Mittens 2012 Anaheim - August 24-31 - Dave G was there!

Started by Disco, Wed 21/03/2012 15:42:05

Previous topic - Next topic

Disco

The base rent is $3,100 for 12 people + $200 for cleaning. The cost per additional person is $175 for the week. We had 20 people wanting to come, making the rent $4,700.

I told the owner after a few weeks of collecting that we may not get the numbers we stated initially. She said not to worry as we will only be charged for the number of people we have in the end, not how much we promised.

No matter what happens, we must pay $3,300. I was simply warning that if no one else comes, the new rent for the twelve of us will be $275, hence the $40.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I booked my train tickets today, so barring any delays I will be arriving in Anaheim at 6:45 am on Friday and leaving at 8 pm the following Friday, just in case anyone else will be arriving early and want to meet up before the house opens.  As I recall, we can drop our stuff off at 11:30 am because that is when the cleaners will arrive.  As they have no one else booked for the week before it would be nice if they'd clean it the day before or something but I guess this is how they do things.  :)

Disco

It looks like we won't have any more people join in before the final payment is due in 20 days, so we should start planning for how to make up the difference.

$3,300 is the total for 12 people. $2,885 has already been sent in, leaving a difference of $415 which unfortunately needs to be shared by everyone who has already paid.

I will email the owner to let her know about the number change and see if that impacts anything at all. From what I gather from previous conversations with her, it is possible we can add people after the due date. However, it could get a little complicated (but not impossible) to equalise the costs between all of us if we do that.

Disco

Hello again.

Just a quick update to let you know that I, in cooperation with Grundislav, sent in the final payment just now. We are now 100% legal!

I had a telephone conversation with the owner, and she confirmed that we can always add people after this time. Whether it is simply taken from the security deposit or a separate payment made at the time of commitment, no problems.

As for the twelve of us, it is time to start planning our transportations. We will need either three cars (4 each), or possibly one car and one van (5 and 7 respectively). I guess it will come down to a price/comfort threshhold.

One car is already spoken for as we have a small roadtrip that is coming from San Francisco, so just need one or two more drivers that are willing to brave the congested streets of Los Angeles. I see two larger-city drivers on the list (that I know of), so be warned that I am officially calling you out!

CARS!

Car #1:
Kenneth
Cato
Berian
Jennifer H

Car #2:
Dave
Janet
X
X

Convertible:
Grundislav
X
X
X

Dave Gilbert

Janet and I will be renting a car, so add us to the list.

Snarky

I'd be willing to drive, but I actually can't find my driver's license. :P
If I do locate it, I'll let you know.

abstauber

That reminds me to apply for an international drivers licence. Is it so much trouble to drive through LA? The only bigger city I frequently drive through is Hamburg.

That roadtrip is post-mittens activity, right?

Oh.. and Christina and I apply for a double bedroom as well :)

Disco

Quote from: abstauber on Sat 26/05/2012 07:23:07
That reminds me to apply for an international drivers licence. Is it so much trouble to drive through LA? The only bigger city I frequently drive through is Hamburg.

It has a reputation for being very congested and freeways usually packaged at certain hours since apparently everyone drives. I have never been though so going purely on public knowledge. We will be in a more suburban area from the looks of things, so won't be too bad I'm sure.

That roadtrip is post-mittens activity, right?

It is the weekdays leading up to Mittens. We are flying into SF and leaving for Anaheim on check-in day.

Oh.. and Christina and I apply for a double bedroom as well :)

Yep :) you are one of the three couples that are occupying the private rooms. Berian and Jen have assumed control over the Master bedroom though, which is fitting now that he is Mittens King in the absence of CJ.

AGA

I've always been the Mittens King.  CJ is my Queen.

I've been to LA twice, and it's horrible to drive.  However, Anaheim is actually half an hour south of central LA, so it shouldn't be quite as bad once you get there.

MillsJROSS

I may possibly add myself to this list, but we're looking to move out of Florida in the next couple of months, and so I wasn't sure how available I or my money would be. I'll have to find out after I get new a job.

I do want to attend, though. Partially, because it's been too long since I've seen some of yous, but also because any other year I would jump at the chance to go to a Mittens in the U.S.

Grundislav

I am renting a convertible.  Anyone who wants to be in the cool ride can apply within!

abstauber

Ah bummer. We're landing on the check-in day at Santa-Ana Airport. So our roadtrip will be post mittens - but hey, until then I can listen to all your gruesome LA driving stories :D

Btw. can anyone recommend a good car-rental company?

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Grundislav

So it looks like there will be 12 of us, which is a nice manageable number, especially considering the activities I am about to propose:

I suggest we attend a taping of Conan and/or The Late Show with Craig Ferguson.  Tickets for both are free, but they have to be requested in advance, and I know Conan's are done on a lottery system, allowing 4 tickets per person requesting.  We'll need 2 other people to request tickets if all 12 of us are interested in going.  Dates haven't opened up yet for Conan in August yet, but I assume they will soon, as tickets are currently available to the end of July.

Tickets for Conan

Tickets for Craig Ferguson

Apparently the Late Show tickets are only available the week before, so we'll have to do that closer to the date.

Snarky

Yeah, I'm all for that. Personally I'd prefer Ferguson's Late Late Show, which I watch occasionally.

AGA

As for other activities, as we'll be in Anaheim Disneyland seems a given.  And of course LA is full of famous sights and activities, so we could spend a few days doing stuff there.

It's $87.00 for a one day, one park ticket.  Which is kinda steep, but Disneyland is awesome.

Esseb

Sure, I'd attend either, no preference though, both should be fun.

And Disneyland is awesome.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I hate talk shows with a passion and don't really feel like paying Disneyland's gouging price of admission (ie, I'm not made of money) so I'll probably just play pool or something at the house during those events.  Hopefully something more interesting will come up along the way, like a trip to the beach, sailing/boating/salt water fishing or something like that would be more my speed.

Some suggestions:  Wild Rivers Waterpark or Raging Waters waterpark (in San Dimas! Wyld Stallyns rule!), Huntington/Laguna Beach, Discovery Science Center, Universal Studios, and so on.

I happened to find out that there is a year-around deal offered for both san diego and los angeles where you pay one fee ($60 for san diego and $74 for los angeles) to receive an all-access pass to most of the star tourist attractions.  Check it out:

http://www.smartdestinations.com/losangeles-attractions-and-tours/template.ep?prod=Lax_Prod_Goemplate=aff/productAlt&dest=Lax&img=45&kbid=4160&utm_source=myapp&utm_medium=AFF

http://www.smartdestinations.com/sandiego-attractions-and-tours/template.ep?prod=Sdo_Prod_Goemplate=aff/productAlt&dest=Sdo&img=45&kbid=4160&utm_source=myapp&utm_medium=AFF

These let you in to places like legoland, aquariums, museums, to watch the whales at newport beach, and so on, all for one price and for one day.  I'm sure we could find enough of these activities that most people would want to engage in to justify the purchases...I mean come on, legoland :)

AGA

Universal Studios tickets cost $88 dollars, ProgZ.  So actually more than Disney's "gouging price of admission".

It's not necessarily worth getting one of those visitor cards, as you won't always get your money's worth, unless you want to run from destination to destination without spending long checking each one out.  But I'm sure we can work out whether it's worth doing or not closer to the time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk