Could we have prefixes for the recruitment section? Or a separate offering bit?

Started by Sslaxx, Fri 20/04/2012 15:34:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Sslaxx

At the moment it's all with projects now having their own separate threads, but still only a sticked "Offer your services" thread. Seems a bit off that way - seems to be missing half of the point with a separate recruitment section of the forum.

I'd like to suggest two things:
* Either have prefixes like "[Offering services]" or "[Recruiting]".
* Have a separate "Offer your services" section of the forum (less likely, I'll admit, seeing as there seem to be much fewer offering than recruiting).

Good? Bad? Ugly?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

AGA

Posts have the option to add a little icon (not that people really use them very often).  We could add a couple of specific looking / offering type icons.  That, combined with a prefix like you suggested might help.

That said, the forums already have an "Offer Your Services" feature (where you select the things you're willing the help with in your profile, and a little icon shows up next to your posts).  I could probably throw together a script that checks the database and tells you who is offering their services in each category.

Sslaxx

Quote from: AGA on Fri 20/04/2012 15:44:55
Posts have the option to add a little icon (not that people really use them very often).  We could add a couple of specific looking / offering type icons.  That, combined with a prefix like you suggested might help.

That said, the forums already have an "Offer Your Services" feature (where you select the things you're willing the help with in your profile, and a little icon shows up next to your posts).  I could probably throw together a script that checks the database and tells you who is offering their services in each category.
All of those things sound like they'd definitely be helpful, yes.
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Narushima

Why is there such a strict ban on bumping threads in the recruitment section ?
If somebody has new positions to fill, how are we supposed to know if the thread doesn't get bumped ?
If I look at a thread once and don't see anything I want/can do, why would I look again later ? But later there could be something interesting for me.

Judging by the number of threads and the frequency of their updates, I don't see why bumping for legitimate reasons should be so taboo.

tzachs

I agree with Narushima.
Even if there is no new position, but there is still an unfilled position and a lot of time has passed since the last post, the author should be allowed to bump and remind people imo.
I don't see anything wrong with this as long as it's not bumped every day...
Maybe allow one bump per month?

Tabata

Quote from: Narushima on Fri 27/04/2012 01:08:58
Why is there such a strict ban on bumping threads in the recruitment section ?
If somebody has new positions to fill, how are we supposed to know if the thread doesn't get bumped ?
If I look at a thread once and don't see anything I want/can do, why would I look again later ? But later there could be something interesting for me.

Judging by the number of threads and the frequency of their updates, I don't see why bumping for legitimate reasons should be so taboo.

I'd like to suggest that the owner of a thread should be allowed to bump it in general (in all boards).

Well, not just for the fun of it, of course - but sometimes it makes sense to doubble post or dig up an old thread to report something new (also thinking about the GIP thread and completed games thread) 

AGA

Took a while, but I added Recruiting and Offering Services prefixes to the new topic page on the recruitment forum.  Should make it a bit more obvious what people are posting for now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk