Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicky

Stop posting about DLC, unless you want a job at EA...

Icey

Noted, but does EA talk about DLC a lot?

LimpingFish

Dig, Icey, dig! You'll pop out the other side of the world soon enough!

But I can help you salvage your project:

1: Forget about AGS Colosseum. Remove all AGS characters. You were never going to use them in any meaningful way, and it was really just an excuse to have "established" people spuriously associated with your project. Now that those people have been burned, the chances of them letting you use their characters at all are almost nil. Let it go.

2: Create a new cast of characters. Your own characters. There's so many Square-Enix archetypes left to choose from. Tetsuya Nomura is churning them out almost daily! You can too!

3: Rename the game "Pub Colosseum", or something similar. It'll basically be the same game as AGS Colosseum, so all your work won't have gone to waste.

Outcome: Problem solved. Nobody is upset, and you can do whatever you want with your game.

But you may have crossed the line once too often at this point.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

I was going to use theme in a great way. especially Fio, she was supposed to help guide Dave to the next world. As he was about to die from a fierce snow storm. Part of the idea came from Polar express with the ghost dude. But I think may just go with that cause and I'm sorry Ponch but just Prick won't work at. Sure there have been a few drop outs but most of the contributors has made no effort to PM/replying about the situation. Maybe if you'd still let me I can use him as free DLC.

Eric

Quote from: Icey games on Mon 12/03/2012 00:08:38Part of the idea came from Polar express with the ghost dude.

There's another part of that movie that I really liked, the part where the train has gone too quickly, wrecked, and is skating sideways on thin ice that's cracking underneath it. But in this case, the engineer, by proceeding cautiously and heeding the advice of others, is able to get it on track again. Great scene in that movie.

Ghost

Look, it seems you are more than a bit out of your depths here. If you really think that a game isn't commercial just because you are going to spend the money ON THE GAME itself (and not on fastfood), and if you think that a free game with DLC that costs money is absolutely free, you miss some points. You say you need to pay someone to polish up aspects of your game. Can you be sure AGSC will raise enough to pay these people back, because you'd better be- you will have to pay those people in advance! When you don't even understand what you are up to, you are on shaky ground. And as stupid as it sounds, before a game makes you any money you will always have to put money into it. Money makes things complicated, I can not say for sure how your plans will look like next week, and that is reason enough for me to repeat: I'm a freeware fan, get me out of here!

To get the sound thing straight, that is a totally different thing than using a character. You asked for sound effects because, as you put it, you have trouble finding suitable stuff. Like many people I have a lot of freeware stuff on my disk; me sharing these files with you is absolutely no issue- you could get the same files by patient googling/owning the same freeware pools. That doesn't even need credit, since none of these files were made by me.  ;) I still need that list you mentioned, though.

LimpingFish

You're not paying attention, Icey.

I'm not asking you to wait and see if people are still on board. I'm actively urging you to pro-actively remove all traces of AGS, and characters that aren't your own, from your game. Not everybody has pulled their stuff from your game, but they will eventually want to distance themselves from the project if you keep talking about dlc and such.

Best to just cut your loses now, before things turn nasty.

Let me make one thing clear, though. Nothing, and I mean nothing, you say can swing people to your point of view. The more you try to explain the situation (and I'm sure to you it makes sense), the more tensions you create.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Victor6

Didn't we all establish months and months and months ago that DLC for AGS was pretty much a non-starter? Or did I miss something vital regarding changes to the way AGS handles sprites\rooms?

- Except when it's something that you've coded into the original in advance and held back until a later date for some stupid reason (such as: you want to say that your game has DLC).

It does strike me that something like AGSC, that uses assets from soo many people, would be far better handled in a swarm development style;

One person writes the battle engine, everyone else provides their character resources (art, dialogue, sound). that way no-one's in complete control of the plot, or the representation of character designs that they do not own. If Icey's character wants to have an emo moment, another persons character could just slap him, or provide a sarcastic commentary.

Once the game is done, you can release the code as open source (with paceholders to replace protected characters), and we might get a few less 'how do I do this RPG like thing in AGS?' threads in the tech forums too.

Icey

@eric: That was another good part. But the part were he asked if he had believed in ghost is the part I was supposed ti be using.

@Ghost: Well put, I guess I'm just a bit in over my head as I don't really know how to keep control over the money thing I guess I was hopping it all works out and steam kept control over the stuff. Also thanks for still helping me with sound effects side.

@LFish: Ok, I will remove every bit of AGS references. I'm probably gonna need a test for that part but we will see.

@Victor6: I don't really release sources not only cause I put the effort into my designs plus my code can be really messy and only I end up being the one who understands it unless I ask for help with "broken code".

But I think I will make a simple open source game that will show how to make a "Icey styled" RPG. I will also record as I go so I can post a step by step on Youtube.

Maybe I will start a swarm thing up with OSD later, It's easier but it might be rather pointless.

Victor6

Quote from: Icey games on Mon 12/03/2012 00:49:50
@Victor6: I don't really release sources not only cause I put the effort into my designs plus my code can be really messy and only I end up being the one who understands it unless I ask for help with "broken code".

FFS. Icey, nobody wants your source code. nobody wants you to do a 'helpful tutorial' or a 'how to' youtube video, because as recent events have proven; Your 'help' is frequently counterproductive or downright wrong.

IF something like AGSC was created in a swarm like way, then;- The entire project would be a group effort

You would only have control over the parts of AGSC that you directly contribute, and since you can't code without making loads of basic errors, you'd probably end up adding 0 lines of code (possibly a negative value, since someone would end up spending their time fixing your mistakes).

Icey

So what was just suggesting back there?

Construed

Quote from: Eric on Mon 12/03/2012 00:20:07
Quote from: Icey games on Mon 12/03/2012 00:08:38Part of the idea came from Polar express with the ghost dude.

There's another part of that movie that I really liked, the part where the train has gone too quickly, wrecked, and is skating sideways on thin ice that's cracking underneath it. But in this case, the engineer, by proceeding cautiously and heeding the advice of others, is able to get it on track again. Great scene in that movie.

Icy, I think what he's  trying to say is you should take Limping fishes advice, which I agree would be the best path for you to choose at this time.
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Icey

Oh well if thats the case it will then I had already agreed to what LFish said and it only took me less then a minute to come up with a new story. P.S. anyone who thinks it should take me more time obviously doesn't know me.

WHAM

Oh I find it very-VERY easy to believe you can come up with a story in under a minute, judging by what I've seen so far.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Construed

Quote from: Icey games on Mon 12/03/2012 01:52:27
Oh well if thats the case it will then I had already agreed to what LFish said and it only took me less then a minute to come up with a new story. P.S. anyone who thinks it should take me more time obviously doesn't know me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F9gRzmCf1EI
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes.
Then I met the man with no feet.

Icey

Oh WHAM you are too funny, got love your humor man. Any how my stories a great but I lack the skilss in game (not quality) to show'em.  The onl game so far that had a great story and physics to show it was AGSC.

Icey

Here is an example, My friend ask me to make a game for him when I got the chance. He told me a bit about his characters and his thoughts on the game and from there one late night I just tho
ught about a story for him in 2 min and came up with this. However it has been esited a few times now.

Forget about the grammer right, just try to read the story cause if other people can understand it I'm pretty sure you can.

My Demons Shadow

[Created by David Rankins -Developed by Studio3] Leon and his brother were very close as kids. One day Leons brother was jumped by some gang members over so money he owed. With no one else to turn to he pleeded to the Shogin Crystal for the Strength and abilities to take on the gang. So over raged by his defeat, he seeked out the core base of the gang and tried to take them all on with his new powers. But he was still to weak and he failed yet again however this would be the last time he ever walked the grounds of this world. Leon in seek of revenge for the lost of his brother confronted the Shogin Crystal just as his brother did. However he was rejected as he possesed a growing connection to Darkness. Leon soon came to beleive that the gods and Shogin crystal was a bunch of Bullshit. A few days later Leon's Anger grew so much tha the sky be came red and time it self stopped. Before him rose a Colossus Demon like figure! It raised it's gaint hand and drp[ed it on Leon thus sucking him into the Void.Trapped there, Alone, Begging to be freed from this dark place as he would do anything. Soon a firey light glissend before him and out of it came Chaos(Devil). He offered Leon freedom and the power to get the revenge he trully desired. So Leon accepted his offer and down into the underworld they went. The Warrior of eternal Darkness shall desend down seeking the ever lasting Divine powers of Chaos. He bears the berdon of the Dark Rulers plea in order to release thye brother for the enternal Slumber. Chaos to Leon -Leon must use the power of Chaos and kill anyone who stands in his way and release their souls into the pits of hell were they belong. As this is the only way to pay of his debt to Chaos and save his brother for the everlast sleep. Later in the game you meet a man named Tetsuga.

Anian

So what you're saying is you came up with basically the origin story of Spawn (among other things)? Not to mention that that isn't really a game story, that is a begining intro into the game perhaps...

Btw I'm not sure Wham was kiddding as I kind of agree with him.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

WHAM

If that is your idea of an origina and interesting story then so be it. Good for you and all that. I could show you one of my game design docs to give you an idea of how much work I put into my projects both when designing the story and graphics as well as when designing the gameplay mechanics and elements, but I fear you would either call it crap out of spite or blatantly steal stuff.  ;D

On that note, maybe I should start releasing design docs of games that I've done in the past... That might actually be an interesting idea and give new light and more feedback on older projects.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Andail

The talk & chat forum is not for promoting your own projects.

Please start a proper GiP thread in the designated board.

If you want to launch a communal game project, that's one thing, but this seems to mostly be about you taking advantage of renowned characters and concepts to generate hype.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk