Shadow Kingdom

Started by pabloppp, Fri 09/03/2012 12:49:01

Previous topic - Next topic

pabloppp

Hi, I'm starting a new project with AGS called Shadow Kingdom (I have a little experience with Game Maker but this is my first attempt with AGS), it's going to be a short story and for the moment I'm working in a Demo of the game.
Here are some of the graphics I'm going to use:

Closeup[added]

Sorry for the big images and the blurry animations.

The story happens one night, when suddenly there's a power cut. The main character Babble has to find the way to return the light back to the city(mostly because he want's too keep playing videogames). Meanwhile, in all the shadows you'll be able to see in the game there will be running a parallel story (where your shadow is a knight).

I'm spanish, so i'm doing all the game's text in spanish, but it won't be difficult to translate if someone want's to.

I'm also quite new so I'm advancing quite slowly (I wanted the shadows to work in a way i don't know if it's even possible to do, i wanted them to show only over light sources, that are objects, and that light sources could move(ex:you carrying a lanter), but i think i'll have to do them static)

If someone wants to contribute to this game i'm open to suggestions, advices and working with someone.

Thanks for reading!

[EDIT] Here is the first demo of the game, i took the effort to translate it to english, but i'm sure there's gonna be a lot of mistakes so don't be too strict with that. The link is direct to my dropbox public file
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/34394156/ShadowKingdom_en.rar

If someone wants I can send him the source files, so he can tell me how to improve my programing!

Darth Mandarb

The first screen appears to be a menu screen... so please add on more "in game" screen-shot (as the rules require).

The project sounds interesting.  Good luck with it!

pabloppp

As I'm starting the project, and for now i'm just doing a Demo, I don't have much more images to show you, but in a few days (as soon as i can) I'll add the playable demo to this post (It's going to be in spanish)

WHAM

Lovely low-res visuals, and yes, I think you might be prodding a bit too deep into the swamps of AGS if you want to do realistic shados in your first project. :)

Only downside is the spanish language, but if there is an english translation made, I would certainly like to give it a go!

Welcome to the forums and best of luck!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Darth Mandarb

Probably should have waited until you had the 2 screen-shots to create this thread.

I'm not going to lock it (yet (because you provided some character animations and the menu looks in-game)) but you need to add another in-game screen as soon as possible.

Thanks.

pabloppp

The Demo happens in the scenario shown in the second image so for now all i can do is show the same scenario with some speech from the character, so i'd rather put the demo as soo as i have it (If you want to close the thread until i have the demo it's ok for me)
And for the shadows, is not realistic shadows that I'm looking for(the shadow is carrying a shield and sword), what I'm planing to do for showing shadows with static lightsources is to put an object-shadow following the character and a walkbehind that only shows that object in the light areas, what I'd love to do is, somehow, that the walkbehind areas could be moved (if the character uses a lantern, the lighted zone moves with the character but stays the same shape)
Sorry for posting this thread too soon

I added an ingame CloseUp

m0ds

Looks good, interesting to see the closeups mesh with the other art. And - uh-oh spooky shadow! But interesting you say its your protector. Nice stuff.

pabloppp

I added a DEMO in the first post!

Frodo

Played the demo - LOVED it   ;D  Thanks for taking the time to make the English translation.   :D

I loved how his shadow was speaking through him.  And a giant reading lamp in the street made me laugh.  Also, the 2 trolls in the drain were hilarious.   ;D

Love the graphics style. 

Zenger

I also played the demo  ;D, excellent work pabloppp  ;D ;D, very charming and funny, what a lovely girl XD :D ;D

I'd love to see where that shadow idea could go, it's very interesting  ;D

Regards

pabloppp

Thank you! If anyone finds the project interesting enough in order to help me with the way I want the shadows to be I'll be really thankful! And of course will be mentioned!

Stupot

This looks nice.  I'll be keeping my eye out for updates. Best of luck :)

Tabata

Very well done â€" please continue the project!
I like the style and I want to go through the whole story  :D

straydogstrut

Wonderful looking game, loved the demo :)

Re the shadows: Without getting too off topic, i'd like to draw attention to the rotting corpse of one of Monkey's old answers here. That was about making a blacklight effect showing an alternate background through a shape such as the light from a lantern. With only a minor tweak to his brain dump, it works flawlessly for me - he is that good ;)

I wonder if something similar could be adapted to display a character like your shadow instead? This is beyond me though and you'd be best to start a new topic in Beginner's Technical Questions about this..

Back on topic: Give me a shout if you need any help with proof reading your English translations. Not that I can read Spanish very well, as I only know a little, but if I get the gist of it I could try to help you with the English equivalent.

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

pabloppp

Thank you very much Straydogstrut, I'm going to make a new post in the Beginner's Technical Questions about that, and I'm also going to start working on the real game!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk