Captain Disaster in: Death Has A Million Stomping Boots

Started by CaptainD, Mon 21/05/2012 19:37:39

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainD

Ah yes, I was wondering who'd be the first to spot that... erm... deliberate typo!

m0ds

The website is even cheaper, but be a good Captain and clear the skies of some asteroids. More importantly please tell me if that works or if you have problems! ;)

CaptainD

When you go to the website, it's REALLY slow at first - is that because the game is pre-loading into the frame?  (Ah, frames... haven't seen those for a while!) - but when I click on Asteroids!, there's nothing in the frame.   :sad:

(Ah... until I clicked into the frame, then it came up.  But it was very slow and then froze.  Not sure how much having the music playing is affecting things?)

Tried it a few times and it wouldn't work I'm afraid... might be because this laptop isn't much cop, if anyone else finds it works fine please PM M0DS or myself.  (Mark we'll take this to PM now ourselves until we can actually confirm it as working.)

EDIT - this now seems to be working fine... for everyone but me!  Stupid laptop...

CaptainD

Many thanks to everyone who voted for us - Best Demo winner at the AGS Awards 2013!!  :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D :grin: :-D

kaput

You really deserved it - it`s evident how much work you put in cappy. Well done lad.

arj0n

LTGiants2000

This is a great honor....I am very proud to be a part of this project. Congrats Dave :)

CaptainD

Thanks guys!

I wish I could give you more of a proper update, but all I can really say right now is that we're continuing to work on the game and slowly but surely making progress.  Pity we all have real jobs and stuff eating up our time!  >:(

CaptainD

Getting a little impatient about posting something new when we've been working so hard on the game, so here are a few stats and stuff from you from the latest build:

- 36 Rooms
- 17 Characters
- 929 Sprites
- 602 Lines of speech
- 2 new specially composed music tracks recently added to the game
- Many lines of alien gibberish dialogue
- Puzzles galore

Much more to come of course!

Should have a new video to show you pretty soon, also intensive beta testing of Act I is due to start in within the next 2 months.

LTGiants2000

THAT'S TOO MUCH OF A TEASE, GIVE THE PEOPLE A SCREENSHOT OR AUDIO SAMPLE OR SOMETHING, GOSH!!!  :grin:

Jaffles

Glad to hear this is coming along well! Demo was quite a bit of fun!

shaun9991

downloaded the demo just now, great fun! definitely worthy of a commercial release
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

CaptainD

Thanks Shaun, glad you enjoyed the demo!

Did someone ask for screenshots?  Here are 20 of them from our very latest build!  (Please note some are still WiP - the smaller ones are showing only a portion of the screen.)

It begins...

CD gets assertive...

... but it was a bad idea.

The Customs Official REALLY doesn't mean this...

Uh-oh...

Alien Marketplace comedians...

Cue disgusting puzzle to get something from this alien...

There is no alien here yet... but there will be...

Ooh, an energy pool!

An inconveniently small doorway...

A cunning reference to two adventure games in one sentence...

CD wants to boogie... or maybe he doesn't.  Just wait till you see the dancing robot on this thing!

What is this?  I'm not telling you!

Don't believe a word of it, she's only after your money...

Possibly the worst joke in the whole game, though it has plenty of competition!

A retro top-down view!  Sadly no SuperSprint mini-game though.

Hmm... looks familiar...

An obelisk... but no monkeys!

Once you have explored a bit you can go back and annoy the customs official with lots of stupid questions - yay!

Look, I did not shameless steal the speeder design from Star Wars: A New Hope, ok?   Oh all right you got me, that's exactly what I did.

I'm also pleased to announce that our Beta Test Team is now fully established and ready for us to throw a meaty test build at them in the near future:

Lead Tester:    Arj0n
Beta Testers:   Cat, Tabata, LTGiants2000

More news soon...

Paul Franzen

Looking nice! That blob dude is my new favorite character.
The Beard in the Mirror (formerly testgame) - Out now on Steam! http://store.steampowered.com/app/385840
Other games I've worked on: http://paulmfranzen.com/games/

CaptainD

Thanks Paul.  That was one of LTGiant2000's sprites - before working on this game he never knew before that he had a knack for drawing aliens!!

Fortunately TheBitPriest is going over a lot of my backgrounds and making them look better, so the actual game will look nicer than those screenshots - the dance floor in particular is virtually unrecognisable from my original drawing!

CaptainD

Fortunately for me, TheBitPriest is as handy with his pixels as he is with his scripting... so he's redoing some of the backgrounds for me.  The game is going to look MUCH better as a result.

DBoyWheeler

Man... serious progress here.  Maybe once it's completed (and has a good walkthrough), maybe I oughta do a Let's Play video of this game on YouTube.  Hey, Charlie Foxtrot had a good playthrough video series, so why not this game when it comes out?  (Only with a Let's Play, there'll be some dialogue from the player too!)

TheBitPriest

Yes, I still exist.  I have wanted to be more involved with the AGS community, but I had some issues in Real Life that took my attention.  My first AGS commitment was made to Captain D to help code Death Has a MSB when he advertised in the help wanted thread, and so, I am focusing on keeping that commitment before doing anything else. 

This game is not about the art.  But when we took a step back and started playing through Stomping Boots, it seemed to me that the screens were just too different from one section to the other. I started "touching them up" to make them fit the demo and... well... now we're redoing some them as fast as possible in order to stay on schedule! I know they're not perfect, but I think the style holds together. 

While many are doing OROW 8 I'm doing a OWOM (One Week One Marketplace) re-drawn, re-coded challenge!  Only a few days left!

cat

Great progress on art! At first, I was not too much interested in this game because of the sloppy and mixed graphic style but now this looks really promising  :)
Since you are aiming for a commercial release, I'm sure this additional effort will literally pay off.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk