Forum Restructuring

Started by Snarky, Thu 12/04/2012 20:42:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric

Haha, I was using Firebug and didn't catch that -- yep, there it is: cellpadding="5". Still, I'd argue that 5px is necessary (keeps text from abutting borders), and wouldn't change the padding.

AGA

Given that the right hand column actually looks like:

Today at 18:18
in Re: UNGA needs MUMBA - a...
by Cleanic

currently, we could probably have the "by username" bit on the same line as the topic, given the topic title is truncated anyway.  Which would trim one line per forum.  Plus we could probably reduce all the font sizes by a point or two?

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: RickJ on Fri 13/04/2012 16:20:21
I think Bug Reports was better of under AGS support as that would be the place to report bugs in the released versions.    Bugs in development versions would more properly be reported in either Engine or Editor  Development.

The way I look at it: a bug in the final released version of the editor is still a development issue.  ;)

Also the AGS Support group is now full of Modules/Plugins or help threads to better assist an AGS scripter.
The AGS Development group is now full of anything related to the editor/engine.

Makes sense to me..

AGA

What about two distinct forums - one for dev version bugs, and one for official release bugs?  Overkill?

Snarky

I'm not sure there even needs to be one forum, so yeah.

Any bugs in AGS (whether release or other build) will have to be fixed by the developers, so I think having the bug reports in the Development section makes the most sense.

AGA

So we're getting a lot of database crashes at the moment.  I can't really work out why it's happening, but since I'm hoping to upgrade the forums soon, it shouldn't last too long.  In the meantime, I'm afraid we'll have to live with the random crashes.

Wyz

I thought to drop by because of SAB and the whole forum seems to be rearranged! :D
I'll check it out more thoroughly in a few days but I like what I see so far.  :=

I'm glad to see things are happening finally now, yaaay!
Life is like an adventure without the pixel hunts.

AGA

So apparently the calendar not working was a really simple thing.  For some reason SMF asks you to set a calendar year range, and our was set to 2010 at the latest.  It's now set as 2017, which means it should work for the next five years at least!  If anyone notices any further problems with the calendar, please let me know.

Atelier

Woo, Dualnames will be pleased!

Dualnames

I tried typing my regard to this fix, but words cannot express the true feelings, I know I bitched a lot about this.
So thanks a lot.

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stee

One thing that has always annoyed me with the forum is the community section. Shouldn't  it be at the top?

It's more the general discussion forum. It's common place for this to be at the top of the board.
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

Snarky

If we were to reorder the categories, how about:

AGS Games
Community
Creative Production
AGS Support
AGS Development

I see that as being the order from most general to most specialized (AGS Games is for everyone, even people who don't really use the forums, Community for... you know, then Creative Production and AGS Support for those fine people actually making the games, and AGS Development for that hard core of contributors to AGS itself).

AGA

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 17/04/2012 22:16:17
If we were to reorder the categories, how about:

AGS Games
Community
Creative Production
AGS Support
AGS Development

I see that as being the order from most general to most specialized (AGS Games is for everyone, even people who don't really use the forums, Community for... you know, then Creative Production and AGS Support for those fine people actually making the games, and AGS Development for that hard core of contributors to AGS itself).

Done.  We'll see how it goes down.

Snarky

Gosh! I just open my mouth, and right away stuff happens. Does this mean I'll have to think things through in the future?

Dualnames

Why are we reordering the forums? Frankly, that's a bit annoying. I'm used to browse it in a certain way. Plus AGS Support being first, is the way to go. Several people create accounts to ask for issues or check new games, and the current setup doesn't reflect that. Also now that AGS is open-source, that also seems to bring some new people in the community.

My two cents.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Stupot

I quite like this order actually.  It makes more sense to me, especially having have the 'games' section at the top.  Maybe that's because I mostly play the games rather than make them :/

voh

Awesome! Will take a bit of getting used to but it flows much more logically this way!

And it's unsettling and inspiring to see things getting done so darn quickly! :D
Still here.

Ryan Timothy B

Hints and Tips being renamed to Game Hints and Tips? Or is that even necessary?

Oh and I do like the new structuring that Snarky suggested.

blueskirt

I salute whoever's idea it was to put every subforums I check every day at the top rather than the very bottom and I weep for the RON subforum for being left all alone down there at the bottom. Also, recruitment dedicated subforum, it was about time, the old thread was a mess.

RickJ

I like the restructuring alot.  Here is some additional food for thought, for whatever it's worth.   

AGS Games (for playing games)
   Completed Game Announcements
   AGS Games in Production
   Hints & Tips

Community (for talking and having fun)
   Adventure Related Talk & Chat
   General Discussion
   The Rumpus Room
   Competitions & Activities

Creative Production (for making AGS Games)
   Recruitment
   Artistic Forum (art help, formerly critics lounge)
   Technical Forum (programming help)  (combined Beginner & Advanced)
   Modules & Plugins
   Resources (links to sprites, fonts, & other open source game assets)

Hosted Sites (also for making games)
   Reality-on-the-Norm

AGS Development (for improving AGS)
   Engine Development
   Editor Development
   Bug Reports & Site / Forum Reports

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk