Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

LimpingFish

Quote from: Noctis on Tue 08/05/2012 22:05:07
It's not a PMQ game either.

But I bet it's still an FF derivative, though! (nod)

You've really only ever had the one idea; you just express it in various guises. That's not an inherently bad thing, if the core idea is interesting or worthy of multiple interpretations.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

Well here is the thing. In PMQ there are two worlds. One is the spin-off of the original PMQ series(PMQ1,2 etc) which is filled with a lot of FF stuff such as Gil, chocobos, moogles and stuff. The only 3 games that doesn't have FF refs is Gear Blade,Shard Hunters, and PMQ Colosseum because if I do plan to give it to steam I don't plan on getting sued due to something so small. Now the original series has zero FF refs but share a lot of similarities with the spin-off series.

All games such as tifa's ballad, PMQ.legends, etc fall into the spin-off category. Now the to keep in mind is that even though they fall under the same category it doesn't mean the revolve around each other. They are all in the same giant world and takes place in the different times....I feel like I'm just babbling.

Here it is quick and easy.

Senpah = world for all PMQ games
Senpah(Spin-off) = world for all PMQ Legends games + others(OSD, Gear Blade, Shard Hunters)

Shard Hunters is yes a game in the PMQ spin-off world but is not a PMQ game at all. Trust me on this cause my OSD games take place in the PMQ spin-off world but is also not a PMQ game.

I don't know if this is relevant to what you were saying but I thought it might clear up a lot of how my stuff works.

Oh btw, not only is there no FF refs but there is no PMQ refs either.

Eric

Quote from: LimpingFish on Tue 08/05/2012 22:59:04
But I bet it's still an FF derivative, though! (nod)

Perhaps apropos of nothing, but when I was 17, I was in a band that was, essentially, a Weezer cover band. Now, over a decade later, my tastes have changed greatly, and my musical repertoire has expanded tenfold, and I cringe when I listen to some of the songs I wrote / played. However, at 17, playing in that semi-Weezer cover band was the most fun thing I could imagine doing, and I loved the hell out of doing it.

Sane Co.

Icey.
I have one complaint. Can you please stop changing your name? It drives me crazy!

Stupot

Quote from: Sane Co. on Wed 09/05/2012 04:31:32
Icey.
I have one complaint. Can you please stop changing your name? It drives me crazy!
Yeah, especially now that we can't hover over someone's nickname to see their original login name anymore.

Ponch

Quote from: Stupot+ on Wed 09/05/2012 05:53:52
Yeah, especially now that we can't hover over someone's nickname to see their original login name anymore.

This coming from Stupot+ ... a man formerly known as Stupot. I can't tell who you're supposed to be anymore, Stu!

Talk about hypocrisy!  (laugh)

Hudders

If Icey produced anything that wasn't FF derived, I would be so shocked as to fall out of my chair.

I wonder if we should start a Kickstarter project to motivate him.

Ghost

Quote from: Hudders on Wed 09/05/2012 09:43:58
If Icey produced anything that wasn't FF derived, I would be so shocked as to fall out of my chair.

Now I will think about a waffle falling out of a chair while listening to (apparently awesome) music ALL DAY.

Thank you, overly-large music-enjoying waffle-man!

Icey

I think my problem or maybe not a problem is that I have grown so attached to FF and PMQ that it's hard to leave the Fantasy and move on to something brand new. I can come up with so many awesome ideas but I find them stuck in the same world just at different time periods and stuff. I don't see it as much of a problem though cause I mean it's the story that matters to alot of peoples. But one day I will be able to come up with a new world full of absolutely new things.

Khris

How difficult is it to change a few haircuts?

Seriously though, all your awesome ideas are stuck in a universe where people get quests in a pub and fight monsters? How difficult can it be to come up with something else? Maybe you should leave the house more.

Icey

Humm well when you put it like that it's not so hard, even though there are games that take place in the world such as OSD,GB. They do not actually follow the whole getting a quest from the pub thing. They're more of a straight forward type games.

Ghost

When you want to change something, reverse it: People could meet in a monster and then decide to fight pubs.

I think that would be pretty cool, actually, in a "parody" sort of style. Pubs could have super-moves like "on the house", and the heroes would fight with breadsticks and wear beer towels as capes.

Bogdan

Quote from: Ghost on Thu 10/05/2012 22:18:32
When you want to change something, reverse it: People could meet in a monster and then decide to fight pubs.

How about reverse of that reverse:
Pubs could meet in a monster and then decide to fight people!!!
xD

DoorKnobHandle

How about monsters meet in a person and decide to fight a pub?

Hudders

I think it would be amazing if Icey made a game from a monster's perspective. Kind of like a latter day Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Icey

Oooh that sounds nice, and I know I could do that....just not now though but maybe soon.

Omega Monster quest

LimpingFish

I can see where Icey is coming from. I love horror-themed games. Silent Hill, Project Zero, anything concerning half-glimpsed creatures gibbering in fog and shadows. A lot of this love plays a direct influence in the games I put out. But it's an atmosphere, rather than a signature, that I'm attempting to invoke, and I think this is where Icey runs into trouble.

Icey, whose love for Square Enix is apparent, and not something he should be belittled for, is making off-brand Final Fantasy games, right down to the Moogles, haircuts, and giant weapons. He's attempting to replicate a signature, rather than taking a broader influence from what inspires him. He's also totally earnest in his desire to create this type of game. To him, Dave or Oceanspirit Dennis are just as valid a hero as Squall or Cloud, because they look and act like them. PMQ is as valid a universe for similar reasons. He's not interested in parody. He wants people to feel the epic nature of his stories; the same way he felt when he played Final Fantasy VII or The World Ends With You. The problem is that he thinks it's crystals and summons and Tetsuya Nomura that made these games epic. He's blinded by this, which is why they all feature in his output.

Far be it from me to tell him to stop, though. He's entitled to make whatever he wants. And if he ever makes a playable, finished*, game, then, regardless of it's trappings, I'll be the first to say well done.

*Not Icey's particular brand of "finished", which is thoroughly documented.

Quote from: Noctis on Fri 11/05/2012 00:13:51
Oooh that sounds nice, and I know I could do that....just not now though but maybe soon.

Icey, you are being trolled. Please learn to recognize this. It will make things go a lot smoother. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Icey

That's well put. It's sorta what I tried to point out a while ago however you pin pointed things I couldn't see.

That my another problem I have, I can't see when people are trolling me :(...I thought I asked you guys to stop that.

Eric

Quote from: Hudders on Thu 10/05/2012 22:34:37
I think it would be amazing if Icey made a game from a monster's perspective. Kind of like a latter day Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.

Regardless of the intent of trolling in the suggestion, I'd play this if it even aspired to a level of Stoppardness.

Ryan Timothy B

Somewhat speaking of RPG games, has anyone played the Zenonia games on the Android or iPod? I've only played a couple hours of the first game and honestly, I have no idea what's going on. Something about his dad dying from a demon and he has to go on a mysterious quest of which I'm not sure what the driving force is.

The writing is terrible. They often confuse "it's" with "its" or "your" with "you're" etc etc. It's very difficult to read. Childish writing. One example was something like (written by memory - it's not exact):
You approach a man in a house.
Man: I want to spend the rest of my life with you.
You: Umm.. I'm sorry. I don't go that way.
Man: I'm sorry! I swear I was practicing my proposal.

It's got to be some of the worst writing I've seen in a commercial game. Only reason I'm still playing it is because I've dropped 99 cents into it. :(

The graphics and gameplay are seemingly okay. Except for any cutscene. You instantly transport from one location to another as minutes/hours/days/weeks/months/years pass by (I have no idea because it doesn't say). One moment during a long cutscene I was in a grassy area, the next I was suddenly in a snowy town. I have no idea how much time has passed or why I couldn't just walk there myself? Oh well..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk