Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

kaput

Nintendo should just change their name to Icey and get it over with already!!!

Icey

It's my phone dude, It's not me all the time. I know it may seem like it but even a Galaxy s4 isn't perfect. Sometimes my fingers act like they are to big for the screen and the case on the phone is huge. The best thing I could say is just try your best to make out what I say or just ask me and I'll try to see what I was saying before it got messed up.

You guy cant lie you've. = You guys can't lie you've,

that's just my phone like I said, sometimes I type really fast so I can respond in time like just now I've been beating again :(

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: icey games on Sun 25/08/2013 07:02:47
Oh, thanks for the clarification... ???

I'm using my phone right now too, so don't use that shit as an excuse. Just try proof reading what you type. Simply: care. If you don't care what you type, why should we care reading it.

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 25/08/2013 06:18:35
(roll) You took that way too literally.

I meant it in terms of quality, not genre. Icey releases nothing but unfinished games riddled with terrible UI mishaps or laziness, below mediocre and often sloppy graphics, with more spelling and grammar mistakes than one could believe possible.

Based on Icey's fantasies, which is to have a developer randomly contact him saying "You're perfect! Work for us!", Dave and other successful AGS game creators stand at a much greater likelihood. But at the same chance of winning a comfortable amount in a lottery.
Well, I certainly see your point, still, regardless of your comparison, my point stands: as much as we'd like quality to be the defining factor, it's often not. Sometimes genre is. Sometimes the audience is. So I'm just saying, I wouldn't be surprised if an amateurish silly JRPG got much further than an adventure game of Primordia quality. As a person who often finds himself begging fellow adventure gamers to play certain titles that shine with quality, I can easily imagine it as a realistic possibility that a JRPG could easily flourish in a bigger, less discerning and more enthusiastic audience. I mean, look at bloody first person shooters. If you have a 3d renderer and the guns shoot you have a marketable product. I'm oversimplifying, but you get the point, you could say FPS audience is the most forgiving.

And I don't know how figuratively you wanted me to take it, but we actually were talking about specifically Nintendo, and Nintendo certainly would care more about mass public appeal than about what some quaint adventure gamers would consider to be "quality". I mean, Nintendo is still making games about freaking Mario, and you're talking about quality?

Adeel

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sun 25/08/2013 04:54:54
Dave Gilbert makes and releases adventure games, though, not japanophiliac JRPGs. Nintendo for sure won't ever knock on the door of a traditional PC adventure game developer, that I'm sure of! [...]

I'm sure that Ryan is jealous of Icey. He's wondering why on the Earth Nintendo didn't call him and chose to call Icey instead? ;)

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sun 25/08/2013 04:54:54
[...] Their target audience is much closer to Icey's. Which is to be expected because you could say they actually brought up Icey culturally, and he's in love with that culture and a part of their audience, so he already belongs there. So, I'm afraid your comparison doesn't quite make sense in the way you want it to. [...]

I agree. Nintendo has done the job of brainwashing him quite well :P.

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sun 25/08/2013 11:08:30
[...] And I don't know how figuratively you wanted me to take it, but we actually were talking about specifically Nintendo, and Nintendo certainly would care more about mass public appeal than about what some quaint adventure gamers would consider to be "quality". I mean, Nintendo is still making games about freaking Mario, and you're talking about quality?

You mean Mario is a freak or Mario games don't have a quality? Yes, that's the most reasonable thing I heard! (roll)

Quote from: icey games on Sun 25/08/2013 01:54:28
I wanted to say I wanted to read his post, but I wasn't sure if he still wanted me too. I thought because I said something that he might took out of proportion he said something out of anger, I then seen your post and assumed he was mad. [...]

I'm unable to understand: To whom are you referring to as mad? Me or Ryan? (wtf)

It's my phone dude, It's not me all the time. I know it may seem like it but even a Galaxy s4 isn't perfect. Sometimes my fingers act like they are to big for the screen [...]

I'm not sure about your intention. Are you implying that your phone is one to blame or trying to show off that you own a Samsung Galaxy S4? Btw, last time I checked, S4's screen was much larger unless you've fingers similar to Hulk. :P

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 25/08/2013 08:14:38
Oh, thanks for the clarification... ???

Icey, we understood what you wanted to say there. But we couldn't understand this:

Quote from: icey games on Sun 25/08/2013 00:54:57
[...] You guy cant lie you've. Just about all of you have messed around with head at least once in the past years. Though I was heated then im not anymore.  I just find it funny that I fell for lot stuff brcause I was so gullible,  I cant change the past but what I can do is make now better for the future. ... dont take that im using it in my game :)

Sir, these lines need more deciphering than Renodox's riddles. Please elaborate more, what did you meant to say? I'm sure that you'll elaborate because you say:

[...] just ask me and I'll try to see what I was saying before it got messed up.

There. I asked you politely :).

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 25/08/2013 08:14:38
[...] I'm using my phone right now too, so don't use that shit as an excuse. Just try proof reading what you type. Simply: care. If you don't care what you type, why should we care reading it.

Ouch!

I'm close to freezing from Iceyness now ;). I'll come back later. :)

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Sun 25/08/2013 12:45:08
I'm sure that Ryan is jealous of Icey. He's wondering why on the Earth Nintendo didn't call him and chose to call Icey instead? ;)
So it would seem!

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Sun 25/08/2013 12:45:08
You mean Mario is a freak or Mario games don't have a quality? Yes, that's the most reasonable thing I heard! (roll)
I mean that reusing the same bleak character in the same concept for decades without even bothering to properly characterize him or do anything genuinely fresh about him, preferably just dumping him altogether already for the sake of something original, interesting and meaningful, doesn't feel like striving for quality to me. Super Mario Bros was a nice platformer game, but infinitely cashing in on that fact and paranoically tastelessly clinging to the character involved isn't chasing quality. It's chasing something else, if it deserves to be called chasing at all, since the process is much more reminiscent of stagnation.

miguel

QuoteAlso and Miguel I think I said no but if ever came to point where I wanna use that confusing ass system...then yes, I would do it just for you :P
You're a good sport, Icey. And you figured me out a long time ago:-D
But seriously, Oldschool_Wolf is right about other engines being better suited for what you're aiming at. You're a young dude and learning a new language/engine isn't going to stop you if you keep your (fantastic) motivation.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Adeel

Quote from: qptain Nemo on Sun 25/08/2013 13:12:14
I mean that reusing the same bleak character in the same concept for decades without even bothering to properly characterize him or do anything genuinely fresh about him, preferably just dumping him altogether already for the sake of something original, interesting and meaningful, doesn't feel like striving for quality to me. Super Mario Bros was a nice platformer game, but infinitely cashing in on that fact and paranoically tastelessly clinging to the character involved isn't chasing quality. It's chasing something else, if it deserves to be called chasing at all, since the process is much more reminiscent of stagnation.

You're definitely right in a way that he's not characterized properly.

I don't know about you but I've played the Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I also played Wario game (can't remember the name exactly). I were also a fan of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (a very original rpg-sorta game). Same goes for: Mario Golf (can't recall its name properly too). There was also the Mario Party series and much more (each and every game can be downloaded for free from any rom sites). In short, I've seen many variety of Mario games (with different concepts) other than the traditional one too.

And no, Nintendo's bound to not to kill him because: apart from being profitable, Mario has the status of Classic Heroes whom cannot be killed (even if they don't make profit anymore).

Judging from the above, I believe that Nintendo is indeed making different and fresh type of Mario games apart from the traditional platformer. :)

You are looking at Mario world from the Adventure Game Developer and / or Player point-of-view. MW and Adventure Games are two different things, in my opinion.

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Adeel S. Ahmed on Sun 25/08/2013 13:49:26

You're definitely right in a way that he's not characterized properly.

I don't know about you but I've played the Mario vs. Donkey Kong. I also played Wario game (can't remember the name exactly). I were also a fan of Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (a very original rpg-sorta game). Same goes for: Mario Golf (can't recall its name properly too). There was also the Mario Party series and much more (each and every game can be downloaded for free from any rom sites). In short, I've seen many variety of Mario games (with different concepts) other than the traditional one too.

And no, Nintendo's bound to not to kill him because: apart from being profitable, Mario has the status of Classic Heroes whom cannot be killed (even if they don't make profit anymore).

Judging from the above, I believe that Nintendo is indeed making different and fresh type of Mario games apart from the traditional platformer. :)

You are looking at Mario world from the Adventure Game Developer and / or Player point-of-view. MW and Adventure Games are two different things, in my opinion.

Ok, the games may be nice and, ironically, quite diverse as games. But the question is, does Mario have anything to do with any of the nice aspects of those games or is he just put there for the sake of appearing in a game again? You admit yourself that despite all those games being enjoyable and different, Mario himself isn't characterized properly. Which means he's merely a generic mascot, whose only role is to appear again in a game for the sake of appearing in a game. And as such, I'd argue he's long overstayed his welcome and lost any conceivable appeal he could possibly bring to anyone who isn't a Nintendo fanboy. I'm not a Nintendo or Mario game expert, so I'm not gonna argue about the worth of each particular game, but to me a choice between a new nice game, that is clearly product of free creativity, and a new game, that features Mario again for no reason, for the sake of featuring Mario, even if it's nice, will always be an obvious one.

And no, I'm looking at it from the general narrative, creative, artistic, ludic etc standpoints. Nothing to do with adventure games. I perfectly understand that Mario and his narratives aren't really supposed to serve the role similar to, say, Gabriel Knight, but still, even for his role, I think it's an absolutely ridiculous devotion to the "hero".

Khris

Two things:
-A Wii U dev kit apparently costs about $5000.
-Getting one does not mean you work as a developer for Nintendo.

This is just Icey being Icey again. Let's not forget that he only made non-games so far, before showering him in encouragement for his Nintendo career. I mean, really? (wrong)
It's all talk, and not a shred of anything else.

Sorry Icey, but that's what this is in my book. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm all for seeing you finally make something that can be called a game. But your Mythical Gambit stuff is just a lot of hot air and a few screenshots so far.

qptain Nemo

Quote from: Khris on Sun 25/08/2013 15:20:23
Two things:
-A Wii U dev kit apparently costs about $5000.
-Getting one does not mean you work as a developer for Nintendo.

This is just Icey being Icey again. Let's not forget that he only made non-games so far, before showering him in encouragement for his Nintendo career. I mean, really? (wrong)
It's all talk, and not a shred of anything else.

Sorry Icey, but that's what this is in my book. Don't take it the wrong way, I'm all for seeing you finally make something that can be called a game. But your Mythical Gambit stuff is just a lot of hot air and a few screenshots so far.
I have plenty of assumptions too, but I'm much more curious whether anything of what Icey said is actually true or not. Frankly I don't care how successful his (or pretty much anyone else's for that matter) Nintendo exclusive developments will be, but it'd be so infinitely cute if Nintendo actually licensed him, that I'm genuinely hoping that there's some possible truth in it.
Besides, simply lying about that would be so profoundly pathetic, so I'm hoping it's not the case for that sake too.

Retro Wolf

I don't see anyone encouraging his nintendo career. Just trying to push him in the right direction.... like a drunkard on a saturday night.

Icey

Ryan calm down, I'm not lying and it's not an excuse, I have a special keyboard installed called swiftkey, it predicts the next word and helps you with the current word. I can still type wrong with but it helps me see exactly what I need to do. I'm not used to god damn touch screen typing, I freaking loved the fact my sidekicks all had keyboards. I getting used to the thing but that doesn't mean I want have a fuck up here and there. If you don't want to read what I write then fine, you don't have to if you don't. I can admit when some of my stuff gets messed up it's really hard to read but I'm not gonna force anyone too read what they can't or don't want to.

some of you sometimes take from past games and here on the forums how I talk and think well oh the next game will be riddled with spelling errors. Never thinking well maybe hes just typing freely now in the game and then at the end hes gonna go back and either get it fixed or fix it himself. Some might call it stupid that I'd do that, some might call it stupid how I've built my new system. The fact is it's all fine with me and that's all that matter because at the end of the day I wanna be able to make stuff in a way that I'm comfortable and won't need much help. When I try to take the full advice of how to make a RPG with all those structs and arrays and stuff I mean I really struggle like that, I can guarantee that once I get my hands on the system sharky's building I'm gonna have a hard time at the start but I'll catch on

@adeel: When I came back I seen two post, I started to read the first line of ryan's text and I was like woah, then I scrolled to see how long it was when I ended up seeing you posted. His first line on his reply plus what you said led to believe he took things out of proportion about what I said was mad and I didn't think anyone understood what I did there. All I'm saying is ryan you played a little joke before and I fell into it, no problem, if I was really mad still about that do you think I would be talking to you?

About my screen, It's big i'll give it that, but I have a case that sorta extend upward so if the phone is ever to fall the screen will not be harmed. Now that part of my case makes it hard to type sometimes and if I don't pay attention to what swiftkey tells me sometimes then I'll end up with typos, There's no red line under the word to say it was wrong. I just have to pay more attention. No prob, I'm trying but it's hard for anyone to see :\

" You guy cant lie you've. Just about all of you have messed around with head at least once in the past years. Though I was heated then im not anymore.  I just find it funny that I fell for lot stuff brcause I was so gullible" - the main line

You guy can't lie you've, just about all of you have messed around with (my) head at least once in the past years. Though I was heated(mad) then, I'm not anymore. I just find it funny that I fell for lot stuff because I was so gullible.

@Khris: Why would I be mad...well I see why I would but I mean, you just answered my question which in turn will help me figure out away to now budget the game. I can't make do anything right now until Nintendo calls me back, The main point I was trying to make is Mythical Gambit is coming along more smoothly than my other games despite the lack of screen shots I've show.
I know I'm not gonna really be working for Nintendo, like in the studio but from the way I feel, I see how poorly Nintendo is doing right now and that's qptain Nemo is right, Nintendo irques the hell out of me cause all they do is use mario as a way to draw in more cash. They don't focus on bringing much newer stuff to nintendo. I don't want to see a bunch of new or spin off mario games cause that's how sega sometimes treats sonic. They need in a way more creative 1st party ip's. However they slack off and they leave it up to the 3rd parties who are not always willing to support them or the indies looking for something new to try or another place to put their game which might be why he only needed $5000 because all the stuff was done prior, he just needed the kit :D
Look at me rambling on, my point I was trying to make is Square is graphics crazy and tho I back them 100% I'll never really see a much FF or KH on a nintendo home console >.<
I can't complain cause that's them, but so long as I take from all the knowledge I've gotten not just from here but from square and a bunch of other thing too then I'm sure I'll make it somehow. I've anticipated a slow start but it depends about how I handle the advertisement of the game. Other places like Kotaku will handle that well when they talk about the Wii U indies games. So long as I do what I gotta do they won't twist the game around to people.

Take this for example: "Pub Master Quest Legends is a training game where you'll be able to practice your combat skills, In order to play you must first create an account. All instructions are in-game."

I'm happy to see it's on their, not so much cause it's pretty much broken as hell. But that description has sorta twisted what the game really is. I just left it alone but I mean that's sorta thing that can make people not really be willing to play the game let alone pay for it because they gave it a nonchalant description. Not say that's what Kotaku would do but I don't want them to bash the game because they don't really like it cause they're people out there who won't pay the 4.99 to try the game because of this review...Sorry if I made that mad confusing, either Mythical Gambit or PMQ will become PC and nintendo exclusives cause I wanna support Nintendo but their success depends upon how they are handled by me and how they are advertised by the bigger game sites that everyone follows

@qptain Nemo: I forgot to post these before but you just reminded me ;)

QuoteDear Developer,

Thank you for your interest in Nintendo's developer programs.  We would like to set up a time to have a phone conversation to discuss your plans. We need some information from you to help us get started.

Please provide the following information by Email:

•        A phone number where Nintendo can contact you (including area code, and country code if outside the U.S.)

•        A time and day when we can contact you.

Please reply to this e-mail with the above information at your earliest convenience; thank you.

Best regards,

Nintendo of America

QuoteDear Developer,

If you have not yet received a phone call from a Nintendo representative after providing the below information, please be patient.  The response from the development community has been amazing, and we are working very hard to process everyone as efficiently as possible.

Best regards,
Nintendo of America

My main focus is currently Mythical Gambit, If Nintendo contacts me I will try my best to gather together a team, I will work on the story board and everything and give them all the concept art/ or the materials for the game. I will basically be the games director & art director If I'm correct.

Adeel

Hmmm. Icey, even though it's difficult to make out the spelling mistakes on your phone, please re-read or proofread it many times unless you're 100% sure about what you wrote is correct. If you're a native English speaker, that still doesn't imply that you shouldn't proofread your texts. I myself proofread my posts many times and often I tend to end up with more time spent on proofreading them, as compared to the time taken to type them.

Its not that we're being Grammar Nazi here. We often 'decipher' what you wanted to say but sometimes fail to do so. Besides, spelling mistakes or so-called 'typos' will surely hurt the reputation of your company.

On topic, what are you going to say to the Nintendo representative once they call you? :)

EDIT: Btw, it's not nice to complain about the length of others' posts. Appreciate the time they've spent or wasted (your choice) for answering you!

Retro Wolf

You truly are incorruptible, aren't you?

Icey...I know I've took the mickey a bit, but I've also tried to steer you away from this delusional path.

If Nintendo do give you a call, I don't think it would take them long to realise you are not the right guy for this. I've read somewhere that Nintendo is trying to attract more Indie developers, but they are not going to hand out dev kits like candy.

After reading some of your older posts, I've come to the conclusion that you are incapable of taking advice.

I'm not saying I'm some game development expert, I'm very much the contrary. But as an adult, I know my limits, and from your previous AGS projects.... I can see yours.

You say you can just recruit a team to make your game for you, how much is this going to cost? Would they want to work with you?

Icey, you're a decent artist. Keep at it, then maybe one day someone will be paying you for your work.

I'm going to leave it at that........ I'm going to try and steer clear of this thread from now on.

Icey

Yeah I can take the blame for that, what I usually do is post and think it's fine and then I later I end up going back over it and say wow, this is just bad :-[ :D

QuoteOn topic, what are you going to say to the Nintendo representative once they call you?

I...I don't know :( I'm sure I could improvise but that might not be smart, worst of all they will call me at random so it could come at anytime.

:D No no I wasn't complain about the length, I had this odd feeling it was more of a backlash of my joke. A quick reaction to what I said. I've read it and I haven't got around to responding to it that's all. What he said was a bit rash one might say, same goes for khris said but I know it's good advice and it's true. Even though all of this is going atm it's still mostly composed of a dream and an old one at that. I never would have thought I'd be going back to wanted to get with nintendo after I got hooked into Square Enix. Everything could work out and then it might not which is my main focus is MG right now, all the nintendo stuff will come later after I speak with them again. I know that's the hot topic in this thread now and even though theres a lot of back and forth right now there is still some good words going on. However I just rather everyone just hold off with all the nintendo talk and let's just wait to see if Nintendo is going get back anytime with in the coming days. I would rather us talk about it then than now ;)

@Oldschool_wolf: I can take advice ;D, I have plans for my works and so far everything is going just right with the exception/inclusion of the possible nintendo thing. I can try to recruit a team, it might work and than it might not work. If the game I'm going to make is MG2 than I won't really need a team besides a programmer.....hmmm but I guess I'll be doing most of the testing which is good I guess....
However either way I figure out a decisive to produce a game for the system. It doesn't have to be a RPG, It could be something simple. I just really want to make a game for the system. I have a bunch of game ideas written down. So now that I think of it the only real problem is that find someone to help me. If the game seems doable and so long as there is money involved than they will be willing to help. I'm not gonna get someone whos really expensive but if I can find someone who can help me then I'm going to work with them.

Adeel

Ahhh. Talk of money...

Okay, then. How much are you offering to someone who'll program for you? ;)

Icey

Depends upon the project, I'm willing to negotiate a deal. Sorry to keep using Mythical Gambit as the example, But if I do make MG2 for the wii U they won't have to do much besides play the first game, ask me questions, and convert some AGS script to whatever they are using. They most have to take the graphics, and text from and other any resources I plan to use in the second game. I will ofcourse be making more assets and changes to the second game and I also will be working on the PC MG2 at the same time as the wii U programmer so I can guide them as we go along with the development.

I don't know what the average charge is but if anyone has any ideas then that'll be great.

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: icey games on Sun 25/08/2013 17:22:44
Ryan calm down, I'm not lying and it's not an excuse, I have a special keyboard installed called swiftkey, it predicts the next word and helps you with the current word.
I never once called you a liar for typing like shit, I called you lazy. Very lazy. Also from seeing you correct the same line twice and it STILL doesn't make a lick of sense, you're also showing you have zero knowledge of the English language or how to properly use it. You just randomly type like a monkey, stringing words together hoping they make sense.

I've got the same keyboard as you and nearly the same phone. It seems like your biggest problem is that you act like a little boy who makes excuse after excuse instead of just manning up. It's pathetic and it annoys me. Say this next time: I'm sorry guys that my posts are incomprehensible. I'm very lazy and I'm not very smart.

Instead of saying: Sorry guys, I suck at typing because I have a hangnail... on my toe.

Adeel

Quote from: Ryan Timothy on Sun 25/08/2013 22:15:37
[...] It seems like your biggest problem is that you act like a little boy who makes excuse after excuse instead of just manning up. It's pathetic and it annoys me. [...]

I tutor a boy who's about 13 years old. He does the same: making excuse after excuse and not accepting the mistake. Like you, it annoys me too. No offense to Isiah.

Isiah, did you ever think about making a casual Point'n'Click Adventure Game starring casual people instead of far-fetched (sorry for my word) lunatic people endlessly fighting in RPGs? That would be very nice for a change!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk