Icey games' thread

Started by Icey, Mon 05/03/2012 02:58:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Hahah Thanks :)
I would have had more enemies but due to time I want to keep things simple yet still entertaining.

But I have recently found that in the beginning stages of this battle system I can easily add more enemies if I ever so please so we'll see what the future brings.

OH!!1!1
SPECIAL UPDATE DEC 24

MiteWiseacreLives!

QuoteSPECIAL UPDATE DEC 24
Wow, you really are ahead of your time Mr Icey!

Icey

As I well try to be hahah.
Here's a look at some of ability I've made so far. Got few more to go and some more to edit but here's what I got so far and a bunch of new Spirit Card. symbols

Now for the symbols...

Old main 4 made by ben304:

New bunch made by Icey:

As you can tell I tried to replicate that odd abstract look Ben gave the first 4 but I failed and mains I think are trash in comparison but pretty much fine on their own. Who know's maybe I'll replace them later on so there isn't so much contrast. We'll see.

As a bonus, here's a look at some VFX from the last game I was working. i didn't think these were coming out good at all until I animated a few and realized that they weren't that bad. A few timing tweaks and these would be awesome. There's a bunch more but I don't want to focus on that games sprites right now. When I pick back up that game then I will return to it.

Icey

BIG x LATE UPDATE

Hello, if you've been slightly keeping up with the stuff that I've been posting then you'll know that I've set a planned update for the 24 to show you guys something special before I would inevitably get busy for the holidays. Instead I gave a small showing on the 23rd of stuff that I've been working on. But that's the 23rd, not the 24th right? Well you see, if there is one that is true it would be that making dates is easy but keeping to them is something else entirely hahah. Oceanspirit Dennis 3 is a game that I started in the middle with the drive to finish something not only before the year was over but also make something small for the 5th Anniversary of Oceanspirit Dennis: The parody series that's come a long way.
I started on something and then dropped it because I couldn't figure out how the small game that looked good and was good. But in late October I sat down in class, bored, but while i was doodling in my note book I came up with some characters, some mechanics, and an idea for the game would work and in a matter of 2 months I was about to accomplish 90% of what i envisioned for this game. My hopes for releasing in 2015 were ambitious but held in a way that seemed other possible with my recent knowledge and assistance from Monkey should I ever run into any problems.
If was to truly push for that 2015 release I would have to not only post up a release of game with a broken battle system but also a game missing music, sound effects, spell-checking, and testing for the battle system. Other than that the core parts of the game is complete and playable from start to end.

On Dec 31st, 2012 I released PMQ: The adventure of 2 which I believe was a mags game or something that was obviously made in a month because of such. I wanted to keep the game apart of MAGS but as a result of not just taking it out of mags and continuing the game it suffered horribly due to my lack of responsibility in releasing something of quality. I constantly want to prove that I can release something that looks and good and plays good but that's just no the way to do it. The same goes for this OSD game. I could just post it up now and move or I could keep going and make something great and release it early next year. As creator and head-overseer of this ship I henceforth declare that OSD will continue development through next year with a hopeful release late Feburary with more news to come in January.

Icey

About to try the last set of Spirit Cards from the 16 available in the game.
Once this works the last thing to implement is:
-Orb Class system, most commonly referred to as the elemental rock/paper/scissors, which helps with balancing.
-Adding the 5 Ex-Arts available to player into the game.
-testing the "Final Boss"
-Finishing touches on the battle system and polishing what ever needs it.

Ghost

Those last few posts really show how much effort you're putting into this, Icey. The combat animations are simple but effective, and there's a hint of complexity that my inner Pokemon-fan really appreciates.
Good luck to you, and congrats on all that work. (nod)

Icey

Thanks Ghost! I'm really trying to go all out with this project. I'm really hoping that enjoyed by many of the AGS folk and that it'd get pick of the month but most importantly that releases finished and playable from start to end. The battle system being my primary focus at the moment is what I will be showing off a bit more in this week with some screenshots and videos on it's progress.

As of right now, here's a collage of Dennis' face lol, and the theme song for the game, created by PMQ composer: Victor Schmitt
[embed=425,349]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OGXbEqurBqY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Icey

Here's a progression video of the battle system featured in the game. It contains 3 clips. The first showcasing a series of VFX, the second being of the system in back and forth action, and lastly the third showing off the battle system in near final form.
[embed=425,349]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CkhqqDrwQN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

MiteWiseacreLives!

Nice going Icester! Although I don't get quite how the card fighting thing works, are those just different attacks? Or random ones?

Icey

Thanks and they are different attacks but I got lazy and I'm using the same vfx animation. With the time I have now to work on the game I might do different animations for each of the 15 cards. We'll see what happens after I finish the ex-attacks animations so I don't burn myself out.

Icey

Some EX-attacks animations. I I'm trying to find ways to make them look good but it's just such a struggle because angle at which the game play takes place makes it sorta strange to come up with flashy or impactful looking effects while trying to keep in mind my lack of skill with VFX cause I'm not Square when it comes to that stuff. Plus I'm trying to make sure I can keep a steady pace to getting this game done because artist block is making me lose interest and I'm still basically at the end of development. So I think for the time being I'm gonna just move on to whatever else needs working on and anything else that needs touching up I'll save for the polish stage at the end .

MiteWiseacreLives!

I understand you running out of steam, you've probably played the latest OSD game..  (laugh)
The animations look good, the only thing I might suggest is to soften the outside edges of the wall of water. Although you should consider the source of the advice  ;)

Icey

Lol thanks man, I'll make sure to keep that in mind...for if I use that animation again.(Which I do plan to)
Because I'm changing the Ex-attacks to something different and more easier to pull off and still achieve that flashy look.
The only one I'm keeping because I actually like the animation for it will be Crystal Swords but I'm making it the special for the last sword in the game instead of the first. The other four will be replaced with power magic attacks Ice, Fire, Thunder, and...Space?

The previous 4 abilities will be usde in another future project that I hopefully plan to start Q4 of this year. This way I'll most likely have the skills to make better looking vfx by then.

Khris

Just a small suggestion: when you post screenshots, crop the window border and use PNG.

Icey

My bad, it's just a lot quicker for me to snap and post it up online without having to open PS to crop it correctly. But I mean I could put the effort into getting it done.

Icey

Finally finished all the Ex-arts animations. Now I just gotta put them into the game and scripted into the system.

Icey

HCNY & HBD2ME

Finally got around to putting everything together and it all not only looks nice but works perfectly.

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Prx29L33U04" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Crimson Wizard

Something I love about this project is how weird and silly all those monsters and attacks look :D.

Reminds me all those crazy monsters from old DOS games I played.

Icey

Hahah glad you like it. Its pretty cool their designs can be a throwback to the days of DOS games.

Also new for anyone who's been following the development of this game. My next post about it will most likely be in the GIP thread to house the feedback beta more publicly. The battle system is done and there is just one more thing go tweak to make it final and a few more things to add to the game to make it beta ready.

Mouth for war

Damn Icey you have really come a long way with your art and everything. Keep it up :) being a fellow RPG developer, I know the hard work behind it :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk