[OLD-1] AGS engine Linux port

Started by BigMc, Sun 03/06/2012 19:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

BigMc

I'll have a look at the scaling first and then upload another build (today). It is ok if I make autoscaling the default as suggested in the last post?

Sslaxx

Using with the demo version of the game? I've got the full game installed and the Linux binaries built.

This is interesting. Using the game's data files with a freshly-compiled executable is giving me sound corruption/speed issues (at random it seems, for at least a couple of seconds and usually longer).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

scottchiefbaker

Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 04/02/2013 20:32:52
This is interesting. Using the game's data files with a freshly-compiled executable is giving me sound corruption/speed issues (at random it seems, for at least a couple of seconds and usually longer).

Can you provide more details? You're using an engine compiled today (after the big checkin of savegame stuff)? What game are you having problems with? Gemini Rue?

Sslaxx

Quote from: scottchiefbaker on Mon 04/02/2013 21:04:26
Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 04/02/2013 20:32:52

Can you provide more details? You're using an engine compiled today (after the big checkin of savegame stuff)? What game are you having problems with? Gemini Rue?
Yup. Compiled today using the savegame changes, using it with the full version of Gemini Rue.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

scottchiefbaker

Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 04/02/2013 21:25:44
Yup. Compiled today using the savegame changes, using it with the full version of Gemini Rue.

Where did you experience slowdowns? I just watched the whole intro, and walked around the first two screens for three minutes. No issues.

BigMc

Here is the new build: http://people.debian.org/~thansen/ags+libraries_20130204.tar.xz

I added automatic selection of the appropriate StdScale filter for the case that no filter is set, but did nothing to make sure that the screen resoltion is not changed.

EDIT: By the way, missing menu sound and rain in Gemini Rue are expected, because they were disabled by the creators unless you use Windows.

Sslaxx

Quote from: BigMc on Mon 04/02/2013 22:04:52
Here is the new build: http://people.debian.org/~thansen/ags+libraries_20130204.tar.xz

I added automatic selection of the appropriate StdScale filter for the case that no filter is set, but did nothing to make sure that the screen resoltion is not changed.

EDIT: By the way, missing menu sound and rain in Gemini Rue are expected, because they were disabled by the creators unless you use Windows.
Not worried about the missing rain sounds, aware that that's due to platform issues. Issues noticed primarily during the introduction sequence, during the start of the game and sometimes when you switched tasks.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

scottchiefbaker

Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 04/02/2013 22:17:36
Not worried about the missing rain sounds, aware that that's due to platform issues. Issues noticed primarily during the introduction sequence, during the start of the game and sometimes when you switched tasks.

I did not experience any of the sound or delay problems you mentioned. I'm running Fedora 64 bit, what are you running?

Sslaxx

Quote from: scottchiefbaker on Tue 05/02/2013 00:04:01
Quote from: Sslaxx on Mon 04/02/2013 22:17:36

I did not experience any of the sound or delay problems you mentioned. I'm running Fedora 64 bit, what are you running?
Ubuntu 12.10, 32-bit.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

scottchiefbaker

I've packaged up GeminiRue per Wadjet's request. Here is the beta version that I'm proposing to give to them to start their Linux beta testing. Anyone care to take this package out for a test drive and give me any feedback before I send it off to Wadjet.

[link to full commercial game removed by moderator]

I'd like to get something to them tomorrow in the morning.

s_d

Looking good so far, Scott.  I am hearing some audio glitching on my office workstation which is not present on my laptop (both 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04), but I did run updates and have not rebooted.  I'm hoping it's that;  it's occurring on other games as well (Shivah demo), though audio works fine on a music player and for HTML5 videos in a browser.  Another note;  on a multi-monitor setup (with full-screen and StdScale2 by default) it's looking pretty tiny, and split down the middle on my setup.

Is this binary the version with BigMC's StdScale auto-select?  If so, then I suggest removing the gfxfilter setting from acsetup.cfg completely.

Again, my (brief) test on the laptop had no troubles at all.

Also, that's not the demo... you probably ought to pull the URL tomorrow after you deliver it to them  8-)

s_d

Quote from: s_d on Tue 05/02/2013 01:54:36
Is this binary the version with BigMC's StdScale auto-select?

It appears that it is not... in testing for it, Gemini Rue just came up as a tiny postage stamp on my monitor :)

s_d

I think I can confirm what Sslaxx saw, and it is, indeed the same glitching as I observed on my workstation.  When I observed it in The Shivah, it sounded so awful that I shut it off without noticing any speed distortion.  This time in Gemini Rue, however, my save was right before a cut-scene (Matthias' apartment), and in my case, game speed and audio were accelerated.  Should I have a peek through the sources and see if I can find where in the code the engine speed or script interpreter speed is governed?

If anyone has seen timing bugs like this, a pointer to where to begin debugging would be greatly appreciated.  I'm suspicious of this entirely being AGS's fault, though, as it persists between game loads, so I'm really not sure where this hysteresis is coming from.  Perhaps some odd Allegro problem?

Edit:  I have video clips of the bug/glitch in action, and could put them somewhere if that would help (they are 2MB and 5MB).

Crimson Wizard

Is this problem you mention anyhow similar to what I reported a while ago here?: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/issues/18

E: The BigMC's auto-filter seem working for me on Windows. If I don't have a filter set in config file, it will calculate monitor/game resolution ratio and set maximal possible filter.
This is not a problem for linux, I guess, but for Windows we need to add "Auto" option in the filter list in setup window, because as soon as you run setup at least once, the "None" will be set for filter.

s_d

Progress!  I think we're OK, after all.

Crimson Wizard; no, I don't think it's like that.  I have a video clip I could share (not sure what the best way is).  It's very distinctive, and involves no repetition.

Sslaxx;  please try restarting PulseAudio when this glitches out.  Simply run pulseaudio -k and wait a second or two.  For me, I hear the DAC pop softly when it comes back up, then I see the audio control icon change to the "muted" graphic and change back, and lastly reset to my default volume.  After doing this, the game's behavior and audio go back to normal.

If this is actually PulseAudio losing it's brain, then it's nothing to do with AGS (unless we're perturbing it somehow), and further explains the hysteresis.  Aside from being mystified at how the actual gameplay speed could be linked to the glitching, I'm feeling very confident in this build, now... 8-)

BigMc

Quote from: scottchiefbaker on Tue 05/02/2013 00:19:55
Anyone care to take this package out for a test drive and give me any feedback before I send it off to Wadjet.

Here, autoscaling is disabled, because gfxfilter=StdScale2 is set in acsetup.conf. Also, is ags_shell.dll a Windows plugin?

JJS

Quote from: BigMc on Tue 05/02/2013 08:25:49Also, is ags_shell.dll a Windows plugin?
There is a function stub for it in the engine. This plugin basically provides access to the ShellExecute Windows API function. The Gemini Rue Demo uses it to open a website in the browser.
Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

BigMc

So the file is not needed on Linux right?

JJS

Ask me about AGS on PSP, Android and iOS! Source, Daily builds

Crimson Wizard

The version label built in program is "3.21.1115", although the build is technically not 3.21.1115 anymore (and for quite a long time already).
Since it is going to be used for official game releases (commercial or not), I think it would be appropriate if the version is updated.
We just have to think this out carefully and preview what consequences such change will have (if any).
I am going to investigate more on this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk