Game rage

Started by Stupot, Fri 25/05/2012 00:12:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

Do you get angry over video games?

My housemate spends most evenings downstairs playing Gears of War and Tekken and all you can hear is him shouting "Fuck off!... Fuck off!... Fuck Sake man! Fucking stupid cunt!"  And it's not just the odd one every few minutes. It's constant, over and over again for hours at a time, whole evenings in fact.  Sometimes he gets really angry and you can hear him banging the sofa or something.  Nothing tooo bad, no fists through walls or broken control pads... yet.  But it's annoying and has been going on at least 4 nights a week since we moved in together in September.  Some days are worse than others, like today, hence my writing this. Fuck knows what the neighbours must think.

I tell him he shouldn't play games if he doesn't enjoy them. He insists he enjoys it, but it doesn't sound like that.  He must have some severe pent-up aggression going on.  I'm not exactly the most laid back guy on the planet either, but compared to him I'm cool as The Fonz.

How about you guys?  Do you let games wind you up this much?

WHAM

I don't get angry at the games, not anymore, but I do get angry at the game developers. I keep noticing stuff that, at least in theory, should be easy to fix and avoid, but the game's developers keep rushing head first into all sorts of idiotic attempts at "balancing", "railroading" and "challenging" the gameplay/player in ways that should not be.

Let me give you an example of a time I got PISSED OFF at a game's developers.

Dead Island - The WHAM experience

The game starts, I try out the controls. Clicking the mouse makes my character punch and pressing E makes my character kick. So far so good.
Five minutes later the first enemy of the game appears, and NPC shouts "RUN!". I look ahead and think "meh, there's just two enemies, I can take 'em!". I ready myself, allow the enemies to approach and click the mouse. Nothing happens. I press the E key. Nothing happens.

The game's developers had decided for me that this was the point in the game where I was too scared to fight the enemies and that I was supposed to run away, so the only means of self defense the game had TAUGHT ME were disabled in order to ensure the plot of the game plays out the way the developers wanted it to be played out.

"FUCK THIS!" -I exclaimed and pressed the fabled ALT + F4 combination of keys. Then I played something less irritating.

(To clarify, I am not pissed off about the game wanting to take this direction, I am more pissed off at how it was done. If they could disable my attacks like that, why not make them ineffective until I am actually allowed to use them? The protagonist of the game starts with a hangover, why not make him/her stumble a bit and make the attacks uselessly weak, with the character SHOWING his/her unfit condition near the start, so I KNOW I don't have any means to defend myself until the game tells me the character is good to go?)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

Mouth for war

When I was a kid I could get furious when losing/dying haha. These days not so much...it depends actually. If I'm SOOO close to beat a boss or whatever and die and have to replay a large part of the game I can really get pissed off. Oh and when me and my best friend played Tekken and NHL back in the PS1 days we would get really mad at each other. He almost always won in NHL and I hated him for it...Then I kicked his ass in Tekken and he hated me for that haha...Ahh fond memories  :grin:
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

ThreeOhFour

Usually the more I curse, the more I'm invested in the game :D.

Just ask anybody who was around while I was playing through Rayman Origins :D.

Seriously, though, I get quite involved in games, and like to let out my frustration when I'm not good at a certain bit. Doesn't mean I'm not enjoying it!

Ghost

The Descent 2 "THUG" robot. Oh man, I hated that thing. It would sit there in the dark, then sneak up on me, steal some good equipment and dash away. Had a shitload of hitpoints, very good dodging skills, and usually invited me to a chase that would just leave me vulnerable to attacks from all those other bots in the mine.
And that NOISE, that dull "wib wib" that could've been straight out of Buck Rodgers!
Yes I hated that thing. But I saw that as a strength of the game, actually, to create a simple AI that was somehow able to pull all my levers. When a game manages to annoy/vex/challenge me with some clever design bit, I rather enjoy the challenge.

Victor6

I think the last time I was angry with a game it was Deus ex 3. I played through the entire tedious last half of the game expecting it to improve, and all I got was a plot twist worth of M night shyamalan and a 'choose your ending' machine. I didn't even bother reloading to see the different end sequences.

I get angry at annoying character design too. Everytime I replay BG2 I murder the annoying characters (Minsc, Aerie, etc) as soon as they've served their purpose, even if I'm playing a 'good' character.

WHAM

Quote from: Victor6 on Fri 25/05/2012 10:45:57
...I murder the annoying characters (Minsc, Aerie, etc)

How... How could you!? Think of Boo! Think of the poor innocent little space-hampster! What will Boo do without Minsc?  :~(
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

ThreeOhFour

I get angry at annoying character design too. Everytime I replay BG2 I murder the annoying characters (Minsc, Aerie, etc) as soon as they've served their purpose, even if I'm playing a 'good' character.

Okay, I got annoyed at Aerie's constant emotional infodumps but man, that's some way to react!  :shocked:

Victor6

'Comedy' characters are always in danger of becoming annoying in long games, particularly if they repeat the same 4-5 lines of 'action' dialogue.

Minsc (and Boo) were entertaining in the first game because he shut the hell up most of the time, and more importantly because Dynaheir existed. In the second game, he's a walking Lilarcor. It's like hearing a funny joke again, and again, and again. I'm sure Boo is fine. He can eat the remains of Minsc.

'Emo' characters have a similar problem, you get sick of putting up with them, particularly on a replay. Aerie is gifted with some phenomenally irritating long-winded 'action' quotes, and a complete lack of timing. - I don't care about your wing stumps Aerie, 'cos the rest of us are getting ready to fight that dragon....

Don't get me started on 'creepy' Jaheria, or 'fanservice' Virconia.....

Radiant

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 25/05/2012 09:19:54
The Descent 2 "THUG" robot. Oh man, I hated that thing.
Ah, but it's very satisfying to have it trapped in a corner and pound it to dust with quad lasers  :grin:

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Victor6 on Fri 25/05/2012 11:37:00
'Comedy' characters are always in danger of becoming annoying in long games, particularly if they repeat the same 4-5 lines of 'action' dialogue.

Yes, but you realize you can just ask them to leave your party, right?  :-D

Ryan Timothy B

Quote from: WHAM on Fri 25/05/2012 07:19:35
I don't get angry at the games, not anymore, but I do get angry at the game developers.
That's true with me too. I still get upset when I can't beat something, but most of my anger is because of something that could have been fixed on development side.

One I remember as a kid. Every single time in Link's Awakening that you would pick up an Acorn or triangle piece which increased your strength and stuff. You'd get the unskippable message "You've found a defense acorn [etc etc etc]". I used to get so angry every time I would find one.

Same with the N64 Zelda game. Ocarina of Time. That blasted fairy that follows you around "Look" "Look" "Listen" "Listen" "Over here" "Look" oh... my... god...

Then there was the ending of Dead Space 2. Where you had to fight that memory and everything was so blurry and distorted it was so hard to see what was going on. I played on the hardest difficulty (not the very last difficulty that only allows so many saved games or loads). I probably played it 30-40 times before I finally beat it. I actually had to return to a previous save, buy a shit ton of ammo and health packs, and then once again do that run through that gigantic swarm of enemies before getting to the statue. I was very frustrated. But that was the only spot in the whole game that completely pissed me off. Well.. actually that's wrong. I got frustrated in the zero-G areas because I couldn't rotate the camera along the Z axis (I believe that's the Z axis). The only option was to press the paddle that aligns your feet to ground. It was terrible for that. Why not hold the paddle and have it allow you to rotate.

So yes, I'm the same as Ben. I usually only get upset on games I enjoy. Anything else I usually just shut off and never touch again.

Victor6

Quote from: PONYHEAD on Fri 25/05/2012 14:28:59
Yes, but you realize you can just ask them to leave your party, right?  :-D

It's too late for that, I've played too many times to just let them off with a kick. Plus killing Minsc is like stabbing one of the designers (hopefully the guy who did the inventory art ).

InCreator

Street Fighter IV:
Mostly for other human players. Those crazy, twisted people are counting frames and damage percentage, worked out insanse schematics for combos and basically totally perverted what should be two 60-second matches of people bashing buttons.
Arcade fighting games should be fun, not insane mathematical ballet. Also, every capcom game ever turns into a projectile battle, where you can pin your opponent down by doing million dumb fireballs which shouldn't be in the game to begin with.

Same goes for chopper/jet pilots in Battlefield 4: There are some crazy people out there boasting $4000 set of trackIRs, high-end joysticks, pedals etc flying peripherals just to fly - no- not in a precise simulator - but in a lousy first person shooter. Well, fine, but it totally ruins the game for everyone trying to compete with mouse+keyboard like a normal person.

Sure, mastery at something is nice. But what about people who don't want to invest months and years into game to learn it? Actually, I'm fed up with multiplayer games. When will single-player come back? *khm*half-life3*khm*

Thinking about this, I'm not really raging about games, like ever. It's always the human factor that ruins the experience. That, and quick-time events. Ruined Fahreinheit: Indigo Child for me.

Ghost

Quote from: Radiant on Fri 25/05/2012 13:55:30
Quote from: Ghost on Fri 25/05/2012 09:19:54
The Descent 2 "THUG" robot. Oh man, I hated that thing.
Ah, but it's very satisfying to have it trapped in a corner and pound it to dust with quad lasers  :grin:

Absolutely!  (laugh)

abstauber

Yesterday I played the DayZ-Mod (Arma2) for the first time... oh those past memories of raging amiga me ;)
At first no servers let me connect, then a zombie bit me and I was bleeding. And of course I didn't know how to bandage myself, so I read it up in the manual. But you can't pause the game so I bled out, died and respawned somewhere else and got shot.

RRRAAAGGGEEEE, I tell you! For the first time in years. Still I mysteriously had fun.

Eigen

The last game I had to stop playing because I just got so angry and I was pretty much screaming fuckasscuntbitch and other nice words like that all of the time was Quake Live. It's crazy fast and sooo twitchy.

Nice game in theory, just that in practice I suck at it. One match I lost so badly I became bored and killed myself like a 100 times by jumping into the lava. I had -100 frags. I felt better. It did hurt the statistics of my player account though ... I don't remember Quake 3 or other shooters being so out of my reach. I did manage to get first place in a few rounds (7 out of ~40 to be precise) and that was really exciting. I mean getting the last winning frag in the last second basically. These games were hectic to say the least.

InCreator

A friends of mine play Heroes of Newerth (HoN) alot.  Tried to pull me into game. Fun, social game and what else.

This is basically a real-time strategy without buildings and units, every player has single warcraft3-style-hero-type unit which aquires skills over levelling.
And it's horrible, horrible game to learn. Players were such an a-holes, they started immediately flaming and quitting midpoint in every game when my character wasn't as high level as everyone else. It's mathematical game alright, if a team member falls behind in levelling, defeat for this side is quite likely, but such acting is outrageous and how the hell are you supposed to learn?
It's not like people born with game skills, you gotta play it to learn it. But noo--'
After 10 or so tries (even though I specifically picked servers that were labelled as "newbie friendly, noobs welcome" - they were NOT) I simply gave up.

I will never play any DotA clone again. Fun, social game my arse.

an Urpney

I'll never forget fighting Arnold in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (Fist mode). I've never defeated him in hand-to-hand combat to this day, but on my first playthrough I didn't realize there's a hidden puzzle to kill him and I tried. And I tried. And I tried. And all you could hear from my computer room was: "Yes! Yes! Yes! ... FUUUCK!" Good memories.

Minsc (along with Korgan, Viconia and Edwin) is one of characters I usually have in my party. Aerie, I hate. To the point of romancing with her just to get her vampirized by Bohdi and leaving her carcass in some dump.
And while replaying Planescape: Torment I'm always tempted to kill Vhalior - by making him doubt his belives for super-good character, in hand-to-hand combat for any other character.
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

R4L

I've been playing a rom hack lately for Super Metroid. It's called Super Metroid Redesign and while it is amazing, some of the power bomb expansions and missile expansions are extremely difficult to get, usually requiring some tricks to get.

Therefore, I've been throwing f-bombs for the past hour trying to get a single missile expansion.  :-X

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk