Mittens 2012 Anaheim - August 24-31 - Dave G was there!

Started by Disco, Wed 21/03/2012 15:42:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco

About this Project:

A summer holiday adventure in beautiful Downtown Anaheim, California. Mittens is the annual real-life meeting for adventure game creators mostly from the AGS community.

The location will be the unparalleled Ultimate SoCal Vacation Homes â€" Garden Retreat II.

Arrival Times:

Arriving by car - ETA at Mittens house 17:00
Disco
Esseb
AGA
Jen

ProgZMax - 06:30 at Anaheim Amtrak Station
Dave - 14:57 at SNA, United Airlines 1010
Janet - 14:57 at SNA, United Airlines 1010
Snarky - 18:57 at LAX, US Airways 701
Abstauber - 21:25 at SNA, United Airlines 1177
Christina - 21:25 at SNA, United Airlines 1177
Grundislav - 22:30 at LAX, American Airlines 629
Misja

Snarky

QuoteFriday, March 26th

You might want to change that to "Monday, March 26th".  :)

THIS MONDAY, PEOPLE! Make your payments now!

Disco

Hah! Thanks for catching that. The Kickstarter I based this off ends on a Friday XD

abstauber

Miez

Dave Gilbert

Dutifully paid! Sent you $470 for Janet and myself.

AGA

Paid for me and Jen. Bagsy the master bedroom, since nobody else seems to have done that yet.

Snarky

I've been looking at flights, and thought it might be good to coordinate a bit.

It seems like coming from Europe, most flights are going to arrive at SNA (20 mins from house) or LAX (45 mins from house) in the late afternoon or evening, though if you can get a direct flight to LAX from Heathrow, Amsterdam or Paris, you can get in around noon or 1PM.

Is anyone coming earlier? I was wondering if it was worth arriving Thursday afternoon and going out to the house earlier on Friday. (Last group there always gets the worst beds.) I'll probably stick around for the Saturday after, anyway. And looking at the price of flying there, I'm considering taking another week to do something somewhere in America, to get maximum value for money (either before or after). Maybe drive down to Mexico and check out the drug war.

Grundislav

I was planning on flying in on Friday evening, so I wouldn't have to take an extra day off work. I was seeing some flights into LAX that get there around 8pm.

Disco

Some of us are planning a road trip down from Seattle. I hope to reach LAX sometime around early afternoon the first day of Mittens.

We cannot check in before 5pm, so getting beds should be fine. So far there are not enough attendees to warrant getting the air mattresses out, we might not get to that point.

Speaking of beds, it should be noted that we have three couples so far, and there are three bedrooms meant for only two people. Those should be considered taken now. Left are two rooms of various numbers of bunk beds, and the pullouts in the living and game rooms.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Will people be around if I book it to show up early Friday morning?  I've not been to Anaheim before (I've been to San Diego) so I don't really have a good concept of where things are in relation to each other, particularly the amtrak station and the property.

Also, I'm toying with the idea of bringing along an Army of Darkness tabletop rping rulebook (or Call of Cthulhu...or All Flesh Must Be Eaten).  Would anyone have an interest in getting a tabletop game going at some point during the event with any of the above?  I have everything needed to play so you won't need anything except maybe some pens and paper.  Please let me know via pm if you're interested and which one of these you'd rather I brought.  

For a quick breakdown, Army of Darkness plays like an interactive movie (either the original movie or a custom scenario) that allows 1-2 people to play 'Chosen Ones' like Ash (or you could be Ash if you wanted), 2-4 people play as Heroes (basically Lord Arthur or Duke Henry), and 2-4 people as Primitive Screwheads (basically low tier characters).  Each tier serves a purpose in the game.  AoD uses limited dice roles and supports special moves (chainsaw slurree) and Drama Points to liven things up.  Drama points basically allow you to interrupt certain catastrophic events (at the leisure of the game master) like your death, giving yourself a couple dice rolls worth of hitpoints to simulate a second wind or 'it's only a flesh wound' type situation (and a lot of other circumstances provided you can justify it).  Likewise, you earn Drama points for witty one-liners, critical successes that result in deadites being blasted to guts, and so on.  It's the most relaxed and the shortest of the 3.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten is a Zombie Infection scenario using the same basic ruleset of Army of Darkness except that it eschews Drama points in favor of a more robust dice rolling system (a little closer to D&D).  The setting can be anything from post-apocalypse with mutants to space stations in the future and allows for seat-of-the-pants gaming much like Army of Darkness.

Edit:  Ken is interested in playing this.

Call of Cthulhu is one of the more cerebral tabletop games on the market and while it supports combat roles it is designed primarily for exploration and puzzle solving (much like an adventure game).  The game routinely pits you against Lovecraftian horrors that aren't going to die from a couple of bullets so instead your characters will study arcane rites and learn the weaknesses of your enemies while fighting to keep your sanity.  Sanity is the most important part of the game as it determines your character's ongoing behavior and you can go batshit insane in the game if you stare into the abyss one too many times.

Anyway, this is just a thought so don't feel like you have to participate, it just sounded like it could be something fun to do.  If I get 3-4 pms interested I'll bring along the materials.

Snarky

Yeah, I could be into that. And if you find a way of incorporating foosball into the game, it might turn out to be my favorite thing ever. (I'm more into the freeform RPGs than the heavy stats-and-dice-rolls ones.)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

All three are pretty much dice-light so just choose whichever setting interests you most (comedy horror/deadites, survival horror/zombies, cerebral horror/lovecraft).  As for integrating foosball...if a situation comes up where it seems like a good way of resolving a situation, who knows?  :)

Some notes about the property:

I contacted the owners and they have told me it will be accessible at 3 pm; however, after 11:30 am you can stop by and drop off any gear you have if you are early.

As I'll be arriving in Anaheim at 7am I'll have quite a long wait so I wanted to know exactly when I'd be able to get into the house.

Pumaman

Good work getting things organised, guys!

I'm a maybe at the moment, as I have a wedding to attend on 25th August, but I may come down and join you on 26/27th for the second half of the week!

Dave Gilbert

Hey everyone! Janet and I have been rejiggering our plans, so we should be able to stay the whole week. So Disco, bagsy us one of them "for two people" rooms!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

A friend of mine might be coming along, so I'll be able to drive there instead of take the train.  He's actually a lurker since 2007 or so and he's posted a couple of times (he even worked with me on a game for awhile but lost interest) so he's not someone pulled out of nowhere.

Also, I've decided to bring All Flesh Must Be Eaten as Snarky, Janet, Disco (and my friend) have illustrated interest in playing it.  I'm sure a couple more of you will get in on it when you see us having fun slaughtering zombies (I can safely bring in 6 players for the adventure(s) I have, and I might be able to work in 1 or 2 more if you're really interested).

That's enough of me hogging the thread for now.  I'll update if/when my friend Paul makes a decision.

Disco

*nevermind*

Disco

Hello again.

This is your One Month warning for the final payment, people! The amount we are supposed to pay this time is $2,350, which is still based on 20 attendees.

Thankfully, since we are at the minimum attendees right now, we are only on the hook for either ourselves or as many more people that will show in the end. The managers will adjust the fee for each person less.

As of right now, those of us who have already paid will have to pay in another $40 if there are no new attedees. This amount decreases slightly for each person toward 20, at which point no one will owe any extra.

tzachs

Man, I wish I could come this year too..  :'(

Have fun, guys!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

But Ken, didn't you just say they'd decrease the price for each person under 20?  I guess I'm not sure where you're getting the $40 extra charge per person from.

Disco

The base rent is $3,100 for 12 people + $200 for cleaning. The cost per additional person is $175 for the week. We had 20 people wanting to come, making the rent $4,700.

I told the owner after a few weeks of collecting that we may not get the numbers we stated initially. She said not to worry as we will only be charged for the number of people we have in the end, not how much we promised.

No matter what happens, we must pay $3,300. I was simply warning that if no one else comes, the new rent for the twelve of us will be $275, hence the $40.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I booked my train tickets today, so barring any delays I will be arriving in Anaheim at 6:45 am on Friday and leaving at 8 pm the following Friday, just in case anyone else will be arriving early and want to meet up before the house opens.  As I recall, we can drop our stuff off at 11:30 am because that is when the cleaners will arrive.  As they have no one else booked for the week before it would be nice if they'd clean it the day before or something but I guess this is how they do things.  :)

Disco

It looks like we won't have any more people join in before the final payment is due in 20 days, so we should start planning for how to make up the difference.

$3,300 is the total for 12 people. $2,885 has already been sent in, leaving a difference of $415 which unfortunately needs to be shared by everyone who has already paid.

I will email the owner to let her know about the number change and see if that impacts anything at all. From what I gather from previous conversations with her, it is possible we can add people after the due date. However, it could get a little complicated (but not impossible) to equalise the costs between all of us if we do that.

Disco

Hello again.

Just a quick update to let you know that I, in cooperation with Grundislav, sent in the final payment just now. We are now 100% legal!

I had a telephone conversation with the owner, and she confirmed that we can always add people after this time. Whether it is simply taken from the security deposit or a separate payment made at the time of commitment, no problems.

As for the twelve of us, it is time to start planning our transportations. We will need either three cars (4 each), or possibly one car and one van (5 and 7 respectively). I guess it will come down to a price/comfort threshhold.

One car is already spoken for as we have a small roadtrip that is coming from San Francisco, so just need one or two more drivers that are willing to brave the congested streets of Los Angeles. I see two larger-city drivers on the list (that I know of), so be warned that I am officially calling you out!

CARS!

Car #1:
Kenneth
Cato
Berian
Jennifer H

Car #2:
Dave
Janet
X
X

Convertible:
Grundislav
X
X
X

Dave Gilbert

Janet and I will be renting a car, so add us to the list.

Snarky

I'd be willing to drive, but I actually can't find my driver's license. :P
If I do locate it, I'll let you know.

abstauber

That reminds me to apply for an international drivers licence. Is it so much trouble to drive through LA? The only bigger city I frequently drive through is Hamburg.

That roadtrip is post-mittens activity, right?

Oh.. and Christina and I apply for a double bedroom as well :)

Disco

Quote from: abstauber on Sat 26/05/2012 07:23:07
That reminds me to apply for an international drivers licence. Is it so much trouble to drive through LA? The only bigger city I frequently drive through is Hamburg.

It has a reputation for being very congested and freeways usually packaged at certain hours since apparently everyone drives. I have never been though so going purely on public knowledge. We will be in a more suburban area from the looks of things, so won't be too bad I'm sure.

That roadtrip is post-mittens activity, right?

It is the weekdays leading up to Mittens. We are flying into SF and leaving for Anaheim on check-in day.

Oh.. and Christina and I apply for a double bedroom as well :)

Yep :) you are one of the three couples that are occupying the private rooms. Berian and Jen have assumed control over the Master bedroom though, which is fitting now that he is Mittens King in the absence of CJ.

AGA

I've always been the Mittens King.  CJ is my Queen.

I've been to LA twice, and it's horrible to drive.  However, Anaheim is actually half an hour south of central LA, so it shouldn't be quite as bad once you get there.

MillsJROSS

I may possibly add myself to this list, but we're looking to move out of Florida in the next couple of months, and so I wasn't sure how available I or my money would be. I'll have to find out after I get new a job.

I do want to attend, though. Partially, because it's been too long since I've seen some of yous, but also because any other year I would jump at the chance to go to a Mittens in the U.S.

Grundislav

I am renting a convertible.  Anyone who wants to be in the cool ride can apply within!

abstauber

Ah bummer. We're landing on the check-in day at Santa-Ana Airport. So our roadtrip will be post mittens - but hey, until then I can listen to all your gruesome LA driving stories :D

Btw. can anyone recommend a good car-rental company?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Grundislav

So it looks like there will be 12 of us, which is a nice manageable number, especially considering the activities I am about to propose:

I suggest we attend a taping of Conan and/or The Late Show with Craig Ferguson.  Tickets for both are free, but they have to be requested in advance, and I know Conan's are done on a lottery system, allowing 4 tickets per person requesting.  We'll need 2 other people to request tickets if all 12 of us are interested in going.  Dates haven't opened up yet for Conan in August yet, but I assume they will soon, as tickets are currently available to the end of July.

Tickets for Conan

Tickets for Craig Ferguson

Apparently the Late Show tickets are only available the week before, so we'll have to do that closer to the date.

Snarky

Yeah, I'm all for that. Personally I'd prefer Ferguson's Late Late Show, which I watch occasionally.

AGA

As for other activities, as we'll be in Anaheim Disneyland seems a given.  And of course LA is full of famous sights and activities, so we could spend a few days doing stuff there.

It's $87.00 for a one day, one park ticket.  Which is kinda steep, but Disneyland is awesome.

Esseb

Sure, I'd attend either, no preference though, both should be fun.

And Disneyland is awesome.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I hate talk shows with a passion and don't really feel like paying Disneyland's gouging price of admission (ie, I'm not made of money) so I'll probably just play pool or something at the house during those events.  Hopefully something more interesting will come up along the way, like a trip to the beach, sailing/boating/salt water fishing or something like that would be more my speed.

Some suggestions:  Wild Rivers Waterpark or Raging Waters waterpark (in San Dimas! Wyld Stallyns rule!), Huntington/Laguna Beach, Discovery Science Center, Universal Studios, and so on.

I happened to find out that there is a year-around deal offered for both san diego and los angeles where you pay one fee ($60 for san diego and $74 for los angeles) to receive an all-access pass to most of the star tourist attractions.  Check it out:

http://www.smartdestinations.com/losangeles-attractions-and-tours/template.ep?prod=Lax_Prod_Goemplate=aff/productAlt&dest=Lax&img=45&kbid=4160&utm_source=myapp&utm_medium=AFF

http://www.smartdestinations.com/sandiego-attractions-and-tours/template.ep?prod=Sdo_Prod_Goemplate=aff/productAlt&dest=Sdo&img=45&kbid=4160&utm_source=myapp&utm_medium=AFF

These let you in to places like legoland, aquariums, museums, to watch the whales at newport beach, and so on, all for one price and for one day.  I'm sure we could find enough of these activities that most people would want to engage in to justify the purchases...I mean come on, legoland :)

AGA

Universal Studios tickets cost $88 dollars, ProgZ.  So actually more than Disney's "gouging price of admission".

It's not necessarily worth getting one of those visitor cards, as you won't always get your money's worth, unless you want to run from destination to destination without spending long checking each one out.  But I'm sure we can work out whether it's worth doing or not closer to the time.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Universal studios is included if you buy one of the package card deals or I wouldn't have even mentioned it (I don't particularly care about Universal one way or the other) ;).  I'm not above paying 109 or so for a 2 day pass because of the value and would mean we wouldn't have to 'run from destination to destination' as you said, I just posted this information in case some people might want to get more bang for their buck while they're there; plus, it's a good way to learn about the different attractions because it lists well known and obscure spots.

Also, I think there are similar deals for other cities in the area but I couldn't find one for Anaheim (not surprising since there aren't a lot of attractions there).  If someone can find some coupons/deals/discounts to some cool places in the area be sure to share them!

As I mentioned somewhere I've been to San Diego before so there are some places I can help people decide on if they're on the fence. 

Grundislav

How much driving/traveling are we planning on doing?  I ask this because while I would like to rent a convertible, I am debating it now because I don't want to spend $400+ for it if we're just going to be in the house the majority of the week.  L.A. is one of those "need a car to get anywhere" cities, so it's a given that we'll be needing to go get food and stuff, but will we be doing more than just the basic outings for necessities?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Dunno, but if I'm riding about with you I'll certainly give you some money.  San Diego has more 'bang for the buck' in terms of places to go and see but you still have to drive around.  I'm all for beachcombing/museums or whatever sounds fun, but I'm also all for hanging around the house playing pool/foosball/swimming so I'm probably not the best person to respond.

Maybe you should opt for a cheaper rental just to save yourself some $?

Have a look at these, just in case:
http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dll?qscr=cars&dagv=1&subm=1&fdrp=0&locn=Anaheim%2C+Orange+County&date1=08/24/2012&date2=08/31/2012&vend=&kind=1ime1=630ime2=630typ=2&acop=2&rdct=1

Disco

Making the most of our time and the rental is fine by me. Personally I would like to visit the Natural History museum, a couple galleries, and do at least a beach or two. San Diego could be a good daytrip as well. We should still have plenty of time to enjoy the house and the pool in the morning and at night at the very least.

Miez

Miez

So here's an idea ... (and I know this has probably been suggested many, many times before for previous Mittenses): seeing as we will be together for a week with a talented bunch of game makers, why don't we organize a 1 or 2 day game jam? See if we can make a game (or hell, a couple of them) at Mittens '12?

Silly idea? Too much work? Discuss!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Miez- if you do the backgrounds I'll do the characters  :-D

Disco

Miez

I can do backgrounds, animation, puzzle/story design and real shitty voice acting  :-D

Grundislav

Snarky

I can do lots of things nowhere near as well as other people who'll be there!

AGA

Disco

AGA

Grundislav

AGA

You're pale and unaccented enough to pass, you'll be okay.  For the week you will be Bob White, as your real name is clearly far too Cuban.

Miez

Haha, I was going to post the same clip... well, looks like we won't get bored in Anaheim :)

Snarky

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

We're not 'The Fuzz' so it should be okay.  If all else fails, EXTENDED POOL PARTY!

Snarky

We'll flip the bitch!

[embed=425,349]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/giaBe-yXDOY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

abstauber

Just wondering: does anyone bring music instruments like a guitar? *looks at non-flying attendees*

Disco

RE: Craig Ferguson or Conan O'Brien tapings

Today I received confirmation for four tickets to a taping of Conan on Tuesday the 28th. Grundy tried to do the same but was not allocated any in the end. These tickets are guaranteed as long as we arrive before entry is closed.

We were a bit luckier with Craig Ferguson ticket requests, which is my preference of the two so I am quite excited for that! Between the two of us, we managed to get 8 ticket reservations for Wednesday the 29th. The catch is that they are not completely guaranteed because they slightly overbook the reservations, but we do have an edge. Apparently we were among the first to reserve, most likely because there are no guests posted yet, so our tickets are in a "priority" category. This means we will be able to check in a half hour before the General tickets are allowed to. At this point we are virtually guaranteed entry, but only if we arrive on time and do not miss the Priority admission times.

Who all is up for this? So far it looks like we have myself, Grundislav, Snarky, and Esseb who expressed interest. Shall we do both? Skip one in favour of the other?

Ferguson:
1. Grundislav
2. Disco
3. Snarky
4. Esseb
5. Abstauber
6. Christina
7. AGA
8. Jen

Edit: Thanks Gunnar! If you got Priority tickets, than anyone who wishes can go now.

Snarky

I'll be arriving at 06:57 PM, LAX (US Airways 701). Is ProgZ really showing up at 6:30 in the morning? Long day of waiting, no?

I'd probably only be up for one of the tapings, preferably Ferguson. Maybe some people could go to one and some to the other?

abstauber

Christina and I arrive at 09:25 PM (UA 1177) at the John Wayne airport. I suppose after checkout and finding a way to get the mittens refuge it'll be around 11:00 PM. Btw: anyone else arrives that late? Maybe we could share a cab then ;)

As for the tapings: yay, interest hereby expressed! Since we don't have a car, we'll be happy with anything you guys take us to (but preferably it's Craig Ferguson)

AGA

Esseb

Grundislav

By my count, that's all 8 spaces for Craig Ferguson claimed.  If anyone else wants to come, we'll need to secure another set of tickets.

Dirk: I get in at 10:30pm and am driving from LAX, so if you and your wife need a ride, I can come pick you two up at the airport.  I checked and it takes about 45 minutes to get from LAX to SNA (it seems to take 45 minutes to get ANYWHERE in the Greater Los Angeles area) so that should be enough time to overlap.

Disco

No worries about that, I can come pick you guys up a bit sooner than Grundislav arriving about an hour later and driving from further away.

I think that leaves Snarky arriving at almost 7 to pick up, as well as the currently unknown Miez arrival. We can plan a shuttle service better once all the times are in.

Snarky

I've requested 4 more Ferguson tickets in case any of the others want to come along too. If you all leave me at the airport, you can't have them!

Miez

I'll be arriving a day early - august 23, 15:05 on BA 283 - and staying overnight at the LAX Travelodge hotel. Sleeping off the pre-Mittens jetlag :D
Probably making my way to the villa by train on the 24th - the Anaheim Amtrak station is quite near the house, I gather?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

It is about a 25 minute walk, though there's also a bus line running straight down S. St. College Blvd that stops within about 10 minutes of the house.  I'll be arriving on the amtrak at 6:52 am so if you arrive at around the same time we could just hang out in a nearby coffee shop until 12 pm when the villa opens or whatever.  I still think Ken's going to arrive at around 8 am or so.

AGA

8pm, possibly.  We're not leaving San Francisco at midnight!

Snarky

Just to let you know that I got another 4 tickets for Craig Ferguson, so we have enough for all of us (though I know ProgZ at least said he wasn't interested).

Disco

Did you get priority tickets? If so, we can rest assured that we can get in.

Because of traffic concerns in the area we'll be going, I suggest we go out in the morning and visit Hollywood, so we will at least be in the area and have less of a chance of being caught in traffic and missing the show. LA's Thai Town is in the Hollywood outskirts. Pre-show lunch there?

Snarky

AGA

I was hoping we'd get a chance to do the tourist thing in Hollywood at some point anyway, so spending all day there sounds good.

MillsJROSS

So...I totally am not going this year, despite past years promises to make any Mittens in America.

I got a new job, can afford to go, but I don't have the vacation time built up yet.

Oh well. If any of you have a layover in Austin, let me know.

-MillsJROSS

abstauber

Just a small question from the first time us traveller: Will trainers be sufficient or will there be occasions where I should bring leather/serious shoes?

Grundislav

L.A. is not a walking city, we will be driving everywhere, but I don't think serious leather shoes are a must unless you want to go someplace fancy.  If you want to bring them along, fine, but if not I wouldn't say they are a necessity.  I myself am only bringing one pair of Vans and some sandals.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I was thinking of bringing along a pair of those slip-on swim shoes but I wasn't sure if it was worth the bother.  I'm already going to have to switch from the small suitcase I was going to bring to a duffelbag, probably.

abstauber

Great, so I can save a few pounds then :) I just was a bit worried that they'll demand a certain dresscode at Craig Ferguson's.

In the meantime I've been wondering about this: Besides towels, do we also need to bring bed linen?

Grundislav

Ah, right.  I forgot about that.  The ticket says dress code is "nice casual," as though you were going on a movie date.  I assume that just means no tank tops and shorts with flip flops.

Also, the house website says towels and linens are included, so pretty much just bring your clothes.

Snarky

Quote from: Grundislav on Tue 21/08/2012 16:09:38
I assume that just means no tank tops and shorts with flip flops.

:shocked: I guess I'll have to repack, then...

Final laundry night before Mittens tonight! Oh yeah! If it doesn't get washed tonight, I'm not wearing it... or I'll wear it anyway.

Anything else we're going to need? Anyone planning any movies for which we should bring particular costumes or props? Any devices or cables needed for showing off games or such?
Any arts & crafts stuff to keep us entertained? (I'll bring some color pencils, at least.) Anyone want me to bring some Swiss chocolate/cheese/watches/bank accounts?

Oh, I just remembered that there are usually prizes for the Mittens quiz. Amazon has been sending me duplicates of a bunch of orders lately, so I'll bring along some of those.

Disco

For your packing information:

"...we provide shampoo, conditioner, and soap in all of the showers, liquid soap at all sinks, toilet paper, a starter roll of paper towels, dish soap, dishwasher soap, cleaning wipes, and air freshener. The kitchen is stocked with basic spices and condiments in the refrigerator. We have a coffee pot, multiple toasters, a pancake griddle, waffle iron, hand mixer, rice cooker and crock-pot. All linens, pillows, bath and pool towels are provided."

Grundislav

No movies this year!  I haven't even done much with last year's.

I think we should be okay for stuff to bring, although Swiss chocolate would be appreciated ;)

abstauber

Oops, sorry guys - I should have read the fine manual. I just haven't expected the information to be on the website itself.

Miez

I'm bringing a small collection of arts and crafts materials ...

Snarky

I just got a reminder to print out the tickets for the Late Late Show. So that probably applies to you too, Kenneth and Francisco, if you didn't get/ignored the notification.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I didn't even think to ask if the house provided bathing stuff, and now I have all these color-coded bottles with shampoo and stuff in them...Well, I suppose I'll bring them now that I've gone to the trouble of packing them.

I do seem to recall some mention of the house having wifi...or did I imagine that?  As far as movies and stuff goes, I think I've got an hdmi cable I can hook up to my acer to play (or record) movies unless someone else has better ideas.  I have a 16 gb card I was just going to throw crap on for my trip there, anyway.  Note:  my latest update to shitscream sandwich has made ags for android twitchy on music support, and this makes me sad :(.

If any of you happen to have a ps vita and would bring it along for me to check it out that would be very nice as well since my gp2x bricked and I'm looking for a suitable replacement.

Francisco- I don't have any fancy chocolate for you but I will have some pistachios.

And for Snarky, Janet, and Ken (and random people who are non-commital), I haven't forgotten AFMBE.  The books are all loaded up in my satchel case and damn if they don't just about dominate it (p&p games have a lot of books, people)!  And I've brought along enough dice to literally choke a mule.

abstauber

I'd rather bring this up again, before everyone's on the way: Airport Shuttle :) So Ken or one of the 5pm arrivals is going to pick us up at SNA? That would be super cool :)

@ProgZ: Maybe the CyanogenMod project has a matching release for your device. The one they offer for my cellphone is just plain awesome (had Froyo before with no upgrades provided from Moto).

Snarky

Yes, how are we going to organize that? Am I waiting 3.5 hours at LAX for Grundislav? (There is a risk I will collapse from jet lag in that case.)

Unfortunately I still can't find my driver's license, and I think it might have expired anyway, so I can't add to our vehicle fleet.

Grundislav

I've got no problem taking Snarky, but 3.5 hours at an airport is a long time to wait.  Dave and Ken will both have cars and both have arrived by the time both Dirk, Christina, and Gunnar get in, so I guess one could go to each airport?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Miez- if you want to meet at LAX station to share the ride to Anaheim (I believe you'll be there for the 6:15 am train) you'll be able to tell me by the glasses and tan outback hat I'll be wearing.  I should be easy to spot with it on :).

Oh, and if any one of you could bring a micro hdmi out cable that would be awesome.  I'm bringing along some movies but I didn't have time to get a cable ;(.

Pumaman

Hey guys,

Sorry I've been so absent lately and sorry that I can't make it to Mittens this year.

I just wanted to say, I hope you all have a great time and find somewhere suitably inappropriate to sing Bohemian Rhapsody.

Hopefully see you all next time!

CJ

Miez

I'm there. I'm in the Los of the Angeles! In some shady backwater hotel near LAX. So yeah, Progz - I can meet you at LAX tomorrow, but if you're talking about 6:15 AM then nooooo ... I need to finish my continental breakfast first. :D I could be there between 9 and 10 AM.

And it's a phenomenal shame you're not coming Chris. Won't be the same without you!

Snarky

Dave Gilbert

Heading out to the airport in a bit. Unfortunately, we had a bit of an emergency with our dog so Janet is staying home to take care of him for a few days. She'll be flying into LA to join us on Monday. See y'all later!

Dave Gilbert

Sorry to sound dense, but is there an actual address for this place? Something I can plug into a GPS? I tried looking on the website, but I can't find it there. There's a map, but when I zoomed in on it to see the street, it points to an area with no street. :-/

I'm going to assume that it's at the end of E. Olmstead Way. If not, look for some frantic texts/PMs from me. :)

-Dave

edit: Never mind, I'm a moron. I see it now. :) See you this afternoon!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

after the first train had some engine problems I'm finally on the way to anaheim.  Not really sure about places around the station but I hear there is a cafe or something so I'll see what happens.

Miez

Trying to find my way from LAX to anaheim. If anybody needs to reach me, try email or whatsapp as my phone has no connection here (but, wheee: free WiFi at LAX)

Tabata

Wishing you all a great time!

Have a lot of fun and don't forget to tell us about everything right away   

We are waiting  :wink:

Miez

Got me a shuttle ride. I'll be at the house in an hour.:D

Grundislav

I'm waiting to board my flight. See you all soon!

Any initial reports from those already there?

Miez

It's a nice house with some truly huge 2-person beds! The neighborhood reminds me of the one the house in Ireland was in. With extra palmtrees.

Peder 🚀

Quote from: Tabata on Fri 24/08/2012 17:09:45
Have a lot of fun and don't forget to tell us about everything right away   

We are waiting  :wink:

There is supposed to be a 24/7 live feed from the house isn't it? :=

Miez

DutchMarco

Wish I'd be there!

OK, I'll stay home (again...) if you guys and galls promise to have a ball without me! :grin:

Awww, missing Mittens is bad enough as it is, but Mittens in California must have some extra special cachet!

Just a quick tip for any-non-Americans (who complained about the heat in Florida): the most pleasant climate in all of the US is to be experienced in the autumn, or in San Francisco (all year round), so bring deodorant, or it will be a rerun of MiaMittens in that respect.

Have fun all!

DutchMarco

Quote from: Grundislav on Fri 24/08/2012 23:44:50
I'm waiting to board my flight. See you all soon!
The pilot is now waiting for you to turn off electronics so the plane can take off!

m0ds

Have a great time lads, ladies, Jordan's & gentlemen!

Enjoy LA :)

Miez

We saw Kurt yesterday in Big Trouble in Little China. Let's just say it didn't age well - still hilarious though :D

m0ds

Good old K-Ru! The underground conspiracy theorists are murmuring about an unusual increase in seismic activity in Cali at the moment, have you guys broken America already?

Miez

We'll try some coordinated jumping up-and-down in Disneyworld today. See if we can break California and float it off into the Pacific :D

Snarky

About two thirds of Mittens are now out cruising around Hollywood, while the rest of us are back here, either in the pool or headed there. Very sorry for all the regulars who couldn't make it this year, particularly Chris Jones. It's not really Mittens without you, man!

Andail

Sounds like you're having a great time! Really wish I could be there.

Snarky

Dave Gilbert

Mittens is winding down! Had a great time, despite getting stupidly sick on my last day. :( If any of you catch it, think of it as a parting gift.

AGA

Jen and I have made it back alive.  And without catching Dave's death cold!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I am back also and officially a Mittendee.  It was good to finally place faces and behaviors with people, particularly Miez and Esseb who I have had criminally low contact with until now.

High points:  Meatballs, demo night, meyer, the ocean, Star Tours!, shooting Emperor Zerg with my trusty Wingman Francisco McShootygun and a relaxing drive with Ken through Mr. Toad's neighborhood.

Low points:  Massive foot blisters + walking all day, LA gridlock and repeatedly getting lost in the maze of freeways, waiting for over an hour after a charter bus hit Ken's car.  Not being able to make a game with Misja :(.

All in all, I had an enjoyable time.  Excelsior!

Peder 🚀

Tabata

Andail

Even us more important people demand photos. Not necessarily of Prog's foot blisters, though.

Snarky

I'm back and awake after falling asleep almost the moment I got home. Unfortunately that means I'm almost exactly 12 hours out of sync with local time...

Zurich is cold and rainy, a perfect contrast with Anaheim. The Coca-Cola is neither Mexican nor with Rum. My apartment has no pool.  >:(
I hum Bohemian Rhapsody softly to myself.

'Twas a great Mittens in most ways, I thought. Nice to meet the new (to me) people; Dave, Janet, Christina and Shane; and to see the other old friends again. All group activities were like herding cats, but then they always are. Only thing I really regret is getting sunburned on the first day so I had to stay in the shade or inside for the rest of the week. It was over all too soon!

Sorry to leave the cleaning to the rest of you, and sorry I didn't get to say goodbye to Dave and Janet. I didn't even know you were sick, Dave. Hope you get better! Thanks to Francisco for getting up at an ungodly hour to give me a lift to LAX.

To those Mitteneers working on various games (whether they demoed them or not), I hope you got inspiration and motivation to make progress. I know I did!

See you all (ALL!) next year in Germany!

abstauber

We've just arrived at Laguna Beach (yay, free Wifi), so I can finally leave a message here :)
Thanks for the great time, thanks for the hosting and super special thanks to Ken, Francisco and Dave for driving us all over LA.

Btw. yesterday we almost spend 12 hours in Disneyland, Zip-a-dee-doo-dah  :=

Disco

After a lovely drive up and a night spent at the Hotel Fiesta Backseat, I made it to San Francisco just fine and am now at SFO waiting for my flight to Minneapolis. Will hopefully be home in about 8 hours. Updates and possibly a photo or two tonight or tomorrow :D

Andail

DoorKnobHandle

Next time in Germany, is that what I'm hearing? If so, SWEET! Finally I might be able to make it! :)

Can't wait for pics, going through Mittens photos has almost become a yearly tradition to me, sounds like it was a blast!

Miez

After the longest train ride of my life (34 hours - I make no jokes) I have arrived in Seattle. A proper city, not like the freeway spaghetti/palmtrees/sad concrete buildings mess that is most of LA :D
I had a great time this Mittens ... it may have been a little more quiet and laid back but we did some truly awesome things and I had a blast seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones. Also: hat shaped birthday cake and atomic fireballs. Wow.

Next year Germany? I'm so there :D

cat

Good to hear you all had a great time! Next year Germany? I'm in!

Dave Gilbert

A normal day at Mittens, wrestling tentacle monsters in the pool.

Grundislav

Hooray Mittens!  A slight change of pace this year, but a great one nonetheless.  Good seeing all the old faces and meeting the new ones.  I return home with a very pronounced California tan and jet lag.  Oh well, back to work.  See you next year!

Igor Hardy

Quote from: dkh on Sun 02/09/2012 16:27:27
Next time in Germany, is that what I'm hearing? If so, SWEET! Finally I might be able to make it! :)

Oh, that would be great! I'd probably make it too then.

m0ds

Glad to hear it was fun, pics or didn't happen x2! That could be Dave in his private rooftop pool for all I know!!! :) If both Igor and Bicilotti go next year I will definitely be there, because they both look like the same goddamn person and I respect that! Shigaddy shigaddy shwa!

LimpingFish

Hooray for Mittens! I was sad not to make it this year, but I'm definitely up for Germany. Somewhere in the Black Forest region would be extra awesome.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

AGA

The Black Forest is quite hard to access unfortunately.  Unless lots of people are willing to drive from civilisation, of course.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Here are my photos.  I meant to take more videos but at least you get one.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/86564054@N05/

AGA

Forum titles are now up to date.  Although I've changed them, since I was running out of options.  Good luck working out what they mean!

m0ds

Dude, they are all messed up still :P

AGA is
Mittens Marquess
Mittens Monarch
Mittens Monarch

Progz is
Mittens Serf
AGS Project Admins
Mittens Marquess
Mittens Monarch

I am
Mittens Founder
Mittens Marquess

:P

AGA

The messedupedness isn't related to the actual titles people have set, it's a bug in the overall forums titles system.  I'll fix it eventually!  Rest assured you actually all have the correct titles in theory though!

LimpingFish

Quote from: AGA on Wed 05/09/2012 14:10:32
Rest assured you actually all have the correct titles in theory though!

And yet...I'VE STILL NOT GOT MINE! >:(

Excuse me while I go bite down on this rubber brick. Grrrr!

AGA

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 06/09/2012 00:37:57
Quote from: AGA on Wed 05/09/2012 14:10:32
Rest assured you actually all have the correct titles in theory though!

And yet...I'VE STILL NOT GOT MINE! >:(

Excuse me while I go bite down on this rubber brick. Grrrr!

For some reason you and Monsieur OUXX didn't have a title.  Apparently CJ hates the Irish and French?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: AGA on Thu 06/09/2012 07:45:16
For some reason you and Monsieur OUXX didn't have a title.  Apparently CJ hates the Irish and French?

It's OK, I added my title myself last year ;-)

<------------

I don't consider myself "initiate" now :) I'll be when I come to the next Mittens (in Germany *lobbying*) and actually speak to people (that requires not breaking my computer the very first day).
Oh, and you're right. CJ *is* a hater ;) He almost started a pub fight.

AGA

As is so often the case with programming, it took only one line of code to fix the custom titles overlap problem thing.  They should all work now!

Snarky

Hmmm... the moment AGA become Mittens Monarch, he changes all the titles to a feudal system.  (wtf)

AGA

It's either this, or I be a Mittens deity under the old system, and I thought that was slightly presumptuous.  Although supposedly Catholic kings were God's representatives, so there may be no difference...  Either way, you try coming up with 11 increasing ranks, it's quite hard!  It's either this, or we be military, or police, or something equally martial.

Andail

Quote from: AGA on Thu 06/09/2012 21:14:15
It's either this, or I be a Mittens deity under the old system, and I thought that was slightly presumptuous.  Although supposedly Catholic kings were God's representatives, so there may be no difference...  Either way, you try coming up with 11 increasing ranks, it's quite hard!  It's either this, or we be military, or police, or something equally martial.

Ehm, the "old" system, if I recall correctly, had titles like "junkie", "addict" and "mittoholic", suggesting that attending mittens meetings were comparable to abusing a substance. God only knows what you'd be in that system. "Sid Mitticious", maybe?

Having said that, I really dig these titles :)

LimpingFish

AGA

Quote from: Andail on Thu 06/09/2012 23:10:13
Quote from: AGA on Thu 06/09/2012 21:14:15

Ehm, the "old" system, if I recall correctly, had titles like "junkie", "addict" and "mittoholic", suggesting that attending mittens meetings were comparable to abusing a substance. God only knows what you'd be in that system. "Sid Mitticious", maybe?

Having said that, I really dig these titles :)

It was a weird mix of addiction and faintly religious stuff, with some other random stuff thrown in to fill gaps.  Anyway, we now have order!

tzachs

Quote from: AGA on Thu 06/09/2012 07:45:16
Apparently CJ hates the Irish and French?
Isn't that a trait of all English people?

Anyways, looks like you had a great time, will definitely consider Germany for next year.
Those few leaked photos look sweet, and thank you Fransisco for educating me about Disneyland, finally!
MOARRR photos!!

Miez

Right, I'm back from my extended Mittens-n-more vacation and I've uploaded some pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/miezpiez/sets/72157631469553280/

I also made a couple of short video clips, I'll upload those later...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteEither way, you try coming up with 11 increasing ranks, it's quite hard!  It's either this, or we be military, or police, or something equally martial.

Or just let us write our own with a handy title plugin open to people of the 'mittens' category.

Also, those are some cool photos, Miez.  You have a very fancy camera!

Andail

you and your individualism, Shane, don't you like being part of something bigger?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

NEVER!

Plus, I want to have a game-themed mittens title ;(.  MITTENVANIA!  MITTY ISLAND.  MITROID! 

Or you could just arrange them based on attendence frequency rather than on rank or position, something like

1.  Mittens Inductee
2.  Mittens Hopeful
3.  Mittens ...

It might be fun to have a competition to come up with the best set to use in the comp thread?

Miez

But I thought they were attendance frequency based?

AGA

Snarky

Does anyone have the group photo ( - abstauber and Christina) from Disneyland?

AGA

Did we actually get a 'straight' version of a group photo in the end?

Andail

Is this the total amount of photos we're ever gonna see? What mysterious events took place at Mittens 2012 anyways? Did it happen at all?

Grundislav

I think Esseb took the majority of the photos, as well as Dirk, but he and Christina were taking an extra week of vacation after Mittens so they probably aren't back yet. As for Esseb, he is the one hiding all the juicy Mittens secrets!

AGA

Here are Jen's.  She has insisted I point out that these are all the photos taken, with no kind of quality control.

Oh, and subtract eight hours from the times if you want to know when they were really taken.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

m0ds

Such as close-up Berian, with a wide-angle lens!

No photos of the Nakatomi Plaza? .^^

Grundislav

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

AGA

And the same thing in HD quality, since I downloaded the 720p version:

Unfortunately it seems it's kind of hard to take non blurry screencaps of people who are wildly applauding.

abstauber

Finally managed to upload my photos as well:
http://www.sonores.de/mittens/Mittens_2012_in_Anaheim.html

Btw. how about a "global" Mittens Gallery here on the forums? I think it would be very nice to have those Mittens pics at a place where everyone can find them. 

Esseb

AGA

All the Mittens photos were on the AGS meetings page for the first few years, but I got out of the habit of updating it.  If people want to do as Esseb did and make their previous years' photos available (of provide links if they'd rather keep them on their own hosting), I'll update it.

AGA

Although I do prefer to preserve people's photo comments where they've made a gallery, so people who've done that could just zip up their gallery files and I could move them to the meetings site?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Haha!  I didn't even realize you took photos of us during Clue, Esseb!  That photo makes me strangely sad and now I miss you guys :(

Abstauber, when did you have the time to take all those photos ;o?

Edit:  I don't really know if you can save the captions from a flickr gallery for uploading...if someone wants to tell me how it's done short of just uploading the originals somewhere that would be good.

abstauber

@AGA: Isn't there a way to add an integrated gallery to the forums? This other site looks pretty dated and is a pain to navigate.
@ProgZ: Managing and uploading those was way more time consuming. It's a shame I didn't take any pictures of the Meyer-Session ;)

Miez

A shame indeed ... there was some industrial grade cheating going on there! :D

AGA

While there are gallery systems for SMF, that would remove the possibility of integrating any previous galleries' comments.  It's a lot easier to change the styling of some HTML pages than to have to retype / copy-paste comments from dozens of different galleries...

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteIt's a shame I didn't take any pictures of the Meyer-Session

Yeah, I'm really regretting not having gotten out my tablet to record more things, but so much of what we did was spur of the moment that it just sort of 'happened'.  Still, it was fun tricking Grundislav into drinking all that rum  ;-D

Esseb

Quote from: AGA on Wed 12/09/2012 20:25:06
Although I do prefer to preserve people's photo comments where they've made a gallery, so people who've done that could just zip up their gallery files and I could move them to the meetings site?

My images contain the comments in the metadata anyway, but I've added an index.html with comments and inline js/css to the zipped album now.

Disco

Hello peoples.

Sure it has been almost three months, but I just remembered that I recorded some audio at Mittens. There are not as many files as the previous year, all the essentials are present though. I hope that they bring back many fond memories :D

Sounds of Mittens 2012

Enjoy the remainder of your Sparkling Sunday!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk