Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

UPDATE July 4/12

So I finally figured out all I need to know about how the Cross assault Battle system works. I wrote it all down today and it should help me when actually working with it so I don't mess up anything.

You can read the list below if you would like to. Comments welcomed but nothing harsh or unnecessary. Also, I am aware of the typos and stuff. Note pad doesn't have a proof reader and I think my keyboard is messed up cause I gotta press sorta hard to get the letter to show up. Cause I noticed I kept typing Monsters as mosters.

Battle system - Cross Assault Battle System v4 - CABS4

1.Intro to battle

The character will walk and with each step he takes, 1pt is subtracted off the Random

encounter int. When it hit's zero, the player will be sen't along with his team mate

into the current locations battle room.

2.Mid setup
before the battle starts, the monster and his stats need to be picked. Randomizer is

created to select the monster for the battle. Once the monster is picked, the game

will apply the stats to that moster.

3.Starting off

The player and his team mate will enter in from the right thus facing the enemy. A

engage logo will fly across

4.Row movement

In CABS 4, unlike CABS 2 the player can not freely walk about the battle area. instead

the player must select which row to move to durring battle by selecting the R1, R2, or

R3 buttons at the bottom of the screen. The AI team mate will be placed at R1 the fits

their stats. If they are strong in Magic then they will be placed in the back row but

if their strength are higher then they will be placed in the front row.

5.How do rows work?

There are a total 3 + the Targets row. The move about the battle area so they can find

the row that best helps them to win. R1, the very 1st row. In this row the players  or

team mates MGK power is increased by +3 until they move to another row or at the end

of the battle. R2, the very middle row for the player. This row gives you no +#. If

you cast magic from here then you MGK power will be at normal. R3, The row that puts

you and the target face to face. In this row your ATK power is incread by +3 while

your magic will be reduced by -3. So remember, Mages to the back and warriors to the

front.

6.Commands + Action Sets

When you select a command then select a target you will Cast a powerful spell or

unleash a furious swing from your sword. But what about the AI? Each team mate or

summon has total amount of command that can be used. Though the AI can not be

controled directly, their action during battle can be based on the commands you

choose. Before battle you can sync all of the AI's commands to the ones you have. If

you sync AI Pyro to Player Attack, the AI will cast Pyro on the target on it's turn

after the player uses Attack since those two are synced actions.

7.It's not over until your out of Phoenix Clips!

In battle you or your teammate may fall due to having no more HP left. If your team

happens to die then just use a Pheoenix Clip on'em. It'll get them right back up and

ready to keep fighting. However if you die during battle it's game over unless you use

a Phoenix Clip on yourself before you die. This will allow your Hp to be full restored

once it drops to 0. This only works once and you will need to use another Phoenix Clip

before you die again during battle for the same effect.

8.And about those Summons

In the spin-off, Miles's Adventure:PMQ, The character Miles is the only one who can

summon creatures into battle. Summons are Gods called onto the battle field to protect

it's summoner the best way how. The power of summons are added on to the power of the

summoners. If the summon get's defeated in battle then the summoner get's knocked out

until the end of the battle. Each summon gains it's own EXP after battle but it

depends on which one is in battle.

9.Dream points are a plus!

Were trying to figure out how we are going to implant this in the game. Right now you

have the option selcting 1 of 2 check boxes in the stat menu. If select the one next

to the ATK stat or the one next to the MGK stat then when you gain dream points (+1Dp)

then you ATK or MGK stat will be increased by 1 for each DP you gain. We are thinking

of making it where doing different objectives during will give Dp but for now we are

trying to figure that out.

10.Spells! spells! spells!!!

In Miles's adventure:PMQ, Magic is divied up to fit the element of each the player and

the summons. Spells like Pyro and earth can only be used by those of the fire element

like Christen or Ifrit. Cure, and Curaga can only be used by Ghost Cat and Tifany.

11.The more the stronger I am!

Most characters can equip swords such as Dave and Christen. Each sword has it's on

ATK+ amount. When equiped, the players ATK will be added with the Swords ATK, Thus

making attacks stronger.

12.Assault Breaking!!!

Each character has a special move called an assault. In Miles's Adventure:PMQ, Dave's

Assault changes based on what sword he has equiped.

13.Action Sequance

In some battles, there may be some events that may come up in the battle where the

player will need to keep clicking the button on the screen to charge up an attack or

something. Example would be, The big robot is shooting a laser beam at you. You can't

doge it so you must block it, charge up your shield by clicking the button on the

screen. The more you click the less damage you will endure.

14.Death

If you have ran out of Hp then you will be knocked out. Next your previous save data

will be loaded up and you will have to continue from there.

15.Victorious!

Once you win the battle you will gain Gold and a item if it you won with the hidden

bonus timer. If you don't win with in the Bonus time then you will not get the item

you worked so hard for.

16. But how do I level up?

Each attack you deal on an enemy will give you +1exp. The same goes for summons too.

There is also this pic I put together of the menu screens. A number of things have changed in this picture as it was made on the 23rd of last month.

Ghost

The system as you describe it sounds playable. I admit I am not the biggest fan of JRPG combat choreography (Screen shatters! Dramatic music! Heroes march in! Two minutes cutscene of cool poses! Mouse appears! Mouse takes 1 Damage! Mouse dies!... and so on) but if you can pull this off, good on yer.

Will DEF be affected by Row position? It would make sense that an archer/mage in the second row, placed behind a meat shield, would be harder to hit.

I am not too sure about the "hidden bonus time" to net you a goodie; do players know about that hidden challenge? Otherwise the loot will just appear as randomly generated.

Icey

With all the practice from my other attempts at a better battle system I can promise you that this one is by far the best and I can pull it off. A version 5 and 6 are being made for future games but the only way they will work is if I can pull this one off.

A yes the DEF stat, If forgot to include it in the list. And even if I did put it in there I don't think I know away of describing how it works. But yes the rows will. I'm trying to figure out how though, like maybe at row 1 the player will take a bit more damage and at row 3 the player will take less damage since they're taken physical damage to the face. What do you think?

The player will be warned at the start of the battle about the Bonus timer. They will be told only how much time they have. The Bonus loot is a surprise. However the Bonus is not going to be in every battle as it will be up to game to choose at random.

Icey

UPDATE July 7/12

So I was able to make the swords and make the Standing/Attacking frames. Turns out I already had made empty handed sprites of Dave so just in case one day I wanted to give him extra swords. So that's a plus for good thinking. Anyhow, I've been trying to measure them to make sure they fit and aren't bouncing around when switching frames. I think it's going well but I'll see when I put them in the game. I have also been working on he Summon spries. So far I have Ghost Cast and Ifrit finished.

Icey

Thanks dude, tried to get the swords as close to how they looked in the Menu Display versions.

Icey

UPDATE July 8/12

Finished the summon sprites. [imgzoom]http://www.pictureshoster.com/files/4q4mdkgy9qg0m7oaq7.png[/imgzoom]

After Ghost Cat I sorta got a bit lazy while drawing ifrit, then I got even more lazy when I did Shiva. But after a little rest and some game playing I was able to gain enough energy to draw Zangard.

Ghost if you read this post I was wondering if that sound effect offer is still open?

EchosofNezhyt

Looks cool.
Ifrit looks cool. (Hes the fire god thing right? I haven't played a ff game in years.) Maybe he should have a loin cloth?
Blue guy Zangard looks cool.

Icey

Thanks and that doesn't sound like a bad idea, I think I'll try to add one tonight.

THE imperialman

Will the player accumulate XP by other methods?(Such as completeing a level or an item that provides collateral XP)

Icey

well what usually do is make it were every time you attack you gain 1 xp point. This way the number of points gain is equivilant to the amount of hits. However I don't know if this will work for this game, but it could.

To directly answer your question however, in action sequence mode when competing the correct actions you gain some exp.

Icey

UPDATE July 20/12

It may seem like it goes right to left but the arrows refer to the level connected to the last orb.

Andail

Ok, since this thread is basically all about Icey publishing random thoughts and scribbles, I've moved it to the Rumpus.

Once you have made some proper progress, Icey, I'll be the first to post in your GiP thread and wish you good luck.

Dualnames

Lovely stuff on these papers, icey. A rude question, but it's more aimed to gratify my need for an answer rather than insult you/offend you. But why are your games featuring worst graphical quality concerning character sprites, when obviously you can draw quite good?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Icey

Holy crap I never noticed the last two post.

Andail I have a lot of in game stuff to show I just haven't had the time to post the stuff. I will try to post some screen shots of my latest works tonight.

At Dualnames. That's a rude question but rather a good question. I'm not a good spriter, well I am but not a good animator hence why I use other methods for making actions like using the tween module and I only use left and right view for my characters. It's easier and faster to animate a sprite that looks decent rather then one that looks awesome. Maybe I'll pm Grim about how he does the animation for the characters in the Cat Lady. Cause if I can do it like that then my games art as a whole will look a whole lot better.

Technocrat

Icey

ha I spelled it wrong...but I think I'll keep it like that :D

Peder 🚀

I must admit your drawings ARE really good!

Icey

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk