Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

UPDATE April 22/12

QR quest - Scan the codes with your phone to reach victory!!!

Dave has all his memories back now however he is still trapped in dream. For some reason a problem in his dreams are preventing him from seeing color. Help him get fix his vision problem and escape the dream world with the power of your phone in real life!

Note: must have a QR scanning program installed on your phone.

Note: If you don't have a phone you can still get the QR links in the Txt file in the game folder.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?category=&action=detail&id=1569&refresh1335127308

Hudders

I played it. It's a bit rough around the edges.

Have you ever made a game that wasn't related to your ongoing PMQ saga? Something with wholly original characters, not ones inspired by Square-Enix properties? I'm genuinely curious.

Icey

Humm...that's a good question. I don't think so. If it's not OSD, PMQ, or SE I don't there's a game I made were the player character isn't someone from PMQ. But I think this mostly applies to the reason that each game I make takes place in the PMQ world or like most PMQ spin-off's in the Dream world.

Gear Blade takes place the PMQ world but does not feature the main cast of PMQ(Dave, Tifa, Christen. or Muffy).

Icey

UPDATE April 27/12

At last I have sorta 99% finished Tifa's Ballad. It's not rushed for re;ease by me but my teacher.

Download

Tifa's Ballad is a Movie project for one of my classes. My Teacher is bugging me about give the stuff I will have the update the version of the Movie out tomorrow.

The Movie is about the back story of Tifany Lotus making here way into the PMQ series.

*The Update just adds the end credits.

Corby

Icey, dude, well done! I think you found your calling. Graphics and animations are very nice and I actually got immersed in the story. Certainly your best work to date.

Comments:

-Might be time to consider trying some "up" and "down" walkcycles.
-Is a "pub" something different in Final Fantasy? I've never played a single one. They seem the equivalent to Starbucks.
-I was half expecting Tifa to whip out some kind of giant unwieldy sword at that dance.

Icey

Thanks dude. I really put a lot of work than I wanted in this but it's good to see people like it.

I did feel like some of the scenes were too long due to walking speeds.

The Pub in PMQ is 50% like the ones seen in Final Fantasy. You get quest, eat, drink, chat, etc. But I wanted a more modern Pub so that may be why it seem like Starbucks. ;)

I can admit their is no action cause I wanted the ill minded high school kids to see it as a sorta High school love movie. However...
Spoiler

I plan to release a more completed version of the movie, it will have extra scenes, more music, and some action. It wont be coming out no time soon cause I got a few other small games to finish but in the end, all these games will bridge the gap that connects Pub master quest legends to Pub master quest Colosseum.

[close]

straydogstrut

It turned out great Icey! I still see some grammatical errors but overall it's a cohesive story. Well done! I hope your teacher is pleased :grin:

Icey

Thanks I'm glad you liked it, some words might just be due to slang but still it wouldn't hurt to check.

Andail

Quote from: Corby on Fri 27/04/2012 11:11:39
Graphics and animations are very nice

Not to be a dick, but what animations? The only movement I saw was the main character's walk cycle, and that was really lacking, frankly.

I really suggest using flash or something for creating movies.  I don't know how necessary it is to use AGS for this, in fact it's a bit frustrating when you can't pause or resume the movie. I watched until the school scene, but was interrupted and couldn't be arsed to watch the whole thing again.

It's great that you have actually put something coherent together, but some parts really felt unfinished. Like how you re-used the same sprite over and over again, even zooming in on it (creating a horribly blocky pixelfest) for the close-up.

Corby

QuoteNot to be a dick, but what animations?

I meant the various lighting effects/things moving about. I guess those are not technically animations if they're just one sprite.

Icey

Quote from: Andail on Sat 28/04/2012 10:05:00
Quote from: Corby on Fri 27/04/2012 11:11:39
Graphics and animations are very nice

Not to be a dick, but what animations? The only movement I saw was the main character's walk cycle, and that was really lacking, frankly.

I really suggest using flash or something for creating movies.  I don't know how necessary it is to use AGS for this, in fact it's a bit frustrating when you can't pause or resume the movie. I watched until the school scene, but was interrupted and couldn't be arsed to watch the whole thing again.

It's great that you have actually put something coherent together, but some parts really felt unfinished. Like how you re-used the same sprite over and over again, even zooming in on it (creating a horribly blocky pixelfest) for the close-up.

True true, see it's school project and I really didn't care much about it cause I knew I was the only in the class capable of pulling this off. However it had to do with PMQ so I did try my best just not full best. I got board and after a while I just wanted to quit the whole thing but I couldn't cause their was a dead line. However there is no dead for AGS so I plan to fix up a lot of things and new things to that movie like voice acting and stuff. Just don't look forward to it for quite some time ;)

Sane Co.

You should before you come out with any more games, go through your game collection, and what the ags community has to say about them, fix those up, and then re-release them. I've found that one doesn't learn if they don't correct their mistakes.

Hudders

My chief complaint is that he never creates anything original. So I don't know how re-releasing his old games will solve that.  :-X

Icey

Quote from: Sane Co. on Mon 30/04/2012 17:40:35
You should before you come out with any more games, go through your game collection, and what the ags community has to say about them, fix those up, and then re-release them. I've found that one doesn't learn if they don't correct their mistakes.

Most of my older games are lost due to hard drive crashes, But I do plan to remake one of my older games which I still have the files for.

Quote from: Hudders on Mon 30/04/2012 21:31:49
My chief complaint is that he never creates anything original. So I don't know how re-releasing his old games will solve that.  :-X

All PMQ games are original. They we're just inspired by Final Fantasy which my friend does not mean that PMQ is not original. Their are plenty of good and bad games out their that was inspired by other things, does this mean they are not original? if not then if I make something "original" will you treat it differently than you do PMQ or would you like a few others crit it by calling each game a rip off of FF?

I can come out with something different anytime I want to. Right now I'm too busy with school and trying to connect the story of PMQ legends with the story of PMQ Colosseum.

Hudders

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Tue 01/05/2012 02:12:42
if I make something "original" will you treat it differently than you do PMQ or would you like a few others crit it by calling each game a rip off of FF?

Definitely!

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Tue 01/05/2012 02:12:42
I can come out with something different anytime I want to.

Well, now you sound like an addict...

Seriously though, Icey, I don't mean to bash you. I think you have a lot of talent and you are capable of making something truly amazing, but you're being held back by the crazy way you cling to FF's coat-tails. Think about Hironobu Sakaguchi for a moment - do you think that Final Fantasy would have been the success it is today if he'd made it as a knock-off of some other RPG franchise? If PMQ was wholly original, taking place in a completely original world devised by you, I totally believe that it would be something special.

Andail

The problem is that you're completely obsessed with various phrases, abbreviations and concepts that you find epic-sounding, but few others can relate to.
When I read this thread all I see is fluff. Fluff with references to more fluff.
We want more substance, Icey.

Snarky

You know, I think people should listen to criticism but ultimately make the games they want to make. If Final Fantasy knockoffs is your thing, whatever. That's your passion. There's one thing I find incredibly exasperating, though:

Quote from: Insane-Icey on Sat 28/04/2012 17:35:20
True true, see it's school project and I really didn't care much about it cause I knew I was the only in the class capable of pulling this off. However it had to do with PMQ so I did try my best just not full best. I got board and after a while I just wanted to quit the whole thing but I couldn't cause their was a dead line.

This is always your problem! You never really finish anything off, you just get bored, and distracted by the next idea you have. You were forced to actually complete this because of school, and sure enough it's being received better than anything else you've done to date, even if you didn't give it your all. If you could just focus on one thing at a time, and put in the effort to deliver it in a polished state, imagine how much better it would be.

Whenever you have some new thing you want to do, it doesn't matter whether it's a good idea in principle or not. It's automatically a bad idea FOR YOU since it's going to mean that you drop whatever you're working on at the moment... but you're never going to actually finish off the new thing, either, because you'll get bored with that too, and long before you're finished you'll have jumped to something else. And you end up with a series of half-completed or shoddily finished "games" as a catalog of things that were a passing obsession for a while before you lost interest.

Like you, I have a hard time keeping up my motivation for any one project for long enough to actually finish it. (Spare time is also a factor, but that probably applies to all successful game makers too, so it's no excuse.) But I know this about myself; that's why I've never made a games in production thread. Either get some self-discipline, or stop talking about things that will almost certainly never see the light of day.

Icey

It's not that I lose interest, what is, is that I just get some many new ideas and something in me just pushes my current stuff aside and just wants to move on for a bit. A lot of those ideas were for games that are not PMQ related.
But it's true about this school project. If it wasn't for a grade I would have just gave up on it cause I couldn't move back to something else already in production. I just got to find a way to force myself to work on one game at a time.

QuoteThe problem is that you're completely obsessed with various phrases, abbreviations and concepts that you find epic-sounding, but few others can relate to.
When I read this thread all I see is fluff. Fluff with references to more fluff.
We want more substance, Icey.

I guess I just have to find a better way to get things done so I can express things better. In my mind I can see everything in my games but I got to finish the stuff before saying all this stuff that I see as epic.

Ghost

Quote from: Noctis on Wed 02/05/2012 05:23:45It's not that I lose interest, what is, is that I just get some many new ideas and something in me just pushes my current stuff aside and just wants to move on for a bit.

http://ghostglimpse.blogspot.de/2011/06/why-games-arent-made.html

The "comments" section has some valueble feedback on that matter.

Icey

Thanks Ghost, I'll check it out.

I should also announce I'm gonna enter the May Mags with a completely new game. It's not a PMQ game either.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk