Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

UPDATE December 25/12 -

So I was watching a recent walkthough of a game called Bravely Default, For 2 years now I've been trying to create this system that would allow the players to communicate about things reletive to what happening around them. Well Bravely Default does what I want but it's not live. So it gave me a new idea I wanted to try out. In the I replaced the usual world interactions that adventure games have and added a feature called [PARTY CHAT].

This option is becomes available at certain points in the game. When selected you start a mini conversation within the Party. You have a few options to select from to talk about.
[CHAT] - basic and maybe relative talk with the other player.
[Objective] - get hints and reminders on what you have to do or get.
[End Chat] - Just end the chat.

This new system is full workable and hopefully I can expand off it in the future.

Icey

UPDATE December 25/12 -

Here's few screen shots of different scenes from the game. :)

Icey

Pub Master Quest -The Adventure of 2-

Download now!

It's 2012 in the world of Senpah, people are still fighting in foolish wars as their world crumbles beneath them. Dave, child of courage has risen up to save the world from the evil Troll Lord. Can he save the world in time before everything is consumed into Oblivion?

*Note this game has absolutely nothing to do with the other PMQ games I make/made. This game sorta follows the events of the real world in 2012.*

Sorry for the multi-post, just thought I should post it where it should go :)

OG

When I joined the AGS community I thought I was joining 'Adventure Game Studio', not 'Adventure game Sadist'.

Seriously guys, the bloke is 17 and he has a better understanding of the engine than 75 percent of you, yet all you do is give the guy a hard time. It's easy to point out all the negatives in everything (which seems to be an ongoing theme here at AGS), why not cut the lad some slack and tell him where he is improving as well? Looking back at all his other attempts you can clearly see Icey is getting better at what he does. Clearly it isn't the best game in the world, but credit where credit is due. It seems to me like Icey get's picked on specifically as I tell you I have played some trash here and held my tongue. Well, there was that one time I did give a negative review but got bashed for doing so. Ah well.

@ Icey - take what you have learned and just keep going mate, learn from your mistakes and keep improving.

Khris

OG, we have been playing this exact same game for the seventh or eighth time now. The main points of criticism are that there's no gameplay besides clicking on the next room exit and that the battles only emulate RPG mechanics because icey can't code an actual battle system.
Us mentioning this every time a new game is published is supposed to encourage him to create an actual game instead of the next cookie cutter semi-interactive wannabe Final Fantasy trailer.

You know less than 75% percent of the history here and have been registered for about 7,5% of the time icey spent so far making basically the same non-game over and over again.
You aren't the first newbie who dons the white armor as soon as icey is critiqued, and you certainly won't be the last.

LimpingFish

Quote from: OG on Thu 03/01/2013 20:49:20
When I joined the AGS community I thought I was joining 'Adventure Game Studio', not 'Adventure game Sadist'.

That's a little harsh. Have a look over the previous 3+ years of Icey-related threads and you'll soon see that it's been a magical mystery tour of endless advice, many bouts of head-scratching exasperation, and copious amounts of dead horse flogging. And it will likely continue, because, despite the fact that we've all lost our temper with Icey at one time or another, we understand his desire to make games.

Like I said, I've played everything in his oeuvre up to this point, partly because I'm actually interested in seeing if he's made progress in his quest. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Sadists? Not at all. Masochists, maybe...
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

ddq

Thank you for not crediting me this time.

OG

QuoteYou aren't the first newbie who dons the white armor as soon as icey is critiqued, and you certainly won't be the last.

I might have joined the forum lately but I've been lurking off and on and playing the games around here for years. I'm no 'n00b' and I'm certainly quite aware of how it works around here. I just decided to learn the engine before I signed up to avoid pointless "How do I do dat?!!1" threads. Couldn't live with that on my conscience. And to be quite frank, Khris, I just don't approve of the way people mock this guy. It's about plain decency. Not everyone is a pro, many of us never will be. Treating him like a failure isn't going to help. I like to have my own opinion about things and that isn't going to change, newbie or not. When I was 17 I was doing some damn stupid shit. At least he is trying to do something product with his time.

QuoteThat's a little harsh.

Maybe you're right. I'm certainly no angel, in fact, I can be a bit of an arsehole. You're probably nice, friendly people, but I am the type of person who cannot stand to see someone get so singled out. With some people it's bordering on bullying (I am not talking about you guys specifically).

Hell, I don't even know Icey personally. We haven't even exchanged a pm before. I'm just old enough to know better than to treat him like an idiot. It's not clever and it's not healthy. It's just as bad as a kid showing his dad a picture he drew and the dad yelling at him for colouring outside the lines.

Peace and love.

Icey

Quote from: ddq on Fri 04/01/2013 00:31:40
Thank you for not crediting me this time.

Let me break it down for you. And I could be wrong. I might of missed a game or so but screw it.

Meant for ddq only, nothing bad but no one has any reason to respond to it unless your ddq.

Spoiler

Now this is very important not just to you or but anyone. I'm not asking for a bunch of people to take it to the heart and be like "oh, well I wasn't gonna do that anyways" that's cool but I'm gonna stress this point but mostly toward you ddq. Cause you feel like you just gotta say something.

OSD was thought up by a few people(mostly you and ben). The design took off and many people hopped on his pirate ship and made more games about him. Here's the thing. From the very start I came up with my own version of OSD. Hes different in many ways and he can only be used by me. Why? cause of this, I'm absolutely fine with not being able to use him for any thing commercial. Not even DLC. That's all cool and it's all in the past now. But here's the thing. The reason why my Dennis can't be used is cause hes apart of the PMQ world. He can only be used in non-commercial related things by my team. He can cross between the PMQ universe into OS universe. For this fact I don't really mess around with the normal canon Dennis, only every now and then like OSD HD for example and because I'm apart of the AGS community  :D.

Point is I wouldn't add you to the credits cause you made absolutely no contribution to the PMQ universe. Not art, music, story, or even helping me with a confusing bug.

The only thing you'll see yourself under is a OSD game and that's if I feel like adding you. In my opinion and I don't care what anyone say, Ben's the real man behind OSD. It's because of his code that I finally was able to start trying to make a real RPG system. His simple code was the answer I was looking for in the beginning but couldn't really get it out of know one.
[close]

LimpingFish

Alright, anything posted from here on in that's not directly related to the game in the thread title will run the risk of being deleted. Icey, your above post should've been a PM, if ddq is the only person it's directed at. Don't derail your own thread.

Everybody can head over to the Iceygames thread in the Rumpus Room, if you want to talk about other Icey-ness. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

ddq

Please don't tell him to PM me. I don't think my poor heart could take it.

Icey

UPDATE January 10/13

Death Risen -PMQ-   Is comic that me and my friend created. It's number XIII in the PMQ.Legends series. Check out part 1 below.

Ponch

Icey, I would love to spend 24 hours living in your brain, just soaking in the Iceyness.  :=

Icey

Maybe you should plan a vacation, it's still winter time. But just a heads up, I didn't make this comic up here. I have part 2 and we're working on part 3 together.

Ponch

Quote from: icey games on Fri 11/01/2013 04:04:25
Maybe you should plan a vacation, it's still winter time.
Good point. I should hurry and get in there before spring. I bet it's warm inside that Icey noggin'. (laugh)

Icey

Sure is, you can only enter if you a Pub member, but everyone's a Pub member ;)

Dualnames

Quote from: OG on Fri 04/01/2013 00:37:11
QuoteYou aren't the first newbie who dons the white armor as soon as icey is critiqued, and you certainly won't be the last.

I might have joined the forum lately but I've been lurking off and on and playing the games around here for years. I'm no 'n00b' and I'm certainly quite aware of how it works around here. I just decided to learn the engine before I signed up to avoid pointless "How do I do dat?!!1" threads. Couldn't live with that on my conscience. And to be quite frank, Khris, I just don't approve of the way people mock this guy. It's about plain decency. Not everyone is a pro, many of us never will be. Treating him like a failure isn't going to help. I like to have my own opinion about things and that isn't going to change, newbie or not. When I was 17 I was doing some damn stupid shit. At least he is trying to do something product with his time.

QuoteThat's a little harsh.

Maybe you're right. I'm certainly no angel, in fact, I can be a bit of an arsehole. You're probably nice, friendly people, but I am the type of person who cannot stand to see someone get so singled out. With some people it's bordering on bullying (I am not talking about you guys specifically).

Hell, I don't even know Icey personally. We haven't even exchanged a pm before. I'm just old enough to know better than to treat him like an idiot. It's not clever and it's not healthy. It's just as bad as a kid showing his dad a picture he drew and the dad yelling at him for colouring outside the lines.

Peace and love.

Sorry for the late and most likely rendered irrelevant reply, it's not meant to trash or derail the topic, even if coming to think of it, it will actually do so. Anyhow, icey has come a long way, and Khris raised a valid point about how the AGS community stands towards icey. Eventually he gets singled out, that's debatable, even though I believe so. Nobody wants to fight Icey, at least the majority, in fact the basic idea behind the criticism is to make a point from which, as long as completely understood and accepted, Icey will learn and move on to better things.

In the end of the way, this community will be right, and icey himself will even agree to that. It happened to me, and the behavioral patterns between the both of us are much similar.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

miguel

I also believe this to be true. As a young padawan, Icey will grow strong as we can all see that the force is strong in him. Khris has a huge role in his path and Icey is lucky to have him as a mentor. It's not easy to all and it will lead to frustration many times...but we don't want Icey to follow the dark side (other engine) do we? It would be a shame if such effort was in vain. This said, there's no other thread this amusing in the forum!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Akatosh

This thread made me return to the forums, it's true.

... it's still a good thread, though.

Icey

@Miguel: Khris as my master...I can see that being true :D

@Akatosh: Glad you like it ;)

I'm just gonna drop this here, more information to come February.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk