About the future of AGS: AC (After CJ)

Started by timofonic, Fri 09/03/2012 06:44:05

Previous topic - Next topic

timofonic

Hello to everyone.

This theme is something already discussed on different forum threads and even the IRC sometimes too, but I want to make people here to focus on this specifically.

CJ released the source code to the world, as a way to revitalize the project so other hands can maintain the project. The reality is that there has been some positive results like Android and PSP ports, but that's not enough to make AGS alive.

The main problem is the lack of source code of AGSNative, aka the AGS compiler used by the IDE. The reasons are not so known from me, so a explanation about this could be quite appreciated (I'll update this post with them).

But this is not all, there's the problem of maintaining the webserver of the forum. This forum is hosted on a Windows Server with IIS (Internet Information Server) and has been having periodical downtimes and overloads.

There's a new site for the project but still not complete, but the only person that have the code is CJ. No others could get it and finish the missing parts.

Other people like Wyz have their own ellaborate plans about this, but plans are useless if not putted into practice.

I'm not giving my personal ideas about how to solve this, because most of them are very obvious to the common sense of any person with enough skills for those tasks. I want to start a discussion inside the community about what to do to resolve this, to motivate the skilled people to do something instead just complain forever.

We need volunteers for different tasks (computer programming, web design, marketing...), we need project leaders (I suggest at least two) and get consensus about all this. AGS needs to emancipate to survive.

What do you want to improve?

If you have the skills for it... What would you do to solve it?

Do you want to keep AGS alive and evolve? If so, please reply...

Calin Leafshade

Oh blah blah blah

This has been discussed multiple times.

We need to wait for CJ to release the source for the mixed mode assembly.

Just shut up and wait.

As for everything else, no one will do anything until CJ gives the word.

So again, just shut up and wait.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

The first rule of CJ Club is NEVER TALK ABOUT CJ CLUB.

LimpingFish

Quote from: timofonic on Fri 09/03/2012 06:44:05
There's a new site for the project but still not complete, but the only person that have the code is CJ. No others could get it and finish the missing parts.

You make it sound as if CJ is purposefully holding back the website, despite the fact he has already announced:

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 28/02/2012 23:22:39
The other thing I really want to do is finish off the new website ... it's so nearly there, 95% complete and just needs the Search page and Post Comment form to be done.

So unless you're suggesting people rush his house and force him to do whatever it is you want him to do, under penalty of a heavy sack beating, you'd be better off just...chillin'.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Dualnames

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 09/03/2012 17:35:47

You just lost.

Also I personally blame hot spanish studs with sexual desires.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

timofonic

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 09/03/2012 18:43:11
Quote from: timofonic on Fri 09/03/2012 06:44:05

You make it sound as if CJ is purposefully holding back the website, despite the fact he has already announced:

Quote from: Pumaman on Tue 28/02/2012 23:22:39
The other thing I really want to do is finish off the new website ... it's so nearly there, 95% complete and just needs the Search page and Post Comment form to be done.

Well, something was lost in translation. I'm sorry.

I did mean about he's busy and at this moment nobody helped him, because he's the sole person owning the code.

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 09/03/2012 18:43:11
So unless you're suggesting people rush his house and force him to do whatever it is you want him to do, under penalty of a heavy sack beating, you'd be better off just...chillin'.

Uhm, it seems interesting. I'm going to find a sack and some iron tube...

Nah, I appreciate his work A LOT. I just would love to see AGS in a more strong way ;)

Quote from: Dualnames on Sun 11/03/2012 11:38:55
Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 09/03/2012 17:35:47

You just lost.

Also I personally blame hot spanish studs with sexual desires.

Indeed. Those very attractive and horny spanish studs are quite dangerious ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk