Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

miguel

I remember "junctions" while playing FF (7 or 8?) on a PSOne. I believe that you could "junction" fire and fira to produce firaga or something like that. "Junctioning" powers/spells could produce better magic.
I'm sorry if this is not the case, it's been a while since I played those games.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Icey

So it went like this, I wanted to edit my normal Cross Assault Battle system that I'm using in PMQ Legends. What I do is search threw a hand full of RPG games that would give me ideas to make the system a bit better. And I know for me that one thing I like about RPG's is the ability to easily go threw a bunch of menus to customize things. I did a little research on FF8 Junction system and watch a video on it. I always thought the system was unique and stood out a bit from the rest, and that Square wouldn't touch it again cause of how hard it was for fans(including myself) to get used to.
I took the base idea of that system and tweaked it a lot and then merged it with my own system.

Here's what FF8 Junction does
[embed=640,360]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qka4Idi-vY8?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

And here's what CABS Junction does...

Like how I said before with the slots, you have 5 slots(it would of been 7 but AGS only allows for me to use 5 for 4 characters until someone updates the editor)
Attack: use abilities
Magic 1 & 2: Pretty explanatory
Item: Use items such as potions and stuff
Assault: use "Limit breaks" and summons

In the "queue" menu You have 5 Rows of actions that will be used for AI characters in Battle. E.g you select Magic 1 for (row 1 box 2) and you have Pyraga junctioned to BLK Mage's Cast 1, in battle once the Action for BLK Mages comes around he cast what is ever junctioned to that action, which would be Pyraga. So the only hard part about the system is pre setting everything for the next battle(But I have plan for that due to something I seen in another game) other then that the system is totally easy to use and it wont take that long to understand it's functionality.

So yeah, I think it is a way of making a complex yet easy queue. 

Ghost

I understand. But isn't that a waste of potential? This sounds like a good way to create a simple, flexible, turn-based combat system where a lot of factors create a highly individual playing style. If I, as a player, could make character abilities complement and enhance each other, that would really make me interested in the game, and I'd sink some time into the actual strategy. Like Miguel mentioned and I already assumed, a "junction" between two abilities, spells or items can create a better outcome. That is basically a craftig system for abilities you got there. As you describe it, junctions are just actions for a character; junctioning means assigning.

But what about this:
I have a strong, slow fighter with a sword. He can hit hard but it takes him two turns to get ready for the swing. In the turn he must "wait", I can have my weak but nimble thief throw him some poison cream (or FF-equivalent thereof). If I time it right the sword and cream result in a poison attack.
That's not too hard to implement in terms of general functionality, I'd say, and it would make you system more flexible and interesting for a player- imagine them finding scrolls where a certain combo is noted down, noticing a pattern, and then start experimenting!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: icey games on Sat 16/02/2013 01:32:43
Yes Crimson Wizard, I can totally agree with that about me making games and only finishing them half way. That all started from from my first game. I think I got a developer disability or something lol.

This is not disability, this is what happens when you are rushing things, getting to complex projects before you learn to make smaller ones.
I guess everyone walked through that, in this or other way.

Icey

@C Wizard: humm, yeah I can agree with that. But it's these complex project IMO that I fail at that make the next one a bit better place it gives me more skills to try out and other stuff to learn. I never really liked making a simple or small game cause I felt it was time wasted and I wouldn't learn most of the stuff I was gonna need to make a RPG as fast as I wanted too. Truth I have enough knowledge to make a basic RPG game in AGS. I just try to go all if I can and at the same time try to bring something new to the table if possible. :3

@ghost: Is that sorta like Chrono Trigger? I mean February is the month for developing the Battle system. I'm not say no, but if I could figure out a way to implant such thing on paper and concept then I might be able to give it a shot. Also there is no Attack Time gauge in this game. I'm sure that has nothing to do with what you mentioned above. But still the reason why I haven't touched it is cause I really learned how to implant it. I have an idea but I know it's to complex to try.

(I wish someone would make a basic module for a basic Active/wait RPG game)

Khris

Quote from: icey games on Sat 16/02/2013 16:16:37Like how I said before with the slots, you have 5 slots(it would of been 7 but AGS only allows for me to use 5 for 4 characters until someone updates the editor)
That's a lame excuse.
It's actually a piece of cake to overcome this with your coding "style", because you aren't reusing any assets or code anyway: just use two GUIs.

Also, did I read this right about having to set everything anew before each battle, and not being able to choose much in the sense of tactics during one? You're also not having battles with multiple enemies...!?

Seriously, why do you even bother.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: icey games on Sat 16/02/2013 17:35:15I never really liked making a simple or small game cause I felt it was time wasted and I wouldn't learn most of the stuff I was gonna need to make a RPG as fast as I wanted too.
That's exactly the case. A person thinks that making small things he will waste time, and jumps straight to the big ones. And still wastes more time ;).

Ghost

Quote from: icey games on Sat 16/02/2013 17:35:15
@ghost: Is that sorta like Chrono Trigger?

No idea, I never played Chrono Trigger. It's more like Minecraft meets Fallout meets Venetica, with elements from Diablo and probably Jagged Alliance. See how much this says about a battle system- nothing. Better describe in your words what you are making, that way your readers don't need to hunt down games, play them, and then understand what you're saying.

You don't need a time gauge to make the system work. You already have turns, and turns are a way of measuring time.

I also suggest you do NOT use month to "sort" your game making. Sorry, there are only three enemy types because March was the time to do them and I was really busy that month so I had no time to make more? NOT a very strong point.  ;)

Icey

@Khris: It's not really a lame excuse, I know I could use two GUIs but I want one. Not being childish but that's thee way I like it. But might use that two GUI's in the future.

And I know what I said about pre making something before Battles, This same idea was sorta used in FFXIII(I never said that's where I got it from at first but led me to believe it would work out), if engage with a Boss and you die you get to go to junction menu sections and re-customize stuff.

@Crimson Wizard: Trust me, I haven't wasted anytime. Sure like I said some games that were released were a fail, then there's the ones that I started but never finished, and then there's the ones that I'm currently working on. Out of all these games I've learned a lot in these 5 years.

@Ghost: Makes sense, I thought of using months as a way of staying organized however if I ever finished before time I would jump into the next step. ;)

Icey

UPDATE February 18/13

Here's a concept pic of General Valdsieer. The main enemy of this game.

Khris

Fixed that for you:

->

On an RPG-related note, and I might have done this before, here's how I'd calculate the damage of a melee attack in an RPG battle:

Start with Character's base stats for Strength, Agility, Dexterity. (Example: base strength: 5)
Apply equipped item modifiers, then battle effect modifiers. (Example: magic armlet has absolute strength mod of +2, -> 7, weaken spell has relative strength mod of 70% -> 4)
Calculate derived stat Attack based on str, agi, dex: str + (agi+dex)/2 -> 9
Apply equipped weapon modifiers: +10, 110% -> 20
Weapon has random damage variation in range 80% - 120% -> 21
Calculate hit percentage based on derived hit stat + modifiers: 60 + agi + dex -> 70% (currently no modifiers)
enemy evasion = 10%
70% * 90% = 63% chance of hit connecting
If it does: subtract enemies current defense stat from attack: 21 - 5 = 16
Final result: enemy loses 16 hit points.

Ghost

Quote from: Khris on Mon 18/02/2013 17:10:09
Fixed that for you:

That's really a *very* flat head...

Icey

@Khris: Just bookmarked that, I don't think in this game theres any modifiers besides junctioned abilities and magic. But still... here's what I'm using right now. How would I work that into this?

Code: AGS
if(ToriCOM1 == COM_Hit){
     ToriAttack();
         int ran=Random(1);
if (ran==0){
  FadingMiss(45, 94);
}
else{
score = Player4ATK;
     FadingMessage(45, 94);
     TargetHP -= score;

}

}

@Ghost: He looks younger and more sinister in the fix. I But still I sorta that the face was to long but I couldn't really tell where and stuff.

Anian

Quote from: Ghost on Mon 18/02/2013 17:30:53That's really a *very* flat head...
It's kind funny that you (and Khris and me and other people) care more about it than Icey does. I've given up on trying to point in the right direction and away from the lack of basic drawing steps Icey should use when drawing and that would make his art better. Maybe it'll come with age.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Icey

Look I'm still learn with this style, I mess up here and there and it still looks good IMO. I don't wanna really grab a full realistic style but try to aim in between Manga and realism.

I sorta used Snow(guy in the pic) as a reference for this face structure.

So as you can see, I didn't do it perfect but it's not all my fault.

And...other reason why I don't stress concept is cause it will be totally different in game vs the pic. Now if it was a 3d model then yeah I would be pissed off with a lot of things.

Ghost

Quote from: Anian on Mon 18/02/2013 18:55:55
It's kind funny that you (and Khris and me and other people) care more about it than Icey does.
It stopped being funny a while ago, right now I think it's unsettling  ;)

Icey, if you look at your reference pic you will see how the dude has a forehead, a hairline, and then a good section of hair. The skull under that window dressing is at least able to form a circle, which is the basic shape when you draw a head (in almost any style that's somewhat realistic). In your original drawing the poor man's face has no room for the skull at all, not without cutting off the top. Khris' edit corrects that pretty well without changing anything (looks like a squash/stretch job to me?), so you really should try it out and see if it works for you.

And yes, I know this is not the Crit Lounge  :-[

Khris

Doesn't matter, there are no rules in the icey games thread ;)

Weird, I could have sworn you were using this as a reference:
Spoiler
[close]
Yeah, it's not your fault. Right.

Also, given the situation, this:
QuoteHe looks younger and more sinister in the fix.
has to be your most rib-crushingly hilarious statement yet. It's like Jesus himself has just turned a turd into delicious ice cream right in front of your eyes, and your only comment is about how it's now more squishy than before.

As for your code, you can at least add some randomization:
Code: ags
    int score = (Player4ATK * (Random(40) + 80)) / 100;  // 80% - 120%
    FadingMessage(45, 94);
    TargetHP -= score;

It's beyond actual saving though, you'd have to rewrite everything from scratch to implement what I suggested. I mostly posted this in order to demonstrate to you how far away from an actual JRPG battle engine you still are.

Icey

@Ghost: Well I still got a lot of practice to do so I'll the facial structures and stuff to the list. ;)

@Khirs: Well that wasn't my only statement, And it seems a important word is missing from it to. I knew the face was a bit messed up but I could tell. Now before I finished the picture one thing I didn't like was the top of the head. He wasn't supposed to have hair and it wasn't supposed to be him. So that's another reason why it's messed up but I'm not saying that excuses the fore head but probably the top of his head. If I kept it bald then maybe it would look better. But maybe next time.

Now as far as the code, one of my games you helped me on has something like that but a lot more to it. So your right that I'll have to restart the whole system to add that, so that looks like another thing that'll have to wait until the next game. I already have the code for it so just have to find the game with it.

Cuiki

Seriously, Khris? What was your reference pic, a bulldog?

I'm not saying it's bad at all, but that thing about Jesus was fucking pretentious (unless you were really only trolling). No matter how you put it, Icey still did most of the work, you pretty much just moved a few things up and down a bit.

That said, I honestly admire you guys for going out of your way to help Icey, if only you didn't have to take the piss out of him all the time. :undecided:
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Icey

I've gone to far into making this battle system to start all over now. I'm on a tight schedule and I need to have this finished by the end of this month so I can go into development phase on the real game and migrate over what inside of the battle system test game. Also if it's sounding like I'm being rude or I don't care then please that not true. From the discussion on the logo til now I'm still chilled, understanding, and appreciating. The way I work on things doesn't really allow me to go back and make the best improvements yet, it's usually best for me to just start all over.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk