Getting 404s for every page in the manual for v3.0...

Started by Scraseface, Fri 13/04/2012 10:19:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Scraseface

Returning to AGS after a long time, and upon looking up the manual for v3.0, each section I tried clicking on displayed a 404. It seems a little odd that the entire manual being inaccessable wouldn't get noticed, but maybe I just happened to stumble upon it while it wass still quite a recent problem? Anyway, I was trying to look up a few pages on the site the other day, and getting 404s then too, so I think it may be the site, and not the fault of my browser or anything. Either way, I tried to search for other people posting about the problem and didn't find anything to indicate that anyone else had encountered the problem, so I tried accessing the pages on my Mac. Still didn't work though.

For clarification, the place I'm trying to access the manual from is here:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/StartingOff.htm

...and all the links in the main section (not the side menu) give me 404s when I click on them.

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. The 404s say to report them in the forums, but the description for this forum says to report engine, editor and forum bugs here, and makes no mention of site issues. I'm guessing it does extend to them, but when I tried to find a sticky or something listing what to post and what not to post in certain forums, I couldn't find one. So I apologise if this is the incorrect place for this thread.

AGA

Okay, thanks for letting us know.  The website is currently being overhauled, so this should be fixed sooner or later.

However, there are a load of tutorials available on the AGS Wiki in the meantime.

Scraseface

Okay, thanks. I tried finding some tutorial stuff about AGS v3.0 (and up) on the Wiki, but could not find any. Although I didn't look around for too long, so I'll take another look. The last version of AGS I used was v2.7.1 I think, so I really just need to be brought up to speed with the new version. I'm quite excited about it because I've heard that it's a bit simpler to use, and while I do my best to understand the technical side of things I don't really have a natural talent for it; I'm more of a creative type.

Snarky

If you download the AGS editor, it does come with the manual, and you can see all the tutorials there.

And I think this is the right forum to report site bugs, but we just restructured the forums last night, and are still working out some of the details.

Scraseface

Okay, great, I was going to take a look at the updated manual first just to check the new version out, and then download it afterwards. But there's no reason I HAVE to wait to upgrade.

cat

I think the different AGS versions don't replace each other but you can have them on your PC side by side. So just download and give it a try.

Stee

This is something I had on my pc ages ago (its dated 2009?)

The AGS Tutorial Documentation (not sure if complete)

I believe this is what those broken links went to  ;-D

http://steecampbell.co.uk/AGS/AGSTutorial.pdf

EDIT: Before anyone asks the reason its in this format is because I compiled it this way as I felt a pdf format was better than needing to view the website all the time (turns out I was right  :) )
<Babar> do me, do me, do me! :D
<ProgZMax> I got an idea - I reached in my pocket and pulled out my Galen. <timofonic2> Maybe I'm a bit gay, enough for do multitask and being romantical

emptyhead41

Just to echo the OP. The 'Starting Off' section of the manual (http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/manual/StartingOff.htm) is still giving 404s for each of the tutorial links in that section (1-9). Could be a bit off-putting for newcomers.

AGA

Okay, fixed this now.  Turns out the files were there all along, just in a different location.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk