Editor modification: exporting and importing sets of resources

Started by Monsieur OUXX, Thu 03/05/2012 11:18:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Monsieur OUXX

Hi all,

At the moment, you can only export (and import) resources one by one. For example you can export ONE character, ONE script, etc.
It's a bit annoying when you've been writing a super module that relies on some mandatory graphics (e.g. a GUI). It means that whoever wants to use your module also need to import all the related resources manually.
You're going to tell me : "Yes, but you can make it a game template".
I agree, but lately there have been such great modules and plugins that you'll often want to combine 2 or more, and it can be a pain to "merge" 2 games templates.

Don't get me wrong: It's not about laziness, it's about avoiding human mistakes. When you import a module and the module relies (for example) on a simple gui that's not provided, the readme can esily omit small requirements like "this GUI should necessarily have index #0 otherwise it won't work". You end up reading the whole script to debug silly inconsistencies you introduced when importing.

So I thought I'd just add a little menu in the Editor:
- It opens a listbox with all the resources
- You can tick all the resources you want to export
- then you click on the "export button" and it exports then and zips them together
- Symetriclaly you can import them back as a whole.

Let me know if you have advice to give about that, or hints to help me making sense of the Editor's code.

Calin Leafshade

Since this would be a 'utility' of sorts you can essentially implement it entirely separate from the editors core code (while obviously still observing the coding conventions).

I say just get stuck in and do it.

(Can you tell i'm catching up on all the threads I missed?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk