Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Thanks Eric, Ghost, and Zabnat I'll check those out after I get out of work.

Ghost

Floaty... cubething??

Icey

Oh, don't mind that, I seen it and I wanted to do something with it here and I couldn't figure it out so I just dropped it there cause I needed my clipboard. :D

It means something new that's downloadable is coming soon. ;)

Icey

UPDATE March 1/13

Fantasy Dough! - A triva RPG about making the greatest Pizza ever!

It was supposed to be a 2 day game I was gonna work on and if I couldn't finish it in time then I would leave it alone. But it was so short, simple, and fun to make that I had to finish it.

Download here

selmiak

Quote from: icey games on Fri 01/03/2013 06:52:40
A triva RPG about making the greatest Pizza ever!

without the trivia part it would be the best game idea ever. But randomly guessing your taste in pizza is a strange gameplay example. I for one need more pepperoni on a pizza than I could answer. Or is there a recipe somewhere to be found? Also making me touch the door to exit is stupid, just let me exit on click with whatever action selected.
But the enemies are really funny :D

Crimson Wizard

A cute game :). Are you going to post it in "Completed Games Announcements"?

Graphics are really good, but controls could be better. There are only 3 verbs (Walk & Touch could have been merged, I think), yet you have to click buttons all the time to switch between them. Also, there's no visual indication which object could be interacted with.

Icey

@selmiak: I dislike pizza truth be told. I wanted to make something unique, different then my usual take on RPG. This is because the game was born from my victory in finishing a big part of the junctions test game. Before my head exploded from taking on something I wasn't really ready too, I need to do something small.

Thanks, I usual don't like to post there cause I think lessen the amount of Downloads I get for the games. But I feel this game will be just fine there once I add the edits to night.

To-do list:
  • Merge Walk/touch
  • Add over hotspot[I sorta left it out cause I wanted to make people think what can I interact with but I see that was a bad idea lol]
  • I might add a verb coin[If I can figure out how to do it.]
  • add regions

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: icey games on Fri 01/03/2013 14:13:51I sorta left it out cause I wanted to make people think what can I interact with
The thing is, that lack of notifications cannot make people "think", because there is no universal rule behind the placement of active areas. In real world you can interact with anything, but in adventure game the number of choices is limited, based solely on author's opinion.
Therefore players have nothing to start thinking with. They may only guess, or rely on their intuition, which is not the same. This does not exercise intelligence, nor give any pleasure from finding these locations.

E: Not only that, but sometimes this may be difficult to understand what are you looking at :).

MiteWiseacreLives!

Played it!
I would totally play one of your RPGs if you can point me to one that works decently, some of the stuff I've tried crashes early on and I gave up (I may have missed a little gem). I think you know how to make a game fun, this one was. The trivia was completely reasonable, kind off a Monkey swordfight thing ( I was hoping you had to learn responses and trivia to make the pizza, like Monkey Is :) )
couple notes
-You need to add a few variables/bools so you don't get all confused when the game tells you to get something you've already got, or repeats a irrelevant convo..
-Something strange happened in the pepperoni fight.. I gave an incorrect response and he hit me, it kicked out of the battle, the battle-music continued and some how I obtained the pepperoni??
-If you make a full game, please ask for some one to check your grammar etc.. It takes away from the fact that your ideas are creative and interesting, its all I can do to overlook it sometimes..
But yah, is there a game you would recommend I play at this point or is it still in development? I want to have an educated opinion on Icey Games...

Khris

Quote from: MiteWiseacreLives! on Fri 01/03/2013 18:12:06-Something strange happened in the pepperoni fight.. I gave an incorrect response and he hit me, it kicked out of the battle, the battle-music continued and some how I obtained the pepperoni??
You lose a heart when you're hit and if all are gone it's Game Over. Other than that, getting the wrong answer has no effect on the outcome of the battle or the battle itself. The reason is that Icey, while steadily improving other aspects of his game design, can still not code.
I'd view what the game does as intentional, along the lines of "it's not that serious, so you always get the ingredients", but this is of course contradicted by the abrupt game over and the inability to save.

The simple fact is that dear Isiah's game logic remains less sophisticated than a Choose Your Own Adventure book's.
We have been telling him for years now that publishing broken games instead of learning how to code is stupid, but he simply doesn't care.

miguel

Working on a RON game!!!!!

MiteWiseacreLives!

ICEY! Is what they say true! is there really nothing in behind your battle engine?? If so that's pretty bad, I know not everyone is into math and stuff, but seriously after this much time with AGS and all these code-dudes scolding you?? Please tell me how you track the hits and wins... now I have to know, everything else I believe in is crumbling not You too!  8-0

Icey

Ok I was waiting until I finish the edits so I could respond along with the game but now I mad, I already had a bad day plus I gotta go somewhere. Khris stop tell people that I can't code and my systems are fake. The only time when I had a "fake" system was in my oceanspirit dennis 1 and 2. Now those games used the score tracker to fire events and determine the out come in battles. It was a bad step, but it was my first real take and it really worked just fine. Khris I value your help greatly, maybe more then you think but stop saying that stuff especially in public(even though it's not true) you make people think I'm a fake then I never end up getting any reviews or people coming to talk to me like they do everyone else here. My games aren't perfect but something like this is made with hopes that one day I could have people talking about my games on those review sites. Like I said, they are not perfect, but when tweaked right they work. All you have to do is tell me the bug and I'll try to fix or I'll ask for help.
I wanted to take on everything alone in this game. I tried to fix all my problems because I didn't think the game was serious enough to bug someone with a game this small and sorta unimportant.

I'm not explain how my battles work all the time. That's not fair at all. It's simple, go in there battle and get out, khris. But I will break this one down. So that happens to be a bug that I missed cause I was shooting a midnight release at time of me being very sleepy(so this doesn't keep happen, just know when I get sleepy I get forgetful). So the battles are all survival. The reason I made the battles like this cause I want you to get the stuff regardless but if you lose 5 hearts you get game over. It's a trivia rpg khris. Simply the way it works is you keep fighting until you and if you lose it all it's game over. It's called gambling.

Also I make my games how I like, sure sometimes later I have to agree with the others. But I have no problem adding stuff if I feel it's not gonna take that long or force me to completly rewrite something from scratch. Btw, that's sorta where the junction system was born from. It's not perfect once again but it's a great solution to my problem. I can ode, just not the way most people want me too. Which is what makes me different in a good and bad way.

Khris

Why? I mean it's true, and we all know it.
I get that you don't like it being pointed out, but why not man up and LEARN TO CODE instead of trying to silence critics?

The irony is that you made this as a retort to my "learn to make proper dough" comment, and it's still bad dough. The icing keeps getting better, but the dough is still bad, and over-simplified.

If this game had really bad graphics, no effects at all, no music and sound and a well-working battle engine, I'd have been much more impressed.

Icey

Are you serious, I...I just don't...khris I can't work on anything ugly. I don't care if anyone said my stuff was ugly. If it doesn't look cool to me I can't work on it. The same goes for playing an ugly game that someone has made. I just lose intrest to fast. Which is why I don't like making small games cause they end up becoming serious and turn a bit bigger then were planned.

Now as for some ugly games. I know that they may play great but they don't look a type of eye catching then I won't play. I'm talking about 3d ags games cause IMO I don't like how they all look on ags. There's no shaders and light effects and everything does blend well. I give them props however I feel they would do better on a 3d program. That's me not trying to take on everyone here makes or likes 3d ags games. But me just sharing my opinion. You wanna talk about that, take it to the PM's, don't argue about here.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Quoteis there a game you would recommend I play at this point or is it still in development? I want to have an educated opinion on Icey Games...
Any thoughts on my earlier response? I deserve some acknowledgement, seeing as I didn't even demand to know why Dave walks around with his arms straight out :) So what was the bug? Sounded like you intended to end the battle at one hit and hand over the pepperoni, you only spent a couple days on this I know, but in the update will there be some kind of prompts? (BTW is there any way to view inventory?) I think I get what you intended now, but you should let the player know what's up so they don't feel the game is out of control. The gamble thing would be fun if it was introduced properly, without introduction there is no suspense or tension just alot of "Huh, what the heck was that??"

Icey

Sorry I forgot to respond to that. All my games before my 2012 end year game is not worth really recomending but Isay with a doub that my next game will be worth the play. Now that I'm finish with this game(I mean if someone offers to help with the grammer then I'm cool with that.) And I'm finally about to be done with the battle system test game, I can finally move into work on that new game.

Now as for the game. I fixed a bunch of stuff in the game. Battles are supposed to be finished with at least 1 hear remaining. If you run the game you will see that same bug in all the battles. The fact is you won but it didn't have the newer victory code but I have fixed that in all battles. Dave walks with his hands cause I wanted to give the feeling some how he was in a rush but I think I have a better way of showing it. There will be a how to play in the game and a overhotspot that will tell what you can click on. As for telling the player the way the battles work, I can include that. So if I'm correct I think that's all that's missing from the game to make it better.

So the update will be coming later today. I'll post when it's out.

Khris

Quote from: icey games on Sat 02/03/2013 15:14:52Are you serious, I...I just don't...khris I can't work on anything ugly.
Uuunnnnnghhhhhgggnnnnhhh.

I'm saying that I don't care how a game looks if the mechanics are broken. I didn't say "make an ugly game".
Why does simple communication with you always have to end up being such a hassle?

It's clear by now that you can churn out decent looking sprites and backgrounds, and that by using the Tween module 50 times per room, you can present those in a nice way. But until the game logic behind all that is also working fine, everything else is just racing stripes on a junker.
I made an image: clicky here (I know, I'm an asshole)

You did exactly the right thing by creating your debug battle game using the first final fantasy spritesheet on google images. But as soon as I told you that you are using custom functions the wrong way, and that you're just rearranging bad code, you went back into full Icey mode, talking about deadlines and concept art instead.
Why not go through with it and learn how to properly implement an RPG battle, even if it takes five months instead of one?
I know that coding lots of struct functions is a lot less fun than making sparkling title logos, but the sense of accomplishment is worth it.

Icey

I'm not saying this in a mad or aggressive way. But khris, why don't we sit down at some point and we go threw making a proper system the right way. Right now I get bits and pieces based of what I ask from time to time when I need help. I'm trying to put it all together in a way that sorta works but maybe not the right way. Maybe it would be better if we started from the ground up. Because the real problem is that the systems are usually broken and those are the main parts of the games so it would be best to work on that part.

Snarky

You know, I'd probably be willing to do a battle system for you just to put an end to all these pseudo-RPGs where the outcome is pretty much pre-scripted. Just describe what you want, how you want it to work (not by comparing it to other games, just explaining the logic of the system, what you can do, what your opponent can do, what other things affect the battle, the role of random chance, how you win and how you lose, that sort of thing).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk