SPRITE JAM:- Card art. Ends 25th April

Started by Victor6, Wed 11/04/2012 13:20:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Victor6

Back in the midsts of time, there was a much unloved hand-held gaming device known as the Neo-geo pocket*, and on this obscure format was a strange fan-service card game known as SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighters Clash, which was packed with caricatures of popular videogame franchises;-

They tend to get nicked, recoloured, and used as forum avatars.
a full list can found at http://sdb.drshnaps.com/game.php?game=860

The task is as follows;-

Using the card format above, do a card for any Adventure or AGS game character (or characters). You don't have to use the SD art style (or anything Japanese), but you may find it helps when trying to pack as much detail and personality as possible into a small area. There's a limited overlap you can use to make the character(s) 'leap out' of the card.

But, just to make things interesting, there's a few restrictions;-

* You can't draw any of your own characters. So Ponch can't do barn runner etc.
- In the case of shared IPs (RON, OSD, etc), Characters that you have previously drawn are restricted. If you're in any doubt, it's probably best to assume I'll be a b'stard about it.
* You have to draw the whole thing yourself. - No copy-pasting a sprites from existing titles. 
* There's no palette limit, however bonus points will be rewarded for clarity. Pixel art is preferable to scaled images.

For some reason the trophies this time around are card playing bunny girls, everyone else will receive a Schrödinger's grue trophy.

- First - Second - Third - (I've lost the grue somewhere)

Misj'

Quote from: Victor6 on Wed 11/04/2012 13:20:06Using the card format above, do a card for any Adventure or AGS game character (or characters).
But, just to make things interesting, there's a few restrictions;-
Am I allowed to 'reformat' the card to high-res?

Victor6

Quote from: Misj' on Wed 11/04/2012 14:57:40
Am I allowed to 'reformat' the card to high-res?
Nope. The characters card art must occupy the 74x64 area, although there's nothing to stop you from drawing high res and scaling the image back down (beyond some arbitrary points deduction that may or may not have any effect).

WHAM

I'll try to come up with something, this is a pretty awesome idea!  ;)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SinSin

Just started training with a graphics tablet  hope you like  ;D
Currently working on a project!

Matti

Nelly Cootalot!

I tried to do this in pixelart first but for some reason I failed miserably. I also have to admit that it doesn't have much personality, it's just a standard pose of Nelly.

Darius Poyer

I took a few liberties with this one.

Sorry ghost  8)

Ghost

Quote from: Darius Poyer on Sat 14/04/2012 00:06:52
I took a few liberties with this one.
Sorry ghost  8)
Awesomeness!

[edit]
And here's my entry...

Go, Annie Android!

Victor6

Time's almost up folks, any late entries had better get their skates on.

Judging will occur tomorrow, when my hangover subsides (roughly 2pm GMT).

Ghost

Vic, just out of curiousity, are there actual rules to the original game somwhere? It would make a very cool AGS game with a couple more (AGS) characters!
(Shame on me, I never owned a NeoGeo... )

Victor6

There's not much of a write-up anywhere. Your best bet would be something like gamefaqs, although none of them really do it justice, since it's as much about the reference humour (like visiting the resident evil mansion) as anything else.

A properly done AGS version would be pretty awesome though (replacing the locations with ones from AGS games too), if you could get around all the potential IP pitfalls.

Eric

Quote from: Victor6 on Tue 24/04/2012 15:16:00
Time's almost up folks, any late entries had better get their skates on.

Shoot! I have one in the works, but haven't had much time to work on it. I'll see if I can get it finished tonight!

EDIT: I DID get it finished!

Ghost

WHAM

Auuuugh! I'm late! I'll draw one this evening, I promise! I MUST!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

bicilotti

I am amazed by the sheer quality of the entries! Clap clap everyone!

WHAM

I might not make it before the downtime, but will post immediately after! Just need to clean up the sprite some more!

Victor6

Np. I'll wait until after the downtime.

WHAM

The RAM ghost is charging her Electroplasm kame-hame-HA!
(image presented in 2x size)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk