MAGS April: "Distorted Senses" (CLOSED)

Started by Atelier, Sun 01/04/2012 12:38:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Atelier

Topic: 'Distorted Senses'

This month's guidelines were set by WHAM:

Create a game in which one or more of the protagonist's senses (sight, hearing, touch, taste, smell) have somehow been impaired or mutated, causing them to function in an unexpected fashion. The distorted senses of the protagonist can either hinder or help them, maybe even both if used right!

Ideas to help you:

• The protagonist cannot see colours, but instead hears them when touching them.
• The protagonist cannot hear anything that is not human speech - all other sounds are converted into speech.
• The protagonist cannot see movement, causing anything that moves to "stop existing" until it is stationary again.
• The protagonist sees, hears, tastes and feels all things as rotting, slimy, twisted and disgusting (see video link below).

For a chilling example of this type of event taking place, watch:
(Might be rather disturbing and extreme example, you have been warned)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tDHJ05TbDxU

Ending 30/4/2012

Also, the MAGS site is back again, thanks Peder!

What is MAGS?

MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, or provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favorite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

You may get help for the competition, although you must end up doing something yourself. You should however be warned that it proves difficult to organize a big team within thirty days. You are not allowed to use material already created before this competition. Your game must be completely new! Music and sound is an exception; you can use free material that is available to the public, if you wish. Modules and templates are also allowed. Please do not enter the competition with a rushed entry (a game created last minute). Sure, you can make a game and rush it - but don't do this just to win by default.

Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualise your game following the month's criteria (see top). Second, create your game fueled only by coffee. Third, finally, and most importantly, post your game here, including:

✓ A working download link.
✓ The title of your game.
✓ A suitable screenshot.

At the end of the month, the all-important voting will begin! This period usually lasts fifteen days. Should you win, along with announcing the next month's rules, your name and game will be immortalised in the MAGS Archive. Yet hopefully, at the end of the month, the accomplishment of finishing a game will be your greatest prize. For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Ghost

WHAM

I don't think I have time to make a game of my own for this month, but if someone wants SMALL AMOUNTS of help with graphics, story design, voice acting and / or testing, feel free to contact me.
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Atelier

DuncanFx

I've sketched out a few ideas for this one, but I'm not sure I'll be able to make anything in time. I'm visiting my family for the Easter break, and have a couple of big work commitments throughout the rest of April. Might try to condense the ideas down to a one-room game to make them more viable though.

Joshy

This is a really cool theme!

I wish I hadn't only just started with AGS, so I'd be able to create a game in this theme!

Maybe I'll give myself a two month deadline and just create it for personal gain :)

Baron

Well, I don't exactly have any spare time at all these days, and I have several other projects on the go, but I will admit to playing around with ideas for this topic.  Anyone feel like making music/backgrounds for a short sci-fi/horror project?

Radiant

Cogliostro

Atelier -

• The taste of breakfast hummed with color.
  • The waves crashed upon the shore with a burst of yellow and brown, that faded into rivulets of muddy red as the water flowed back into the sea.
  • As I read the instructions, intense sparkles of light flew off the page, blinding me.  Additionally, each letter, syllable and word had its own sound.  Reading just the first sentence was like listening to an entire orchestra playing at top volume, but each musician working with a different score and conductor.  I stepped back from the table and threw my hands up in defense, but how can you defend yourself from your own senses.

"Synesthesia the Game." 

The hardest part of this challenge will be making coherent puzzles! 

- Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

Baron

I'm updating my status from "fence sitting" to "all in, baby!"

Baron

Buh-ump!

Well we've got just over ten days left, and I reckon my team is getting close to about half-done our entry.  Has anyone else taken the plunge here?

Ghost

I'm out; no way to finish this... The stage is yours, sire  :D

Icey

Atelier

It would have been nice if you contacted me beforehand, or at least posted in the thread to say you're interested like everybody else, I thought you weren't allowed to enter since you cheated? Icey please don't suddenly post cryptic screenshots with a link, if you're working on something, let me know. I can't check your entry right now. What is it about?

Hudders

I've played it and I don't even know what it's about.

Icey

Well actually you said I can't enter until I learned "something" but I decided myself to not enter for a while anyways.

Anyhow, my bad about popping up out of no where. The Story of this game continues from the end of Dreams PMQ.

Dave is still stuck in the dream world and for some reason he can't see colors in his dreams anymore. He his some voice in his head that explains the situation and tells him that the reason be hind him not being able to see color is cause the Void has popped up inside of his mind and is the reason he is losing his memories. Dave must use his phone to scan the Void in his dreams and lock it away in side of a QR code!

It's a hell of confusing to understand what I said if you haven't played any of my other PMQ games and if you haven't heard of PMQ Colosseum.

But it's super easy to play with other any knowledge of PMQ.

Hudders

I think icey's game should be disqualified really, I'm pretty sure it violates the rule that everything used in the game should be new material.

Icey

Incorrect sir. I can not use anyone thing that's already made however this does not include story, plot, still music from what the rules say.

This is a brand new story not a remake. The character is from pmq yet is drawn in new way. The backs grounds and sprites are completely new. All these work so my game can stay.

However if it doesn't work cause of the last two lines then the whole mags is screwed up cause I entered already with 3D osd game using a few sprites from the OSD2 game. However it could be possible that it was cool cause osd is open source...

I don't really know but it's not cool to point fingers without all the proof from the past.
You got to show a least one picture from which proves that these sprites are already used. And if you got to play through all of my games then so be it. :)

Victor6

Icey, the problem people have is that all your games feature the same stuff (PMQ-whateverthefuck), and you didn't declare your entry.

This could be an existing unreleased project you've just modified in order to enter MAGS. The art or coding could be old. It's not like people could know whats on your HDD, they just have to trust you.

Had you declared your intentions a couple of weeks ago, or submitted something that wasn't like everything else you make, then people might feel differently.

Radiant

Quote from: Hudders on Mon 23/04/2012 09:33:33
I think icey's game should be disqualified really, I'm pretty sure it violates the rule that everything used in the game should be new material.

Yes. Also, it is clearly a rushed entry (again), and it doesn't follow this month's theme either (it's about distortion, not about merely using grayscale graphics).

And I note this is the second time Icy tries to pretend the whole cheating incident didn't happen and tries to sneak in an entry anyway. Time to take some responsibility, man.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk