Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Sephiroth

Square Penix *
-We make it where you get the DLC get the what you get and if you don't get it than that's that.  :=

Seriously, I don't know why it is so hard for you Icey to consider making a short simple game with basic elements IE:

-Introduce your world in a short intro(explaining what is the world, who is the hero, setting up some hopefully understandable background story)
-The Hero and the Lady are discussing some romantic stuff.
-The lady gets kidnapped by one of those monsters you've drawn, (they do look good btw)
-Take several rooms with one character to fight before you can go on to the next room, give them simple dialogs.
-Final fight.
-Ending scene where he gets the lady back(or not).
-Credits

It shouldn't require too much coding, while your art is honestly quite good and would deserve better treatment.
Try to keep your dialogs coherent and related to the story and it could be a nice start imho :P

Icey

It sounds so simple. And thanx btw.

However I think I might try something in shard hunters with that as the main idea. :)

Icey

Quote from: Khris on Tue 15/05/2012 08:02:10
I HAVE to comment on this.

Icey:
Unless your game can handle actual DLC, don't call it DLC. It's as simple as that. Nobody (except you) needs or wants pretend DLC, just like nobody needed pretend Beta unlock codes.
Grow the fuck up already.

And it's MEANT, not men't.

Why you mad tho? But for though, khris why can't you just let me go along with my own flow sometimes? So what if it's not real DLC cause it's not made in something that can produce and accept real DLC? I wanna make RPG games with things in it that makes it feel just a little close to a FF game but does this mean it's not a JRPG cause it's not made in something like RPG maker but instead in something used to make adventure games? It's called a work around if plays like a RPG then it's a RPG even if there is a part missing, words mispelled, and a few extras that the developer likes but someone else doesn't like. And the same goes for DLC,  if it was proven that AGS can take in DLC and make it than it's DLC. Sure it's not called DLC and it may be used in a different way then how other people make it but it still works like DLC.

Khris

My point was, what you described ISN'T DLC:
Quote from: Noctis on Mon 14/05/2012 16:26:27
I was thinking of different ways to get DLC to work for me. One way to do it is to have all the stuff in game. I been playing around with it in PMQ Online. All I have to do is have a file that is made to lock the DLC insdie the game. I know how to do it too.

How can I make this any clearer?
I didn't even talk about JRPGs or FF, I just wanted to point out that putting the "DLC" in the game from the start and being able to unlock it through codes or something ISN'T DLC.
So don't call it DLC unless it actually IS DLC.

It's the same ridiculous thing you did with your facebook-like-beta-unlock-codes. An image inside the game archive with letters and numbers on it WHICH IS EXACTLY THE SAME FOR EVERYBODY downloading it is just pointless. Don't get hung up on stuff you don't have the skills to put in your game.

You wonder why I'm getting mad but you just can't stop spewing this bullshit.

Icey

Fair enough, how's about this. I will make a simple game and have it where you ca put in DLC. I will post different types of DLC and it will all be free. If it works out in a way that is exceptible then it should be enough to prove that I can make a game with the ability to use DLC. If it works then hey it works and if it doesn't then I have failed. But, I have failed nowing that I learned something along the way. :smiley:

Ryan Timothy B

You do know that DLC means: Downloadable Content right?
Everything you've been discussing has been what I'm going to call Unlockable Content.

Everyone is only getting up in arms about that. Don't call it DLC when it's actually ULC. The player is not downloading the images, the scripts, etc of your so-called "DLC". They're inputting a code and "unlocking" portions of the game that EVERYONE already has within their games.

That's all. Just stop calling it DLC. Do you understand? Read this message three times or until it makes sense.

Ghost

Then again, advertising specifically that there is "ULC" could be fun. Especially in Germany, where "ulk" is an old word for "joke".

R4L

This thread makes me lol

TomatoesInTheHead

Quote from: R4L on Tue 15/05/2012 20:56:52
This thread makes me lol
It makes me ulk

Should be the new lol.

No but seriously, Icey,
Quote from: Noctis on Tue 15/05/2012 16:18:42
Fair enough, how's about this. I will [...] prove that I can make a game with the ability to use DLC.
While your DLC/ULC idea is, I assume, one of the most upsetting thing for many people here, it's also the least interesting, so just don't put any energy into it to prove a point. Instead make a proper game without technical extras around the game (or technical extras without a real game), but with a good, original, stand-alone (in-game!) story. Prove that you can do that, if anything.

Icey

Ok I see the point now with ULC.

I like the whole idea of DLC. So far it just seems to bring me problems(Not saying it's bad that what people are saying it's just...I don't know)... So I might just leave it alone :smiley:

selmiak

you gotta be ulking me. Stop it before I turn into the incredible ulk... unlockable items like new fancy swords or (pimpin) hats for the player was always just called unlockables and not unlockable content or ULC. And next to DLC (which means downloadable content) ULC looks like uploadable content which ulks me even more... (roll)

m0ds

Make a game where 100% of it is there to begin with Icey (roll) I will give you 1 American dollar if you do.

Ghost

Quote from: selmiak on Tue 15/05/2012 22:29:53
I turn into the incredible ulk
I see what you did there  ;-D

Icey

Very soon I will have at least one game that has no need for any extras. And it will called simple's quest. staring master simple as the simple protaganist. :D

But for real tho, I will make a game like this 100% complete very soon.

Khris

Also make sure you let a few select members do a beta test, then fix 100% complete of what they tell you is wrong.
I'd say this is your last chance to prove that you can publish something not broken, but who am I kidding.

Icey

ha, I got this /:-)

I know I could do it.

æ

I don't post much, I'm too shy to cause controversy...

But what's fascinating about this Oceanspirit Pub Studio3 DLC etc. is â€" after I've read dozens of posts and see so many games and discussion inspired by it â€" I just don't understand it. Everything just makes no sense to me. It annoys and unsettles me, like in a Lynch film reality is flickering. But maybe this weird feeling means it's real art. Sorry, slightly off topic...

Icey

lol OSD is a really odd series. It doesn't really follow a steady story line. The only one that does is my series.

Khris

I'm sure Amélie was only talking about OSD, and not in the least about your other projects. (roll)

(Since it's probably necessary to mention this, that was sarcasm. Amélie was talking about PMQ, among other things. It's amazing how you only hear what you want to hear every time the criticism isn't spelled out loud and clear.)

Icey

Actually I only see what I understand or what I get. I thought she was talking about OSD in general not my stuff. Another funny thing I should mention is it's hard as hell for me to pick up sarcasm over the internet when people are txting. I can better catch on if similes were used.  (roll)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk