EDITOR PLUGIN: Speech Center - Version 2.2.0

Started by SpeechCenter, Thu 22/03/2012 14:50:32

Previous topic - Next topic

cianty

I have just downloaded the plugin and I love it! This is very very useful for me. I recently wanted to change the "in-game" name of a certain character and this is perfect for finding all instances where I used it.

The only annoying thing is that it has problems with all sorts of header files. For example, it doesn't accept the gui scripts in my game (LucasArts 9-verb gui template).
ca. 70% completed

SpeechCenter

Quote from: cianty on Fri 04/05/2012 13:05:18
I have just downloaded the plugin and I love it! This is very very useful for me. I recently wanted to change the "in-game" name of a certain character and this is perfect for finding all instances where I used it.

The only annoying thing is that it has problems with all sorts of header files. For example, it doesn't accept the gui scripts in my game (LucasArts 9-verb gui template).
Thanks. I found a typo in my code which causes the error in the 9-verb module. I'll have it fixed in the next version, which I plan to release in the coming days.
If you need it sooner, I can send you a pre-release, PM me your email if that's the case.

cianty

Thanks, but no need to hurry. I'll wait. :smiley:
ca. 70% completed

SpeechCenter

A new version of the plugin has been released. Main changes are the ability to specify the speech line number in a parameter and fix for the parsing of 9-verb module.
Thank you all for using the plugin and for the feedback. I now feel confident enough to call this version 1.0. You can download it here.

SpeechCenter

New version available with a new feature - export voice acting scripts
Here's a sample output.

It also includes settings to control the output format. As always, please let me know if you run into any trouble.

The output format is similar to the one used by the sqvsb guys, I found it very readable and useful.

Dave Gilbert

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Dave Gilbert

Hey! We started using this in a major way on our most recent project, and it's the best thing ever! I do have one more request, if you'll indulge me.

Being able to generate voice acting scripts is a HUGE boon, but right now it generates every line for every character at one time. Would it be possible to generate specific reports, based on what is on screen? For example, right now we have a character that is mostly voiced. I want to generate a voice acting script based on whichever lines are still missing. I can get that up on screen easily enough, but it would be nice to generate the nicely formatted voice acting script as well. Would that be possible?

edit: And while I'm asking for stuff, what about being able to filter your search based on custom say functions? Often I don't realize that I need to include a custom say function until later, but it gets lumped in with every other line. It would be nice to single out the lines that use that custom function.

chucklas

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 13/07/2012 17:09:52
Hey! We started using this in a major way on our most recent project, and it's the best thing ever! I do have one more request, if you'll indulge me.

Being able to generate voice acting scripts is a HUGE boon, but right now it generates every line for every character at one time. Would it be possible to generate specific reports, based on what is on screen? For example, right now we have a character that is mostly voiced. I want to generate a voice acting script based on whichever lines are still missing. I can get that up on screen easily enough, but it would be nice to generate the nicely formatted voice acting script as well. Would that be possible?

I have the exact same request.  This feature would be an amazing addition!

SpeechCenter

Quote from: chucklas on Thu 19/07/2012 02:32:44
Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 13/07/2012 17:09:52

I have the exact same request.  This feature would be an amazing addition!
I'm finishing testing the plugin translation support. Once I release it this feature is the next things I plan to add.

chucklas

One other addition that would be useful to me (and perhaps others) is to have the plugin automatically number lines that are not numbered.  The auto script generator that is built into AGS will redo all numbered lines when it is run.  This can destroy work that was done previously.  It would be a great help if we could have lines that lack numbers get numbered by Speech Center while leaving all other previously numbered lines unchanged.

SpeechCenter

Quote from: chucklas on Thu 19/07/2012 13:13:27
One other addition that would be useful to me (and perhaps others) is to have the plugin automatically number lines that are not numbered.  The auto script generator that is built into AGS will redo all numbered lines when it is run.  This can destroy work that was done previously.  It would be a great help if we could have lines that lack numbers get numbered by Speech Center while leaving all other previously numbered lines unchanged.

Yes, this was requested before. I'll try to get to it once I add full editing support.

I'm very happy to announce a new version with the ability to view translations per speech line.

Download here

In order to view existing translations, make sure to refresh the data and you should have all your translations listed. All features available for original text apply to translations, with the addition that once you select a line, you will see the original text at the bottom.

There's also an option to edit translation files with the same interface. To do this you must explicitly enable this from the preferences. I've used AGS functions to store the files, so it should be quite safe, but still, to be on the safer side it's best to backup your translation files before trying this.

Additional changes:

• Added last refresh time to make it clearer whether the information is up to date
  • Added speech function column, so you can now know if Display, Say or a custom function was used (note that refresh is required to populate info)

Edit: Combined double-post (difference between posts was 18 minutes, so there was no need for a bump-post)

StillInThe90s

Hi all.
Any progress on adding an 'export to text file' function?
Or is this a feature already?

SpeechCenter

Quote from: StillInThe90s on Mon 30/07/2012 02:41:17
Hi all.
Any progress on adding an 'export to text file' function?
Or is this a feature already?
Do you mean VA scripts or something else?

There's a feature to export VA scripts to HTML files (one per character). I'm going to improve it a bit to cover Dave Gilbert's request and a few other improvements I have in the backlog.

Also, AGS already supports exporting VA scripts in text format.

StillInThe90s

I basically meant a function to dump all found dialog into a txt -file, for easier grammar/spell check or printing or whatever.
VA scripts is a bit above my level of expertise.

Sorry for the late reply.

SpeechCenter

Quote from: StillInThe90s on Wed 22/08/2012 10:29:51
I basically meant a function to dump all found dialog into a txt -file, for easier grammar/spell check or printing or whatever.
VA scripts is a bit above my level of expertise.
It's not complex to add export functionality in a different format, but I would like to understand what one would get from this on top of existing capability (The VA scripts are meant to be human readable). Perhaps an example output could make this clearer.

Furthermore, is grammar/spell checking your main use case or is it just a theoretical example?

StillInThe90s

I have not really tested the plugin yet and I'm not quite sure what VA scripts are all about. Sorry.
Since people were asking for an export function earlier in the thread, I simply figured there was none.

Grammar check or exporting for proof-reading was the first example I could think of, but also something I would find useful.
My current project is filled with speech lines in the scripts, which makes proof-reading nearly impossible. Especially if I need someone else to have a look at it.

I will take a look at speech center before asking any more stupid questions.

SpeechCenter

Hello everyone,

I've been busy with changes to the plugin and while I'm still testing these changes, I wanted to share with you a screenshot of what's coming up. Most of the feature requests that came up here are going to be implemented. Of course, comments and questions are more than welcomed.

Dave Gilbert

Khris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk