Noooo I've tried everything! Game files corrupt :(

Started by Jakey, Wed 30/05/2012 21:04:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakey

:'(
I postponed backing up this month. Game Over.

I tried deleting the user file, and replacing the .agf file with the back up. No luck.

EchosofNezhyt

Just don't delete anything I'm pretty sure you can fix this.

Do you have some plugins cause I don't think ags uses xml does it?

Deu2000

EchosofNezhyt

Ah. Um... Just wait till someone who knows more, until then I wouldn't touch the files.

Jakey

I guess I put most of the work into the script files anyways, and those were still salvageable. I started over and going to make frequent backups this time ^^

monkey0506

The AGF XML file is pretty simple, so it could possibly even be corrected by hand. I've heard of this happening, though honestly I haven't got the slightest idea when/why it would be (it's never happened to me, knock on wood). The Game.agf.bak file should only be getting written if the creation of the AGF file was complete and without error (at least AFAIK, if not that's a major flaw in the back-up system).

Basically the AGF file is just a way for the editor to load the resources without having to manually parse each resource file, and then try and determine between resources that are actually part of the project and ones that aren't (such as room or script files which have been excluded from the game, but still exist in the project folder). So your scripts, rooms, sprites, etc. should mostly be in-tact unless those individual files also got corrupted.

As for the GUIs, I believe the editor actually reads back those values only from the AGF file, so that would have to be manually recreated.

If you were able to start a new project and salvage most of your resources, then it's probably not even an issue anyway, but I just wanted to give some options in case the same thing comes up again (you can open the AGF file in any text-editor and compare it against an uncorrupted one).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk