[OLD-1] AGS engine Linux port

Started by BigMc, Sun 03/06/2012 19:04:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

I'm afraid I hadn't heard of that build before. Where can I find it?

vga256

@Radiant:
I'm using toojays' OpenGL implementation here, applied to the 3.4.15 linux sourcetree. You may also want to build a custom Allegro 4.4.3 library to deal with spazzy mouse behaviour. If you're going to distribute this on say, Steam, you'll also want to update the make_ags+libraries script.

blur

I get the following error when compiling from git origin/master:
Code: ags

Linking engine...
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libdumb.a(itrender.o): in function `it_filter':
(.text+0x11f9): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: (.text+0x123a): undefined reference to `__exp_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libdumb.a(itrender.o): in function `update_effects':
(.text+0x404b): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: (.text+0x4079): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libdumb.a(itrender.o): in function `process_tick':
(.text+0x429c): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: (.text+0x42e0): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: (.text+0x4386): undefined reference to `__pow_finite'
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libdumb.a(itrender.o):(.text+0x4c34): more undefined references to `__pow_finite' follow
/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/9/../../../x86_64-linux-gnu/libdumb.a(readmod.o): in function `dumb_read_mod_quick':
(.text+0x8d1): undefined reference to `__log_finite'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [Makefile:40: ags] Error 1

Please send help.

morganw

Does this make any difference?

make USE_BUILT_IN_LIBSRC=1

blur

Cor blimey! Indeed, this works.
The system's libdumb is 0.9.3 while the libdumb in ags source is 0.9.2.

eri0o

Why are you building from source?

I recommend using the Allegro4 from AGS repositories if the sound is broken.

Monsieur OUXX

My game makes AGS Linux crash about half-way through the game. Everything runs fine for about 45 minutes but then something makes it crash, only on Linux, and during a completely innocuous part (nothing special compared to other parts of the game).

Who do I speak to to try and find the cause? It might be an engine memory leak related to sound because the user says that after that point the game crashes randomly.

The game :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wt0sa0692hr1al5/Relic%20of%20the%20Viking%201.1%20LINUX.zip?dl=0

Scenario 1 : crash caused by sound effect :
(debian testing 64bit)
(ran as user, not admin)
1. download file
2. uncompress file
3. open terminal in extracted folder
4. chmod +x IndianaJonesandtherelicoftheviking
5. cd data
6. chmod +x ags64
7. cd ..
8. ./IndianaJonesandtherelicoftheviking

After dong that, play the game (use the walkthrough if needed)
Play until you manage to break the small metal door of the ruin and if falls onto the snow and starts sliding towards the right.
At the exact moment when it hits the ice wall, the game is supposed to play a sound effect. It does play it, but then the user reports that that game hangs indefinitely.

Scenario 2 : trying to work around the sound-related crash issue :
1. download file
2. uncompress file
3. open terminal in extracted folder
4. chmod +x IndianaJonesandtherelicoftheviking
5. cd data
6. chmod +x ags64
7. "run ags64 directly" (I don't know what exact command was used)
The user reports that by running ags64 instead of the launch script (IndianaJonesandtherelicoftheviking), the sound libraries are not loaded. Therefore there's no sound. Therefore the game doesn't crash when trying to play the sound.
BUT there's still an issue:
by disaling sound I managed to get pass the point where the "ice crack" sound was making the game crash. The small cutscene ends properly.
But after that, the game crashes at random. For example if I click on the wall, indy gets close to it and the game crashes.
if I ignore the wall and go to the port, for example, after a few seconds, the game crashes.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Fri 18/12/2020 13:55:46
My game makes AGS Linux crash about half-way through the game. Everything runs fine for about 45 minutes but then something makes it crash, only on Linux, and during a completely innocuous part (nothing special compared to other parts of the game).

Who do I speak to to try and find the cause? It might be an engine memory leak related to sound because the user says that after that point the game crashes randomly.

Could you clarify, does it happen in particular part of the game all the time, or at random parts? In other words, is it location or playtime that is important? Does it happen when the game runs for the time straight, or you can rerun the game, restore the save, and it will crash anyways at about same place?

Does it happen to single person, or any player?

And ofcourse, when it crashes, are there any messages anywhere, e.g. in the terminal (if player runs from terminal)?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 18/12/2020 14:10:27
Could you clarify, does it happen in particular part of the game all the time, or at random parts? In other words, is it location or playtime that is important? Does it happen when the game runs for the time straight, or you can rerun the game, restore the save, and it will crash anyways at about same place?

And ofcourse, when it crashes, are there any messages anywhere, e.g. in the terminal (if player runs from terminal)?

- In a particuar part of the game? :
       "Sound crash" (scenario 1 ) --> YES
       The other crash (scenario 2) --> Seems random

What happens if you reload the game?
    I'll ask the player

I have only one Linux tester :/ There's another guy, I'll ask that guy.

When it crashes, are there any messages anywhere, e.g. in the terminal (if player runs from terminal)?
    I'll ask

Crimson Wizard

Sorry, I forgot to ask, what version of AGS is the linux port (or which commit it's from if built from our repository). And I assume, this does not happen on Windows?

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 18/12/2020 16:48:31
Sorry, I forgot to ask, what version of AGS is the linux port (or which commit it's from if built from our repository). And I assume, this does not happen on Windows?

Correct, it does not happen on Windows.
This was built with AGS 3.5.0.24

eri0o

Which sound driver is the person using? Does it crash with the SDL2 digi sound driver?

IceVAN

Hi, I'm the user he was talking about. I just tried loading the savegame (just before the door thing) getting the door to hit the ice wall and this time it didn't crash :/ , then I went to fill the bucket with sea water and then it crashed (freezing X11/Xfce [so I reseted lightdm to reset the session)]. I tried disabling (compositing [xfce4]), and I followed the same steps and it didn't crashed. I proceeded to open the tunnel in the ice wall and it seems like it's working fine.
Just in case, this is the output from the terminal:
Adventure Game Studio v3.5 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2011 Chris Jones and 2011-2020 others
ACI version 3.5.0.24

Initializing allegro
Initializing game data
Located game data file: /home/icevan/Downloads/Relic of the Viking 1/Relic of the Viking 1.1 LINUX/data/Indiana Jones and the relic of the viking.ags
Opened game data file: game28.dta
Game data version: 50
Compiled with: 3.5.0.24
Setting up game configuration
Logging scipt to "warnings.log"
Data directory: /home/icevan/Downloads/Relic of the Viking 1/Relic of the Viking 1.1 LINUX/data/
audio.vox found and initialized.
Setting up window
Initializing TTF renderer
Initializing keyboard
Initializing mouse: number of buttons reported is 3
Install timer
Sound settings: digital driver ID: 'AUTO' (0xffffffff), MIDI driver ID: 'AUTO' (0xffffffff)
Trying to init: digital driver ID: 'ALSA' (0x414c5341), MIDI driver ID: 'NONE' (0x0)
Warning: cannot enable MIDI audio.
Problem: No compatible drivers found in the system.

You may supress this message by disabling MIDI sound in the game setup.
Installed digital driver ID: 'ALSA' (0x414c5341), MIDI driver ID: 'NONE' (0x0)
Install exit handler
Initialize path finder library
Game GUI version: 119
Requested script API: v3.5.0.7 (7), compat level: v3.3.4 (2)
Game title: 'Indiana Jones and the relic of the viking'
Checking for disk space
Initializing MOD/XM player
Game native resolution: 320 x 200 (32 bit)
Graphic settings: driver: D3D9, windowed: yes, screen def: scaling, screen size: 0 x 0, match device ratio: ignore, game scale: max_round
Requested graphics driver 'D3D9' not found, will try existing drivers instead
Running OpenGL: 3.0
Mouse control: off, base: 1,000000, speed: 1,000000
Initialize sprites
Audio is processed on the main thread
Engine initialization complete
Starting game

And the output from warnings.log:
Script : (room:7)[R 11] Wait() was used in Player Enters Screen - use Enters Screen After Fadein instead

I also have to say I'm using a laptop (lenovo thinkpad x220 [gpu hd3000 & sound blaster play 3 usb]) with an external display and an usb soundcard. When the game hangs it hangs in two ways: The ice sound keeps on a loop and the desktop keeps working but I cannot click anywhere and there're some graphical artifacts and the desktop won't work as expected, forcing me to reset the session. The other way it crashed, is more or less the same but without the sound loop. I'm running the game in windowed mode.

I hope you find anything of this useful.

I'll keep testing. Thanks!.

IceVAN

I managed to finish the game, I'm still not sure what makes the game crash though :( .
I manually edited acsetup.cfg and this time the game worked fine as expected.
original acsetup.cfg:
[misc]
game_width=320
game_height=200
gamecolordepth=32
antialias=0
notruecolor=0
cachemax=131072
user_data_dir=
shared_data_dir=
titletext=Indiana Jones and the relic of the viking
[graphics]
driver=D3D9
windowed=0
screen_def=max
game_scale_fs=proportional
game_scale_win=max_round
filter=stdscale
vsync=0
render_at_screenres=0
[sound]
digiid=-1
midiid=-1
threaded=0
usespeech=1
[language]
translation=
[mouse]
auto_lock=0
speed=1

modified acesetup.cfg:
[misc]
game_width=320
game_height=200
gamecolordepth=32
antialias=0
notruecolor=0
cachemax=131072
user_data_dir=
shared_data_dir=
titletext=Indiana Jones and the relic of the viking

[graphics]
driver=OGL
windowed=0
screen_def=explicit
screen_width=2560
screen_height=1440
game_scale_fs=proportional
game_scale_win=max_round
filter=stdscale
vsync=0
render_at_screenres=0

[sound]
digiid=-1
midiid=-1
threaded=0
usespeech=1

[language]
translation=

[mouse]
control_when=never

IceVAN

Hi again,
I was playing "Off The Clock - Stop time! In space!" and at some point the game crashed with a sound in a loop and a non working UI. Alt+tab didn't work either. I opened a console (via ctrl+alt+f1) and killed "ags64" process. Then I went back to graphics mode only to find desktop wasn't working either. Pretty much, same behaviour as with "Indiana Jones and the relic of the viking".

I downloaded the osx version of "Off The Clock - Stop time! In space!" and copied the game data to the linux port of the engine (ags_3.5.0.27_linux.tar.gz) data folder to make it work.

eri0o

Sorry, can you try the sdl2 digi audio driver?

In case of Off the Clock which AGS Engine are you using?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 20/12/2020 21:31:22
In case of Off the Clock which AGS Engine are you using?

3.5.0.27, tar name is mentioned in the post.

Quote from: IceVAN on Sun 20/12/2020 15:30:47
I downloaded the osx version of "Off The Clock - Stop time! In space!" and copied the game data to the linux port of the engine (ags_3.5.0.27_linux.tar.gz) data folder to make it work.

Note you can use windows exe too, as any engine port can extract data from there.

Monsieur OUXX

FYI I have another Linux user who says he finished my game (exact same release as the one who had issues) without issues :

https://twitter.com/ChiSamurai78/status/1340760139247316992

Crimson Wizard

NOTE: as this thread was started 10 years ago, I closed it and opened a new one with the fully refreshed information in the top post:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59750.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk