Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Really? That'll be awesome, I mean hopefully I can learn from over time but that'll be helpful. I need to write down a plan of just the basic stuff I'm looking for(It won't be anything crazy like the junction system or anything).

Cuiki

And I can do some proofreading if you want (I'm not a native speaker, but what the heck).
Hmm..it's kinda steep. But with a sled I can slide down the slope.

Icey

That'll also be helpful. I don't wanna waste your offer so maybe you could help me on this game or with the next short one that'll have the new battle system by snarky.

MiteWiseacreLives!

OK so now we're getting somewhere!
Perhaps what you should do is map out what you want from a battle system on paper, it might help you visualize the logic & all the factors and what part they will play in the odds, etc.. (use a pencil.)
I would request that Kris make you a new diagram for each game you produce, you should see the amount of dilemma decrease with all the help you've just been offered. I, on this side of things, think some of us should begin a sort of gambling ring based on your next game and the chart Kris will produce. Any takers?

miguel

I promise to be around and read all your project posts!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Icey

That'll help if he feels like it(The diagram). I figured out a brand new simpler battle system that uses Junction features but I'm debating if that's the one I wanna give to snarky or give him a different one and work on that one my self. The reason is cause I have this weird feeling that the system he makes obviously will be good but it might be complicated to learn or to handle right then and there. I will force myself to learn it but after I'm done with this big game. That way I can use his system a short small game to better get the hang of it.

Also I guess I could explain a little of how the new system works. So I haven't gave it a name yet...But the way it works is like this. The battles are centered around Dave(maybe you'll be able to swap him out witch other characters) and the target. The Battles work just like any normal battle until you open the Assist Menu. here you can call out a equipped Assist character(maybe you'll be able to select one from the list during battle) and choose from a list of 2 actions, Attack and Joint. Joint allows the player to use a action that's Junctioned(Yeah, I'm still working with that) to said command.
  • Ability
  • Cast
  • Assault

When your Assist is called they will jump out of no where and attack the target. And there you have it. That's a short explanation of the new system. It's easier IMO so I'm not letting go of the Junction system but I need the time so I have to result in something simpler and still sexy looking.

Snarky

Quote from: icey games on Fri 08/03/2013 17:15:28
That'll help if he feels like it(The diagram). I figured out a brand new simpler battle system that uses Junction features but I'm debating if that's the one I wanna give to snarky or give him a different one and work on that one my self. The reason is cause I have this weird feeling that the system he makes obviously will be good but it might be complicated to learn or to handle right then and there. I will force myself to learn it but after I'm done with this big game. That way I can use his system a short small game to better get the hang of it.

Also I guess I could explain a little of how the new system works.

OK, so is this explanation the system I can help build for you, or something else?

QuoteSo I haven't gave it a name yet...But the way it works is like this. The battles are centered around Dave(maybe you'll be able to swap him out witch other characters) and the target. The Battles work just like any normal battle

Normal like what? What do you consider a normal battle?

Quoteuntil you open the Assist Menu. here you can call out a equipped Assist character(maybe you'll be able to select one from the list during battle) and choose from a list of 2 actions, Attack and Joint. Joint allows the player to use a action that's Junctioned(Yeah, I'm still working with that) to said command.
  • Ability
  • Cast
  • Assault

When your Assist is called they will jump out of no where and attack the target. And there you have it. That's a short explanation of the new system.
OK, so I'm unclear on several points here. I assume Ability/Cast/Assault are existing features of your battle system? I haven't played any of your later games; can you explain what they do?

"When your Assist is called they will jump out of no where and attack the target"

Is that for Attack or for Joint? And whatever the answer, what does the other option do? What effect do they actually have on the course of the battle? How are they different? Is there a drawback to using your Assist, and if not, why would you ever do anything else?

Khris

Quote from: icey games on Fri 08/03/2013 17:15:28I will force myself to learn it but after I'm done with this big game. That way I can use his system a short small game to better get the hang of it.

Why? Why not put the only proper battle engine you're going to get INTO YOUR BIG GAME? Why make a broken big game and waste the engine on a short, small one?
Keep in mind that using a proper battle engine requires like three lines of code per battle, tops. Putting lots of battles into your big game after everything else is done is going to be extremely easy and won't take long at all.

This is how I added the battle from my video on youtube to the game:
  StartBattle(eBattleJungle, eEnemyBlob, eEnemyBlob);
The engine takes care of the rest.

Icey

So my explanation was all over the place. I wanted to use something that was "broken" in code but work just right cause I'm sure that I by using it I won't have any problem handling it cause I make it. I'm not say Snarky doesn't know what hes doing, I know he knows what hes doing. But I'm monkey shit scared that once he makes it I won't really be able to get it really quickly unless I really sit there and fully play around with it( this would force me to need to make small game using the script ) or that I won't explain everything right( like the way the battles play out in my head ) because I have absolutely no way of showing him everything I'm think unless I draw/write it up on paper which is why I was thinking of a simple 2/or 4 batter Active-battle system like most other RPGs or the old ones( yes I'm also looking a something along the lines of FF6(3 in the US) ). Those games are what I mean by simple. There not crazy extra feature based battle systems like most new RPG.

Either would be nice ask you to take a shot at but I would more prefer to take my "broken" that I will be only using for this big game and use snarky's system for many other games. It seems foolish but it's a good idea IMO. I need this PMQ to be a bit sexier then any other ones I put out there or that I'm currently working ATM. This way people will hopefully look forward to future games and updates in the series. It's a big dream( not as big as my fading square dream ) but I'm sure I can pull it off, I have to try.

Snarky

So do I understand you correctly that you don't want my help at this time?

Ghost

Quote from: icey games on Sat 09/03/2013 05:43:16But I'm monkey shit scared that once he makes it I won't really be able to get it really quickly

I think it's a safe bet that anyone helping you to script a battle system will also be able to explain you how to use it, icey. Look, this is the perfect opportunity- you got an experienced programmer offering you scripting help, and let's face it, sooner or later you will need to put a proper engine under the nice hoods (that you really CAN create quite well now).
I'd say STALL your "big game", get that battle system, make a small game to try it out, GET FORUM FEEDBACK, and then move on to the big one.

Icey

humm ok, I guess it's worth the try. Snarky if you want to help me with the (Assist Rush Battle System) then I'm ready when you are. Just let me know and I send you over more pics and information on how it works.

[The real reason I wanted help on the other system is the Assist Rush Battle system was only planned to be used for this game. Meanwhile the other system could be used in a whole bunch of games cause it's design would be simpler. But maybe this might turn out to be a really interesting system that'd people like :) #Thinkpositive]

Snarky

Split topic, moved discussion of the design of the battle system to http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47807.0

Icey

I didn't even know you could do that, maybe it's something new but I'm gonna check it out.

Snarky

You can't. Only moderators and admins can.

Icey

I know, I just never realized you all had that power.

UPDATE March 15/13 

So I've finally been able to jump into the begin part of the game. I've finished the main menu and I'm working on the intro. All battle rooms are gonna be open and unedited until Snarky finishes the module this way I can focus on the design and coding.

Here's a look the main menu.

Online: I was thinking and I want to try and throw a players chat room in the game. Players can talk to about stuff in the game and stuff, idk.

Extra: I fully thought about what I want to put in this option but 1 thing I was thinking mainly about was throwing in concept art work that wen't into the game into the exrta room. And if I have some spare time at the end then maybe I would import demo of PMQ Legends or something( I really wanted to use Fantasy Dough, the final version but I can't cause the music is by Square. ) Sure I could always look for royaltyfree music but most music can't give off that same feeling that you get from a FF song IMO. I've been looking and I just haven't found or heard much of what I need.

Scavenger

Quote from: icey games on Fri 15/03/2013 05:14:07
Online: I was thinking and I want to try and throw a players chat room in the game. Players can talk to about stuff in the game and stuff, idk.

Please, please, PLEASE do not think about this until you've released the game. This is not a necessary thing you need to think about yet. You don't have enough of an audience to support people chatting from within your game. Too much work, not enough reward. It'll reduce the amount of time you can spend on the actual gameplay, as well.

Icey

Good point, it's easy put in the game cause it would just be copy and paste but you bring up a vaild point. If it the game get's enough attention after then free version or what ever I plan to do with it will have a that feature.

Icey

UPDATE March 25/13 

I've created a twitter to update news on just PMQ games and it's spin-off games. I thunks is a lot more better to have just a twitter to talk about my stuff instead of having one for personal stuff and game stuff.

@Pubmasterquest

Icey

UPDATE March 31/13 

Here are some shots from start of the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk