AGS engine iOS port

Started by JJS, Sun 13/05/2012 16:41:09

Previous topic - Next topic

JanetC

Does anyone know a commercial iOS contractor that would be interested in low-level engine stuff?

Without JJS I really don't know how to keep AGS up to date for more recent version of iOS. I have been in contact with JJS but he is too busy to work on the code right now.

Wadjet Eye Games is willing to pay a professional to update the port. We need it to work properly with iOS 8. Currently it crashes a lot and can't be built as 64-bit (which Apple are requiring for uploads to the App store)

Can anyone recommend a contractor to do this? They'd need to be experienced in low-level iOS code.

Thanks!

Janet

janet@wadjeteyegames.com

AGD2

We're also running into this problem. It might be worth looking for someone on Elance.com ?

JanetC

Quote from: AGD2 on Tue 03/02/2015 20:08:20
We're also running into this problem. It might be worth looking for someone on Elance.com ?

I would prefer a personal recommendation so I can be sure the developer is competent and can work with an existing codebase. There's a lot of sleazy iOS developers out there because of the "gold rush" nature of the platform. Trust me, I get spammed by them every day!

Crimson Wizard

The engine itself should be generally 64-bit compatible (it works on 64-bit Linux), so I guess it is a matter of building iOS wrapper properly?
Unfortunately I can't help with that; but I may try to help if there will be new issues inside the main engine code.

JanetC

Well, I finally got the iOS engine building for 64-bit! Now to test it and hopefully release some games!

JanetC

I've put a big post in the engine forum below about how I updated 3.3.3 to work on iOS. It serves as a complete guide to releasing an AGS game on iPhone or iPad. I didn't want it to get lost in this biiiiig thread so I made a new thread :-)

ZoliMax

I would like to play Maniac Mansion Deluxe in russian on iOS.
I did all the things from 1st message, but only english is working.
I copied https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/iOS/misc/ios.cfg to /var/mobile/Documents/ags/ and maked 777 rights, set "translation = Russian" but still only english. Also, tried to use acsetup.cfg from win-version (in win russian works fine)  renamed to ios.cfg but also no effect.
iOS 8.1, AGS 3.2.1k from http://jjs.at/cydia

Please, help to get translation working on iOS

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: ZoliMax on Mon 17/08/2015 17:45:16
I would like to play Maniac Mansion Deluxe in russian on iOS.
I did all the things from 1st message, but only english is working.
I copied https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/iOS/misc/ios.cfg to /var/mobile/Documents/ags/ and maked 777 rights, set "translation = Russian" but still only english. Also, tried to use acsetup.cfg from win-version (in win russian works fine)  renamed to ios.cfg but also no effect.
iOS 8.1, AGS 3.2.1k from http://jjs.at/cydia

Please, help to get translation working on iOS

To make it clear: you do have a Russian.tra file with your game?
Do other translations work?

ZoliMax

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 17/08/2015 17:47:07
To make it clear: you do have a Russian.tra file with your game?
Yes, I have.
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 17/08/2015 17:47:07Do other translations work?
No, I done the same thing to French - and no effect.

Crimson Wizard

My guess is that it cannot find or read these files for some reason; but unfortunately I do not own iOS device myself, and do not know how it works.
I have sent a question to game developer who recently was using AGS iOS port. Maybe I'll get some ideas from her.

ZoliMax

I solved it. No settings was usied when ios.cfg was placed into /var/mobile/Documents/ags/ as it written in 1st message.
I moved it directly to /var/mobile/Documents/ags/game/ and translations and other options become works. But, game randomly crashes, sometimes when I'm tap all the screen pieces trying to find any objects...

TheVolumeRemote

If anyone is further pursuing a commercial version of JJS' amazing port, I'd be interested as a financial backer... I'd love to see this in a neat download with an easy game import coded in from our Archives... Send an email to Paul@8BitAirwaves.com if you're interested in putting this together, I just don't ha e the technical skills to do it myself!!

TheVolumeRemote

And not to make it weird but I just want to respectfully acknowledge that JJS is the creator and presumed owner of this software, not sure where Janet and Dave come in but I yield to them!! I don't want a penny- just to maybe spend some so we can all enjoy this with minimal skills and knowledge:)

sonneveld

When I have time I plan to work on this. Not sure financial backing is necessary?

Sslaxx

Quote from: 8BitAirwaves on Tue 29/09/2015 17:46:34
And not to make it weird but I just want to respectfully acknowledge that JJS is the creator and presumed owner of this software, not sure where Janet and Dave come in but I yield to them!! I don't want a penny- just to maybe spend some so we can all enjoy this with minimal skills and knowledge:)
Financial backing? You should also talk to Crimson Wizard if that's what you're interested in.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

TheVolumeRemote

Thank you Sslax, I'll send Wizard a message! I understand finical backing isn't exactly necessary- as I'm sure the majority here have the tools and knowledge already. However I'm lacking the latter and in respect to everyone's time- I'd offer funds to someone for committing to its completion:)
I wonder if its possible to create a downloadable (system) Profile for iOS that is signed (or not) and has compiled game data or something of the sort. Anyway thanks again

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: 8BitAirwaves on Sat 31/10/2015 16:19:09
Thank you Sslax, I'll send Wizard a message!
I am afraid I am not the guy to suggest money for working on iOS port, because I have very little knowledge of it.
I think it will be better to discuss this with Nick Sonneveld and/or Wadjet Eye; the latter invest money in improving iOS port of AGS anyway.

Crimson Wizard

Can anyone tell, whether is would be acceptable to increase default sprite cache size to 100 MB for iOS device? We have a restriction in the iOS port code that limits cache size to 20 MB always (even regardless the config), and I do not know why is that so.

JanetC

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 02/06/2016 12:54:15
Can anyone tell, whether is would be acceptable to increase default sprite cache size to 100 MB for iOS device? We have a restriction in the iOS port code that limits cache size to 20 MB always (even regardless the config), and I do not know why is that so.

I don't know why either.

Crimson Wizard

I checked the specs of iOS devices here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_iOS_devices
Apparently, newest devices have like 1-2 GB of RAM, but previous versions had much less, like 128-512 MB. I do not know how actively older iPhones are used in general, and not sure whether it will be safe to hardcode default of 100 MB sprite cache for iPhone then. I can enable reading this property from config file though (do not see why not).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk