Forum Restructuring

Started by Snarky, Thu 12/04/2012 20:42:54

Previous topic - Next topic

AGA

I'll probably end up adding a bugzilla type thing for thorough bug reporting. I'd expect it'd be a lot more powerful and easy to manage than CJ's self written thingy.

Ryan Timothy B

This caught me off guard at first. For a split second I thought I was in the wrong forum. It's nice though, and I definitely like the recruitment sub-forum.

But now I can only fit half the forum in my screen (that voting thing obviously takes up a lot of space). Is there any chance you could decrease the cell inner padding on the main page to squeeze more in there? It's bloated more than it needs to be.

Stupot

@RT - You can collapse any sections that you look at less frequently to make the rest fit on your screen nicely :-)

selmiak

and what about finally enabling the normal smf Icons above every post that insert all these [bbtags][/bbtags] on a single click :D

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: Stupot+ on Fri 13/04/2012 00:54:09
@RT - You can collapse any sections that you look at less frequently to make the rest fit on your screen nicely :-)
I check out every board. Collapsing them would only slow me down. ;)

Would it not make more sense for Bug Reports to be grouped with AGS Development. Otherwise I can see people posting in the Bug Reports thread "I was playing Space Pool and there is a ghosting effect after the balls get hit" or "Trilby's Notes crashed!".

Also for the recruitment thread. The new thread for the board's rules should be text along with a link. Example:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For examples of the Correct Way to Start a Thread, please take a look at the Bovine Intrusion thread at the top of this board.

tzachs

I'm lovin' it!  :D
I agree with monkey, a "feature request" sub-forum is needed, otherwise where would you post it? Bug reports? Technical?

AGA

I'll try to work out how to change the cell padding.  It seems SMF's styles aren't that straightforward, so I'll have to poke around.  First I have to get my dev copy of the forums installed though, which is still in progress!

Andail

Everything's looking splendid :)

Let's hope this overhaul can spark some creativity and inspiration, and increase the forum activity a bit. The good kind of activity.

Atelier

Thank you to whoever fixed the apostrophe on Beginners' Technical :')

Also, the description of Advanced Technical still says 'bug reports', which might confuse people.

AGA

Quote from: Atelier on Fri 13/04/2012 12:48:39
Thank you to whoever fixed the apostrophe on Beginners' Technical :')

Me!  Although I forgot to do Critics Lounge, which I'll do while I'm fixing the Advanced Technical description.

Ryan Timothy B

Ooo. I have to mention this because it drives everyone insane.

Let's remove the Text-style spelling completely. Like look at this example. All it does is assume you want You's, etc instead of the letter. Especially when it still does it within a Code segment.

Code: ags
you

you

Actually there is a glitch with it too. When it tries to correct the lowercase "U" into "you", it actually removes the previous character next to it.

Snarky

Yes, fuck the text-style spelling filter! I'd rather personally go through and rewrite every txt-speek post.

AGA

Andail

Hey, you were asked to fix a problem and instead you insult people for no apparent reason. Way to go! :(

AGA

Quote from: Andail on Fri 13/04/2012 14:30:27
Hey, you were asked to fix a problem and instead you insult people for no apparent reason. Way to go! :(

You've known me for more than ten years now, you should know that's how I roll.

Ryan Timothy B

Excellent. Thanks.

That's the end of my requests I believe, other than having a new input box with the Bold, Italics, URL, etc buttons to speed things up. Like all the new SMF forums work. Pressing the Bold button would drop this in the box:  [b][/b]
Or highlighting a segment of text and pressing it would encapsulate the text.

But I can't see you playing around with that too much seeing as this whole forum is on one php file. Unless you update the forum completely - which should probably be done anyway.

Edit: Actually I lied.

Something like the Google Code Prettify to enhance how the [code][/code] segments look would be amazing.

Code: ags
Anything looks better than this drab code box

AGA

I will be looking at upgrading to the latest SMF version soon, which should hopefully allow more prettification, AJAX and such.

RickJ

I think Bug Reports was better of under AGS support as that would be the place to report bugs in the released versions.    Bugs in development versions would more properly be reported in either Engine or Editor  Development.   

Also there needs to be some rules for developers who post modified versions of the engine or editor.  For example the initial post should be edited to contain abstract,  change log, and link to latest version, the way CJ used to do it.  I would also suggest having some kind of file naming convention be used when people post development versions.   The zip filename perhaps could contain the version of AGS from which the development version was made,  the identity of the developer, and his/her build or version number an whether its engine or editor.   Something like the following is what I have in mind to help keep everything straight:

AGS3.2.1-MONKEY0000-ENG.ZIP
AGS3.2.1-SNAKE0000-EDT.ZIP

Eric

Quote from: AGA on Fri 13/04/2012 08:11:41
I'll try to work out how to change the cell padding.  It seems SMF's styles aren't that straightforward, so I'll have to poke around.  First I have to get my dev copy of the forums installed though, which is still in progress!

I think it's because, as far as I can tell, there is no padding, and the height of the entire table row is determined by the height of the tallest table data cell, which in this case is the one containing three lines that make up the "Last Post" column. If you want the rows to be shorter, you'll have to cut content from that cell, and I don't think that's optimal.

Khris

Actually, there's a padding of 5px for all sides "hardcoded" into the source as opposed to the stylesheet. Gotta love Firebug :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk