[OLD-1] AGS engine Linux port

Started by BigMc, Sun 03/06/2012 19:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

A player notes that the AGS engine doesn't work well on Ubuntu Mate, reporting problems with audio playback and with a single screen being spread over two desktop windows. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not familiar with the "mate" version of Ubuntu.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Mon 26/12/2016 18:40:56
A player notes that the AGS engine doesn't work well on Ubuntu Mate, reporting problems with audio playback and with a single screen being spread over two desktop windows. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm not familiar with the "mate" version of Ubuntu.
Both of those two problems were reported before.

But I guess we must just admit that AGS does not support Linux. Over years no one actually took on maintaining the Linux version, so the chances anything will be fixed are close to zero.
Same goes for the other ports.

morganw

I don't think using Mate instead of anything else would affect the screen being spread over two monitors, and I think ScummVM has the the same issue. Going fullscreen should go to the primary display. For the sound, I've only seen the audio break-up or stutter because of the display scaling increasing the CPU usage of Xorg; you might want to suggest running the game with no scaling and see if that fixes the audio.

2ma2

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 26/12/2016 19:03:45
But I guess we must just admit that AGS does not support Linux. ...

Would the "official" unofficial stance be 'better run it with Wine' instead of 'run it natively with the Linux port'? (I'm not speaking as a dev but as a user.)

morganw

Unofficially, I would say that you will get less rendering issues with the native port but you need a decent-ish CPU to cover the scaling overhead. I've used it with a few different desktop environments and also built and used it on PowerPC, it's been fine in most cases. I've not tried with Hi-DPI though.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: morganw on Fri 20/01/2017 22:17:30
Unofficially, I would say that you will get less rendering issues with the native port but you need a decent-ish CPU to cover the scaling overhead.
We need to make OpenGL renderer working properly on Linux to solve this. It kinda works for other ports now, but it was never made to compile for Linux. Maybe it's not too hard to do, just someone needs to find time to look into this.

Georgeqgreg

For me, sound in AGS 3.4 Linux port is distorted and really fast. (like, double speed)
Ubuntu 14.04, desktop environment doesn't seem to matter, happens in Unity and Xfce, AGS 3.3 engine is fine.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Georgeqgreg on Wed 25/01/2017 04:18:55
For me, sound in AGS 3.4 Linux port is distorted and really fast. (like, double speed)
Ubuntu 14.04, desktop environment doesn't seem to matter, happens in Unity and Xfce, AGS 3.3 engine is fine.

I cannot think of anything that has changed in regards to sound in between those versions. Do you build engine yourself, or use prebuilt binaries?

Georgeqgreg

First I tried the prebuilt binaries (included with the AGS Editor, which I've been using on Wine, but that's another story.) and then I tried building my own when I noticed problems. The only difference is that the one I built was for some reason HUGE. (20MB!) Uhh, but sound was still as messed up. Interestingly, the sound seems faster if I switch to my laptop's built in speakers, compared to HDMI speaker output. (Setting wrong sample rate?)

morganw

It sounds a lot like this:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/492467/sound-problems-in-ubuntu-14-04

You could try removing your pulseaudio configuration or try to set the default format and sample rate:
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man5/pulse-daemon.conf.5.html

Georgeqgreg

Indeed, as I thought about this issue, I began to wonder if it was an ALSA issue, then I remembered that when I first started using Ubuntu some games had problems with distorted audio. (Psychonauts comes to mind, if for only how it happened.)

Ahem, however, it seems I've already followed the instructions in the first link, and nothing else seems to have regressed to having problems. (Not sure what I'm supposed to do with the second link.)

One odd thing I observed was when doing some audio work in Audacity, I noticed sometimes when I'd press play the sound would play like in the current AGS, fast and distorted, for about a second before Audacity somehow fixes itself and makes the sound normal. You can even see the little needle move at light speed... weird.

But what really has me stumped is how older AGS versions run just fine. (Specifically, the GOG build of Quest for Infamy still works, and I seem to recall Steam and Humble versions of The Shivah and Gemini Rue working fine too.)

UPDATE: Hey, guess what guys? After messing with the PulseAudio default.pa (and I think at this point Pulse was the culprit) I eventually decided to restore my original config, with a key difference.

So you know how morganw earlier posted a link that suggested to add tsched=0 to fix audio problems? Well, months earlier, when I first started using Ubuntu, (And indeed, any GNU/Linux distro regularly) I did that because Psychonauts, and like, half my other Steam games, had audio problems. But guess what? when I removed it AGS 3.4 works. And it doesn't break Psychonauts, or any other game currently on my hard drive either! So if it's all the same to you guys I'm just gonna throw my arms up and chant "PULSEAUDIO IS WEIRD."

(The reason I remember Psychonauts specifically... when I first tried it, I had accidentally set audio for 22db amplification. Combine that with the fact that Psychonauts, like most linux games, locks mouse and keyboard input... yeah.)

Radiant

A player on Linux Mint reports that in Heroine's Quest, the music comes through has garbled and the voices are speaking too fast to comprehend. Does anyone recognize this? We don't usually test on Mint but there appears to be no reason why it shouldn't work.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 11/02/2017 12:26:09
A player on Linux Mint reports that in Heroine's Quest, the music comes through has garbled and the voices are speaking too fast to comprehend. Does anyone recognize this? We don't usually test on Mint but there appears to be no reason why it shouldn't work.

There are three posts just above your question, that discuss very similar issue. I think they also mentioned a possible solution. Haven't tried that myself yet.

Radiant

Great, thanks for the tip.

vdeG

Hi!

I got a question for you guys concerning AGS on Linux;
  I built a fresh Raspberry Pi with the latest Retropie image (4.2)
  I only installed the AGS emulator (which installed all of the packages needed as in the README); they are all up-to-date.
  I downloaded King's Quest 3 Redux, installed it on my PC and then transferred all the files on my MicroSD for my Raspberry Pi.
  When I launch the game (via EmulationStation or commandline), the game is running fine, BUT, the voice acting is not working :( (It is working from my PC with the same files/acsetup.cfg)
  The sound effect and music are working though..
  The file speech.vox is there (I even tried to rename it to SPEECH.VOX). When I launch it from the commandline, I can see a line that notify that the speech file has been found..
  What should I do to make the voice acting work?

Also, when launching the game, I have an error when it is supposed to play the cinematic of the developers; I got an error that it couldn't run the Theora video (something like AGDI.0GV).
  I don't know if this is normal, since it is on Linux.

Thanks!!

sigmich

I've built latest ags engine from git repository (v3.4) on my two Ubuntu 16.04 x64 machines. But speech (voice acting) doesn't work. I am trying it with Wadjet Eyes Games. I've tried so far Blackwell Legacy, Shardlight and Technobabylon. It is the same in all games. It seems there are no other issues instead of missing voice acting.

It seems similar problem as has the poster before me - vdeG.

Any hints how to solve it?

sigmich

Sorry for spaming but I only want to post that problem is solved. Everything works flawlessly incl. voice acting using already built executables downloaded from here http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=54513.0

Crimson Wizard

There was a known issue that voice-over does not work properly in latest master branch and release-3.4.1 branch. It was recently fixed 3.4.1 branch, but not merged to master yet (and not released yet too). Better build/use v3.4.0.16 on Linux for now.

Radiant

Is there a way to either use AgsJoy in Linux, or at least a stub to keep a joypad-based game from crashing under Linux (because the DLL isn't there)?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 15/07/2017 23:11:45
Is there a way to either use AgsJoy in Linux, or at least a stub to keep a joypad-based game from crashing under Linux (because the DLL isn't there)?

I answered similar question here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45348.msg636560971#msg636560971

Other than that, hack engine code and integrate dummy functions linked to plugin function names.

EDIT: I just noticed that we already have agsjoy stubs in the engine. Now I recall that there was an opened issue about some stubs missing.
If I had a full list of functions, I could add them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk