand...gameplay wise there is little going on. Nihilyst, the piece has clear exits, a well defined walking area, and a lot of things to do. Vote: Nihilyst
Technique: Mode7, there is a lot of great technique in this piece, and a lot of thought went into it (and it made the image so much better). On the other hand, it also feels sketchy and unfinished. Nihilyst, as so often with your style...it's so not me. I would never have chosen it...but it works, and it works great. Vote: Nihilyst
Personality: Mode7, when I see this place I am pretty sure what kind of monk will greet me, and that there are some skeletons in the closet. It's not evil, just a bit unsettling. Nihilyst, I thought a long time about the character that lives here, and to be honest, I'm still not sure...in a game it could be both the nice protagonist or some crazy guy. Vote: Mode7

To be honest, I like Mode7's piece more than Nihilyst's...it's closer to my heart (and closer to what I had in mind when I created this Blitz). But I tried to look at each category as objectively as possible, and it turned out that despite my awful math, Nihilyst, you're still the winner.

nihilyst

Gilbert

Congratulations to nihilyst for becoming a Grand Slam Winner! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk