Release Something 2012! Time's up!

Started by ThreeOhFour, Sat 02/06/2012 15:20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

ThreeOhFour

Hello, AGS community. How are you? That's good. What have you been up to? I don't know anymore because you never tell me!

It's time to change this!

It has been a whole darn year since the last Release Something and that means it's time to show us what you've all been working on! Post screenshots, animations, game demos, tech demos, rolling demos, voice demos, code modules, game music, I don't care what it is, but show us!

Show a sneaky screenshot of that super secret AGS game you've been making but don't want to do a GiP thread for. We're curious! Making a game that's not in AGS and so don't want to post it because you're too polite? Post it here! Just learning to draw and you're starting to create some game assets? Show us!

We love you, AGSers. You have until the end of June.

Release something.

veryweirdguy

FINE, JEEZ, STOP ASKING.

I've been keeping this to myself, but I'm working on some animation stuff (nothing to do with AGS I'm afraid.) Here's a test thingy I've done for it!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppsukWpIn5o

So, there's that!

I might show you guys some stuff from my current AGS thing as well IF YOU ASK NICELY (you don't have to ask nicely.)

(PS Ben why aren't you showing anything you're making me sad.)

arj0n

A screeny of a bit less easy level of Blockz:

CaptainD

The transporter animation from the Captain Disaster game I'm working on:

monkey0506

Guess there's no need to release Beta 4 when I could just post this screenshot.:) (roll)

DoorKnobHandle

This is the current state of my real-time strategy game called "Troopers" - made with AGS!

[embed=560,315]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hEdTM9iMxr8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

And this is a game that I started writing in AGS but then switched to a custom engine and C++. It's like a X-Wing/Wing Commander/Free Space game, an action space sim in other words. It's going to be an actual indie game! :) Check out a 380-posts development thread too, HERE!

[embed=560,315]<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5zVXmxa3OWM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/embed]

Let me know what you guys think!

LostTrainDude

Quite fine, yet busy here, but thanks for asking :D

I'm working on my novice skills as a painter

Other than that, some time ago (maybe December 2011-January 2012) I wrote this script, testing some sort of simple "Morality" system.

Code: AGS
// Morality.asc

// Variables for each morally influenced action
int renegade = 0;  // Increases with bad actions
int paragon = 0;   // Increases with good actions
int fame = 0;      // Increases whenever the player chooses to act, both in a good and bad way
export renegade, paragon, fame;

function GoodActDone() 
{
  // Happens when the player chooses to act in a good way
  // He becomes less a renegade and more a paragon
  // Fame increases, since he chose to act
  renegade--;
  paragon++;
  fame++;
}

function GoodActNotDone()
{
  // Happens when the player chooses not to act when could do a good action
  // He becomes more a renegade
  // He gets no fame, since he avoided to act
  renegade++;
}

function BadActDone()
{
  // Happens when the player chooses to act in a bad way
  // He becomes less a paragon and more a renegade
  // Fame increases, since he chose to act
  renegade++;
  paragon--;
  fame++;
}

function BadActNotDone()
{
  // Happens when the player chooses not to act when could do a bad action
  // He becomes more a paragon
  // He gets no fame, since he avoided to act
  paragon++;
}

Code: AGS
//Morality.ash
#define TOT_REP (paragon + renegade) / fame

import int paragon;
import int renegade;
import int fame;

import function GoodActDone();
import function GoodActNotDone();
import function BadActDone();
import function BadActNotDone();
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

Vince Twelve

I suppose I could release something around, say, the 19th of this month...

DKH, that space game looks amazing!

Igor Hardy

Wow - this thread has a very matrixy edge to it - walls of code that you have to reinterpret in your brain to see the glourious game worlds.

I shall add an aproppriate taste(r) of my current project tomorrow.

Dave Gilbert

Quick programmer sketch of something that might end up in the next Blackwell game:

The color squiggles are supposed to be graffiti!

WHAM

I think the image speaks volumes in itself.

Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

kconan

Here is a fun little AGS screenshot:

Troopers looks awesome DKH!

Icey

Not what I plan to release but instead, rather show.

It's a concept plan of a shooter game. I have it all worked out how I will make but I just don't know yet if I am able to code it as of now :/

Plus Downloadable Outfits for PMQ.Legends and PMQ.Online.

Igor Hardy

And here's my "something". These are 2 temp (very temp!) images from The Thought Saved for Last where you have to rewire thoughts inside a man's gradually shrinking brain before his mind loses all connection to reality, or even dies. You know - after Snakes of Avalon I decided to make something darker and more serious in tone.

It's going to be a highly non-linear, turn-based adventure game with experimental interface, multiple endings, and this time YOU're the one who constructs the main character's inner narrations and perceptions.

The thoughts you manage to save for the last few turns determine the ending.

I've been working on this for months and the technical side has taken a lot of the time, but starting this weekend I'm finally focusing on finalizing the graphic assets (for AGS 720p), so expect a proper WIP thread within a week or 2. Though I do admit I was wrong in such estimates before.

WHAM

Quote from: Pub master on Sun 03/06/2012 18:22:25
It's a concept plan of a shooter game. I have it all worked out how I will make but I just don't know yet if I am able to code it as of now :/

Does anyone even think Isiah will pull this off? We haven't even seen a single proper game from this guy and now he's doing a shooter with AGS.
Bwahahahaha!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

CaptainD

Igor, that looks like a fascinating project you've got there!  (nod)

Icey

Quote from: WHAM on Sun 03/06/2012 19:19:32
Quote from: Pub master on Sun 03/06/2012 18:22:25

Does anyone even think Isiah will pull this off? We haven't even seen a single proper game from this guy and now he's doing a shooter with AGS.
Bwahahahaha!

Foolish creature, I have enough on my plate to deal with. I always make up pictures like these to help settle the thought of the game. This is good for me so I don't rush in there and try to start making a new game when I got 50 others to finish.

So I don't plan on working on this until I finished a lot of my other works.

But I plan to release a little Demo or something small of Mile's Adventure.

selmiak

okay, no GIP thread for this yet, as I work way to little on it, but will concentrate on it again in the future... at least I tell myself so ;)

an overview of a beach of a tropic island where there are evil things going on:

and the same thing with 3 frames of life in it:
Spoiler
[close]

Igor Hardy

Quote from: CaptainD on Sun 03/06/2012 19:35:04
Igor, that looks like a fascinating project you've got there!  (nod)

Thanks Dave! I'm really happy about the game's strange play mechanics. It's going to be pretty different from your traditional adventure game, while still an adventure at its core.

Eric

No one's shared any music in the thread so far (unless I've looked over something), so I thought I might share some things I've been working on. I'm doing demos by creating my sheet music in a program called Guitar Pro, which exports horrible-sounding MIDIs, which, when run through a program called GXSCC, makes really neat sounding 8-bit tunes.

My end goal is not to use the 8-bit tunes, but to record actual versions of the songs with real instruments. I've done a real instrument demo of one of the songs, but I'll share the NES-style versions first:

The Grand Tour (you may recognize this one as an entry in the tunes contest -- it was called 'Keystone Chase' there).

Port Cumulus Rag - This version has a click track, but won't in the real version. This will be a single guitar played in the style of Etta Baker with perhaps a jug bass accompaniment. Here's a PDF of the sheet music & tablature if you'd like to play along at home.

AQ Theme - This is the main theme song for my game / my future transmedia empire. Two verses with lyrics with an instrumental section in between. No vocals on either this version or the one below. I'm not sharing the lyrics either, suckers.

AQ Theme (real instruments) - Here's a demo of the AQ theme with actual instruments. The guitar plays the melody for the lyrics during the verse, and some improvisational soloing during the instrumental bit (though I transcribed the improvising for the above version, and now it's what I play every time). In the final version, I'd love to replace this guitar with a clarinet (and different music, naturally, as the clarinet is a single-note instrument), but I don't know any clarinetists. Any clarinetists out there in AGS land with access to decent recording equipment?

I've got some other tracks I've been noodling with. I'll try to transcribe them before the end of the month and share some versions here.

Dualnames

DKH THAT SPACE GAME IS F3$^&ING AWESOME.

In the meantime for the past year that I've worked on TROICA (and then gave up on it), I've also picked up Primordia.
This is a WIP by Pinback (Victor)

Obviously the guy has no talent. What *I*'ve been doing is putting those god-awful graphics inside the game.

More info and stuff I didn't draw.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Ilyich

Oh, man, I love Release Something threads (has it really been a year already?)! Hope to see much more awesomeness here!

So far - "Troopers" looks adorably charming and "Dead Silent" looks spectacular;
"The Thought Saved for Last" sounds very intriguing and unusual;
Also, it's great to see that the new Blackwell game is in development, and with graffiti to boot!

And, speaking of graffiti, here's a very-WIP screenshot from a game I've been working on a little while back and plan to come back to after I'm done with another super-secret project (that I'll announce real soon). :P

m0ds

Ooh yep love all those exploding spaceships DKH!

Hey Ben...

;)

Ryan Timothy B

Haha I totally forgot about that peeing demo. That feature better be a part of PISS! ;)

Jared

Well I'm carrying on my proud habit of spending a lot of time doing graphics and tinkering around with AGS without actually producing anything.

My now-not-going-to-make-it but still-going-to-finish aborted MAGS game "Troll Quest" WIP... first time I've actually had a scanner to use and experimenting with painting over BGs I've hand drawn. Little more elaborate than what I usually make but...

..I'm not sure if, in the long run it's better than this thing I sketched out in MSPaint in literally ten minutes...

Btw, that was for a recently-aborted and very unambitious hour game I was attempted for lols after missing the MAGS deadline. Sadly fell through because I'm tired and need to work in the morning, so I'd say that's not getting made. But Troll Quest I'd like to get done in a couple of weeks.

I'd STILL like to finish a game that I've had half finished on my harddrive for... well, let's say an embarrassing amount of time and leave it at that. And I have no idea why it isn't finished. Also, it's reached the point where even my still-meagre art skills are making it look dated...

CaptainD

Quote from: Ilyich on Mon 04/06/2012 02:27:30
And, speaking of graffiti, here's a very-WIP screenshot from a game I've been working on a little while back and plan to come back to after I'm done with another super-secret project (that I'll announce real soon). :P

If that's "very WIP", I can't wait to see the finished version!

Anian

God damn it I need to make something.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

CaptainD

Quote from: Anian on Mon 04/06/2012 14:08:42

Anian has released a line of text in the Release Something 2012 thread! :) 8-)

arj0n

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 04/06/2012 14:13:31

Can't wait to see the finished story!
Looking good so far Anian :P

Matti

Wow, nice stuff in here.

I wasn't very productive over the last year, but worked on different projects from time to time.

This is a screenshot of a Flashback-like Action-Jump'n'run I'm working on. It's in a very early stage, I'm still working on the controls.

This has been a little project I've been working on, but I'm not sure if I'll continue it. Your task was to grow plants, raise cattle and produce mana/develop spells with the main goal of building a castle before the other (3) players do so.

Some may remember the little game "Run Away" I did for a MAGS-competition some months ago. I have many many ideas on how to improve and expand the game (real-time scrolling, different landscapes, vehicles and soldiers, 2-player gameplay etc.) but I'm not sure if I'll ever find the time to work on it again.

I still haven't started the game yet, but I'm working on characters from time to time and improved the look of the lady from this thread. Aside from some characters and backgrounds I'm mainly fleshing out the story which needs a lot of improvement.

All of these don't have any priority, because Strider of Feral Lands is still my main project and the most important thing for me. In Addition i haven't really found the time to work on anything over the last months. I hope to do some more work in the future though.

arj0n

@Matti:
That Flashback-like Action-Jump'n'run screenshot on looks awesome.
Hope to see more of it in the near future  ;)

Ponch

Quote from: Arj0n on Mon 04/06/2012 14:16:17
Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 04/06/2012 14:13:31

Can't wait to see the finished story!
Looking good so far Anian :P

I agree! Great opening. I hope he can maintain the momentum as the story unfolds.  :cheesy:

Ryan Timothy B

I'd love to release what I've been working on lately but the programming graphics were stolen from other sources until the programming is done. :X

Snake

I hate this thread...

(mock-up)

I also have a shit-load done on Leitor's Edge, not IN AGS, but getting things organized and put together... finally. It's only been 9 years.
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Grundislav

(Cursor is not final.  Sorry, Ponch)

Ponch

My God, Grundy! That sumptuous background. The sheer size of that cursor! I must... I must CLICK something with it!!!  (nod)

Clearly, you are working on the greatest Oceanspirit Dennis game EVAR! :cheesy:

Also, keep at it Snake. I believe in you!

abstauber

I love this thread! Even though I have nothing new to share, it's so exciting to see all these snapshots of creative work.
..... and somehow I am very attracted to naked hamster's bunny game :D Mr. LimpingFish, low res?? No CGI? *mind blown*

Grim

TCL character roster (not all included):

Radiant

DrSlash

Concept art of one of the Space Quest 12 characters:

Kastchey

1: x2 2: x2 3: x2 4: High-res! :cool: x1!
1&2 are screenshot mockups based on loose ideas for a game, 3 is a remake of my old MAGS game, The Snow Queen, 4 is an attempt at 640x480 resolution, a background+some sprites.

DoorKnobHandle

Thanks for the kind words both here and on Youtube for Troopers and Dead Silent! Some breathtaking work in here so far, gotta love Release Somethings!

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Kastchey on Tue 05/06/2012 16:22:25
1: x2 2: x2 3: x2 4: High-res! :cool: x1!
1&2 are screenshot mockups based on loose ideas for a game, 3 is a remake of my old MAGS game, The Snow Queen, 4 is an attempt at 640x480 resolution, a background+some sprites.

NICE! The first one looks like a oil painting!
Second is cool, Third looks awesome I love the look of the three eyed guy (forgot what there called) and the 4th looks beautiful I'd use it as my wall paper if it didn't have characters in it :P (The charaters look great too!) Stuff like that is why I love pixel art.

LimpingFish

Quote from: abstauber on Tue 05/06/2012 08:10:23
..... and somehow I am very attracted to naked hamster's bunny game :D Mr. LimpingFish, low res?? No CGI? *mind blown*

Thanks! I'm on a major NES buzz at the moment, so I figured I'd try my hand at a NES-esque type of game. I don't know what I'm doing! ;-D

EchosofNezhyt

Quote from: Kastchey on Tue 05/06/2012 18:55:15
@Frito
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii203/Kastchey/mysteria_640x400.png
:)
Thanks for the kind words!

Np thank you.
Hey if you ever get bored I wouldn't mind having you draw a environment for me. I don't have much practice in the way of it.

Privateer Puddin'

By no means final, but the latest thing put in game..

Vince Twelve

In honor of me making what should be my very last edit to Resonance tonight, I'm releasing Resonance's stats for those who are into this kind of thing:

Some other stats:

Rooms: 77
# of Global .asc files (not including the room script files): 15
Lines of code (including white space and commented out lines because I can't be arsed to figure it out otherwise): 106368 (ish)
Lines of recorded speech: 5167
Non-speech Audio tracks (sound fx and music are all mixed up together): 304
Exhausted developers: all of them

veryweirdguy

No inventory items and no dialog? Sounds TERRIBLE.

(Congratulations, and best of luck with the release!)

JJS

Some years ago I figured I could make a game, but I never did anything except what you see here. I don't even had a story and I fail to come up with something non-cliché and compelling. The game was supposed to be horror-themed with the biggest inspiration being Shadow of the Comet.

As you can see, the graphical "gimmick" of the game was the letterboxing with some overhanging elements.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Ponch

I don't have any screenshots to show, since development on this thing isn't that far along yet, but I do have a few model sheets from a little project I'm working on in my free time with a few other AGSers in the old PM box.

These are my designs for the two player characters and their space ship. I won't be the one turning them into sprites, so I'm excited to see how our sprite artist interprets these ladies.

I drew them with a roller ball ink pen on copy paper, and made them into quick character and coloring guides in GIMP, so they're not terribly fancy, but I always like to get a feel for what my characters and their world will look like before I fire up my ancient copy of AGS 2.72 and start working on the game. And the most relaxing way to do that is on the sofa with a sketchbook in my lap, a diet soda in my hand, and reruns of Fantasy Island on the TV.

There. I have released something. Life is good.  8-)

monkey0506

Well, as of today, I have released the Interfacer module v0.80 Beta 4, the Interfacer plugin v0.80 Beta 4, and the Interfacer plugin v0.80 Beta 4 source.

To save you having to read through the rather verbose thread, it's a way to simplify creating your user interface. With the plugin you can set up most aspects of your interface without having to touch a single line of code, from what happens when you click on a GUI button to what happens when you press a button on the keyboard. The module also has some additional options, but you'll have to use some very basic coding. Check it out, I'm taking suggestions on what functionality you'd like to see it take on, and I also posted a list of features that I myself would like to include.

Jakey

Very cool stuff here. I'm too busy at the moment to continue work on my AGS project. So far I've just implemented some grid-based movement (with a few ripped sprites) here's a demo for just the movement aspect of the future game: move demo
Use keyboard to move and 'o' key to open controls menu (I don't recommend assigning a key with 'o' atm).
"Esc" to quit.

When I have more time the next phase with be finishing off interaction with other characters and objects. 

Andail

Hello!
I compiled a few screenshots from my GiP (which is still too fresh to have its proper GiP thread), The Samaritan Paradox:
[imgzoom]http://esseb.com/andail/screens.png[/imgzoom]

It's still a bit rough, but I'm working diligently most of my spare time.

arj0n

Nice Samaritan Paradox screenshots Andail!

CaptainD

Quote from: Andail on Mon 11/06/2012 15:48:02
I compiled a few screenshots from my GiP (which is still too fresh to have its proper GiP thread), The Samaritan Paradox:

WOW.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

DKH, the gameplay video from your game made my eyes explode out of their sockets.  I want a beta immediately!

This stuff looks so good I figured I should show some of the minor progress I've been making with one of my games:

A bit old but only a few people have seen this:
[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/acescreen.gif[/imgzoom]

And this was completed today:
[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/guilesworthspeech1.gif[/imgzoom]

Also, some sprite designs from an rpg I'm messing with:

Ponch

Is this Hard Space: The RPG: The Next Generation? And it that Thaddeus Starfukked in the fist shot? I like it! :cheesy:

Ryan Timothy B

Andail: I'm loving those screenshots. Nice bookshelf and fish tank.
Progz: Those characters are awesome. I'm wondering what type of RPG game it could be for.

EchosofNezhyt

Prog and Andail.... :O Beautiful!

EchosofNezhyt

Andail

Thanks for your praise, my motivation went up 67%.
It was all the beautiful stuff in this thread that made me post something:)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Ponch- Thanks but really, you need to get over the Ocean Spirit Fever (nod).  The first two screenies are from my second Development Hell title, Hillbilly Burger Bastards, which is basically an action/adventure/space combat/exploration hybrid.

Frito Bandito - Thanks!

Ryan and Vince - Thanks!  The sprites are from a political themed rpg that I'm trying to assemble a few good men to help me develop it for an indie commercial release, which hinges on whether or not I get some money together so I can pay everyone.

Ponch

Quote from: ProgZmax on Tue 12/06/2012 11:26:31
Ponch- Thanks but really, you need to get over the Ocean Spirit Fever (nod).

NEVAR!!

Eggie

RPG Work I did today:

List o' quests!
The dots on the side are me counting the quests in the original Fallout and seeing how my game idea measures up, hence...

Further haphazard quest brainstorming to get a feel for what if my game was more Fallout-sized, one of the ones on the tacked-on piece of paper says "Come up with a new name for Lord Gaytrousers" still figuring out how to implement that.

And now an image of THE GREATEST BETRAYAL IN HUMAN HISTORY. I'm sorry. I decided to make the switch this morning. I'll do the honourable thing and never come here again now.

monkey0506

Do the honorable thing and kill yourself, traitor. :D

Igor Hardy

Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 11/06/2012 23:45:07
Nerugn.

This image reminds me of something... I wonder what. :)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Eggy, how about Count Randy Pinchbotty III?

Ghost

Quote from: Eggie on Tue 12/06/2012 19:33:15
And now an image of THE GREATEST BETRAYAL IN HUMAN HISTORY.
Shocking! But if it helps you to find a better name for Lord Gaytrousers, so be it  ;-D

Eggie

I'm thinking of actually having an input box so people can choose their own non-Lord Gaytrousers name. I should research how to do that in Renpy... Goddamn... could do it easily if I was still using AGS regretsregretspanic.

Armageddon

Quote from: Ascovel on Tue 12/06/2012 21:25:11
Quote from: Armageddon on Mon 11/06/2012 23:45:07
Nerugn.

This image reminds me of something... I wonder what. :)
;)

Not exactly relevant but why hasn't Ponch made a game with a boobinventory. It just seems like something he should do to get over the Ocean Spirit Denis stuff.

Ponch

Quote from: Armageddon on Wed 13/06/2012 03:39:39
Not exactly relevant but why hasn't Ponch made a game with a boobinventory. It just seems like something he should do to get over the Ocean Spirit Denis stuff.

1) I am working on such a game. I'm just waiting for Dualnames to get his doctorate before I release it. I'm trying to motivate him.  :=
2) There is no getting over Oceanspirit Dennis. As it turns out, I have an OSD shaped hole in my heart and I've been waiting my entire life for OSD to come along and make me complete.
3) Duke Fairypants? King Flamboyantbritches?
4) Why, Eggie? WHY?!?  :cry: :wink:

Ryan Timothy B

Ponch

6) Baron Ryan FancyPantaloons
7) Archbishop Timothy Merryknickers

:=

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I'm not really sure why anyone would try to make an adventure game in Ren'Py since you'd literally have to script most of it in python yourself...

To get things back on track, here's another screenshot (this time a close-up from one of the previous screens).

Here is Fleet Admiral Guilesworth in the midst of a big speech convincing the forces of Galactic Command to give him permission to venture to the 'Outer Worlds', a collection of planets that have been off-limits since the previous war.  Will his charming self-righteousness prevail?
[imgzoom]http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr218/ProgZmax/guilesworthcloseup-1.gif[/imgzoom]

Eggie

If you make his hand a separate sprite that slowly rises up from the bottom of the screen then you will have achieved perfection.

m0ds

Something! Okay, a couple of things for the light of day! The first is a very short video from FoY, with background art by our new artist Mutbrecht, who is supporting Misja with the task of many a room. You can see the clip here.

Also, you may remember my involvement with Primordia sometime ago. Back when it was going to be freeware and with MIDI. The step beyond that involved me rendering better quality versions of the MIDI files using Chorium and I was in love with a reverb filter. This was the first time I had been able to listen to my MIDI's as something other than MIDI, so went crazy. But as the game evolved into a fully fledged WEG project, the team underwent changes so that the game would be the best it could be. Victor has been very supportive of my work in music, and it was a privilege to work on the game. Here's a rare 64 minutes of concept music I made for it in one long OGG file, so as not to give away any of the story with the track titles and such ;)

Keeping music in mind, I've also added the Living Nightmare: Freedom SE soundtrack which is higher quality renderings of the MIDI's. My only real music project at the moment is Camp Ravenwood (and KI) so you can hear a 'motivational' track here, a retro-styled sample here or a track in its original MIDI format here. And that's about it for now! Maybe "release something" some TCL voice acting before the month is out :)

EchosofNezhyt

Old Apartment, Getting a few things setup before I wreck the hell outta it and age it.

Basic Colored Outline.                                                                A little Lighting

More Details                                                                                 Finishing up.

ThreeOhFour

Beautiful stuff in here guys! The month is about half way done, so if you still haven't released anything, get on that! It's very inspiring to see all of your amazing stuff :cheesy:

I recorded a happy little game/film soundtrack kinda song today for a bit of fun. Music is something I've never done for a game, mostly because I have enough work doing everything else, and because I don't have the best recording setup. Still, if you don't mind listening to something done on a cheap setup that has quite a few mistakes in, you may enjoy Weevils With Umbrellas.

ZapZap

Kastchey could you PLEASE make a background tutorial? which program do you use? I unconciously open my mouth every time I see one of your drawings
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Kastchey

Thanks! I never thought of making a tutorial myself because there's plenty of artists here I could learn from, but I'll be happy to explain how I make my backgrounds if someone is interested.

m0ds, thanks a lot for uploading the tracks! I really liked LNF music, especially the mansion theme, so it's nice to have them on my hard drive in a better quality.

Ali

This is my first 'release something', so here are some things:

Nelly in a junkshop standing still. She does a lot of that at the moment.

Nelly at the Toff Races, with inspired dialogue.

And for no reason, a glass of crab juice. Refreshing!

selmiak

but crap juice tastes like... crab!
*gnihihi*

an Urpney

Quote from: Cleanic on Thu 14/06/2012 17:54:49
Kastchey could you PLEASE make a background tutorial? which program do you use? I unconciously open my mouth every time I see one of your drawings

+1
I'm in love with the first one in this topic ("oil painting" house).
Born to the sound of marching feet,
Trained as a military elite.
Each of us drilled and singled out to be,
An Urpney.

Swordofkings128

I've been working on something since last summer that I've been putting a lot of tender love and care into... it's a game about a suicidal 12 year-old sexually fustrated t-rex boy named Dingis Dinbert, and I don't think I've posted anything publically about it anywhere here! So here's some stuff:

*all graphics are still WIP, some more done than others!!*

Here's some music and an ambient sound also:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20855857/Music18.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20855857/Music34.mp3

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20855857/ccokie_suburbs%20ambience%201.mp3

entire game's mostly playable but I'm only about 55% done with everything... But it'll be a lengthy adventure, I'm up to like... 65 playable rooms I think? There's 100 total but a lot of them are close up scenes of important things and events. I don't see it growing much past this point though. There will be TONS of optional content and sequences. There will be lots of nudity, sexuality, sex, language, that kind of stuff in the game so it's not for the kiddies! Hopefully it'll be done sometime this year ;_;

edit: One more for good measure :P

edit: AND this is the logo I made for my pretentious fake studio behind the game XP
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20855857/logofinal.mp4

kconan

Looks great Swordofkings!  And seems original in terms of both look and idea.

m0ds

Quote from: Kastchey on Fri 15/06/2012 18:24:40
m0ds, thanks a lot for uploading the tracks! I really liked LNF music, especially the mansion theme, so it's nice to have them on my hard drive in a better quality.

Thanks Kastchey! I love those dramatic backgrounds you posted :) Definitely a lot of great artwork (and potential games) in this here thread! Your stuff there looks ace swordofkings, static Nelly's, even Andail out of Tulles world retirement... what more could you ask for? :)

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: m0ds on Sat 16/06/2012 18:30:27
what more could you ask for? :)
Righty McBollock: Night of the Other Testicle.

Adder

Wow, everyone's doing really great stuff!

I'm very new to posting in these forums but have been slowly whittling away at a game for quite some time now and I thought I'd post a few pictures up here.
They're just works in progress at the moment, I've not coloured them (amongst other things) but here goes:

This one has a few coloured (but not yet finished) sprites in:

These next two feature a little colour-balancing, mostly for my own reference:

I guess it's pretty obviously a sci-fi thing, a mystery involving corporate espionage and (hopefully)amusing alien bartenders.  I hope to be able to post a 'Game in Production' thread in the not-too-distant future.

I look forward to seeing more of all these projects in this thread.

CaptainD

Adder - really cool concept sketches you've got there!  Can't wait to see what you turn them into for the game.

Armageddon

Woah Adder, I love that style, very Blade Runner/Anachronox-esque. Very good composition. Are they just pencil sketches scanned in?

Clarvalon

Horribly broken at the moment, but Android has finally joined the XAGE Party: 

XAGE - Cross-Platform Adventure Game Engine (alpha)

Adder

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback CaptainD and Armageddon.
Quote from: Armageddon on Sat 16/06/2012 22:06:06
...very Blade Runner/Anachronox-esque... Are they just pencil sketches scanned in?
Bladerunner's a strong influence, although I hadn't heard of Anachronox until you mentioned it (I just tapped it and it looks very cool, seems to be very much the sort of feel I'm aiming for).
And yes, the sketches are just scanned pencils.
Cheers,

EchosofNezhyt

Adder very awesome style man, you know a art peice is good when the sketches are super interesting.

nihilyst

First version of a CD cover for the upcoming side-series of my detective radio play series 'Hastings & Grey'. The side-series is called 'Zwischenfälle' (which in German can mean both 'incidents' and 'the inbetween-cases') and will feature radio play and audio-book episodes that are not in the canon of the main series. The first episode is called 'Kein einladender Ort' ('An uninviting place').
[imgzoom]http://www.longwayhome.de/zeug/H&G_ZF_cover_01.jpg[/imgzoom]

The image is a composition of many different photographs (both my own and some found on imageafter.com) and needs some further touching-up in the main area.

ZayanM

Nice entries.

Here is some art from a game I was making with AGS.

I don't plan on finishing it. It was all done back in 2007 and like many back then, I didn't think I still would not have finished something 5 years later!

Igor Hardy

Adder and Swordofkings - most intriguing projects you have there. Keep it up having them look this good.

gameboy

Neat thread!

Just a little something from a game I haven't touched for almost a year, but may continue one day.

And something else:

m0ds

Nice!! But what's happened with both of your projects gameboy??

EchosofNezhyt

Nice style gamebool, Its very clean/detailed and stylish.

monkey0506

Hey Frito float Master, his name is gameboy not gamebool. :P

In any case, love the work in this thread. Would love even more if any of these projects were released by the end of the month! :D

gameboy

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 19/06/2012 23:42:51
Nice!! But what's happened with both of your projects gameboy??

They're still in the works, even though I haven't been very active in few months. I do believe Roadworks is the closest to completion.

steptoe

Hi

* Is your game ever good enough?
* Should you release it?
* Are your graphics A1 in relation to your game?
* Is your story line gripping enough?
* Ran out of ideas?

Any Negatives of these reasons can halt a game in its tracks.

Maybe you have decided that the game was not a good idea and decided to leave it? (Hands up).

As humans we usually shy away at the first signs of failure or have second thoughts: doubt.

Yet it is through failure that we succeed, provided of course we follow basic rules (RTFM), take advice from seasoned game makers and coders (You know who your are) and take note of comments/reviews.

I say (at almost 57): Make, make, make and don't procrastinate or fill your head with negatives. Learn and create.

It was nearly 3 years before I took the first step to make a full game. Well, it was the first/second ags versions. I have much more to learn and with each game I try to use a new skill and one day I will release a blinding game. Until then.....

It's a shame some of the games mentioned never got made  :~(

Carry on carrying on (laugh)
It's not over until the fat lady sings..

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

With me it's more like:

1.  Come up with great idea for a game.
2.  Work on it alone.
3.  Game explodes in size and scope.
4.  Loss of interest.

I'm really trying to finish at least two of the games I've been working on but as they've both become design behemoths it's just a bit daunting.

Ghost

Quote from: ProgZmax on Fri 22/06/2012 00:07:28
2.  Work on it alone.
4.  Loss of interest.

That sounds so terribly familiar!

Eggie

1. Have great idea for game/script/comic/animation/whatever
2. Pour many hours into it
3. Realize it is not actually that good
4. Work on it some more hours
5. Realize it is terrible
6. Realize that I am a wasted husk of a man
7. Cry
8. Cry
9. Cry
10. Cry
11. Mope
12. Despair
13. Eat a biscuit
14. Forget pain
15. Move on
16. Repeat step 1

Ilyich

Yes, terribly, terribly familiar process. :)
With me it's usually a mix of ProgZ's and Eggie's versions, only with less crying and more despair. :D

This thread does cheer me up, though! So much wonderful stuff! Let's see...

Kastchey: I love your expressive, rough, painterly style! It's very dynamic and balances between abstraction and detail well.

Andail: While relatively simplistic, it looks really, really great! I want this game already! :)

Ali: This is, obviously, truly impressive. You've developed a very distinctive, interesting and beautiful visual style for Nelly. I think her eye looks a bit strange, though. And hooray for the maneki-neko! :)

Adder: This is probably my favourite thing in the topic! Cannot help but love the Bladerunner-y stuff, and judging by the art from your website, which I loved, this is only going to get so much better. Can't wait to see more!

Ponch

1.  Come up with mediocre (fair to middlin' at best) idea for a game.
2.  Work on it alone (so alone).
3.  Game slowly (so slowly) creeps towards completion.
4.  Sidetracked by my love of drawing boobies (yay boobies! \o/).
5. Game completed three years after I promised it would be. Drawer filled with pencil sketches of boobies (Scan and send to Dualnames).

Yep. That's pretty much how every game I've ever made was put together. It's my formula for success.  ;-D

Anian

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 22/06/2012 06:39:15
5. Game completed three years after I promised it would be. Drawer filled with pencil sketches of boobies (Scan and send to Dualnames).
There might be a good demotivational poster there "Boobies - best reason for prolonging game development" or something.
I don't want the world, I just want your half

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

"Boobies - best reason for enlarging game development"

LimpingFish

2.  Work on it alone.
4.  Loss of interest.

Yep. That about sums it up.

m0ds

For everyone except Chris "LimpingFish" Chris.

Who, by the way, will be releasing

Very soon.

Won't you Chris?

will be on general release in July - right?

is included in Summerbatch, yes?

You haven't lost interesting making

?

;)

Ponch

Quote from: m0ds on Sun 24/06/2012 01:04:55
For everyone except Chris "LimpingFish" Chris.

Limpingfish's name is Chris Chris? That explains everything! Growing up with a name like that, it must have driven him mad. That explains his  (clearly insane) love of hairless hamsters!  ;)

Vince Twelve

2.  Work on it alone.
4.  Loss of interest.

Never give up!  Never surrender!  (By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings!)

Dualnames

Quote from: Ponch on Fri 22/06/2012 06:39:15

Yep. That's pretty much how every game I've ever made was put together. It's my formula for success.  ;-D

I'm glad i get the best out of each project. ^___^
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteNever give up!  Never surrender!  (By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings!)

Says the guy who had art slaves working on his game for five years   (nod)

Eric

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Sun 24/06/2012 06:40:54
Never give up!  Never surrender!  (By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings!)

An underrated classic. Enrico Colantoni is especially good in that one.

Chicky

First i would like to say, all really really cool contributions this year. I sort of have two somethings. The first, a work in progress of my most recent background, player character and a sneak peek at a GUI concept!

Secondly the news that i am working on the above game and that i am very confident about a 2012 release date! Heh, yay for releasing lines of text :=

Ghost

Ben made me do it!!!
Somewhat ancient, but I always like the way MM and Zak could create believable, different characters with just ONE crude base model.

[imgzoom]http://i.imgur.com/xPcXJ.png[/imgzoom]

Ponch

I'll be sad to see June come to an end. This thread has been very enjoyable. Only one week left, and yet it continues to impress. :)

Ilyich

Chicky: looking great! I love the soft colours and precise pixel art, good luck with that release date!  :)

Eric

If you've seen the thread where I was previously sharing art stuff, you'll know that I was having a bit of a crisis trying to reconcile the cartoony style that I wanted for my game with the semi-realism that was coming from stringent frameworks for animation, background art perspective, etc.

Some time this week, I realized that one of the solutions might be temporarily setting aside the cartoonish game and going with the semi-realistic flow. So that's what I'm messing about with now. I've still been making walk sprites mostly. This is a main character, and I'm experimenting with making different walks based on his mood (I'm also going through Richard Williams' animation book). This is my favorite so far (except for the hands, which I need to do from scratch -- I copied these over from an old image -- and the pants legs, which need a little more bounce), the tough-guy-girding-up-the-loins-to-head-into-battle-walk.

I'm still taking a break from sharing most things, but I didn't want June to pass without participating in this thread one more time.

Igor Hardy

2.  Work on it alone.
4.  Loss of interest.

Hmmm... I never really lost interest in a game project so far, but - sadly - that didn't turn me into a crazy game-making machine.

I think finalizing production of any worthwhile game is hell. Especially, if you're doing it in your spare time.

Tramponline

Very neat, Eric! Very Raymond Chandler-ish. (really kind of miss your work in progress thread, by the way)

Basically I want to get my hands on all the projects in this thread.
Very, very inspiring guys!

This thread is one of the most interesting and most frustrating ones! (realising I still got nothing to show for/ CURSE YOU BEN!)

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Tramponline on Mon 25/06/2012 20:14:34
This thread is one of the most interesting and most frustrating ones! (realising I still got nothing to show for/ CURSE YOU BEN!)

I shall invite you to re-curse me when I politely point out that there is still time left to Release Something 2012â,,¢.

:=

Ponch

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Tue 26/06/2012 02:25:34
I shall invite you to re-curse me when I politely point out that there is still time left to Release Something 2012â,,¢.

This is absolutely true, Trampoline. I totally half-assed my post just so I could say I contributed to Release Something 2012â,,¢. You can do the same. I have faith in you!  :cool:

Nikolas

It all should be games related? :( Cause other than Resonance I don't have much to offer around this time of the year in the general area of computer games...

But an awesome thread, of course!

ThreeOhFour

I wouldn't say no to music from another project of yours, Nik.

Armageddon

All these should be reviewed in a segment on BlueCupTools(TM), starting with my entry of course. ;-D

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Oh, and what's this?  Footage from an actual game?  OH NO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltjlOuxm4MU

EchosofNezhyt

Jaffles

@ ProgZmax, that's a tough act to follow! Awesome trailer, certainly got me interested :D

Anyway, here's a screen from Reon Quest Episode 2: Escape From Bully Island. Looks like it won't just be Draco doing the adventuring this time around!

And trust me, he knows what he's saying. It's a journey he's made SEVERAL times...

ThreeOhFour

The addition of HBB to the thread is a most pleasing one.

Chicky

Quote from: Ilyich on Mon 25/06/2012 15:46:39
Chicky: looking great! I love the soft colours and precise pixel art, good luck with that release date!  :)

Thank you Ilyich, i try so very hard to keep all my pixels clean. Messy little pups :D As you know i think your summerbatch contribution looks grade A awesome!

Snake: Yes!! Castle of Fire!

Andail: Lots of atmosphere in each one of those shots, the aquarium is a nice touch. I look forward to your GIP thread, and a little more info on the story!

ProgZ: HBB looks great, you have the retro look down to a fine art. The music is perfect.

Ali: Take my money already!

Adder: You have style! I can't wait to hear a bit more, i'm interested in seeing how you go about adding colour to the backgrounds :smiley:

m0ds

Yeah, nice surprise - looking good teh chick!

ThreeOhFour

That's it! Time's up everybody!

Thanks to everyone who contributed stuff to the thread, it was incredibly inspiring as always to see what you've been up to.

Now, off to work so you've all got something to show for next year's Release Something :D

Tabata

YEAH - What a great thread!
I am always excited about all the releases. 

Thank you all for coming up with “something”.

It makes a cool trip goin' through all the stuff.

Ponch

Whew! The pressure's off for another year. Thank goodness! Now I can go back to being lazy again without feeling guilty.  :=

Nice work, everyone.  :cool:

Icey

Woop! Oh snizzaps I was supposed to release something...Oh well, I think it's better to release a demo after everything I want in it is added ad tested.

Andail

If you haven't declared it in this thread, you may not release anything in 2012.
It's like failing to declare an int before using it in a function.

Ponch

Quote from: Andail on Sun 01/07/2012 21:48:38
If you haven't declared it in this thread, you may not release anything in 2012.
It's like failing to declare an int before using it in a function.

{
Display("I don't see any brackets in that post, Andail. You're going to wind up with a nested function if you're not careful.");
// BETA MESSAGE: Remember to add lots of extra brackets before releasing this build of AGS Forums 3.0.x, just in case!!!
ShakeScreen(10);
}

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk